Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

(09-26-14) MVP THREAD

danlhart87

QBs techincally should be the "Most Valuable Player", though.

That's the problem I have with the MVP award.  QB's are almost always going to win it and it makes sense.  They are responsible for 65% of the offense min and that's on teams where they are called "game managers"  You look at the top QB's and it's 80% or more.

Honestly they should just go with offensive and defensive player of the year.  If they want a few more awards they could give out awards for best player in their position.  Best QB, Best RB, Best WR/TE, Best OL, Best DL, Best LB, Best DB

I don't know how people arent mentioning Rivers. He's the front runner imo. My order so far:

1. Rivers

2. Peyton

3. Murray

4. Luck

5. Watt

6. Rodgers

If SD wins AFC West, Rivers is hands down MVP

If Cowboys win NFC East with a top 2 or 3 seeding, and DeMarco Murray wins rushing title, DeMarco Murray is MVP

I think Rivers and Murray are my 2 leading candidates

Luck will have 3 QB-starved teams in the AFC South go against him in the MVP discussion, IMO. Rivers and Murray won't have that issue.

Rivers is in the thick of it too, IMO.

I don't know how people arent mentioning Rivers. He's the front runner imo. My order so far:

1. Rivers

2. Peyton

3. Murray

4. Luck

5. Watt

6. Rodgers

I agree with you... I'd maybe swap Luck and Manning on your list though. 

Luck, Wilson, Watt. I wouldn't be upset with any of those guys winning MVP. Manning should always be in the discussion, and I have no doubt that he will have a great shot to win it.

Wilson should be in the conversation, but chances are he won't if he hits his current pace of 3,472 and 32 TDs adn 5 INTs.  The TD/INT ratio is nice, but 215ish yards a game would probably really hold him back.

I have not commented on this thread because I wanted others to bring Rivers up first - he has been simply amazing this year.  Here's what I think sets him apart:

1.  He calls his own plays and completely commands that offense.  Not only that, but since Hardwick is out, he's telling everyone what the coverage is and adjusting their defensive assignments from the line (Hardwick did that as center).  That sets him and a few others a notch above in my book.

2.  He has thrown only one interception all year, and that was on Eddie Royal who stopped running mid-route.  He's at a 9 to 1 ratio right now, and there aren't any that come to mind where he was "lucky" not to be picked.  I don't think they've even been close to being picked off. 

3.  His last two games he has exceeded a QB rating of 130, for the year 114.5.

4.  YTD Stats: 

Philip Rivers:  ATT 137, COMP 96, YDS 1,155, COMP %70.1 YDS/ATT 8.4, TD 9,  TD % 6.6, INT 1, INT% 0.7, LONG 49, SACK 5, SACK/LOST 26, RATING 114.5

5.  He's getting pressured a great deal more than shows in the sacks.  He has single handedly escaped the grasp and completed some of the most amazing passes out of the midst of pressure.  Absolutely cool and level headed in or out of the pocket.

6.  The last two games he's had no running game and is on his #3 and #4 Center, lost his right guard early in the year and had an unstable, less than ideal line.  

7.  Some times a QBs numbers look better than they are because of having a single outstanding receiver or TE.  No single target that's making his numbers, he has completely spread the ball around.  

8.  Rivers could care less about gaudy stats, if we need to win the game by running it 100% that's what he would be willing to do.  Fiery leader, utterly humble team player.

MVP in my book whether or not the NFL realizes it.  No apologies, Love him, so glad he's ours :-)

I agree with you... I'd maybe swap Luck and Manning on your list though. 

Really? Because Luck has a grand total of 491 more yards than Manning & when they went head to head he threw for roughly 100 more yards against that supposedly rebuilt defense. Plus he has 4 more td's at this point in the season too.  I say Supreme's list is pretty spot on.

Really? Because Luck has a grand total of 491 more yards than Manning & when they went head to head he threw for roughly 100 more yards against that supposedly rebuilt defense. Plus he has 4 more td's at this point in the season too.  I say Supreme's list is pretty spot on.

I think you misunderstood what GoPats was saying......or maybe I've misunderstood you. No big deal either way. Relax.

Other way around.  ;)

Unless I just goofed on that. I'd put Luck ahead at this point. 

Other way around.  ;)

Unless I just goofed on that. I'd put Luck ahead at this point. 

Yes GoPats was the one that had Luck higher haha.

I don't penalize Peyton for playing one less game than Luck due to the bye.  You couldn't make any comparisions if you did penalize.  I assume an average game for Peyton, and that means 2-3 TDs (3 probably since he only got held to 2 because he played the league's best defense.  So he would then have about 11 Tds and still 1 INT or maybe 2).  So the stats are similar for Peyton and Luck, but I factor in that Luck got outplayed by Peyton and lost in the game vs the Broncos.  Luck also, imo, played very poorly vs the Eagles, despite the 3 TDS. Luck's been brilliant the last two games, but I have to factor in the level of competition, and neither team's defense is very good.  Jacksonville could be the worst defense in NFL history.  The Colts also have a better run game than the Broncos.  With all these factors taken into consideration, I have Peyton slightly higher than Luck at this point.

Rivers is my leading candidate because while I do believe he made a huge mental error that cost them the win vs the Cardinals, his play in these subsequent 3 weeks has been brilliant.  He is also dealing with an equally bad run game as Peyton.  I think Peyton will catch up to Rivers after the bye weeks even out, and the Broncos will sweep the Chargers, hurting Rivers' claim for MVP.  But as of right now, I have Rivers higher.

Yes GoPats was the one that had Luck higher haha.

I don't penalize Peyton for playing one less game than Luck due to the bye. You couldn't make any comparisions if you did penalize. I assume an average game for Peyton, and that means 2-3 TDs (3 probably since he only got held to 2 because he played the league's best defense. So he would then have about 11 Tds and still 1 INT or maybe 2). So the stats are similar for Peyton and Luck, but I factor in that Luck got outplayed by Peyton and lost in the game vs the Broncos. Luck also, imo, played very poorly vs the Eagles, despite the 3 TDS. Luck's been brilliant the last two games, but I have to factor in the level of competition, and neither team's defense is very good. Jacksonville could be the worst defense in NFL history. The Colts also have a better run game than the Broncos. With all these factors taken into consideration, I have Peyton slightly higher than Luck at this point.

Rivers is my leading candidate because while I do believe he made a huge mental error that cost them the win vs the Cardinals, his play in these subsequent 3 weeks has been brilliant. He is also dealing with an equally bad run game as Peyton. I think Peyton will catch up to Rivers after the bye weeks even out, and the Broncos will sweep the Chargers, hurting Rivers' claim for MVP. But as of right now, I have Rivers higher.

Huge mental error? Brilliant against the Jags. Don't think you are being consistent. Rivers is doing great for sure, but your off hand dismissal of Luck is off balance to your praise of Phil.

Huge mental error? Brilliant against the Jags. Don't think you are being consistent. Rivers is doing great for sure, but your off hand dismissal of Luck is off balance to your praise of Phil.

I actually said both were brilliant against the Jaguars. But Rivers has also been brilliant against Seattle and the Bills, where Luck has just Tennessee.

At this point I would have to go with Phillip Rivers with Luck a close second and Murray third. That said we are only a fourth the way through...and we will see a big emphasis down the stretch and I would expect Wilson, Rodgers, and possibly Peyton to make a late run at it. I'm sure a black horse candidate will arise but Andrew has been getting tons of good press...perhaps he rides that to a close win.