Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Duron Carter Visiting Colts Next Week

Bluefire4

Looks like Duron Carter is making his way around different teams. We've all heard the news of mutual interest and it seems like the Colts will be aggressively trying to sign him. (though he can't be officially signed until February.)

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/12/30/7471109/duron-carter-to-visit-the-colts

I think Jan 5 RT“@UKColtsFans: @criscarter80 when is @DC_CHILLIN_8 visiting Indy?”

Duron Carter had his 1st NFL visit today, in Tampa. Also scheduled to visit MIN, KC, and IND on tis first leg. Son of HOF WR Cris Carter

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moncrief might argue that there are 4 teams.

I think Moncrief is pretty happy to be where he is. A winning team with a good young QB. It is typically year 3 that WR's break out. He could still be in Mississippi or worse. His rookie year and he is preparing to play in a home playoff game. Doesn't get much better than that.  

I don't get the hype over Carter other than who his daddy is I think he has had 124 receptions in 2 years some cat had 112 this year alone up north. He tried the big leagues in 2013 and couldn't make it with the Vikes or NO.

Don't get me wrong I hope he is great and he comes to Indy but I would not be beating on it.  What is the contract situation is it a bidding war or does he fall under a rookie max contract. I wouldn't invest a lot of money in someone who has done nothing in the NFL or at OSU or Alabama or Florida Atlantic.

I take that back I hope we learned our lesson with Rodgers this kid sounds like another knucklehead he couldn't make grades at any school has a poor attitude blah blah blah. Sign a real NFL WR and move on.

I agree. His history is not something the Colts needs to deal with. I don't care who his father is because that means zero in the NFL. This kid hasn't proved himself in collage so let some other team take a flyer on him.

If I remember right his father wasn't much different at that age.

Your memory fails you badly my friend Daddy Carter was a fantastic WR for the Ohio State Buckeyes made one of the greatest catches in Buckeye history. Was named to the OSU All Century team and inducted into the Ohio State Football Hall of Fame.

He did lose his Senior year for signing a secret contract with an agent or some nonsense but make no mistake Cris Carter could and did ball. He left OSU the all time leader in receptions not sure if that record still stands or not. He was drafted out of college his kid couldn't make a PS or get on a college field. If he wasn't Cris Carter's son no one would give two hoots about Duron

• Your memory fails you badly my friend Daddy Carter was a fantastic WR for the Ohio State Buckeyes made one of the greatest catches in Buckeye history. Was named to the OSU All Century team and inducted into the Ohio State Football Hall of Fame.

He did lose his Senior year for signing a secret contract with an agent or some nonsense but make no mistake Cris Carter could and did ball. He left OSU the all time leader in receptions not sure if that record still stands or not. He was drafted out of college his kid couldn't make a PS or get on a college field. If he wasn't Cris Carter's son no one would give two hoots about Duron

Sorry should have been more specific. I ment his personality traits not his athletic skills

•  

Your memory fails you badly my friend Daddy Carter was a fantastic WR for the Ohio State Buckeyes made one of the greatest catches in Buckeye history. Was named to the OSU All Century team and inducted into the Ohio State Football Hall of Fame.

He did lose his Senior year for signing a secret contract with an agent or some nonsense but make no mistake Cris Carter could and did ball. He left OSU the all time leader in receptions not sure if that record still stands or not. He was drafted out of college his kid couldn't make a PS or get on a college field. If he wasn't Cris Carter's son no one would give two hoots about Duron

College stats are great and all, but you have to do it in the NFL. There are exceptions, but rookie WRs seldom have huge rookie seasons. Carter caught all of five passes during his rookie season, so I'd relax about Moncrief's season.

I think Moncrief is pretty happy to be where he is. A winning team with a good young QB. It is typically year 3 that WR's break out. He could still be in Mississippi or worse. His rookie year and he is preparing to play in a home playoff game. Doesn't get much better than that.  

I don't get the hype over Carter other than who his daddy is I think he has had 124 receptions in 2 years some cat had 112 this year alone up north. He tried the big leagues in 2013 and couldn't make it with the Vikes or NO.

