Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Takeaways from the game

ColtsFanMikeC

Here are three things that stood out most notably on our defense:

1. Vontae Davis is a shut down corner. Quite possibly top 3 in the league.

2. Our defense is ALOT better with Jerrell Freeman on the field.

3. Sergio Brown sees the field ALOT better than Laron Landry.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our defense is beast. And honestly if anyone says our O line sucks, they don't watch our games. This is the best protection Andrew has gotten in his career and our run game isn't shabby at all.

I couldn't go to the game, but watched on TV.  Was anyone else sick of the Annoucers talking the whole game about how tremendous the Ravens defense was, what an amazing job they were doing.  All this while the Colts were holding the dirty birds to 3 points at that time and had been dominating on offense.  if not for a few bad calls and spots, the offense would have smoked this defense.  I rememebr after 1 commerical break they were raving about the Ravens and the other said, and "the Colts defense is playiong pretty good too" .  best to just turn the sound off and Turn to Lamey on the radio. 

I couldn't go to the game, but watched on TV. Was anyone else sick of the Annoucers talking the whole game about how tremendous the Ravens defense was, what an amazing job they were doing. All this while the Colts were holding the dirty birds to 3 points at that time and had been dominating on offense. if not for a few bad calls and spots, the offense would have smoked this defense. I rememebr after 1 commerical break they were raving about the Ravens and the other said, and "the Colts defense is playiong pretty good too" . best to just turn the sound off and Turn to Lamey on the radio.

Rich Gannon was slobbering all over the Ravens D. Honestly, I'd rather have it that way, just like Vontae is being treated - off the radar. Let teams keep underestimating this defense.

Here are three things that stood out most notably on our defense:

1. Vontae Davis is a shut down corner. Quite possibly top 3 in the league.

2. Our defense is ALOT better with Jerrell Freeman on the field.

3. Sergio Brown sees the field ALOT better than Laron Landry.

Agree 100% across the board

after the game I really sat back and evaluated the performance of our beloved Colts this past few weeks, I was upset like many others on this forum over some of the mistakes that cost the team a couple of fgs and or a win, But then I realized  we were playing a very good defense #1 if correct. Those mistakes came from a team who was very aggressive on offense and defense I will not fault them for that as a matter of fact I really praise and enjoy this team aggressive attitude. If you remember the Denver game we were all upset because the lack of aggressiveness and we were still one play from tying the game in the last minute. The Philly game was a game we should of won but their again the colts were playing a high powered offense and a couple of mistakes cost us the game the coaches admitted they made the wrong call but over all very good game. So remember this is still early in the season and mistakes will happen. I would like to see a flawless game every week by the Colts and when I do not see it I get frustrated and start posting right away not thinking about the overall picture but in the end a win is a good win in my books and I really do not care how they do it.     

As good as Werner was yesterday he still makes some extremely bonehead plays, like on Forsett's 28 yard gain around Werner's edge when the Ravens are backed way up by penalty and I'm yelling at my TV prior to snap...draw, screen, flat pass, and Werner charges on the snap way up field and they dump to Forsett....nobody in the flat, man ya gotta see that coming, he has to read and react to down and distance better.

They keep improving this team will be scary good come playoff team. We're playing good ball but I think we can play better.

Allen looks like he is stating to look like he did last year. We are just loaded all over the place. Hard to game plan for us week in and week out. Moncrief didn't even see the field this week. I think Pep is starting to get it. Or more so the players are executing.

I think Manusky is starting to get it to with his blitzs.

I couldn't go to the game, but watched on TV.  Was anyone else sick of the Annoucers talking the whole game about how tremendous the Ravens defense was, what an amazing job they were doing.  All this while the Colts were holding the dirty birds to 3 points at that time and had been dominating on offense.  if not for a few bad calls and spots, the offense would have smoked this defense.  I rememebr after 1 commerical break they were raving about the Ravens and the other said, and "the Colts defense is playiong pretty good too" .  best to just turn the sound off and Turn to Lamey on the radio. 

YES!!  It was driving me crazy the way they kept talking up Baltimore's defense and glossing over Indy's.  Now, Baltimore's defense did play well, but the Refs killed at least 2 of the Colts drives.  

As good as Werner was yesterday he still makes some extremely bonehead plays, like on Forsett's 28 yard gain around Werner's edge when the Ravens are backed way up by penalty and I'm yelling at my TV prior to snap...draw, screen, flat pass, and Werner charges on the snap way up field and they dump to Forsett....nobody in the flat, man ya gotta see that coming, he has to read and react to down and distance better.

I'll definitely be going back to rewatch the game (probably a couple of times :D ), but based on memory and the tendencies of the Colts since Pagano has been here, I'm thinking there's a good chance that play was on the weakside ILB, not Werner.  Typically when the DE (in a 4 man front) or OLB (in base front) charges upfield, it's the job of the ILB on that side to slide over and play the edge.

I love Lamey but there is a time difference. 

No way I'm going to quote the op. But you're wrong in one sense. Harrison was not better. We had better runs when Shipley was in.

