Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Concerning Statistic

Coffeedrinker

I'm sure you're not, based on what I know of you. But you did start your post by pointing out the correlation between wins and YPP. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think there's a real correlation between regular season wins and preseason YPP, and as such, I'm not concerned. As you said, the Colts were only at 4.4 YPP in 2013 preseason, yet they won 11 games, plus a playoff game (which required a bunch of offense).

Good point and I should have been more clear, YPP does correlate to wins. YPP in the preseason does not correlate to wins in the regular season.  

And yes, I guess my statement about not drawing any conclusions is not completely accurate.  I'm not saying they are going to have a bad season because their YPP is low.  But I am saying it's not a good sign that a) it's the lowest in the league and b) it's a substantial drop from last year (13.7% to be precise).  And that was with Satele and McGlynn on the line, DHB catching passes and Ballard being the only NFL running back in preseason, so it's not like they were stacked offensively last year compared to this year.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point and I should have been more clear, YPP does correlate to wins. YPP in the preseason does not correlate to wins in the regular season.

And yes, I guess my statement about not drawing any conclusions is not completely accurate. I'm not saying they are going to have a bad season because their YPP is low. But I am saying it's not a good sign that a) it's the lowest in the league and b) it's a substantial drop from last year (13.7% to be precise). And that was with Satele and McGlynn on the line, DHB catching passes and Ballard being the only NFL running back in preseason, so it's not like they were stacked offensively last year compared to this year.

I'm not convinced that the players that matter have a below average YPP this preseason. Fully half of our possessions at this point were lead by Harnish, who has played poorly and probably won't make the team. So our poor YPP is a reflection that our cut players are worse then other teams cut players. Which doesn't really matter.

If you want to attempt to see how YPP might apply to the regular season you should try the calculation using the players that will actually play as I did above. Imperfect for all the reasons other posters alluded to about big plays in a small sample skewing results, but better then the raw numbers in the OP.

Who's freaking out?  It's a stat that matters and the Colts happen to be the worst in the NFL.  Other teams are in the same situation, most have only played 2 games with their 3rd string playing most of the snaps and yet they are still better than the Colts. 

The first string has contributed more to the lowest YPP in the league than the 2nd string.

I figured this may become a thread where football fans could talk about some of the reasons, especially from the starters, but instead I get the responses that require no thought like, it's the preseason who cares, once the starts are in it'll be different.

Oh well.

Frankly I would love to come out of the preseason with all our guys healthy and the worse YPP in the entire league. Our 1's have easily outplayed the opposition in both preseason games so far at least from where I sit. The numbers can be very misleading teams with young players are giving their starters more time etc.

The only thing that can slow our offense this year in my opinion is injuries or Pep.

Frankly I would love to come out of the preseason with all our guys healthy and the worse YPP in the entire league. Our 1's have easily outplayed the opposition in both preseason games so far at least from where I sit. The numbers can be very misleading teams with young players are giving their starters more time etc.

The only thing that can slow our offense this year in my opinion is injuries or Pep.

I agree !! In fact, I don't care if we end up with the lowest YPP for the entire year as long as we have a better YPP in each of our games, which would be a big credit to our defense.

And yes, I guess my statement about not drawing any conclusions is not completely accurate.  I'm not saying they are going to have a bad season because their YPP is low.  But I am saying it's not a good sign that a) it's the lowest in the league and b) it's a substantial drop from last year (13.7% to be precise).  And that was with Satele and McGlynn on the line, DHB catching passes and Ballard being the only NFL running back in preseason, so it's not like they were stacked offensively last year compared to this year.

Fair observations.

I would like to see what the YPP for the first unit is, compared to last season, and compared to the rest of the league. That's all I think is even remotely pertinent, and only for the upcoming game which will mimic regular season conditions and atmosphere. And there would still be basis for optimism, given that Holmes and maybe Mewhort aren't playing tomorrow, and Wayne and Bradshaw will probably be held out as well. 

I think it's a bit early to judge a stat like that with the starting offense getting 1 or 2 drives and leaving the field.  I  would assume that stat goes up and down as the game is played through each quarter. Hard to judge that when the starters are playing for two drives and not even using the full playbook, or doing any game planning.  Also when the 1st team is on the field it's not even the full first team, Bradshaw out, Wayne out, Hilton out in one game, some portions of the line out.   We'll be fine!