Don't get me wrong I hope he is great and he comes to Indy but I would not be beating on it.  What is the contract situation is it a bidding war or does he fall under a rookie max contract. I wouldn't invest a lot of money in someone who has done nothing in the NFL or at OSU or Alabama or Florida Atlantic.

A bidding war over a prospect from Canada?  At most you're talking about which team is going to shell out 200k in a signing bonus, plus close to vet minimum on a per year basis.

Signings like this make plenty of sense as they cost nearly nothing in terms of compensation, and you get highly motivated players who may or may not have the talent to make it.

I take that back I hope we learned our lesson with Rodgers this kid sounds like another knucklehead he couldn't make grades at any school has a poor attitude blah blah blah. Sign a real NFL WR and move on.

Real NFL receivers cost money.  When we've invested relatively high picks in Hilton, Moncrief, Allen, and Fleener, it makes sense to round out some of the roster with up and comers behind them.  That could be more draft selections, or UDFA, or players from Canada.

As for poor attitude, no two players are identical.  Rodgers problem was marijuana.  From what I am reading here, Carter's problem was academics.  Academics are hardly a problem in the NFL.  If the kid is a team player and has the talent to make it, it would he'd be a good prospect to develop as depth behind Hilton and Moncrief.  And as I mentioned before, it would cost nearly nothing to bring him in, which is a good thing with some major contracts looming in the near future.

Word is basically that his poor attitude etc had to do with the fact that he hated school, not that he got in trouble with the law or caused problems in the locker room/broke team rules etc.

If that's the case then it shouldn't be a problem.  NFL players don't have to go to classes, just make meetings about football.

And Rodgers didn't work out but so what. . . what did we lose with Rodgers?  All we had was fan disappointment because we where thinking that we had gotten a high level WR for nothing.  Rodgers received no signing bonus and was on min salary the whole time he was here.  

Bringing in kids like this is a no risk situation, they don't get big money or signing bonsues, If only 1 in 10 work out it's more then worth it.  

I agree. His history is not something the Colts needs to deal with. I don't care who his father is because that means zero in the NFL. This kid hasn't proved himself in collage so let some other team take a flyer on him.

Don't understand what the opposition is here to taking a flyer out on him.  You realize that what it means is we bring him into training camp, see what he has and if he's one of the best 5 WR's there he makes the roster.  If he's not we cut him and lose nothing.  He's not getting signed for this season.

Do you realize how many lesser prospects we take a flyer on and every team takes a flyer on in training camp?

It almost feels like you think fans being disappointed about a player not working out is real damage to the team.

I don't know too much about this kid but here are the questions the team needs answered.

1. Any health issues. Can he pass the physical

2. What is his viewpoint of the game of team NFL football

3. Can he run basic routes and catch during the workout

4. Can he dedicate him self to film study, make all team meetings, strength train and all those details that nobody sees athletes do on the field

#4 is where the team will either sign or pass him on IMHO. I don't care that he didn't want to learn world history or take psychology 105. What I need to know, if I'm interviewing him, can you take the 8 hours+ a day during the season to learn the game plan and film study etc...? If the coaches buy into his ability to study those things properly, I'm sure they don't give a crap whether he studies outside life events, they want a baller not a scholar

He may have been referring to Carter's substance abuse problems.  Carter was an all time great for us at OSU.

Duron doesn't seem to have an off field issues that I know about.  According to his dad, he just didn't want to go to school.  Hey, college isn't for everyone and eventually the NCAA is going to realize that and schools will have special programs for kids who only want to pursue athletics.

I haven't watched any of his CFL tape, but apparently he's learned the pro game pretty well and has all the skills.  I try not to get too excited, some went overboard when we signed Heyward-Bey and Nicks.  Let's get him first and see if he can run routes.

When I watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXnNhB5AUtQ#t=107

his ability on screens looks very Demaryius Thomas

and his deep ball ability looks better.

also his QB is constantly under-throwing him. With a QB like Luck I'd be very excited if we got him.

You might be right. I would happily take back my negative comments about him! :huthut:

Word is basically that his poor attitude etc had to do with the fact that he hated school, not that he got in trouble with the law or caused problems in the locker room/broke team rules etc.

