Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's after game comments are 100% correct...

Indeee

Not enough good players on the roster. Yes the Colts have some great players but not enough talent across the board. It's not hard to understand. This is going no where as long as you are so upset with the Colts you are not seeing the big picture.

I am not upset, look at the reality here. We are not as close as some of you think.

Do you really think we are close beating NE?. If Manning was healthy, we couldnt have beaten Denver.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colts have beaten two of those three. Need some key pieces on defense, and a few pieces on the O. The team is much closer to a championship than most of the teams in the league.

"Some" and "few" can be as many as 15 to 20 players in a 53 man roster. You answered it yourself.

Yeah, we look great compared to Jaguars and Raiders if thats how you want to look at it.

Gee, we predominately played a 4 man front against NE. Good eye woodeye.

Although i agree.

We just played Chuck & Manusky`s 4-2. Which was abused many games this season.

NE lined up in a 4-4.

The problem is the LBs were so far off the line of scrimmage, like you said 4-2-5 is not the way to go against a team that wants to run. You can't be in no man's land if you are playing behind a 4 man front as an LB. You have an assigned gap, you need to hit it quick and hard, not after the OL has gathered a few steps of steam. In 2009, when the Colts did well against the run, even that 4th & goal stop vs the Saints in the SB, we had 2 NTs playing the NT and UT. Heck, we had Bullitt and Bethea as safeties, by no means top of the world safeties, but our 2 NTs up front got that stalemate so hard and were hard to move. Gosh, I forget their names - Antonio Johnson and someone else. We could have used that in a game like yesterday. 

Sitting Werner in this game was a bit questionable to me, especially when his backups consist guys like a situational pass rusher Shaun Philips etc. Werner is a SAM backer, he could have been the right backer for a game like the Pats game. Plus, when you have a team missing its starting center from a few games before, you have to test the A gaps early on, I would think???

Although I'm deflated after this latest blow-out, we will regroup over the off season and build a better squad. And we will beat the Pats next year at the Los, and get the #1 seed.

If we don't, we should rename the stadium The Loss.

That salary cap and Draft is a real swine. Stopping us just scooping up all the best players in the land.

darn you NFL...

The buck stops with Irsay. He has recently talked about his vision, but the fact of the matter is he needs to surround his second once in a lifetime QB, with commiserate talent. Polian is three years gone now, and Luck is entering his fourth season.

This is no longer a rebuild or Stalinist five year plan, anymore than it is in Baltimore, Denver, or Pittsburgh.

I'm sorry.....    did I miss the part where Baltimore, Denver and Pittsburgh finished 2-14,  gutted the team, and started over from practically Ground Zero with the number one pick?      I'm sorry,  where was I when that happened.

Don't try to tell us about our team, our franchise.    Concern yourself with yours....

Chuck Pagano supposedly knew defense with the Ravens. He comes to Indy and builds this whack defense. What gives? Why is Indy cursed with perennial softness regardless of whatever Defensive scheme they try, or players or coaches bought in? We get bigger up front and still get pushed around by the Pats like guys on skates. Haven't had a real Nasty truly rugged Colts defense since the team left Baltimore. Teams often reflect the aura of the city they play in. Maybe this is part of the reason for their milk toast approach to defense.

I am not too down. The Colts are still a draft or two away from being where they need to be. As a whole the Colts are pretty young and the future still looks bright.

colts are one of the older teams in the league with guys like adams redding reggie vinny DQ. there will be lots of holes to fill once these guys are gone.

Edited by 21isSuperman

"Some" and "few" can be as many as 15 to 20 players in a 53 man roster. You answered it yourself.

Yeah, we look great compared to Jaguars and Raiders if thats how you want to look at it.

Yeah if that's the best you've got just don't quote me again. Better yet I'm going to just block you, I'm kind of done dealing with a number of people on here.

Sign Terrance Knighton, change more to a 4 man front, let Mathis and Newsome loose together at the edges, make Werner what Rob Morris was, a strongside 4-3 LB (he did enough of that at Florida State too, don't make the mistake that we made with Jerry Hughes in terms of scheme). The 3-4 DEs we have will make better UTs than play 2 gaps, IMO. Both Redding and RJF can play that, IMO.

