Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts frontrunner to land CFL star.

Dustin

The Grey Cup was yesterday, with Calgary winning.  So the CFL season is over now.  I'm not sure when we can expect Carter to make a decision

This help ?

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Colts, Seahawks, and 49ers are "very interested" in free agent WR Duron Carter.

They're just three of upwards of 15 teams said to be looking at Cris Carter's son, who just completed his CFL contract with the Montreal Alouettes and can begin visiting NFL teams as soon as Monday. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Carter will work out for the Browns at some point. Carter (6-foot-5, 205) will turn 24 in March and may end up holding a "Pro Day" after the holidays, allowing his body to rest up from the season. He's allowed to sign as soon as February.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This help ?

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Colts, Seahawks, and 49ers are "very interested" in free agent WR Duron Carter.

They're just three of upwards of 15 teams said to be looking at Cris Carter's son, who just completed his CFL contract with the Montreal Alouettes and can begin visiting NFL teams as soon as Monday. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Carter will work out for the Browns at some point. Carter (6-foot-5, 205) will turn 24 in March and may end up holding a "Pro Day" after the holidays, allowing his body to rest up from the season. He's allowed to sign as soon as February.

thanks

Can't sign until after the NFL season, to a futures contract for 2015. According to an excerpt posted above, he can't sign until February.

I thought CBS said he can sign with a team December 1st. I must of misread it then.

This help ?

Perfect.  Thanks!

how much would he cost us per year like the same as jerrell freeman

I'm not sure.  I'm definitely not someone you would consider a cap expert haha.  It's also tricky because he's somewhat unknown.  He's had some off-the-field trouble in the past, but he's been pretty successful in the CFL.  And I'm not sure if he would be considered a rookie or not.  It's hard to know what his price range would be

Odds are Nicks won't be back,  and Wayne may not be back either,  though I think he'll play one more year.

So, long-term we're not nearly as deep at WR as it might seem....

Nicks hasn't been impressive and I don't see us bringing him back.  Reggie has also been injured this year and is nearing the end of his career.  Take those guys out and our WR group becomes Hilton and Moncrief

Agreed

I'm not sure.  I'm definitely not someone you would consider a cap expert haha.  It's also tricky because he's somewhat unknown.  He's had some off-the-field trouble in the past, but he's been pretty successful in the CFL.  And I'm not sure if he would be considered a rookie or not.  It's hard to know what his price range would be

i know a lot on cap but not about cfl

As much as I love the thought of getting another CB, OLB, ILB, or Safety,  I could totally see Grigson drafting a quality RB and WR early.  Nicks and Wayne (love Wayne's character) are simply not world beaters anymore.  There aren't any defensive backfields that could contain a 4 wideout formation of Hilton, Moncrief, Fleener, (example) Sammie Coates with RB coming out of the backfield.  Way too much speed.  Speedy wideouts seem to come cheaper than shut down corners.

I love Bradshaw and Ballard as well, but Grigs has to be losing sleep over the thought of both of them wearing blue next year with their injury history.  Possibly take a look at Duke Johnson, Karlos Williams, or Tevin Coleman in the 3rd round.  Bring back either Ballard or Bradshaw and give away Richardson to another team for a 6th or 7th rounder.  Running back stable would be Herron, Bradshaw or Ballard, and a quality rookie.

Give our offensive line another year (keep shuffling them until we find right combo).  See how they do with any running back not named Richardson before we pass final judgement.   Get a RB and WR in draft and then go all defense to fill in deficiencies in backfield and Linebacking corp.  The DL should continue to get better, but they will have to start looking for Redding's replacement.

Instead of trying to rehabilitate another head case skill position player, with as many questions as Carter has,I'd rather draft a player like Jr RB/WR/KR Byron Marshall out of Oregon..he's only 5'10. 205 with 4.38 speed. Last year he ran for over 1000 yards, and since the emergence of Freshman superstar  RB Royce Freeman 6' 230 lbs, has switched to WR, where he is excelling at both positions catching 56 passes for 714 yards and 5 TD's, while rushing 44 times for 352 yards and 1 TD, filling in for injuries this year, and end arounds. That way, we'd have a very good receiver, that can also be a RB. He's quick, elusive, has great hands, runs good routes, and has enough power to gain yards after the catch. Or give me the LB out of Washington, Shaq Thompson, who is a a little small for a LB, 6'1" 225 lbs. but also plays offense and is an excellent RB. I want guys that want to play, give 100 percent all of the time, and work harder and harder to improve, AND ARE WILLING TO DO ANYTHING TO HELP THE TEAM!!! Look at TY..Sure he's small, but even with all of his talent, he continues to get better and better..why??? Because of his attitude and work ethic. He wants to be the best...and he's om his way to becoming one of the leagues best WR.

I'm not saying to draft both of these two, just players like them, with talent, attitude, and work ethic...look at JJ Watt..NO ONE plays with more heart and intensity as he does, and look at the results....We need to focus more on these type players, not head cases like Da'Rick, Purifory, and this Carter kid. I personally don't like Gronk..but no one can deny his toughness, and willingness to win. We NEED players like them..

I don't care how tall you are, or what potential you have, if you don't have your head in the game, or give 100 percent at all times, you will not go far in today's NFL. Most of the time, especially with players from the CFL, the ones with the great attitudes and work ethics make it..aka our own Jerrell Freeman. If Carter hates school, he's going to hate studying the playbook, learning routes, how to get open, etc. Time after time, they have all the talent in the world, but have the wrong attitude and work ethic, and few ever succeed. From all that I have read, I don't want this Carter kid. I wish Whalen had more God-Given ability, because he works hard, and does eerything he can do, but just doesn't have enough talent to excell in the NFL

Lol, I said WR isn't a need this year, and I agree with you knuckleheads for getting this guy next year.

