Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep is not too impressed with Nicks

deedub75

I disagree... 

Nicks has been "average" for ....  some time now...

And his "attitude" is ONE reason...  

He has been given a very NICE opportunity....     

We shall ALL see where it takes him.    

My best guess....   lazy, enabled, and.....     

CUT.   Great op here in Indy... 

This. The end.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From all of the other reports we've been getting from training camp, this isn't something that has popped up until now. I find it odd that none of our other Colts "reporters", and even forum members, haven't really said anything about this. I've not been to camp, so all I have to go off of is what's been reported on here an twitter, but Mr. James isn't a familiar one to me. I believe there is some over-analyzing and things taken out of context pertaining to what he wrote, that's just my opinion.

However, IF Nicks is out of shape, he will get there very quickly. I think this is an article to take with a grain of salt.

I am not sure the forum or even the Colts reporters are going to pick up on if someone is in game shape or not.  Also Tom James is one of those Colts reporters and he's the guy who got the quote that the story quoted.  Tom James writes for the Terre Haute paper and has covered the Colts for years.  He's their version of Mike Chappell. 

Frankly the fact this coming from a quote from one of the Colts coaches tells me it's probably legit.  It's not a member of the media or a forum member who thinks he sees something when in reality they don't really know what they are looking for.  It's a member of the coaching staff saying they aren't sure if he's in game shape yet or not and saying he hasn't seen enough.  I'd just say rather than people dismissing this and and trying to discredit it because they don't want it to be true maybe we should at least just listen to it and tuck it away in the back of our minds and just wait and see how Nicks does as the pre-season goes along.  If he struggles maybe we can point back to this and go well at least the coaches spotted it early or if he goes out and performs in a game it becomes a none story.  

It's not the end of the world for Nicks but if nothing else focuses the spotlight on him a little more.  One thing going in the Colts favor is that Nicks is going to be pushed by guys like Rogers, Moncreif, and Whalen this pre-season to get snaps and that's not even including guys like Wayne and Hilton and if what Allen said about him and Fleener never coming out is true those snaps are going to be hard to come by so Nicks is going to have to perform just to get on the field. 

We don't even know what question Pep was answering, so from my point of view nothing in this article is credible. If they can't include something as important as that there is an agenda behind the story and it isn't to get the truth out.

Funny no one is complaining about this part of the quote "His talent is well documented and his ability to be a productive receiver in the league is without a doubt something that we are not questioning, he’s a special talent.”  My guess is since that's what most Colts fans were hoping to have from Nicks they don't have a problem accepting that as credible and without an agenda behind it.  It's only when something is reported that we don't want to hear do people try to play the it's not credible card and the agenda card.  Give me a break.  It's a quote from a coach that does raise a little concern about Nicks.  Is it the end of the world?  No.  Is it something to watch I would say yes. 

Other than asking the question, "But how can Nicks not show up for the most important training camp of his life in game shape?" Florio does nothing but really post facts in this story.  Frankly that question is a question that anyone is going to ask when they read a coach saying what Pep said about Nicks.  From there Florio points out Nicks numbers have taken a down tick which is true and that he got a one year deal from the Colts.  He then goes on to point out due to the Colts having other players at the WR position reps might be hard to come by.  That's exactly the kind of thing you do want if what is being said about Nicks is true because in theory it should push him to work hard to get on the field.  If he doesn't then I think several people are going to be asking the question Florio asked.

Funny no one is complaining about this part of the quote "His talent is well documented and his ability to be a productive receiver in the league is without a doubt something that we are not questioning, he’s a special talent.”  My guess is since that's what most Colts fans were hoping to have from Nicks they don't have a problem accepting that as credible and without an agenda behind it.  It's only when something is reported that we don't want to hear do people try to play the it's not credible card and the agenda card.  Give me a break.  It's a quote from a coach that does raise a little concern about Nicks.  Is it the end of the world?  No.  Is it something to watch I would say yes. 

Other than asking the question, "But how can Nicks not show up for the most important training camp of his life in game shape?" Florio does nothing but really post facts in this story.  Frankly that question is a question that anyone is going to ask when they read a coach saying what Pep said about Nicks.  From there Florio points out Nicks numbers have taken a down tick which is true and that he got a one year deal from the Colts.  He then goes on to point out due to the Colts having other players at the WR position reps might be hard to come by.  That's exactly the kind of thing you do want if what is being said about Nicks is true because in theory it should push him to work hard to get on the field.  If he doesn't then I think several people are going to be asking the question Florio asked.

The point is no one shows up in game shape. The only way you get in game shape is by playing.  I also did say nothing in his article is credible based on him leaving out the question.

Don't disagree, but DHB's work ethic was off the charts. It's a shame he couldn't hone his skillset (ie. having a dependable set of hands) because had he been able to put it all together the sky would have been the limit for him.