Hate to say it, the teams that have won the SBs recently (2009 Saints, 2010 Packers, 2011 Giants, 2012 Ravens, 2013 Seahawks), 4 out of those 5 outside the 2010 Packers used four man fronts more often than the 3 man front.

If you stop the run, you can take the chances with your man coverage corners. Otherwise, you are wasting the talent in the secondary. Get better LBs and safeties to complete the defense, that is how the D can be complete.

So.. sign Knighton, a born nose tackle, is your first priority and then change everything to a 4-3 is your second priority? Yikes!

I'm sorry..... did I miss the part where Baltimore, Denver and Pittsburgh finished 2-14, gutted the team, and started over from practically Ground Zero with the number one pick? I'm sorry, where was I when that happened.

Don't try to tell us about our team, our franchise. Concern yourself with yours....

We didn't finish 2-14, but didn't get the advantage of getting Luck. I would rather go 2-14 and get Luck, then 8-8. Why don't you tell us your big plans for your team, your franchise ? We are waiting !

This team has to get tough defensively. We as fan, just like Jim, has watched the Colts teams over the past 12-14 years get manhandled by certain teams in big moments. Every once in awhile they would play aggressive and get lucky, but we have never had a truly physical defense. I don't really question there heart but whats evident is that they get whipped alot from a strength position. Last night Blount looked like a tank compared to our Linebackers, it was embarrassing. Our D-Line got manhandled by an O-Line led by a makeshift center..

Its sad.. I like many are just sick and tired of this same old story :yuk:

I have said for years this team needs to draft a top linebacker in the first round, instead it's receivers, runningbacks, and defensive ends.  If this team gets a RB or WR in the first round I will be sick.  We need a leader in the linebacker core, and needed one for a while.  The Patriots tore us to pieces running up the middle and passing down the middle, all areas for the linebackers and of course the defensive line could help too with the run.  A defensive tackle in the early rounds would also help.  I wouldn't be too upset if they used their first rounder on that, so for me, either linebacker or defensive tackle in the first round, the other in the second, then RG and o-line.  You can usually get solid offensive linemen in the 3rd/4th round.  

I am not upset, look at the reality here. We are not as close as some of you think.

Do you really think we are close beating NE?. If Manning was healthy, we couldnt have beaten Denver.

Manning was plenty healthy enough to throw, he just got beat. Dont try to diminish the win.

I know that Shane. I said we are two drafts away. That is around 12-14 players. Add a couple of smart free agents and we might be good enough to be in the super bowl. Sometimes it takes luck (no put intended). Also till your team can control the penalties and turnovers same thing. I look back on this season and seen some pretty good things. But I also seen the Colts make some pretty bone head penalties at crucial times in the game. Turnovers take the momentum out of the game too.

We didn't finish 2-14, but didn't get the advantage of getting Luck. I would rather go 2-14 and get Luck, then 8-8. Why don't you tell us your big plans for your team, your franchise ? We are waiting !

Dont even ackno

I wouldnt even acknowledge that nonsense. Fans of all teams are welcome here , especially old  Baltimore Colts fans. 

Yeah it's not like Blount and Gary are dominant runningbacks but they've looked like the GOATs vs the Colts. They both seemed to be dragging the defenders around all over the place because they kept consistantly reaching the second level, the bigs didn't really seem to do their job.

Exactly.

Ya. Jerrel freeman is ok, he's not strong enough and lacks ideal size. We need a dontae Hightower type linebacker. Although it was technically josh chapmans rookie year, I'm not giving up on him yet. But redding,Jean francois, and Hughes have got to go. Hughes is so massive, but he gets pushed around by under sized linemen like Dan Connolly,Ryan Wendell,and James Kline, with a combined average weight of freaking 290-300 pounds. They mauled chapman and Hughes, and everyone else!! Horrible sign

Here's a link: http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Jim-Irsay-%E2%80%9CWe-Have-To-Be-Able-To-Be-A-Tougher-Team%E2%80%9D/6f8ec17e-4aa1-42eb-9e03-24f0726b9cd4

“We are going to take it all in,” Irsay said of offseason evaluations. “We are disappointed, also happy that we advanced to the Final Four, that we got to the AFC Championship game.

