Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have agreed to terms with CFL wide receiver Duron Carter (confirmed)

scooter4910

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't expect the Colts to draft another WR, we have bigger needs and Duron Carter is actually like another draft pick. Colts will bring in a veteran WR and I think it will be Reggie Wayne for one more year with limited playing time but to coach guys like Carter and Moncrief.

smart . guy

Kevin Bowen @KBowenColts
by Colts
The @Colts have agreed to terms with CFL wide receiver Duron Carter (6-5, 205 pounds), the son of NFL Hall of Fame receiver Cris Carter.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Agree-To-Terms-With-CFL-Wide-Receiver-Duron-Carter-Son-Of-Hall-Of-Famer-Cris-Carter/244ac161-b434-4196-b3db-caa0f45a62d3

Wow.  Good height!  Should bring a lot to the offense. 

I think he is just going to be the guy that we are replacing Nicks with.  We're letting Nicks walk and hoping that he can provide as much if not more than Nicks did.   We are definitely keeping Reggie Wayne on if he does not retire.  He provides just as much, if not more, help in the locker room as he does on the field.  Need to keep him on for another year with Moncrief and especially now Carter.  Carter is too much of a loose cannon in my opinion.  Oh we hear how he has changed but his time in the CFL did not really disprove anything that we have heard about him.  As long as, and it shouldnt be, the contract isn't very big and contains more performance based payement.  However, i will hold my judgement til after next season.

“Maturity. Once we did have him and started working with him, we realized how intelligent he was,” Popp recalled. “He’s an extraordinarily intelligent young man. Maybe the thought process of it was because he couldn’t stay in school what kind of student was he, but he’s very, very smart on a high IQ level of smarts…(Maturity) has kicked in and changed quite a bit in a two year span.”

Carter attended four colleges in four years due to grade issues, most notably Ohio State and Alabama, but Popp says Carter has grown since then, including a Wonderlic score higher than 39, the intelligence test usually given to draft prospects to assess aptitude. For perspective, the average score is usually 21, or slightly above an IQ of 100. An NFL personnel man told Paul Zimmerman in his book The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football that the average score for a wide receiver is 17. Some of the notable high scores were by quarterbacks: Aaron Rodgers 35, Tony Romo 37, Colin Kaepernick 37, Eli Manning 39, and Andrew Luckicon-article-link.gif 37. Carter scored higher than all of them.

“His Wonderlic scores are probably as high or above most NFL quarterbacks that come into the NFL,” said Popp. “The different things that have taken place since we’ve had him, even to the point of CFL lawyers from the owners’ side for league meetings of reading a collective (bargaining) agreement, (Carter) knew it like the back of his hand. He had read through it and got into a discussion with a lawyer. He’s one of the guys that will be able to walk in, pick up on things fairly easy, and learn what to do.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Duron-Carters-CFL-GM-As-Talented-As-Any-WR-in-NFL-Draft/3c460cf7-f878-4215-972b-33c3daf60a1c

Duron Carter's deal with the Colts is for 3 years - as a free agent rookie signing the CBA requires the term is that duration

— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora)

February 3, 2015

If that's correct -- and I believe it is -- we're looking at a three year, ~$1.5m contract, with a signing bonus of around $120K, at best. 

Which makes this a GREAT signing.       Talk about low risk/high reward.    This is the model for it.   Nice job Colts.  

Now instead of drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds, they can draft one in a late round or even not at all.

Which makes this a GREAT signing.       Talk about low risk/high reward.    This is the model for it.   Nice job Colts.  

Now instead of drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds, they can draft one in a late round or even not at all.

I think we still have a need at WR, and I think the draft is the best way to take care of it. As much potential as Carter has, I don't think we should rely on him at this point. His red flags are still very real. 

I think we still have a need at WR, and I think the draft is the best way to take care of it. As much potential as Carter has, I don't think we should rely on him at this point. His red flags are still very real. 

Yeah, you cant bank that he WONT get in anymore trouble.  However, I think it was a school problem mostly.  I believe the kid just wanted to play football and not attend class.  Sure he has maturity issues, if he refused to participate, but I think he is old enough to realize this is his best shot in the NFL to succeed.  I'd think Daddy would slap him silly if he was on the verge of screwing this one up!

That being said, I don't think we NEED to draft any WR within the first 5 rounds.  There are other bigger needs out there, now! 

Since we got Heenan at G also, I believe that position isn't as high priority anymore either.  I see him and Thornton competing for that position, that will make them both better in the end.

Duron Carter's deal with the Colts is for 3 years - as a free agent rookie signing the CBA requires the term is that duration

February 3, 2015

If that's correct -- and I believe it is -- we're looking at a three year, ~$1.5m contract, with a signing bonus of around $120K, at best. 

I wasn't very big on Carter before, but 3 years 1.5 M?  That is definitely a steal.  Now I don't feel bad about Nicks walking either...

The more I think about this kid , the more I think he could be a huge bargain. The reports are that he's a very good route runner. This BTW is why Rogers hasn't amounted to anything. Anyway .. the best part of his game is said to be his route running. He no doubt has good speed with some elusiveness. He returned punts and played the slot some. His hands are said to be solid . He's said to measure 6"5" . Uhhhh.. hello ? Other than needed to add strength as he can be jammed at the LOS , he appears to have it all . Plus not bad that Chad Johnson thinks he's a #1 right now.

February 3, 2015

Just saw this posted on PFT. Possibly no signing bonus at all.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/06/colts-deal-for-duron-carter-included-no-signing-bonus-at-all/

“His Wonderlic scores are probably as high or above most NFL quarterbacks that come into the NFL,” said Popp. “The different things that have taken place since we’ve had him, even to the point of CFL lawyers from the owners’ side for league meetings of reading a collective (bargaining) agreement, (Carter) knew it like the back of his hand. He had read through it and got into a discussion with a lawyer. He’s one of the guys that will be able to walk in, pick up on things fairly easy, and learn what to do.”

Has he actually done the Wonderlic? I read something a few years ago from Cris Carter saying they gave Duron a Wonderlic pre-test and he got a 28. A jump to 40+ is pretty unlikely and I suspect he has never done the test and doubt he would ever get a 40.

Has he actually done the Wonderlic? I read something a few years ago from Cris Carter saying they gave Duron a Wonderlic pre-test and he got a 28. A jump to 40+ is pretty unlikely and I suspect he has never done the test and doubt he would ever get a 40.

His coach in Canada was quoted as saying he administered the Wonderlic test to all of his players and that Duron scored higher than 39. He did not give a specific score.

Yet he did a pre-test and scored a 28? Don't buy it.

Oh I am not vouching for the validity of the test, just that the score was reported to be higher than 39. I am not familiar enough with the Wonderlic test to know how easy it would be to increase a score, now I do know that percentage jump for the SAT would be hard to believe.

I'm not sure, but that's his coach or the owner making the comments so I assume he would be aware.