Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Belichick is the best....and I HATE saying that.

cmgww

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 interceptions by our defense and you say that was preparation?

Again no has to agree with me but our team beat ourselves.

Getting manhandled for 244 yards rushing and 4 rush TDs, Colts backs ran for a combined 4 yards on 14 carries, Pats were 9-12 on third down

but yea I guess you are right Colts beat themselves

Getting manhandled for 244 yards rushing and 4 rush TDs, Colts backs ran for a combined 4 yards on 14 carries, Pats were 9-12 on third down

but yea I guess you are right Colts beat themselves

You watch Luck's video about the team that was posted Monday on colts.com. He was right, we had missed opportunity. Have to keep fighting as a team

He record as a GM is questionable. He's had to use free agency because his drafting has been rather forgettable.

Wait..What? The last time I checked free agency manipulation was part of the GM umbrella. Is this a derogatory remark against selecting Aaron Hernandez? I don't recall any GM having a perfect batting average.

So any talented player obtained in free agency doesn't count? Reggie White...Deion Sanders...Neither Ron Wolf or Jerry Jones get credit as GM successes for those additions either? That's crazy.  

Wait..What? The last time I checked free agency manipulation was part of the GM umbrella. Is this a derogatory remark against selecting Aaron Hernandez? I don't recall any GM having a perfect batting average.

So any talented player obtained in free agency doesn't count? Reggie White...Deion Sanders...Neither Ron Wolf or Jerry Jones get credit as GM successes for those additions either? That's crazy.

Sure it counts, but it doesn't take a genius to pay a guy like Darrel Revis, or Deion Sanders. That's like crediting Ryan Grigson for selecting Andrew Luck. Even if you look at his free agency aquisitions/trades it's hit and miss. And again, I didn't say he needed to be perfect, but the person I was responding to said he doesn't get enough credit as a gm.....but that's because it's been hit or miss.

Aaron Hernandez? He didn't even enter my mind.

Belichick is a master of play structure and timing (given the capabilities of his personnel).  The Colts were flummoxed by the explosiveness of the runs through the Pat's O-line.  The were not prepared for the fast tempo of the play development.

So there are two things as a coach you need to plan for in a game: What you can reasonably expect, and what is totally unexpected.

Belichick: hey Josh, what's the game plan against the Colts?

McDaniels: same as 10 months ago when we ran the ball down their throats in the playoffs.

Belichick: sounds good

Media: Belichick is a genius

In my mind, Belichick takes the Colts a bit more personally than he does even the teams within his own division. Whether it was the two losses in 2006, the failed 4th down attempt in 2009 on national television or the long rivaled history- whatever it is, he has extra preparation when it comes to The Indianapolis Colts...And, he and his coaching staff are simply the best in the business. There is no one close...The Colts clearly could not adjust quickly enough in that game this past Sunday night. Belicheck has his typical surprise (variable) and then proceeds to make adjustments during the course of the game...The greatest strenghs of any team are always targeted in a Belicheck scheme...

Um guys, I don't think the Patriots planned not passing the ball very much.  I believe they just saw the Colts couldn't tackle or slow Gray down, so they kept with it.  Probably the same with the game last year in the playoffs.  I mean if you could drive a car to town or walk which way would you choose?  Running the ball was safer and more effective, so why pass?  BB isn't that clever to say, "We have Tom Brady, but you know what?  I think I wont put the ball in our best players hand!  Let's just do something else.  Oh yeah we will run the ball"  It was pretty apparent by the 2nd quarter the Colts were having issues with the Patriots run game.  Belichick and McDaniels were just going along with it.

We didn't lose because of the officials or it was a bad day.  We got beat because the Patriots are a better football team!  I hate saying it too, but I'm not dulisional or in denial about who the Colts are.  They are a very good football team, but far from the best.  They didn't play their best game, but even if they did, it would've been difficult to beat the Patriots on that night.  Now to say if we meet them in the playoffs it will be the same is false, but we have a lot of growing up to do, before we could go into foxboro or denver and be the better team

Do you really believe that?

It's an obvious over-simplification, but yes. If you have proven you can run the ball down a teams throat, why change? I don't remember people calling Jack Del Rio a genius because his game plan was to give the ball to MJD 30 times when he faced the Colts lol

McDaniels: same as 10 months ago when we ran the ball down their throats in the playoffs.

So true.

And lets not forget now only does it make Belichick a genius. But, the game further showed the greatness of Tom Brady too. I mean wow those two first half picks were spectacular and he handed the ball off like the GOAT. 