C'mon man ...  you are better than this.

Pre Season is ....    the preseason. 

Come week 4 if this is the case then yes...        alarm bells ringing.

But it won't happen, this O is going to Rock and Roll ...  

BUT, you are spot on with the YPP..    that is the first thing "Vegas" looks at...    determining how strong a team is.

I know it's a stat but not all stats are created equal.  There are some stats that over time have shown to have a true correlation on wins and losses in the NFL.  One of those stats is TOs, usually the team that wins the TO battle wins the game.  Another stat that is proven to correlate to wins is Yards per play.  A top level offense will average 5.6 to 6.+ yards per play, average teams are in that 5.1 to 5.5 YPP and below average offenses are <=5.0 YPP.  So far in the preseason the Colts are the worst in the NFL at 3.8 YPP.  That is horrible.

I know, many of you will say it's because of the running game or because of the back-ups.  And they are a part of it but none of the QBs have been helping it.

MH leads the Colts at 6.7 yards per attempt.  Which is average.  Luck is at 6.2 yards per attempt, Harnish, as expected, is the worst at 4.4 yards per attempt.

I know it's the preseason and part of what the preseason is for is to work out those kinks but it's still concerning, especially being that low.  I looked back through 2009 and this is the worst YPP the Colts have had in that time frame at least.  The closest was last year at 4.4 YPP

I know it's a stat but not all stats are created equal.  There are some stats that over time have shown to have a true correlation on wins and losses in the NFL.  One of those stats is TOs, usually the team that wins the TO battle wins the game.  Another stat that is proven to correlate to wins is Yards per play.  A top level offense will average 5.6 to 6.+ yards per play, average teams are in that 5.1 to 5.5 YPP and below average offenses are <=5.0 YPP.  So far in the preseason the Colts are the worst in the NFL at 3.8 YPP.  That is horrible.

I know, many of you will say it's because of the running game or because of the back-ups.  And they are a part of it but none of the QBs have been helping it.

MH leads the Colts at 6.7 yards per attempt.  Which is average.  Luck is at 6.2 yards per attempt, Harnish, as expected, is the worst at 4.4 yards per attempt.

I know it's the preseason and part of what the preseason is for is to work out those kinks but it's still concerning, especially being that low.  I looked back through 2009 and this is the worst YPP the Colts have had in that time frame at least.  The closest was last year at 4.4 YPP

It is not concerning to me. Our starters and second team are dominating. 

If you truly want to look at pre-season numbers you have to look at first stringer numbers because they are the ones who are going to play once the season starts and even then I think you are wasting your time trying to draw much of anything that will translate to the season. However with the starters I think the Colts have turned it over like once and taken it away three or four times and had a couple more taken away due to flags that had nothing to do with the play. There a very good turnover ratio. Still it's pre-season no one is going to remember pre-season numbers when the Colts take the field in Denver.

It's a stat that matters and the Colts happen to be the worst in the NFL. Other teams are in the same situation, most have only played 2 games with their 3rd string playing most of the snaps and yet they are still better than the Colts.

but instead I get the responses that require no thought like, it's the preseason who cares, once the starts are in it'll be different.

Oh well.

All of this makes me think you gave this topic no thought.

We're worse in the nfl... With our 3rd stringers. Does it matter or apply ir have ANY relevance to how our season will go? Will our third stringers be playing all the time? Our first stringers just started playing again too with new plays. But does it mean our season is doomed? Does it have any correlation to how the season will go? If we judged our season by how we play in pre season, we would have never had a good season for over a decade. I think there has been one year since we first got Manning that we had a 3-1 preseason. Typically 2-2 or 1-3. Heck even 0-4. But we seemed to do fine in the regular season. Idk how long you've been watching football, but that's the general consensus with nearly every NFL teams fans. It's pre season. A time to judge our rookies and backups and try out new things. Now to work ourselves up over something that means nothing, has no effect on our season or playoff chances. Here's something that might require some thought, come back mid season with the same stats. Let's talk about it then, and you can keep in mind the pre season stats and compare them to the regular season.