“The Denver win was incredible on the road. That’s not discounted, although it’s hard to feel the appreciation of that but it’s there when you take in the whole season, starting 0-2, coming back from that. We knew this was a measuring stick that we wanted to get over and we didn’t. It’s disappointing.”

“What’s missing is when you get to this championship level, we have to be able to be a tougher team,” the Colts Owner said late on Sunday night.

“We have to be able to stop the run. We can’t turn it over. I think what’s missing is trying to continue to bring in the team that I talked about, which is a really tough defensive team and can run the ball and surround Andrew (Luck) with that.”

“We are close,” Irsay said. “It feels so deflating. It feels like you're miles away, but you’re not.

“I think you have to take the whole season--how tough it is to win 11 games, how tough it is to win playoff games and get to the AFC Championship game. We aren’t as far away as it looks. Trust me on that. I know that.”

Based on the bolded, I agree with the title of this thread.

Ok if thats whats you like to think.

Thats what I know. The Colts played well and Manning does what he usually does, chokes in the first game. An then afterwards they let it slip somehow he was soo injured to take the heat off another failure. Dont matter what you think the scoreboard read that the Colts won.

So you think an inexperienced team without the right players are going to beat the teams your mentioned? It is not rocket science. The Colts are still a few players away from being good enough. We can whine, cry and point fingers all we care to but it changes nothing. As far as what you call the monster crap, it is a 5 year plan not a three year plan. I understand everyones disappointment but reality is we don't have the players on the team yet to reach the super bowl.

I'm curious- I keep hearing 5 year plan. Where did this come from? the colts or fans? Usually a 3 year plan is the norm with the cap/experience factor.  Not that any plan is guaranteed.

I'm curious- I keep hearing 5 year plan. Where did this come from? the colts or fans? Usually a 3 year plan is the norm with the cap/experience factor.  Not that any plan is guaranteed.

Whether it's a 3 year plan or a 5 year plan, it seems to start over every year......

Thats what I know. The Colts played well and Manning does what he usually does, chokes in the first game. An then afterwards they let it slip somehow he was soo injured to take the heat off another failure. Dont matter what you think the scoreboard read that the Colts won.

I saw the same scoreboard with Pats also and it looked pathetic.

Luck can't do it by himself. We need strong lines on both sides of the ball. I love Luck, am a huge fan and was totally with manning leaving to get Luck. I don't think he deserves to be the highest paid player in the league. Not even close. The way these players get paid is flat out ridiculous.

Andrew Luck is a great talent. But, I think Clyde Christensen is coasting and not giving Luck the direction he needs (like how to throw an arch instead of an arrow into a defender's hands). Luck plays in panic mode most of the time. The coaches are the worst underperformers on this team, and risk losing the respect and desire of the team (see Reggie's comments), but my crystal ball broke, and I can't see into the future.

Andrew Luck is a great talent. But, I think Clyde Christensen is coasting and not giving Luck the direction he needs (like how to throw an arch instead of an arrow into a defender's hands). Luck plays in panic mode most of the time. The coaches are the worst underperformers on this team, and risk losing the respect and desire of the team (see Reggie's comments), but my crystal ball broke, and I can't see into the future.

what were reggie's comments?

Everyone struggles with New England. The problem is getting blown out of the stadium four times in a row. I don't think our defense lacks for toughness, in general, but that front sure does play like gummy bears against the Pats.

There has to be a "tell" in either our personnel or scheme that they've figured out how to exploit, extensively. The thing that annoys me most is that the players don't even seem all that angry about New England smacking them around every game we play each other. I'm not suggesting to resort to dirty play, but I wouldn't be mad if the D had decided to just tee off on Brady with an all out blitz when he was still in the game tossing it around late in the 4th quarter. They don't respect us at all, nor should they as long as we let them continue to bully us every time we meet

In no way do I believe we're on track in year 3 of a 5 year plan - that we're close.  If anything, we're largely starting over.  Werner was a bust.  Most of the free agent money appears to have been wasted on, at best, marginal improvements.  Who knows what Mathis has left.  You have a corner or two - that's about it.   

Starting over? Take a closer look at the good players we do have on the roster. The free agents are expendable.