Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Oline next yr?

Trace Pyott

In light of our recent improvements with the o line what do you see us doing once everyone is healthy and the starters are healthy? Who plays right tackle and of course center? Do you guys see us drafting on the Oline in the 1st round and if so do you see them potentially starting for us next year?

In light of our recent improvements with the o line what do you see us doing once everyone is healthy and the starters are healthy? Who plays right tackle and of course center? Do you guys see us drafting on the Oline in the 1st round and if so do you see them potentially starting for us next year?

need a lg who can pull for run blocking if we want to run the ball behind this o-line, however I am ok with peps current style of pitch outs and short passes to the rbs, mewhort is too slow to pull, but good in pass blocking

I'd honestly keep Castonzo, Mewhort, Holmes, and Reitz where they are in the starting lineup.

No offense to Lance Louis, but I think we should be able to find an upgrade at RG.

This would be great if Reitz could stay healthy. History says that is going to be a problem. I think we need to take a RT to groom for that position. Reitz is a great all around back up but 16 weeks plus the playoffs. That is asking a lot.

We may have the answer on the roster we have 4 O lineman on the IR one on the PS. Next year will be Thorton's 3rd year. IF one of the big names doesn't fall to us like Collins or Flowers maybe we get a guy like Stanley Sambrailo or the kid from Oregon Fisher. I really think RT needs to be addressed in the draft.

Maybe the upgrade at G as well but G's typically aren't as hard to find or as sought after as T's. So we should be able to upgrade Louis easily although he has played pretty good of late. We will have Thorton coming back maybe something will click for him or Harrison can kick out to G. Lots of possibilities for the G spot. T's aren't as easy to come by.

We keep the right side Castanzo is going to want a big contract we are going to almost have to pay, Mewhort has been great for a rookie. Holmes, Reitz, Shipley, Thornton and Nixon are great depth, D Thomas I don't see us keeping with his injury issues. Cherilus we are stuck with because of his contract so heres to hoping he can return to his 2013 form.. this being sayd we need a Guard and a Tackle or a Guard and a Center or all 3 if im concerned

I think Cherilus will bounce back. He was solid in pass protection last season. I honestly believe we'll sign a stud Guard because nothing else is going to work. I'm hoping for this. Castanzo-Iupati-Holmes-Mewhort-Cherilus. Our backups would be Reitz, Shipley, Thornton, and John/Louis. As I said I believe Cherilus will bounce back but in case he didn't we'd have Reitz or maybe even John to replace him. Another thing I could possibly see is us sign Iupati and draft a Guard in the 2nd or 3rd and put Mewhort at RT. I know our line has been great these last 2 games but I don't believe starting Lance Louis is logical next season.

Cherilus will likely be back next year at RT.

Thornton will likely be the lead candidate at RG.

I hope we sign a veteran interior OL to replace Thomas who I do not expect back.

But....  all that said,   I really hope we take an OL in the first.    We need more talent on the o-line.   When our offense stalls, the number one reason is the o-line.

If want to see what a great o-line can do,  just simply cast your eyes to Dallas.    Three first round picks on the OL, and suddenly their offense is hard to handle...

This would be great if Reitz could stay healthy. History says that is going to be a problem. I think we need to take a RT to groom for that position. Reitz is a great all around back up but 16 weeks plus the playoffs. That is asking a lot.

We may have the answer on the roster we have 4 O lineman on the IR one on the PS. Next year will be Thorton's 3rd year. IF one of the big names doesn't fall to us like Collins or Flowers maybe we get a guy like Stanley Sambrailo or the kid from Oregon Fisher. I really think RT needs to be addressed in the draft.

Maybe the upgrade at G as well but G's typically aren't as hard to find or as sought after as T's. So we should be able to upgrade Louis easily although he has played pretty good of late. We will have Thorton coming back maybe something will click for him or Harrison can kick out to G. Lots of possibilities for the G spot. T's aren't as easy to come by.