The answer that requires no thought is the right answer, cause nobody cares.

All of this makes me think you gave this topic no thought.

We're worse in the nfl... With our 3rd stringers. Does it matter or apply ir have ANY relevance to how our season will go? Will our third stringers be playing all the time? Our first stringers just started playing again too with new plays. But does it mean our season is doomed? Does it have any correlation to how the season will go? If we judged our season by how we play in pre season, we would have never had a good season for over a decade. I think there has been one year since we first got Manning that we had a 3-1 preseason. Typically 2-2 or 1-3. Heck even 0-4. But we seemed to do fine in the regular season. Idk how long you've been watching football, but that's the general consensus with nearly every NFL teams fans. It's pre season. A time to judge our rookies and backups and try out new things. Now to work ourselves up over something that means nothing, has no effect on our season or playoff chances. Here's something that might require some thought, come back mid season with the same stats. Let's talk about it then, and you can keep in mind the pre season stats and compare them to the regular season.

The answer that requires no thought is the right answer, cause nobody cares.

Funny, quite a paragraph for something that requires no thought and that nobody cares.  But I'm sitting how watching the Colts starters struggle the move the ball consistently against the Saints starters and the watching the Colts starters struggle to move the ball consistently against the Saint backups.  I also find it funny that you mention the record in the preseason I never said anything about the record.  Oh well.

Funny, quite a paragraph for something that requires no thought and that nobody cares. But I'm sitting how watching the Colts starters struggle the move the ball consistently against the Saints starters and the watching the Colts starters struggle to move the ball consistently against the Saint backups. I also find it funny that you mention the record in the preseason I never said anything about the record. Oh well.

Idc, until someone like you attacks other people over stupid stuff like this. And don't say you didn't cause you were saying everyone who gave the who cares answer is giving no thought. Maybe they did and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. it's not like proofs in math where you have to explain every process you go through to get to your answer.

I mention the record because you're making a big deal over pre season performance and I provided proof that we have never done well in pre season. You would understand that If you put some thought to it.

And I still don't care. We played poorly this game but I'm still not worried about our regular season until we start showing we play that way and entire game.

You can find all of it funny but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one finding it funny that you're acting like the kind of new 'fan' who has no clue about the nfl. Did you just start watching the nfl 3 weeks ago?

Idc, until someone like you attacks other people over stupid stuff like this. And don't say you didn't cause you were saying everyone who gave the who cares answer is giving no thought. Maybe they did and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. it's not like proofs in math where you have to explain every process you go through to get to your answer.

I mention the record because you're making a big deal over pre season performance and I provided proof that we have never done well in pre season. You would understand that If you put some thought to it.

And I still don't care. We played poorly this game but I'm still not worried about our regular season until we start showing we play that way and entire game.

You can find all of it funny but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one finding it funny that you're acting like the kind of new 'fan' who has no clue about the nfl. Did you just start watching the nfl 3 weeks ago?

I've been watching the NFL long enough to know what things are important and what things aren't.  Preseason records aren't important, individual stats aren't important nor is a preseason record proof of performance.    And some things I've noticed is that, even in preseason, when the team is the worst in the NFL at something it's usually not good.  Even in the preseason when the team happens to be the worst at something that directly relates to wins and losses then it's concerning.

I was hoping some people would offer some reasons for it.  And some did and then after watching the game last night I think I understand the why.

But as someone who has only been watching the NFL for 3 weeks (apparently) I will say, thanks for your wonderful words of wisdom Narcosys, your knowledge of the game of football and all that go into it will be the stuff of legend one day.  I am sure when I get to your level of knowledge I will be able to watch my favorite team play poorly and say, "So what, it doesn't mean anything."

Very sloppy game, but at least it was better than 3.8. Need to execute better and finish at the goal line. 

That is kind of what a poor YPP indicates... sloppy play.  But in watching the game it goes beyond poor execution... it was poor play calling, poor situational awareness by both the players and coaches.

Right now, the Colts have no identity, no idea what kind of team they want to be, everything seems to be a "let's try this and see if works" mentality.