Put simply....he takes everything you thought was going to happen and turns it 180 degrees in reverse. The Colts had been gearing up for two weeks to stop Gronk....what does BB do? Keeps him in to block, puts in a 7th lineman (making it an 8 man running front) and stays on the ground to the tune of 230 rushing yards. I mean, we had a 87 page "How do we stop Gronk" thread on here for two weeks...and he had, wait for it, 4 catches for 71 yards. And take away the TD run after catch and it's more like 4 for 50. This from a guy who burned the Bears for 149 yards. That's the infuriating genius of BB. They can air it out like they did against the Bears (Brady 5 TDs and 350+ yards) or ground and pound. It didn't matter who was playing RB last night, bc we were beaten by the scheme! 8 on 7 wins in the running game. Yeah we didn't help ourselves with missed tackles, but we just didn't adjust. And Art Jones (healthy) would have been nice to have. Not saying we win, but he is a presence that would have commanded double teams and freed up our LBs to make plays.

When they did pass, it was off play action. Since the run was working, our guys bit, hard. Naturally.

So, yes, we got spanked. But it was to one of the best. I hate to post this and am gritting my teeth as I do, but there's a good reason BB and team are so successful year after year. And despite the rotating cast of characters. He's just this era's best at adapting to what he's given.

That said.....I still hate him and the Patriots!!!

hes okay. The Ravens did it, Broncos too, and the Giants own him...

Its really just a  matter of experience. Hes been in the league for like more than 25 years...

Whenever someone says Belichick is a genius, I think of a quote from his dad, who said, "You are talking about a man who walks up and down the sideline of a football field for a living," or something to that effect.

I'm glad he's our coach in New England. His gruff personality aside, he's built a program here that's bigger than any individual player. Some of his personnel moves have been misses, some have been hits. I've been puzzled at times by his drafting (using a 2nd round pick on Tavon Wilson a few years back was the best example)... sometimes he treats the draft like a music snob treats at top 20 list!

In terms of preparation, they almost always get it right. It's very rare that you see a New England team come out and get dookie-stomped from the opening kickoff. When it does happen, like it did in KC earlier this year, it resonates throughout the fan-base because it's so shocking to see. 

When it comes to player development, I think he's better with certain positions (mostly defense and offensive line) than others (wide receiver). 

Like any coach or player, he has his strengths and weaknesses. But in a league with a revolving door of recycled coaches, and so many teams trying and failing over and over again to get it right, he provides the kind of stability that tends to lead to success in the NFL. Doesn't hurt, of course, that he's got a HOF quarterback riding shotgun. 

Heard an interesting question on talk radio last week. Belichick has been in NE since 2000. In that entire time, who is the second best head coach in the AFC East? Miami, Buffalo, and the Jets have had a lot of them in that time. 

It did seem silly simple, didn't it? I am just glad Josh didn't mess it up and try to have Brady pass more.

I will give Bill credit though for Arrington on Hilton. He is like our 5th DB and he was all over Hilton. Never saw that coming. Didn't even consider that match up to be honest.

Sure it counts, but it doesn't take a genius to pay a guy like Darrel Revis, or Deion Sanders. That's like crediting Ryan Grigson for selecting Andrew Luck. Even if you look at his free agency aquisitions/trades it's hit and miss. And again, I didn't say he needed to be perfect, but the person I was responding to said he doesn't get enough credit as a gm.....but that's because it's been hit or miss.

Aaron Hernandez? He didn't even enter my mind.

I have always said that Bill the coach covers big time for Bill the GM. He is a very good GM and certainly gets the right players for his system but he is probably the best at coaching up players. If you are a C player, he will make you a B. A B player can be an A player. The issue is he rarely picks the A player to start with. We have been screaming for a player of Revis' ilk since Asante left because we never made him an offer. And then the WRs. Eeesh. Have not developed one since 2002. I like Lafells a lot but I don't get why on we can't get Brady anyone even in the neighborhood of an elite wideout. It truly is hard to argue with the results but I find him to be maddening as a GM sometimes precisely because he is such a good coach ...

It did seem silly simple, didn't it? I am just glad Josh didn't mess it up and try to have Brady pass more.

I will give Bill credit though for Arrington on Hilton. He is like our 5th DB and he was all over Hilton. Never saw that coming. Didn't even consider that match up to be honest.

Well, I believe Arringron got safety help over the top most of the time. Then if you lock down Reggie with revis and man up on "no separation Nicks".......that's going to make it very tough. Kinda how Deion was used...usually on the teams 2nd best receiver.

I have no idea why Moncreif only got 9 snaps. I though with his speed he could have been a factor in this game.

So true.

And lets not forget now only does it make Belichick a genius. But, the game further showed the greatness of Tom Brady too. I mean wow those two first half picks were spectacular and he handed the ball off like the GOAT. 