Relax

Translation..."I now realize everything I've said to this point in this thread is ridiculously stupid but I'm not going to own up to it so I'm going to try to make it seem like I was with you guys all along and you were the ones who misunderstood."

I don't get this headcase talk he isn't like purifoy or Rogers he just didnt like school big deal not like he gets hammered or stoned and party's all night he had problems in college with school work didnt make him a bad football player nor will it cause a problem with the law

Instead of trying to rehabilitate another head case skill position player, with as many questions as Carter has,I'd rather draft a player like Jr RB/WR/KR Byron Marshall out of Oregon..he's only 5'10. 205 with 4.38 speed. Last year he ran for over 1000 yards, and since the emergence of Freshman superstar  RB Royce Freeman 6' 230 lbs, has switched to WR, where he is excelling at both positions catching 56 passes for 714 yards and 5 TD's, while rushing 44 times for 352 yards and 1 TD, filling in for injuries this year, and end arounds. That way, we'd have a very good receiver, that can also be a RB. He's quick, elusive, has great hands, runs good routes, and has enough power to gain yards after the catch. Or give me the LB out of Washington, Shaq Thompson, who is a a little small for a LB, 6'1" 225 lbs. but also plays offense and is an excellent RB. I want guys that want to play, give 100 percent all of the time, and work harder and harder to improve, AND ARE WILLING TO DO ANYTHING TO HELP THE TEAM!!! Look at TY..Sure he's small, but even with all of his talent, he continues to get better and better..why??? Because of his attitude and work ethic. He wants to be the best...and he's om his way to becoming one of the leagues best WR.

I'm not saying to draft both of these two, just players like them, with talent, attitude, and work ethic...look at JJ Watt..NO ONE plays with more heart and intensity as he does, and look at the results....We need to focus more on these type players, not head cases like Da'Rick, Purifory, and this Carter kid. I personally don't like Gronk..but no one can deny his toughness, and willingness to win. We NEED players like them..

I don't care how tall you are, or what potential you have, if you don't have your head in the game, or give 100 percent at all times, you will not go far in today's NFL. Most of the time, especially with players from the CFL, the ones with the great attitudes and work ethics make it..aka our own Jerrell Freeman. If Carter hates school, he's going to hate studying the playbook, learning routes, how to get open, etc. Time after time, they have all the talent in the world, but have the wrong attitude and work ethic, and few ever succeed. From all that I have read, I don't want this Carter kid. I wish Whalen had more God-Given ability, because he works hard, and does eerything he can do, but just doesn't have enough talent to excell in the NFL

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that Carter is a head case? I know the reports before he went to the CFL would indicate that he was, but the reports I read since he has been in the CFL for 2 years is that he has matured. That is no guarantee but there are none when dealing with people. If Grigson and Pagano interview Carter and others and determine that Carter has had a change in attitude, then why not? That way the Colts would get a WR with potential and be able to save those draft picks you mentioned for other areas, i.e. Oline.

Your reasoning that because Carter hates school means that he would not want to study a playbook or learn routes or do film study etc., quite frankly does not make sense. Just because he does not like to study Biochemistry, or English, or Economics, or whatever does not mean that he doesn't want to learn how to run an out route, they are two different things.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that Carter is a head case? I know the reports before he went to the CFL would indicate that he was, but the reports I read since he has been in the CFL for 2 years is that he has matured. That is no guarantee but there are none when dealing with people. If Grigson and Pagano interview Carter and others and determine that Carter has had a change in attitude, then why not? That way the Colts would get a WR with potential and be able to save those draft picks you mentioned for other areas, i.e. Oline.

Your reasoning that because Carter hates school means that he would not want to study a playbook or learn routes or do film study etc., quite frankly does not make sense. Just because he does not like to study Biochemistry, or English, or Economics, or whatever does not mean that he doesn't want to learn how to run an out route, they are two different things.

Exactly! I flipin hated school but would do anything related to football if I was talented lol

Translation..."I now realize everything I've said to this point in this thread is ridiculously stupid but I'm not going to own up to it so I'm going to try to make it seem like I was with you guys all along and you were the ones who misunderstood."

Incorrect. 

I was saying we don't need him this year. Next year is fine. 

I did find something that may of use to you though: 

3880_Improve%20Reading2.gif

Incorrect. 

I was saying we don't need him this year. Next year is fine. 

I did find something that may of use to you though: 

Yeah, you should try that link yourself.  No one at any point in this thread said anything about signing him for THIS YEAR.  You know why? Because he can't sign to play with the team THIS YEAR.  So you spent like 5 or 6 posts arguing a complete non-issue for absolutely no reason other than you did not understand what was going on, and while doing so you kept telling other people they had no idea, etc.   :thmup:

Yeah, you should try that link yourself.  No one at any point in this thread said anything about signing him for THIS YEAR.  You know why? Because he can't sign to play with the team THIS YEAR.  So you spent like 5 or 6 posts arguing a complete non-issue for absolutely no reason other than you did not understand what was going on, and while doing so you kept telling other people they had no idea, etc.   :thmup:

Ok cliff notes for you lil' buddy: 

I said WR isn't our biggest need, and though I like the idea of getting him, someone has to leave in order to get him. If that's Nicks...ok.