I agree Narcosys.  I think Harrison has some positive traits that the Colts can work with but right now it looks like a mistake putting Harrison in for Shipley (and I was not a big Shipley fan).  Whenever he had to go man to man with the NT, which fortunately was not very often, he was beaten.  He was better than Ship at doubling with the guard yet maintaining his position to stop the delayed blitzes or stunts.

People will claim the oline did well because the Colts averaged over 4 YPC, which is good against the Ravens D, but those came in one run by TRich that was all TRich and not the line and then two nice runs by Bradshaw on the last drive when the Ravens D was gassed.

I agree Narcosys.  I think Harrison has some positive traits that the Colts can work with but right now it looks like a mistake putting Harrison in for Shipley (and I was not a big Shipley fan).  Whenever he had to go man to man with the NT, which fortunately was not very often, he was beaten.  He was better than Ship at doubling with the guard yet maintaining his position to stop the delayed blitzes or stunts.

People will claim the oline did well because the Colts averaged over 4 YPC, which is good against the Ravens D, but those came in one run by TRich that was all TRich and not the line and then two nice runs by Bradshaw on the last drive when the Ravens D was gassed.

I mean...I think you kinda gotta grade at least a little bit on a curve.  An UDFA rookie's first start going against a very stout Ravens DL...yeah I'm not surprised he lost some one on one matchups.  But I thought he also made some nice blocks as well.  I think it's definitely something to build on and I agree with those that say he has a higher upside than Shipley.  I had no problem with the switch before the game and still don't. 

The score didn't so how much we dominated the Ravens. The refs took away a TD for nothing and some of our turnovers looked like freak plays. Most of the time those plays result in common incompletions. Are offense was pretty good really.

thats the biggest problem the score didn't reflect that the Colts dominated a game they dominated because of stupid mistakes on the Colts part. They left between 9 and 21 points on the field yesterday with two redzone turnovers (both inside the 10) and the fourth down stop. You can't do that most weeks and win. If the Colts hadn't dominated this game they would have lost because of the mistakes and its recuring theme. It's whst cost them the Eagles game. You can't make these mistakes and leave points on the field.

I mean...I think you kinda gotta grade at least a little bit on a curve.  An UDFA rookie's first start going against a very stout Ravens DL...yeah I'm not surprised he lost some one on one matchups.  But I thought he also made some nice blocks as well.  I think it's definitely something to build on and I agree with those that say he has a higher upside than Shipley.  I had no problem with the switch before the game and still don't. 

No, I don't gotta grade at least a little bit on a curve.  He started the game, he did worse than I think Shipley would have done, thus the change looks like a mistake.

I don't know if he has a higher upside than Shipley but I'm curious to those that say that... what is that comment based on?

I couldn't go to the game, but watched on TV. Was anyone else sick of the Annoucers talking the whole game about how tremendous the Ravens defense was, what an amazing job they were doing. All this while the Colts were holding the dirty birds to 3 points at that time and had been dominating on offense. if not for a few bad calls and spots, the offense would have smoked this defense. I rememebr after 1 commerical break they were raving about the Ravens and the other said, and "the Colts defense is playiong pretty good too" . best to just turn the sound off and Turn to Lamey on the radio.

Yeah I was smh all game about that. I heard that comment about us also. Too bad it took them half way through the 4ththird qt before they said anything

I'll definitely be going back to rewatch the game (probably a couple of times :D ), but based on memory and the tendencies of the Colts since Pagano has been here, I'm thinking there's a good chance that play was on the weakside ILB, not Werner.  Typically when the DE (in a 4 man front) or OLB (in base front) charges upfield, it's the job of the ILB on that side to slide over and play the edge.

You very well may be right, Werner may have had no responsibility to cover and was strictly a rush LB on the play but as the play unfolded Flacco was retreating so heavily at some point the rusher's alarm should go off because the QB is no longer in the posture or position to throw the long ball so he should turn and pursue. Actually if that's right I'm sure Robert has already told him and Werner always keeps flashing such potential that it's probably a matter of experience.

No, I don't gotta grade at least a little bit on a curve.  He started the game, he did worse than I think Shipley would have done, thus the change looks like a mistake.

I don't know if he has a higher upside than Shipley but I'm curious to those that say that... what is that comment based on?

Ok then don't.  Expect an UDFA rookie to perform at a Veteran level against one of the best front 7's in football.  Your prerogative.  I suppose it also depends on if you're simply grading the one game performance vs. trying to grade his potential as the C for the future.

I definitely don't think the change looks like a mistake for the long term, and the only thing I can conclusively say that I think Shipley would have done better is that Shipley most likely wouldn't have had the messed up snap counts nor the high shotgun snap.  As for the actual blocking though, no I can't say that I think Shipley would have been better.

* don't go for it on 4th down when it's your first possession of the game, game tied 0-0, against a opponent with a good redzone defense, especially in a obvious run formation( spread the defense ). That bad decision could've haunted us at the end

* don't go for it on 4th down when it's your first possession of the game, game tied 0-0, against a opponent with a good redzone defense, especially in a obvious run formation( spread the defense ). That bad decision could've haunted us at the end

I agree, the coaches should only be aggressive when they know it's going to work!