That is kind of what a poor YPP indicates... sloppy play.  But in watching the game it goes beyond poor execution... it was poor play calling, poor situational awareness by both the players and coaches.

Right now, the Colts have no identity, no idea what kind of team they want to be, everything seems to be a "let's try this and see if works" mentality.

I thought the play calling in goal line situations was weird. But overall, I didn't have a problem with the plays in the third game. 

I'd say the identity is pretty clear, too. At least I hope it is, because we've been pretty much in 11 and 12 personnel, probably 80% of the time. MInimal use of FBs and extra linemen / TEs, running out of shotgun with traps (some ugly draws that will probably be scrapped, I hope), a little pistol formation for runs, high percentage passes, sensible route combinations, etc. I think the offensive attack looks a lot like it looked toward the end of last season, and that's what a lot of us hoped for.

Pep still gets on my nerves at times, but hopefully the game plans will be better in the regular season. I see an identity coming into focus, though. If we can clean up the run blocking (the ability looks to be there at times), it should crystallize even more.

I thought the play calling in goal line situations was weird. But overall, I didn't have a problem with the plays in the third game. 

Pep still gets on my nerves at times, but hopefully the game plans will be better in the regular season. I see an identity coming into focus, though. If we can clean up the run blocking (the ability looks to be there at times), it should crystallize even more.

I think you're being generous about the play calling at the goal line.

I thought the play calling there was amateurish, at best.

They called "power" on first down....  and they had extra o-lineman on the field!  (wth, this is NOT Stanford anymore!)  Mewhort was very slow pulling, the Saints DL and LBs pushed the Colts way back and TRich, or Bradshaw (whoever it was) had nowhere to go.    A loss of a yard...  (actually, more like 4-5 feet)

Second down, and the Colts O almost looked scared....   they rolled out Luck and he was running so fast he couldn't get off any decent throw...    the throw to Hilton was late arriving and TY was falling out of bounds and couldn't catch the poorly thrown ball.

Third down,  and they're trying to find Fleener in the corner....    there's good coverage and Luck tries to drill a back-shoulder throw and Fleener is running the other way and can't twist around.

Honestly,  I thought it was terrible, terrible and terrible.

I was badly disappointed.    I was going to bring this up during this week,  but your post seems like a good entry point....

Hope my post didn't come across as attacking you....   just wanted my disappointment with Pep on that sequence to be clear....

Yuk!     :yuk:

I think you're being generous about the play calling at the goal line.

I thought the play calling there was amateurish, at best.

They called "power" on first down....  and they had extra o-lineman on the field!  (wth, this is NOT Stanford anymore!)  Mewhort was very slow pulling, the Saints DL and LBs pushed the Colts way back and TRich, or Bradshaw (whoever it was) had nowhere to go.    A loss of a yard...  (actually, more like 4-5 feet)

Second down, and the Colts O almost looked scared....   they rolled out Luck and he was running so fast he couldn't get off any decent throw...    the throw to Hilton was late arriving and TY was falling out of bounds and couldn't catch the poorly thrown ball.

Third down,  and they're trying to find Fleener in the corner....    there's good coverage and Luck tries to drill a back-shoulder throw and Fleener is running the other way and can't twist around.

Honestly,  I thought it was terrible, terrible and terrible.

I was badly disappointed.    I was going to bring this up during this week,  but your post seems like a good entry point....

Hope my post didn't come across as attacking you....   just wanted my disappointment with Pep on that sequence to be clear....

Yuk!     :yuk:

I agree. 

I said "weird" because they did the exact opposite on the next goal line series -- run, run, run... fail, fail, fail. I think they'd mix it up a little more in a real game, but wanted to try some things out. I'm fine with "power" with an extra lineman, just don't take all your WRs off the field.

Ironically, I've been calling for rollouts, but I don't want them in goal line situations, unless it's a bootleg. Not a fan of the move plays that close to the end zone.

I'd say the identity is pretty clear, too. At least I hope it is, because we've been pretty much in 11 and 12 personnel, probably 80% of the time. MInimal use of FBs and extra linemen / TEs, running out of shotgun with traps (some ugly draws that will probably be scrapped, I hope), a little pistol formation for runs, high percentage passes, sensible route combinations, etc. I think the offensive attack looks a lot like it looked toward the end of last season, and that's what a lot of us hoped for.