If that's the case then it shouldn't be a problem.  NFL players don't have to go to classes, just make meetings about football.

And Rodgers didn't work out but so what. . . what did we lose with Rodgers?  All we had was fan disappointment because we where thinking that we had gotten a high level WR for nothing.  Rodgers received no signing bonus and was on min salary the whole time he was here.  

Bringing in kids like this is a no risk situation, they don't get big money or signing bonsues, If only 1 in 10 work out it's more then worth it.  

I hope you are right. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. He did do pretty good up in Canada so who knows?

When I watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXnNhB5AUtQ#t=107

his ability on screens looks very Demaryius Thomas

and his deep ball ability looks better.

also his QB is constantly under-throwing him. With a QB like Luck I'd be very excited if we got him.

What stands out to me most is his body control.

However although it's hard to tell from a video, I'm concerned if he has the speed to be any kind of a deep threat in the NFL.  He can outrun those guys in Canada, but can he do it in the big leagues?  Looks can be deceiving but he honestly doesn't look that fast.

What stands out to me most is his body control.

However although it's hard to tell from a video, I'm concerned if he has the speed to be any kind of a deep threat in the NFL.  He can outrun those guys in Canada, but can he do it in the big leagues?  Looks can be deceiving but he honestly doesn't look that fast.

He appears to be a 4.6 guy, so definitely not the fastest.  But Reggie is currently one of our best receivers and he was never considered a burner.  I'd imagine this guy runs as fast or faster than Reggie, so what really matters is his ability to catch/run routes/etc.  TY and Moncrief are both quite able to take the top off a defense.

well.... I don't think anyone died in tampa bay this year.

Yes, they did. Mike Evans is a freak of nature and it's amazing what he did in that crap situation. Josh McCown is probably the worst starting QB in football behind the worst offensive line in football, playing in an offense with a substitute offensive coordinator who didn't know what he was doing.

Vincent Jackson had 70 receptions on 138 targets which is just over 50% catch rate which is good for 8th worst in football. 

Hmmm...from what little we can see from the highlights on YouTube, he seems to have good size and good hands. Gotta remember, though, this is a highlight video.  There are hundreds of former WR hopefuls who had some impressive stuff on line too, but still got cut in camp. You really can't tell much about his speed from these clips, although he appears to be at least "adequate".  His 40 speed has been timed as "in the 4.5s". That's Griff Whalen speed, not TY speed. What we really can't know at this point is if he can absorb the playbook, run good routes and get separation from a real NFL corner.  So what the heck? Give the kid a shot in camp, but don't expect him to be the second coming of Megatron.

He appears to be a 4.6 guy, so definitely not the fastest.  But Reggie is currently one of our best receivers and he was never considered a burner.  I'd imagine this guy runs as fast or faster than Reggie, so what really matters is his ability to catch/run routes/etc.  TY and Moncrief are both quite able to take the top off a defense.

Yeah I'm not saying it will hamper him from playing in the NFL, but I just don't see him getting open deep on the fly routes like he was in several of the CFL highlights.  Also remembering that there is no illegal motion penalty in the CFL, so the fact that he's allowed to build up speed ahead of time may have helped him in these cases.

I think the big thing is if he can pick up the route running.  He looks like he has the hands and body control.  But he has to run sharp routes and run the right routes.  Especially since he just doesn't look like he's gonna burn people.

Moncrief might argue that there are 4 teams.

That's absolutely ridiculous. He ended his rookie season with 450 yards and 3 TDs on a team where he started at best as the 6th target. That's very respectable for any rookie receiver. There's no doubt he will play a bigger role going forward.

Oh, and he also has a QB throwing to him who just threw for the most TDs and the 3rd most yards this season. I doubt he's complaining about that.

Carter would be a welcome addition considering that outside of Moncrief and Hilton, there are going to be no real threats at the WR position after this season (presuming that Wayne retires after this year).

TY Hilton, Donte Moncrief, Hakeem Nicks, Duron Carter, (possibly Reggie Wayne), Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Jack Doyle. We will be looking pretty good. :)