Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Newsome wins AFC Defensive Player of W17.

MTC

He was essentially unblocked on both of his sacks.  Not sure I would say he had the biggest impact on the defensive side of the ball in the AFC last week.  Nice honor but just goes to show the people voting on these awards just look at stats and not how or why those stats happened.  

He was essentially unblocked on both of his sacks.  Not sure I would say he had the biggest impact on the defensive side of the ball in the AFC last week.  Nice honor but just goes to show the people voting on these awards just look at stats and not how or why those stats happened.  

I agree.  Not trying to take anything away from Newsome...I like him a lot and can't wait to see how he can continue to develop, but I don't think he was even touched on either sack in that game.  

I think you all took my question the wrong way. I legitimately wanted to know if I was thinking of this week or last week. There was No need for 2 smartbutt replies because you both think I'm ragging on Newsome or some other such nonsense. Grow up.

No, that's literally the answer. They're only giving the awards to players in the playoffs.

No idea why Newsome got it over the others but this was not award that only players on postseasons teams were eligible for.

I already explained why he got it. The same reason Geno Smith, who put up a perfect passer rating, didn't get it.

I already explained why he got it. The same reason Geno Smith, who put up a perfect passer rating, didn't get it.

I see your opinion on the winners but nothing official in your explanation.  Is there some league week 17 mandate on winners are only from playoff teams?  I see something on NFL.com that suggests ARod won over the likes of Jordan Matthews who certainly is not going to the playoffs which implies what I said earlier - this is an award that was available for all players to win.

Indianapolis Colts – Performances of Note

Jonathan Newsome, OLB: +5.3

Breakdown: With Bjoern Werner inactive and Erik Walden rested for most of the game, it gave the fifth-round rookie from Ball State a chance to step up. Newsome generated consistent pressure, recording two sacks and five hurries and was also effective against the run, recording four stops.

Signature Stat: Newsome led 3-4 outside linebackers in Week 17 in both Run Stop Percentage (20.0% stop rate) and in Pass Rushing Productivity at 24.0.

Read it on Twitter and Reddit.

Although all the winners of weekly awards were on playoff teams, I can find no source where the NFL says this is true. I actually can't find one source period.

(Twitter and reddit are not sources)

Although all the winners of weekly awards were on playoff teams, I can find no source where the NFL says this is true. I actually can't find one source period.

(Twitter and reddit are not sources)

Meh, might be wrong then. No biggie. Weird that Houston or Watt didn't get it. Especially with the name recognition.