Also should be noted that Reitz is a free agent and as you mention , has a hard time staying on he field. So not a sure thing to be back next year.

Rb first round I like boom but Gordan yelden would be nice maybe 2nd round a line man or a secondary man to boost it up if like to sign a line man or some nice peices on defense for cheep

I think if we've learned anything, its that the offensive line is the most important ingredient to the running game and good quality running backs can be found much later in the draft.  No more 1st rounders should be spent on that position.  I'd like to see them go BPA at Oline, LB, or safety in the first-second and grab one of the Rb's somewhere in the 3-5 rds or later.  just my preference.

Keep AC, Jack, and Holmes as starters. I think we need another Guard to replace Lance, and I would like a young RT to compete with Reitz, may the best man win.

I think we should and will cut Gosder. He has a huge salary and we will save a ton.

Honesty, our draft next year will be very interesting. Do we go o-line? Do we have to get a wr to replace Reggie and Nicks if they're both gone? What about running backs? Lots of questions. Let's go win this super bowl first!

In addition to going into a season with starters at LT LG C RG RT you really need to have a line that can readjust if someone goes down. This can be accomplished through having a couple versatile players along the line and at least 1 or 2 backups who can fill in at a few spots and get the job done. Seeing as there are 5 guys out there, the odds that all 5 will always be healthy are low. Castonzo has become a franchise LT, Mewhort looks like he's going to be a good LG with possible flexibility to play RT as well. Holmes needs to make some improvements, but he looks like he's got the tools to be the starting C going forward. As far as RG goes I doubt that Louis long term answer Thornton hasn't had a great first 2 seasons so I could see us bringing in someone to play there. At RT it depends on what we do with Gosder Cherlius - if we keep him he'll start; If we release him it's either going to be Retiz or someone new via draft or (less likely) free agency. If Reitz isn't a starter, he's a pretty depth guy. Ulrick John is a guy who might make the roster as a back up as well. 

I think our most pressing need is RT.  We were fortunate last year that Cherilus stayed healthy and I expect next year to be similar to this year.  I'd draft a RT prospect early and stick with what we have at guard, possibly bringing in a veteran for depth depending on who is available.

I honestly think that if Cherilus returns to form, RG is our only spot of concern. Holmes is good, Mewhort is good, and Castonzo is pro bowl caliber.

Big concern about both Cherilus and Holmes is 'can they stay healthy?' -- Cherilus had some big red flags about his knee when we signed him in the first place and I think we may have been lucky to get a good season and a half from him.  Given the fact we have Harrison (who, IMO, is a decent starter and a solid backup), we can probably slide without taking another center -- hoping Holmes stays healthy but knowing Harrison can fill in if needed.  Reitz has looked pretty good but he has just as much trouble staying healthy as Cherilus, so I think we need to look at upgrading RT.  Then there is always a possibility they could try to transition Mewhort to that spot.

Do you give Donald Thomas a shot at RG?

Wouldn't bank on Thornton, so I'll draft another Guard. Wouldn't shock me to draft another Tackle as well for back up purposes( don't know if Ulrick John has it or not)

Thomas looked good in the small amount of time he played last season -- but he's missed almost 2 full seasons due to injury so I don't think it's a smart bet to count on him -- even if he is fully healthy, 2 seasons away from the game may mean he'll be rusty or that he might need some time to work back up to game speed.  Ulrick John was drafted as a developmental player and got hurt -- I think he has a lot of potential/upside but I think it's premature to think we can count on him for anything at this point (though, I guess Grigs and coaches will know how he is progressing better than any of us).

Costanzo/Mewhort/Holmes or Harrison/Draft or FA/Cherilus

Wouldn't mind starting Reitz at RG honestly, I think he is a pretty good guard. Center, I would see who improves the most between Harrison and Holmes and start him. 

One of the good things with Holmes is that he can play guard if needed -- I'd prefer to see him at center, but if Harrison improves I don't think it'd be terrible to have Harrison at C and Holmes at G.  However, I'm pretty concerned about Holmes', Reitz's, Thornton's and Cherilus' injury issues - I think we definitely have to get another T on this team -- or I'd be happy if we get a player like Mewhort who can play G or T. 