Yes they both suck! :rollseyes:

Give some credit where it is due, no matter how painful it might be.

Belichick is the best coach by far, I believe.  For example, I heard that the Patriots ran a jumbo set with an extra tackle on the field for 37 plays I believe.  And pretty much 37 times it worked.  Why?  Part of the reason was the Colts defense couldn't figure out which was strong side, so they were out of position.  So the two questions that comes to mind:

1) How is it Manusky cannot correct that during the game?

2) It would have taken Belichick all of one series to fix that.

THAT is what concerns me most about the Colts.  Not the talent level.  It is scheming.  How can that happen??

* is the best coach by far, I believe.  For example, I heard that the Patriots ran a jumbo set with an extra tackle on the field for 37 plays I believe.  And pretty much 37 times it worked.  Why?  Part of the reason was the Colts defense couldn't figure out which was strong side, so they were out of position.  So the two questions that comes to mind:

1) How is it Manusky cannot correct that during the game?

2) It would have taken * all of one series to fix that.

THAT is what concerns me most about the Colts.  Not the talent level.  It is scheming.  How can that happen??

Not sure if you understand what the Pats did. They played Gronk at TE, obviously, and then put an extra lineman at the other TE spot. There was no weak side. You obviously don't want our LB one on one with the extra lineman, but Gronk is beating LBs one on one himself, both as a blocker and as a receiver. It's not that the defense couldn't figure out which side was the strong side, it's that both sides were the strong side. They had a personnel advantage, and they ran to whichever side they had more leverage. 

We countered with an extra linebacker at times, but that's risky, because we still have to cover Gronk. We kept a safety bracketed on him for the most part, but now you have 8 in the box (9 at times) against a great QB.

You could counter that with 4 linemen, but our linemen aren't significant pass rushing threats, so we still give up an advantage to them in the passing game.

The scheme was only part of it. The linemen did a terrible job recognizing the flow of the play and beating blockers, and the linebackers did a bad job of tackling. 

Not sure if you understand what the Pats did. They played Gronk at TE, obviously, and then put an extra lineman at the other TE spot. There was no weak side. You obviously don't want our LB one on one with the extra lineman, but Gronk is beating LBs one on one himself, both as a blocker and as a receiver. It's not that the defense couldn't figure out which side was the strong side, it's that both sides were the strong side. They had a personnel advantage, and they ran to whichever side they had more leverage. 

We countered with an extra linebacker at times, but that's risky, because we still have to cover Gronk. We kept a safety bracketed on him for the most part, but now you have 8 in the box (9 at times) against a great QB.

You could counter that with 4 linemen, but our linemen aren't significant pass rushing threats, so we still give up an advantage to them in the passing game.

The scheme was only part of it. The linemen did a terrible job recognizing the flow of the play and beating blockers, and the linebackers did a bad job of tackling.

I guess that answer the question I was going to ask which why wouldn't Indy put 5 linemen in. I guess NE just counters with passing as you alluded to?

What went wrong for the #Colts' DL, in a nutshell. Couldn't figure out strong/weak sides vs. 6th OL=matchup problems. pic.twitter.com/4y3g9D3pdw

— Ben Gundy (@BenGundy)

November 18, 2014

I was thinking along those lines, read your post.  Nice analysis, much more developed than what I had come up with.

What went wrong for the #Colts' DL, in a nutshell. Couldn't figure out strong/weak sides vs. 6th OL=matchup problems. pic.twitter.com/4y3g9D3pdw

— Ben Gundy (@BenGundy)

November 18, 2014

To your point, on Brady's second pick before half he said he had the "look" he wanted from the Colts which is why he audibled out of the run. He was aiming for Gronk down the left side on that play who was open and behind the defense but made a poor throw due to the pressure. Brady said the play call was correct given the look just poor execution. I assuming Brady saw the box full with the 8 guys, maybe 9 and the safety alone on Gronk which is why they checked to that play? Is that how you saw it? I don't have a screen image of it.

Nice write up Supes! Interested in seeing your grades this week. 

Rewatched parts of the game and this is a great analysis/observation. It allowed Brady to audible those runs to either side, depending on where the DBs lined up and which side was heavier. Gray did a nice job of hitting the holes decisively and then getting through to the second level. I didn't count plays or watch the entire game again, but I would guess that of his 37 runs, a DB was in on the tackle probably 30 times. 

I have always said that Bill the coach covers big time for Bill the GM. He is a very good GM and certainly gets the right players for his system but he is probably the best at coaching up players. If you are a C player, he will make you a B. A B player can be an A player. The issue is he rarely picks the A player to start with. We have been screaming for a player of Revis' ilk since Asante left because we never made him an offer. And then the WRs. Eeesh. Have not developed one since 2002. I like Lafells a lot but I don't get why on we can't get Brady anyone even in the neighborhood of an elite wideout. It truly is hard to argue with the results but I find him to be maddening as a GM sometimes precisely because he is such a good coach ...

While I think a star wideout would boost the Pats even further - and I think they should definitely invest in a guy in the early rounds of next years draft... Out of any team I can understand the Pats being able to run an effective offense without a great WR. Brady is a guy who mostly likes to throw short and intermediate routes,  he isn't really a guy who's looking to beat you with the deep ball often. The Pats use those smaller, shiftier receivers so well on those routes, and are able to get them in space a lot. Brady is quick in his reads and good at locating the open man. He's typically the surest bet out of any QB in the league not to throw a pick imo (even though he did make a very, very stupid un-Brady like throw at the end of the half on Sunday). I know in that "Smartest QBs" article Richard Sherman wrote last year, he named Brady as the hardest to intercept. 

While I think a star wideout would boost the Pats even further - and I think they should definitely invest in a guy in the early rounds of next years draft... Out of any team I can understand the Pats being able to run an effective offense without a great WR. Brady is a guy who mostly likes to throw short and intermediate routes,  he isn't really a guy who's looking to beat you with the deep ball often. The Pats use those smaller, shiftier receivers so well on those routes, and are able to get them in space a lot. Brady is quick in his reads and good at locating the open man. He's typically the surest bet out of any QB in the league not to throw a pick imo (even though he did make a very, very stupid un-Brady like throw at the end of the half on Sunday). I know in that "Smartest QBs" article Richard Sherman wrote last year, he named Brady as the hardest to intercept. 

Good points. I think in recent years they have been looking for the intermediate guys vs the burner deep threat. That in part may be to Brady's deep ball or the offensive philosophy to matriculate down the field taking chunk yardage vs the home run. The issue is without a legit threat on the outside it allows good defenses to stuff the middle of the field which both the Giants and Ravens did recently to the Pats in the post-season. Also, I am not talking about getting a Calvin Johnson but how about someone like Brandon Marshall or even Mike Wallace? Just a guy that makes you respect the outside and has speed.

Good points. I think in recent years they have been looking for the intermediate guys vs the burner deep threat. That in part may be to Brady's deep ball or the offensive philosophy to matriculate down the field taking chunk yardage vs the home run. The issue is without a legit threat on the outside it allows good defenses to stuff the middle of the field which both the Giants and Ravens did recently to the Pats in the post-season. Also, I am not talking about getting a Calvin Johnson but how about someone like Brandon Marshall or even Mike Wallace? Just a guy that makes you respect the outside and has speed.

Yeah I'd definitely be eyeing guys like Kevin White and DeVante Parker in this years draft. Although someone like Rashad Greene might be more realistic given BB's drafting habits, trading back from round 1 and such.

To your point, on Brady's second pick before half he said he had the "look" he wanted from the Colts which is why he audibled out of the run. He was aiming for Gronk down the left side on that play who was open and behind the defense but made a poor throw due to the pressure. Brady said the play call was correct given the look just poor execution. I assuming Brady saw the box full with the 8 guys, maybe 9 and the safety alone on Gronk which is why they checked to that play? Is that how you saw it? I don't have a screen image of it.

I didn't hear Brady's comments about that, but it makes sense. Gronk was one on one with a safety, and had the outside and sideline to make a play. We just happened to get a quick pass rush, and Brady lofted it up there. IMO, they should have just pounded the ball. I think they'd have converted.

I didn't hear Brady's comments about that, but it makes sense. Gronk was one on one with a safety, and had the outside and sideline to make a play. We just happened to get a quick pass rush, and Brady lofted it up there. IMO, they should have just pounded the ball. I think they'd have converted.

Yeah, in hindsight just take the run. It was there all night. Up 14-3 and getting the ball the second half too.

Yeah, in hindsight just take the run. It was there all night. Up 14-3 and getting the ball the second half too.

Did you notice how Bill "punished" Brady by making him take a knee with nearly a minute (and I think three timeouts) left after the Colts scored and NE got the ball back? 

LOL... 

Did you notice how Bill "punished" Brady by making him take a knee with nearly a minute (and I think three timeouts) left after the Colts scored and NE got the ball back? 

LOL...

yeah and I did see smoke coming out his ears ;)

Colts looked like their game plan was to not let Tom Brady beat them.  And he didn't, he really didn't have that good of a game.

But Belicheck just ran it down their throats.  

And I don't think Gray is that talented, he had a good scheme and good blocking.  We couldn't get a man near him til he was practically 10 yards down the field.

I could have probably got a hundred yards behind that.