Of for sure. DHB's work ethic was great, I don't dispute that at all. 

It's just that when you have bricks on the end of your wrists, it doesn't matter if you practice 24/7. 

He's getting it from Tom James who has been at Colts practice. 

Just because what he's saying isn't what we as Colts fans want to hear doesn't mean the guy reporting it is using lazy journalism.  Honestly when I read it other than the sentence where he asks a question it's pretty much just reporting straight facts which is what he's paid to do.  He give you a quote and tells you who it's from and fills it out with a fact Nick's performance taking a deep the past couple of years which he backs up with numbers, tells the contract he signed this year and then at the very end says Nick MIGHT have a hard time getting on the field if the Colts use three WRs sets with Wayne back and Hilton coming into his own.

Honestly I don't see lazy journalism there at all I see a case of Colts fans not liking what they are hearing. 

It's lazy journalism, because it's just a giant game of telephone. Florio has no knowledge of how Nicks has looked in camp, he didn't even talk to anyone who was at camp, he just cherry picked a quote from a twitter feed. If that's top notch sports journalism in your view, then we have very different opinions on journalism. This is the same Mike Florio who reported Terry Bradshaw died in a car accident 5 years ago, because he couldn't be bothered to make a phone call to FOX and verify anything.

I disagree... 

Nicks has been "average" for ....  some time now...

And his "attitude" is ONE reason...  

He has been given a very NICE opportunity....     

We shall ALL see where it takes him.    

My best guess....   lazy, enabled, and.....     

CUT.   Great op here in Indy... 

Yeah. I didn't have high hopes to begin with for him but coming to camp in shape would have been a good start.

I interpret this differently than most. Not saying Nicks has the best work ethic, but let's see what he does on the field first. I'd bet there are many colts players that aren't in game shape. I don't take this as Pep knocking Nicks...More than likely taken out of context.

Regardless, our WR group is improved with him on the roster. He's leaps and bounds ahead of DHB and it's up to him on where his career goes after this season. 

Last year, as a Hakeem Nicks FF owner, I followed a lot of his game play. Untimely drops, never 100% in sync with Eli (yeah, surprising) and at times made a comment or two about him getting the ball more (all WRs that don't see enough targets probably do). It was a contract year last year too with the team he won a SB with and probably would have paid him the most if he showed up. He looked great in training camp reports saying his health is back, yada, yada with the Giants last year. He even looked good in pre-season catching a TD pass vs the Patriots (even Tebow threw a TD), which is why I drafted him:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000236341/Pre-Week-4-Giants-vs-Patriots-highlights

I am hoping this is not the 3rd strike in the Avery-DHB-Nicks 1 yr. lease pattern that Grigson has undertaken.

So many of you have been fans of the Colts and football for a long time and yet you refuse to interpret "coach speak" when it is regarding a player you like.

Florio is correct with his assumption of what Pep is really saying with his coach speak:  When he says he's working himself into game shape he is saying that he is not in shape enough to play a 60 minute.  They have not refereed to Wayne as "working himself into game shape" or Luck or Hilton or even TRich.

For the second part about Nicks talented being well documented and without question... he answered that in his first sentence of the quote, "he knows Nicks is supposed to be good... he just hasn't seen it yet in training camp.

So many of you have been fans of the Colts and football for a long time and yet you refuse to interpret "coach speak" when it is regarding a player you like.

Florio is correct with his assumption of what Pep is really saying with his coach speak:  When he says he's working himself into game shape he is saying that he is not in shape enough to play a 60 minute.  They have not refereed to Wayne as "working himself into game shape" or Luck or Hilton or even TRich.

For the second part about Nicks talented being well documented and without question... he answered that in his first sentence of the quote, "he knows Nicks is supposed to be good... he just hasn't seen it yet in training camp.

Nope. I just refuse to accept Florio's interpretation (and it's not just Florio, other outlets have "reported" this as well). I made a determination of what Pep meant well before the other outlets picked this thing up. I can't find the article on Colts.com where Pep made this comment, but it was in response to a specific question. And he was not being negative or accusatory of Nicks.

This is similar to the "Grigson doesn't like to play rookie linemen" thing. Without proper context, anyone's comments can be misconstrued.

“I don’t know if I can say that I’ve seen enough,”  --- Pep Hamilton

“I think he is still working to get himself in game shape.  His talent is well documented and his ability to be a productive receiver in the league is without a doubt something that we are not questioning, he’s a special talent.” --- Pep Hamilton

That's what Pep said.

The rest is known by many descriptions; innuendo, gobbledygook, bobble head gibberish, unfounded speculation, etc.