I thought Holmes played pretty well Sunday. I think he's won the job and as long as he can stay healthy it's his job. The other 2 spots tho, I think will be a little trickier to solve. Is Cherilus going to recover? I still see us drafting a G and a T or signing a FA G or T.

LT: Castanzo. Time to pay the man. He's been great. We do need someone for depth though. 

LG: Mewhort has played pretty well, especially for a rookie. Reitz is excellent depth here and plays great next to Castanzo at LG. 

C: Holmes is light years better than Harrison at Center. If we can keep Shipley for depth, I'm all for it. It seems the coaching staff doesn't care for Shipley though for some reason. 

RG: Plenty of options here.

Reitz has been playing good at RT, but is better at Guard. I'd love for him to be at RG, but he can't seem to stay healthy. 

Thornton was not good at RG. Harrison actually looked ok at RG, but I really don't care for him at Center. Louis has been playing surprisingly well there as of late also. 

RT: Cherilus is up one year and down the next so if history repeats, he should be good next year. I don't know the cap hit he is to us, but I know he was the highest paid RT at the time, and he sure hasn't played like one. I wouldn't be upset if we draft a RT in the 2st round if one falls, or get one in FA. Reitz has certainly been doing ok in Cherilus' absence and has great footwork. 

I can see the Colts spending a top (rounds 1 thru 3) pick on a RT to back-up/take over for Cherilus but I think the starting line is pretty well set.

AC/Mewhort/Holmes/Thornton/Cherilus

The Colts will still have Reitz, Nixon, Ulrich and Harrison as the back-ups.  Ulrich may fill that spot at RT.  The biggest knock on him was his weight (6'5" 280+ lbs.).

I can't believe how many people don't see the cause/effect of the line.  When Shipley was the center, Thornton looked like he made good strides, even Louis looked like a servicable back-up.  Harrison is at center and people complain about Thornton, they complain about Louis.  Shipley comes in at center again and Holmes comes in at guard and Holmes look descent at guard.  Holmes comes in at center and all of a sudden Louis looks like a good guard.  

It's not the guard play, it's been the center play.  I've been trying to tell the forum that every since Harrison was named the starting center.  People were like, "he's so strong, he has great upside, he has more potential, he's playing better than Shipley, blah, blah, blah."  I don't know about Thornton's health but based on his play before he got injured, and interior of Mewhort/Holmes/Thornton will be one of the better interiors next year.

All of you keep mentioning Reitz. OK... once again.. he's an unrestricted free agent. Is he a lock to sign with the Colts ? I think not as he has often been relegated to a back up position when it was very possible he was better than the guy playing in front of him. He's shown very well this year other than that first game at RT. So very possible he looks for a better opportunity to start and also possible the Colts don't want to invest much in an injury prone guy that hasn't started (not a lot anyway) unless there's an injury .

All of you keep mentioning Reitz. OK... once again.. he's an unrestricted free agent. Is he a lock to sign with the Colts ? I think not as he has often been relegated to a back up position when it was very possible he was better than the guy playing in front of him. He's shown very well this year other than that first game at RT. So very possible he looks for a better opportunity to start and also possible the Colts don't want to invest much in an injury prone guy that hasn't started (not a lot anyway) unless there's an injury .

Ahh, I didn't know he was going to be an UFA after this season.  Thanks for the info.

We keep the right side Castanzo is going to want a big contract we are going to almost have to pay, Mewhort has been great for a rookie. Holmes, Reitz, Shipley, Thornton and Nixon are great depth, D Thomas I don't see us keeping with his injury issues. Cherilus we are stuck with because of his contract so heres to hoping he can return to his 2013 form.. this being sayd we need a Guard and a Tackle or a Guard and a Center or all 3 if im concerned

lmao!

What's his market? He's been a backup and spot starter for four years now, mostly held back by his own injury situation. He has talent and versatility, tackle size... 