:Wooo:

I agree Narcosys. I think Harrison has some positive traits that the Colts can work with but right now it looks like a mistake putting Harrison in for Shipley (and I was not a big Shipley fan). Whenever he had to go man to man with the NT, which fortunately was not very often, he was beaten. He was better than Ship at doubling with the guard yet maintaining his position to stop the delayed blitzes or stunts.

Overall, we need to stop talking about yards per carry. Both backs missed holes yesterday, and both backs got hit in the backfield. It's pointless to try to grade either element -- line play or the backs -- without watching the games and paying attention to what happened.

I disagree with you on Harrison, but I'm still rewatching, so I'll hold my comments at bay until I'm done.

I agree, the coaches should only be aggressive when they know it's going to work!

:Wooo:

I agree and disagree -- we were moving the ball well -- I think the coaches 'knew it was going to work', but it just didn't.  I am glad to see we are taking some chances and the coaches are showing confidence in our offense and in some senses I think it's better to go for it early in the game when we are moving the ball well and aren't really giving up too much momentum -- if we make that play and get 7 there, it gets our crowd behind us and really sets a tone.  Missing it at home at 0-0 is better than having missed it on the road, IMO, and better than have missed that if we were already down by 3 or 7. 

I am not really too upset about that play, not necessarily happy, but if we get that yard (all indications from how we moved the ball on that drive suggest we could have gotten it), it is a great call.  However, we didn't get it so it doesn't look good.  Still not too upset about it and I hope it doesn't prevent our coaches from taking chances later in the year if the situation is right.

Ok then don't.  Expect an UDFA rookie to perform at a Veteran level against one of the best front 7's in football.  Your prerogative.  I suppose it also depends on if you're simply grading the one game performance vs. trying to grade his potential as the C for the future.

I definitely don't think the change looks like a mistake for the long term, and the only thing I can conclusively say that I think Shipley would have done better is that Shipley most likely wouldn't have had the messed up snap counts nor the high shotgun snap.  As for the actual blocking though, no I can't say that I think Shipley would have been better.

I'm just grading the game, not predicting future effectiveness.

I can say Shipley would have done better blocking on the one on one matchups with about 90% certainty (who knows maybe Ship slept with the NT girlfriend and he threatened to kill him if he ever saw him again.)

The score didn't so how much we dominated the Ravens. The refs took away a TD for nothing and some of our turnovers looked like freak plays. Most of the time those plays result in common incompletions. Are offense was pretty good really.

Refs were horrible.  No excuse for being that inept. 

My take away from this game is that Andrew Luck is really, really good.  The Colts will be in basically every game largely because of him.  He is a footballer through and through.  Even in games where he is off target or turnover prone, he makes plays that literally have me shaking my head in disbelief.  We are Lucky to have him in Indy. 

Sergio looked fast and energetic, tackled well, and played aggressively. As far as I'm concerned, keep him there. 

Werner played like a bat out of hell today. He looked more explosive than he ever has and just flat out beat his man today. 

The announcers were unbelievably annoying--all they kept talking about was how great the Ravens D was, blah blah blah. Look at the stats. Our defense dominated their offense. Our offense beat their defense. We won the game and never conceded the lead. Eat % announcers. 

Totally annoying.  It was an after-thougt when Rich Gannon finally acknowledged how well the Colts defense played.  My biggest take-away was how Pagano has the team playing complimentary football.  When you lead the league in TOP, you can rest your defense.  That makse a difference with our small LBs.  They need their legs to run and make tackles and get home on blitzes late in games.  The Special Teams coach has to talk to Whalen about his mistakes though - obviously the fumble was brutal but fielding a deep kickoff that had plenty of hang time and trying to run it out 9 yards deep was a very bad decision in the 4th Q.    The Colts responded with a good drive.  Whalen isn't talented enough to make those kinds of mistakes and get away with it.  I like him back there on kickoffs and punts because I don't want to see Moncrief back there.

Going for it was the right call, but I agree on the 2nd point....I generally hate it when teams bunch up the formation in short yardage situations.

Going for it was the right call, but I agree on the 2nd point....I generally hate it when teams bunch up the formation in short yardage situations.

I'd love to see the precentage of how often it works, because I rarely ever see it do. 

Secondary is finally proving they were worth the financial investment. If Toler can stay healthy, he and Vontae are a heck of a duo. If Sergio continues to play at this level, forget about the underachieving Landry.

We are finally getting the desperately needed interior and outside pressure from the defensive line. Can Werner keep this up? That was a great performance against the sixth ranked offense.

How many people would have tried to have me institutionalized if I'd predicted fleener could stonewall dumerville in a one on one situation?

His blocking is definitely improving. Hopefully he'll be able to sustain and continue to improve....and yes I realize this is the most important part. :)

Fleener was successful on 39 of 40 pass blocking attempts -Last season!

Fleener was successful on 39 of 40 pass blocking attempts -Last season!

source?  not because I don't believe you, but because I'd love to have a link to share every time I see someone complaining about his blocking.  Based on comments around here you'd think Fleener whiffed on every blocking attempt he's made. lol