I disagree (but this is just based on the NO game) the formations and personnel appear they want to be a high flying offense with big plays and up tempo but the play calling is this little dink and dunk, let's not make any mistakes type offense.

But you may be right, perhaps they have an identity and I just don't like it.

PRESEASON, PRESEASON, PRESEASON, PRESEASON...  DON'T CARE.  PRESEASON.

A lot of people say this, yes it's preseason so the wins/losses don't matter but that doesn't mean that the things that happen in the games don't matter.  Just the opposite in fact, the things the individual players do in the preseason games is of the utmost importance and proper execution is at the top of list of things that are important to do in a preseason game.

A lot of people say this, yes it's preseason so the wins/losses don't matter but that doesn't mean that the things that happen in the games don't matter.  Just the opposite in fact, the things the individual players do in the preseason games is of the utmost importance and proper execution is at the top of list of things that are important to do in a preseason game.

It doesn't count, but it does matter. Absolutely.

I agree. 

I said "weird" because they did the exact opposite on the next goal line series -- run, run, run... fail, fail, fail. I think they'd mix it up a little more in a real game, but wanted to try some things out. I'm fine with "power" with an extra lineman, just don't take all your WRs off the field.

Ironically, I've been calling for rollouts, but I don't want them in goal line situations, unless it's a bootleg. Not a fan of the move plays that close to the end zone.

I agree, if you're going to roll your QB out, make sure your not goal line.  Also need to be sure D alignment doesn't overload that side.  Because you basically allow the D to only have to cover 1/2 the field; unless you give it off on a reverse.  I think they were feeling out players and capabilities while not showing their hand.  Quite vanilla.  When the games count the play calls should allow for better match ups.

I disagree (but this is just based on the NO game) the formations and personnel appear they want to be a high flying offense with big plays and up tempo but the play calling is this little dink and dunk, let's not make any mistakes type offense.

But you may be right, perhaps they have an identity and I just don't like it.

High flying, up tempo doesn't necessarily have to mean all vertical. I think Luck has been a little risk averse, but I also think he's just missed a few longer chances. The underthrow to Fleener that was picked off should have been a big play. We haven't tried to get Hilton behind the defense yet. I'm fine with taking the open options underneath, so long as we're not keeping everyone short of the marker on third down.

I think the passing attack is going to stress high percentage passes, and I think that's a good thing. The explosive ability is there, but being able to hit short and intermediate will open up the long stuff. I'm more concerned with third down and red zone conversions. 

I've been watching the NFL long enough to know what things are important and what things aren't.  Preseason records aren't important, individual stats aren't important nor is a preseason record proof of performance.    And some things I've noticed is that, even in preseason, when the team is the worst in the NFL at something it's usually not good.  Even in the preseason when the team happens to be the worst at something that directly relates to wins and losses then it's concerning.

I was hoping some people would offer some reasons for it.  And some did and then after watching the game last night I think I understand the why.

But as someone who has only been watching the NFL for 3 weeks (apparently) I will say, thanks for your wonderful words of wisdom Narcosys, your knowledge of the game of football and all that go into it will be the stuff of legend one day.  I am sure when I get to your level of knowledge I will be able to watch my favorite team play poorly and say, "So what, it doesn't mean anything."

Please dome a favor.  Go through our past pre seasons and get all the YPP you want.  I am willing to bet that our YPP in those preseasons were the worst as well.  especially our 0-4 preseason when we won the superbowl that year.  Again, many teams keep things basic or try new things out and it is nothing that you will see during the regular season.  Can you understand that?  We had horrible defenses for years, but still mananaged to make it to the playoffs those years.  What i am saying is that your YPP for preseason, is basically trash and what really matters is seeing how our first 4 or 5 games go and start judging the YPP then. If we suck it up, then we suck it up.  But im still not going to believe for one second that our preseason play is going to determine how our season is going to go.  Ever.