What's his market? He's been a backup and spot starter for four years now, mostly held back by his own injury situation. He has talent and versatility, tackle size... 

That's the million $ question. Certainly not going to get a big contract but very possible another team values him higher than the Colts do. No doubt a tough player to gauge his value.

Ahh, I didn't know he was going to be an UFA after this season.  Thanks for the info.

Yeah .. really just a guess if Thomas and or Reitz are back in 2015. I think we end up releasing Thomas as 3.5 mill is too much considering what's transpired. Usually when you don't pay a player his scheduled base , he ends up signing elsewhere. But who knows on that one. As for Reitz , I think the Colts will try to keep him. Pretty versatile and effective player.

Cherilus is going to be making too much money not to get his spot back next year. And when he is 100% he's excellent anyways. The only way he isn't back is if someone (be it a player already with the team or a rookie/FA)really outplays him in training camp for a spot, which wouldn't be easy. But if it did happen, you'd have to trade him.

RG is a toss up though.

Yeah .. really just a guess if Thomas and or Reitz are back in 2015. I think we end up releasing Thomas as 3.5 mill is too much considering what's transpired. Usually when you don't pay a player his scheduled base , he ends up signing elsewhere. But who knows on that one. As for Reitz , I think the Colts will try to keep him. Pretty versatile and effective player.

I like Reitz and he is a heck of a player, just wish he could stay healthy.  Now maybe that he is at the weight he wants to be his training regiment will change to focus more on durability and less on growth.

I don't see any way Thomas remains with the Colts.  Two years of season ending injuries and the emergence of Mewhort, there is no reason to keep him, he's not even reliable depth.

Like many have said, I would get a Guard, and continue to develop Mewhort at the other Guard. And possibly get a Center. Holmes is learning though. I think Cherilus will be back and be solid, not great. Castonzo is becoming solid, not great, but still hasn't reached his potential.  In summary, 2 good O-lineman away from doing what we want to do on offense, run and pass.

I like Reitz and he is a heck of a player, just wish he could stay healthy.  Now maybe that he is at the weight he wants to be his training regiment will change to focus more on durability and less on growth.

I don't see any way Thomas remains with the Colts.  Two years of season ending injuries and the emergence of Mewhort, there is no reason to keep him, he's not even reliable depth.

I agree with you but if Reitz moves on , maybe at least a long shot Thomas stays ? He's (IMO) going to have to do something close to vet minimum with incentives no matter who he signs with. So if we just have louis and Thornton for him to compete with , maybe he's better off giving the Colts a deal ?

I can see the Colts spending a top (rounds 1 thru 3) pick on a RT to back-up/take over for Cherilus but I think the starting line is pretty well set.

AC/Mewhort/Holmes/Thornton/Cherilus

The Colts will still have Reitz, Nixon, Ulrich and Harrison as the back-ups.  Ulrich may fill that spot at RT.  The biggest knock on him was his weight (6'5" 280+ lbs.).

I can't believe how many people don't see the cause/effect of the line.  When Shipley was the center, Thornton looked like he made good strides, even Louis looked like a servicable back-up.  Harrison is at center and people complain about Thornton, they complain about Louis.  Shipley comes in at center again and Holmes comes in at guard and Holmes look descent at guard.  Holmes comes in at center and all of a sudden Louis looks like a good guard.  

It's not the guard play, it's been the center play.  I've been trying to tell the forum that every since Harrison was named the starting center.  People were like, "he's so strong, he has great upside, he has more potential, he's playing better than Shipley, blah, blah, blah."  I don't know about Thornton's health but based on his play before he got injured, and interior of Mewhort/Holmes/Thornton will be one of the better interiors next year.

I agree with the Center stuff, but the jury to me is still out on Thornton, to me he seemed to regress a little this year & hurt again? He might be injury prone?

Agree here Thomas is gone & I like Reitz a lot,, unfortunately he may have played to good this year & someone might really PAY HIM!! rrrrr :fear: