Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

(09-26-14) MVP THREAD

danlhart87

All ya'll did was name the 5 quarterbacks left who haven't sucked as bad as the others lol!

I could actually see another position winning it this year. The defensive penalties haven't been as ticky tack as we thought they would be and the stat machines not named Peyton aren't doing well at all.

Same as every other season save one due to injury for over a decade.

i.jpg

Barring injury or a complete failure on his part. He's at that age where he could start stinking it up any time. Maybe Seattle was his annual stinker game, maybe not. I'm not sure who the doofus was calling run plays non stop when all they went for was 20 carries/37 yards. I consider Manning the OC though so that's on him.

Same as every other season save one due to injury for over a decade.

i.jpg

Barring injury or a complete failure on his part. He's at that age where he could start stinking it up any time. Maybe Seattle was his annual stinker game, maybe not. I'm not sure who the doofus was calling run plays non stop when all they went for was 20 carries/37 yards. I consider Manning the OC though so that's on him.

He has looked a bit off this year. Father time gets us all. Still, he is the front runner for MVP.

No real threat from any player that is not a QB. Maybe Calvin Johnson?

It's only qbs in consideration because no other player has separated himself so far. Julio Jones is having the best year at WR so far, but I don't think he's made a real case for MVP yet. No RB deserves mention so far. On defense, has anyone really stood out far and beyond their respective peers? I don't personally think so. Therefore, we're left with QBs.

Who do you think is better then jerry

I personally thought Montana would have been #1.  Just look at his Super Bowl stats: 83/122 (68%), 1142 yards (285.5 per game), 13 TDs (2 rush TDs; 3.25 TDs per game), 0 INTs.  To average nearly 300 yards, 3 TDs, and 0 INTs per game for the Super Bowl is unreal.  Yes, he had an incredible crew around him that included Jerry and a solid OL, good defense, and very good coaching, but those numbers are unreal.  I think people would say Montana, but in my opinion, Peyton is the best of all time and that goes back to his numerous MVP titles.  Championships and wins are team accomplishments, but those MVPs are individual awards. Having Peyton on your team alone gets you to 10 wins.  Put Peyton in Oakland or Jacksonville right now and they become a playoff team.

However, to be honest, it is impossible to judge who is the best of all time when you have to compare guys from different eras, playing with different rules.  There are way too many variables and factors to consider, like rules of the game, coaching, surrounding players, etc.

Also, and I touched on this in the Adrian Paterson thread, I know wins aren't an individual stat but for heck's sake YOU HAVE TO WIN SOME GAMES EVERY NOW N THEN!!!!!!! 0-16...and he's up there with Jerry Rice gimmie a break. With that said, he's good and he's still enjoying his peak.

I don't think Peyton has missed a beat. This hasn't exactly been 1 of those years that started with 3 easy games. The first real gimmie isn't until week 10 against Oakland (maaaaaybe the Jets before then).

When the MVP comes down to guys whose are around 10-6, it doesn't usually got to a quarterback. I think that's what we'll be looking at down the line.

It's only qbs in consideration because no other player has separated himself so far. Julio Jones is having the best year at WR so far, but I don't think he's made a real case for MVP yet. No RB deserves mention so far. On defense, has anyone really stood out far and beyond their respective peers? I don't personally think so. Therefore, we're left with QBs.

Demarco Murray is on pace for 2040 rushing yards 328 in the air and 15 tds he should be in the discussion .

Maybe it's a generational thing......

But I just don't understand the need to have an MVP discussion after 3 weeks?!?

The leaders/front runners for the award are going to change several times before December when things get serious and we separate the contenders from the pretenders.....

But......   don't let me stop the fun....   I must be approaching my old fuddy-duddy years!        :slaphead:            :giveup: 

Who do you think is better then jerry

I don't think any receiver should ever be considered the best player in the NFL. They don't impact the game as much as the QB or a great defensive player. To answer your question, it would be Montana in my mind or Reggie White.

Or to put it another way, if you could only pick one player, would you rather right now have on your team Andrew Luck, J.J. Watt or Calvin Johnson? I would take Luck or Watt without hesitation over Johnson.

He has looked a bit off this year. Father time gets us all. Still, he is the front runner for MVP.

No real threat from any player that is not a QB. Maybe Calvin Johnson?

Megatron doesn't seem his usual self, though I think he's nursing an injury. Still a beast and could be a candidate by year's end as always.

Jerry Rice deserved the MVP at least twice. In 1990 he had the most catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns without Roger Craig and I don't even want to hear about Joe Montana. Rice had the same numbers every year with Young and Bono in quite possibly the worst quarterback situation the sports has ever seen (people will disagree but at the time...). What more do youbwant from a WR? 5 TDs in a game? O well he did that atleast twice during those years. The other season he deserved it was 1992. Talk about carrying a team...

I absolutely love Rice. And the guy deserves every accolade he has.

That being said he was in what I consider the single best situation any player has ever been in for nearly all of his career. While the greatness of the QBs can't be understated, the brilliance of Walsh is nearly forgotten.

A comparable situation would be Calvin Johnson, playing in Chip Kelly's offense, with Belicheck as HC, while catching passes from Manning/Rivers, with a great defense, and offensive line, in a league comprised mostly of AFC South teams.

I don't agree. Taylor, Clark, Lott, and Craig were gone. Walsh was there for 1 year and Montana for 4ish and we already covered what Rice went through during that bizarre quarterback situation.

He played in an ace offense alright, but the Xs and Os mean nothing without a coach who can coach beyond the playbook which I think you understand. That's why you took Kelly's playbook but let Belichik be the coach. Seifert was no Belichik or Walsh.

I think it's lame that a QB always wins it.

Chris Johnson should've won it several years back and you could easily have made the argument that certain defensive players should've won it in recent years.

JJ Watt has to be the only player with a defensive touchdown and offensive touchdown this season

MVP worthy imo

Maybe it's a generational thing......

But I just don't understand the need to have an MVP discussion after 3 weeks?!?

The leaders/front runners for the award are going to change several times before December when things get serious and we separate the contenders from the pretenders.....

But......   don't let me stop the fun....   I must be approaching my old fuddy-duddy years!        :slaphead:            :giveup:

It is always a fun discussion & you want to give credit to those who are the cream of the crop. Of course with the MVP award this will be an ongoing discussion in which things will change each week as we go on. Players will have their ups & downs. It's football talk man.