Please dome a favor.  Go through our past pre seasons and get all the YPP you want.  I am willing to bet that our YPP in those preseasons were the worst as well.  especially our 0-4 preseason when we won the superbowl that year.  Again, many teams keep things basic or try new things out and it is nothing that you will see during the regular season.  Can you understand that?  We had horrible defenses for years, but still mananaged to make it to the playoffs those years.  What i am saying is that your YPP for preseason, is basically trash and what really matters is seeing how our first 4 or 5 games go and start judging the YPP then. If we suck it up, then we suck it up.  But im still not going to believe for one second that our preseason play is going to determine how our season is going to go.  Ever.

You would be incorrect.  The YPP were usually middle of the road.

You would be incorrect.  The YPP were usually middle of the road.

Just middle of the road...with Manning.  You would expect it to be near the top. So with no Wayne really playing, a still troublesome Luck, and  poor run game, I am not surprised.  So again, i reserve judgement til after the first 4 games.

Just middle of the road...with Manning.  You would expect it to be near the top. So with no Wayne really playing, a still troublesome Luck, and  poor run game, I am not surprised.  So again, i reserve judgement til after the first 4 games.

I'm sure if I broke it down Manning's numbers would have been near the top but I didn't break it down.  But how can youexpect that it would be near the top when you would have bet it was the worst in the NFL?

Someone else (Smash Mouth I think) made a good point in another thread that maybe Luck was not audibling out of plays in the preseason and that he should be able to do that in the regular season.  And I can see that happening but I would think the time to practice that would be in the 3rd preseason game, at least in the first two or three drives of that game.

I'm sure if I broke it down Manning's numbers would have been near the top but I didn't break it down.  But how can youexpect that it would be near the top when you would have bet it was the worst in the NFL?

Someone else (Smash Mouth I think) made a good point in another thread that maybe Luck was not audibling out of plays in the preseason and that he should be able to do that in the regular season.  And I can see that happening but I would think the time to practice that would be in the 3rd preseason game, at least in the first two or three drives of that game.

Ya i bet it was going to be low.  but it was middle.  I was saying specifically that you, with how you were insenuating that preseason stats affect regular (and have since stated otherwise), would expect manning led teams to be high because of how they did in the regular season.  That is because we already know the outcome of those seasons.  However, the stats of the preseason obviously do not  to the stats of the regular season, for those seasons.  Thus, disproving your insenuation that Preseason affects reg season.

And i completely understand why Luck was not audibling out of plays.  Because there is no reason to.  There is no reason to show your hand to other teams.  There is no reason to blast out your plays, your audibles, your formation changes, etc, to the entire league during the pre season.  No, again, its a time to try new things out and keep it simple.  Run the specific plays you want to try and see what works outright, and what doesnt. 

Ya i bet it was going to be low.  but it was middle.  I was saying specifically that you, with how you were insenuating that preseason stats affect regular (and have since stated otherwise), would expect manning led teams to be high because of how they did in the regular season.  That is because we already know the outcome of those seasons.  However, the stats of the preseason obviously do not  to the stats of the regular season, for those seasons.  Thus, disproving your insenuation that Preseason affects reg season.

And i completely understand why Luck was not audibling out of plays.  Because there is no reason to.  There is no reason to show your hand to other teams.  There is no reason to blast out your plays, your audibles, your formation changes, etc, to the entire league during the pre season.  No, again, its a time to try new things out and keep it simple.  Run the specific plays you want to try and see what works outright, and what doesnt. 

Not at all.  The times when the Colts had lower than usual YPP they were not as efficient offensively throughout the season.  And my comment was never about the Colts having a lower YPP than they usually do during the season.  They have never (in the years I checked) been the worst in the NFL at YPP and at a ridiculously low number.  And I think it was shown to be a problem against the Saints.  The 3rd preseason game that they game planned for and was a dress rehearsal for the season.

So preseason is a time to try new things and yet not show the other teams your new things?  That would be tough to do.  That only would make sense if teams could only get film of the Colts during the preseason.  They've already announced that Luck will have more control and more plays available to audible to during the season.  It's not like film of him doing it in the preseason is going to give anything away. Additionally, I did not mention because I disagreed with Smash Mouth, I completely agreed with his comment and I think it will make a difference during the season.