Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Burfict trys this against our players....

bestQBever

He really shouldn't be playing the next few weeks.... but I won't hold my breath.

Agreed! If Walden can get suspended for his headbutt, Burfict should have to sit for this. This is getting quite a lot of buzz though, so I bet the league considers it. Goodell cant preach safety and let this stand, but like you said, I'd be surprised.

Agreed! If Walden can get suspended for his headbutt, Burfict should have to sit for this. This is getting quite a lot of buzz though, so I bet the league considers it. Goodell cant preach safety and let this stand, but like you said, I'd be surprised.

Goodell has no credibility left. 

He will get ejected if he does that. Everyone knows about it now, and the refs will keep an eye on him. Let him try it.

Eyes will be on him but he shouldn't be playing.  It will be very unfortunate if it takes him actually injuring someone seriously for the league to step in here.  There's no room for play like that in the NFL.  Given his past history, he should get at least 2 weeks for this.  In my opinion, action like this should be worse than taking PEDs or something else -- it's one thing to try to enhance your own game, but it's a totally different thing to try to intentionally injure another player, let alone do it blatantly after a play twice.

Sure would be nice if we got to play Cincy without Green and Burfict, their best player on O and D respectively.

He was a total bum when he played out here in AZ for the Sun Devils. I don't think anyone shed a tear when he left college early for the NFL. Big talent but Vince Young-dumb. He was pulled from several ASU games for repeatedly getting personal fouls called. I thought he had really changed and grown up but I guess not.

I would say a suspension is warranted.  NFL certainly needs to do something here, it's fined a lot of guys for incidental things that happen during a football game that they often clearly didn't intend to happen.  

Even some of the cleanest guys on and off the field have gotten fined.  I believe JJ Watt took a fine recently and Watt is anything but a dirty player.

But this guy clearly tried to hurt someone after the play was made.  Refs may not have caught it but NFL cameras did and he needs to be punished.

I would have thought if any action was going to be taken, or at the least an investigation into it they would have announced it by now?

Might take a few days.  Ron Rivera just sent the video into the league on Monday for review according to the article.

The immediate fines you hear about are often from things that are flagged on the field and I think the league automatically reviews those.  But since this wasn't noticed by the refs or flagged it might take a bit of time for them to look into it.

Edit:  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11699433/nfl-review-allegations-vontaze-burfict-cincinnati-bengals-delibertately-attemped-injure-cam-newton-greg-olsen 

NFL says they will look at it, but the writer of the article doesn't think that he will be suspended at all.  Probably just a fine if the NFL agree's that it was an attempt to injure the players.

Might take a few days.  Ron Rivera just sent the video into the league on Monday for review according to the article.

The immediate fines you hear about are often from things that are flagged on the field and I think the league automatically reviews those.  But since this wasn't noticed by the refs or flagged it might take a bit of time for them to look into it. 

Thanks for that :) 

You'd imagine that with the new focus on player safety anything like this is going to be landed on pretty hard. 

Oh here is a 3 frame shot of the tackle on Greg Olsen which is more condemning then the full speed video.  Oddly enough I got this from a Bengal's SB Nation site.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/cincinnati-bengals-carolina-panthers-2014/2014/10/13/6969375/carolina-panthers-angry-with-vontaze-burfict

BzyVYq8IUAEGuLi.jpg

Looks very clear to me that well after the player was down he seeks out the ankle to try and twist it.  The Cam Newton twist is also pretty clear.

This guy is a repeat offender and will probably be suspended a couple of games. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11699433/nfl-review-allegations-vontaze-burfict-cincinnati-bengals-delibertately-attemped-injure-cam-newton-greg-olsen

Burfict has a history of being fined. He was fined $21,000 for hitting a defenseless receiver (James Jones) and $10,000 for striking tight end Ryan Taylor in the groin during a Week 3 game against Green Bay last season.

He also was fined $21,000 last season for hitting New York Jets wide receiver Stephen Hill, now a member of Carolina's practice squad, with the crown of his helmet.

This guy would be a legend if he played in the 50's. Art Donavon would go on Letterman and talk about how mean and tough Burfict was....people would lap it up and call him a "real football player".

Ehh most of the guys that they say that about just where hard hitters.  And with the rules changes they probably often hit people in the head quite a bit.  

I don't think guys like Mean Joe Greene or Night-train Lane would have been caught looking for your ankle after you where down to try and twist it.  I don't think anything like that was ever considered acceptable in football.

Although you are right that no one would have cared if you aimed for the head and they might have applauded at the time if you KO'ed a guy.

I didn't figure he would get suspended, the NFL preaches safety, but Goodell pulls a DHB and drops the ball (when it comes suspending people for violations) lol!  I say if he tries something sneaky Irsay should pay off a PS player to take his helment off and bash Burfict in the shin... OK just kidding lol but really, the man shouldn't be playing in the game

Anyone counting on the ref's to keep a close eye on this guy, don't hold you're breath. We struggle enough just to get the ref's to make calls that are blatantly obvious, let alone watching one dirty player trying to torque some ankles. Prime example: week 2 vs the eagles, we should've won that game(but the ref's handed it to philly)!  GO COLTS!!!!!