Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonotthan Harrison starting at center. (merge)

kjyb

If Harrison was clearly a better Center than Shipley than sure make the change but from this outing, he's not. Those mental mistakes were terrible and just can't happen and he made 2 big ones that could have been costly. Also, his shotgun snaps were consistently high to Luck.

Maybe next week Holmes starts? Center by committee?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Harrison made some big mistakes today, but overall the Oline play was pretty solid.  Shipley didn't really do anything to lose the job, but he rode the bench today.  Our starter at the beginning of preseason has yet to dress on gameday.  Thursday will be interesting.

They should have started Shipley and they should start him again. Harrison messed up 2 snaps, blew blocks in the run game, and blew blocks in the screen game. As a pass protector he played very well but Shipley should get the start the rest if the season.

Harrison made some big mistakes today, but overall the Oline play was pretty solid. Shipley didn't really do anything to lose the job, but he rode the bench today. Our starter at the beginning of preseason has yet to dress on gameday. Thursday will be interesting.

Better go with Shipley

But with Chuck, it's whoever does well in practice

Cause that definitely shows what you'll do in the game. Practice is nothing compared to games

I remember hearing Thursday night how Aaron Rodgers said their TE Quarless (spellcheck) doesn't give his all in practice.

Watch him in the game and you'll never know it

Could careless what you do in a 50% effort. What you do on gameday matters

Better go with Shipley

But with Chuck, it's whoever does well in practice

Cause that definitely shows what you'll do in the game. Practice is nothing compared to games

I remember hearing Thursday night how Aaron Rodgers said their TE Quarless (spellcheck) doesn't give his all in practice.

Watch him in the game and you'll never know it

Could careless what you do in a 50% effort. What you do on gameday matters

The coaches care

If you don't try in practice you won't see the field

I haven't always agreed with the way this team has been constructed, but since Dungy arrived it's been a well coached team.  How often do you ever see a Colts player make the repeated mistakes Harrison made today?  It just doesn't happen. 

They need to clean up a lot of things and stop trying to do everything they can to give away games.

Harrison was better than what we saw last year, but still have no idea why Shipley was shown the bench.  Made no sense before the game and after watching the game it still makes no sense.  Hope Shipley's back out there Thursday night, but I know better than to expect this coaching staff to make logical decisions with the oline by now.

Phil Wilson who reported that there was disagreement about the move, also said it had nothing to do with matchups. I talked with him last night, he runs the scout forums now. This is nothing more then the Colts wanting to give the rookie a shot to show what he can do. Personally, i would have rather seen him start the last 2 weeks instead of his first start today, but whatever. Hope it works or it's not going to look good at all for Pagano.

I sincerely hope that's not the reason for this switch. That's the dumbest reason to bench someone who's been a good starter.

You do that in the preason or in the second half of the Jags and/or Titans blowout.

I sincerely hope that's not the reason for this switch. That's the dumbest reason to bench someone who's been a good starter.

You do that in the preason or in the second half of the Jags and/or Titans blowout.

That is what Phil Wilson said. He also says there was disagreement inside the org about it.  And Chuck has yet to give a real explanation for the switch so.....

Everybody breathe....relax...Harrison will be graded tomorrow on game film by the staff and go from there. There was some bad snaps but there was some good to. The snaps are correctable and consider this was against a team with a tough defensive front.

Breathe, We ran the ball for 4 ypc taking away Lucks carries

I am not sure why everyone is upset

The Colts won

Yes the Colts won and I'm happy about that, but that doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculous to bench the #3 rated center in the league this year.  Then when his replacement botches a snap and causes a penalty because he doesn't know the snap count it's reason for discussion.  I'm glad we won in spite of this stupid decision.

I am not sure why everyone is upset

The Colts won

Because it's just a baffling move. You don't bench good starters for unknowns. I know they see these guys in practice everyday but there are thousands of players who look great in practice but have no business suiting up in the NFL. Hell, as of last year the Colts wouldn't bench starters who played very poorly week after week. It's like they're overcompensating for their extreme sutborness with Satele and Mcglynn the last two years.

Now the question is does Shipley get his job back after this?

This is just a real head scratcher.

Because it's just a baffling move. You don't bench good starters for unknowns. I know they see these guys in practice everyday but there are thousands of players who look great in practice but have no business suiting up in the NFL. Hell, as of last year the Colts wouldn't bench starters who played very poorly week after week. It's like they're overcompensating for their extreme sutborness with Satele and Mcglynn the last two years.

Now the question is does Shipley get his job back after this?

This is just a real head scratcher.

Shipley wasn't as good as your making him out to be, Would I have made the move? No but Shipley hasn't been great either

Shipley wasn't as good as your making him out to be, Would I have made the move? No but Shipley hasn't been great either

I said he has been a good starter. I think that's fair to say through the first 4 games.

Though, apparently, PFF and football outsiders think he was very good/great.

There is something to be said for playing a young guy with potential over a perennial back up player. Maybe today Shipley actually gave the Colts a little better chance of winning. But if Pagano feels Harrison can be a good OL man with some game experience , I think you roll the dice and play him.

There is something to be said for playing a young guy with potential over a perennial back up player. Maybe today Shipley actually gave the Colts a little better chance of winning. But if Pagano feels Harrison can be a good OL man with some game experience , I think you roll the dice and play him.

I think you're right.  Maybe they had Harrison on their radar screen to  start.  I want to go back and watch to see how he did on his assignments.  He looks decently athletic and he's got good size. You have to think the Pagano is going with him for the long term.  Going back to Shipley makes no sense and would make him look ridiculous

I think you're right.  Maybe they had Harrison on their radar screen to  start.  I want to go back and watch to see how he did on his assignments.  He looks decently athletic and he's got good size. You have to think the Pagano is going with him for the long term.  Going back to Shipley makes no sense and would make him look ridiculous

He blocked well, but had some real mental derps that probably came from not being on the same page as Luck when it came to the timing of the snaps. One particularly heinous example was when Luck called for the snap, had his hands ready to accept and head snapped up, the whole O line moved to block, and Harrison was still holding the ball because he messed up the snap count, resulting in a false start by like 10 different guys.

It's far from polished.

Harrison wasn't good today in pass pro or run blocking, benching the 3rd ranked C in the league for a rookie almost cost us a game. Shipley is a better pass blocker, he should be the starter.

I thought Harrison did well, he face Ngata mind you, of course he will make some mistakes and he is an UFA rookie

He blocked well, but had some real mental derps that probably came from not being on the same page as Luck when it came to the timing of the snaps. One particularly heinous example was when Luck called for the snap, had his hands ready to accept and head snapped up, the whole O line moved to block, and Harrison was still holding the ball because he messed up the snap count, resulting in a false start by like 10 different guys.

It's far from polished.

It reminded me of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfPzwBh_YVI

Couple points:

Of everyone on the coaching staff and in the front office, the guy that would have the best idea of which center to play against the ravens defense would be pagano.

Also, for what it's worth, on the missed snap, Thornton didn't move either. So Harrison wasn't the only one that was confused about the snap count.

Ya Griff had a rough game. Would you put purifoy out there tho?

Since Sergio clearly deserves to start (if his success today continues)

*Takes Podium*

I TKnight24 of the :colts: fan forum hereby state my campaign to get Purifoy to be our return man as Sergio Brown from the university of Notre Dame has shown (so far) that he is a playmaker not only on ST, but on defense as well

I also would like to congratulate RB Trent Richardson on a solid game and making me eat the wing of the crow. Shall this success continue, the rest of that bird shall be gone by the end of the year

*Steps Down from Podium*