I think it's just gobble gobble turkey from jive turkey gobblers

There's more to "game shape" than just physical condition. The more reasonable interpretation to me is that he's new to the Cotls playbook and teammates, so he's getting acclimated to the team, the playbook, and putting into action what he knows is in the playbook.  You don't just get a playbook in the offseason, read through it, watch some film, and know exactly what to do with your teammates.  It takes reps to get it down.  There's a mental aspect to "game shape" just as there is a physical one.

There's more to "game shape" than just physical condition. The more reasonable interpretation to me is that he's new to the Cotls playbook and teammates, so he's getting acclimated to the team, the playbook, and putting into action what he knows is in the playbook.  You don't just get a playbook in the offseason, read through it, watch some film, and know exactly what to do with your teammates.  It takes reps to get it down.  There's a mental aspect to "game shape" just as there is a physical one.

In 12 years of playing and 20+ years of coaching I've never heard game shape refer to any of those things.  But it very well could be.

Nope. I just refuse to accept Florio's interpretation (and it's not just Florio, other outlets have "reported" this as well). I made a determination of what Pep meant well before the other outlets picked this thing up. I can't find the article on Colts.com where Pep made this comment, but it was in response to a specific question. And he was not being negative or accusatory of Nicks.

This is similar to the "Grigson doesn't like to play rookie linemen" thing. Without proper context, anyone's comments can be misconstrued.

I heard it, I think it was on one of the radio streams.  The question was something about Nicks impact on the offense.

I don't think it's negative in the fact that Pep is thinking Nicks won't be a part of the offense, just negative in the fact that based on what he has seen, Nicks will not have a large, immediate impact on the offense but that he think he will eventually get there.

I heard it, I think it was on one of the radio streams.  The question was something about Nicks impact on the offense.

I don't think it's negative in the fact that Pep is thinking Nicks won't be a part of the offense, just negative in the fact that based on what he has seen, Nicks will not have a large, immediate impact on the offense but that he think he will eventually get there.

That's not how it's being presented by national media and on Twitter. You'd think he's on the chopping block from reading some of this nonsense.

So, IMO, there is way too much being made out of mostly innocuous comments from Pep about Nicks. He didn't say he was out of shape, he didn't say he's having a bad camp, he didn't say he's been unimpressive, he didn't say he's not working hard or has a bad attitude.

That's not how it's being presented by national media and on Twitter. You'd think he's on the chopping block from reading some of this nonsense.

So, IMO, there is way too much being made out of mostly innocuous comments from Pep about Nicks. He didn't say he was out of shape, he didn't say he's having a bad camp, he didn't say he's been unimpressive, he didn't say he's not working hard or has a bad attitude.

That is why I don't really follow things on twitter.

Is it being overblown?  Most definitely.  But it's also a reality check for all of those that had visions of the Colts having 3 WRs over 1000 yards receiving and 10+ TDs.

That is why I don't really follow things on twitter.

Is it being overblown?  Most definitely.  But it's also a reality check for all of those that had visions of the Colts having 3 WRs over 1000 yards receiving and 10+ TDs.

Twitter is good for news and quick information. It's bad for editorializing. And too often (not just on Twitter), the two mix indiscriminately. I think this is a case of that.

I also take (small) exception to the idea that these comments are a reality check to anyone who had high hopes for the 3WR offense. I never really expected us to have three guys over 1,000 yards, so these comments don't change my opinion there. But taking these comments for what I believe they are, I really don't think they say much of anything about Nicks so far in camp. I think Pep was asked a very specific question, and his answer is very general in nature.

About the only thing I take away is that Pep isn't blown away by Nicks so far, but that jives with what we've heard out of camp (which isn't negative, just neutral). When I heard this, my reaction was "meh, we're a week and a half into camp, big deal." This hasn't affected my opinion of Nicks or my expectations about our offense in the slightest. It's just irritated me because it is yet another example of a molehill being made into a mountain. 

In 12 years of playing and 20+ years of coaching I've never heard game shape refer to any of those things.  But it very well could be.

I tend to agree with you on this one. Of course we aren't given all the details behind the comments but in my own personal opinion this sounds like coaches speak for "We expect a lot from the player but he needs to step up and prove it on the field." Seems a little media pressure on a player that is in a contract year to step up his performance. This team has a lot of talented playmakers on it...and most know the offense much better than him. So if he wants to be on the field he needs to be in shape and performing at a high level. No coasting. I think his talent will allow him to find the field a great deal...but if we run a lot of 2 TE sets and we have Wayne and Hilton playing...Nicks has a lot to do to get on the field imo.

Twitter is good for news and quick information. It's bad for editorializing. And too often (not just on Twitter), the two mix indiscriminately. I think this is a case of that.

I also take (small) exception to the idea that these comments are a reality check to anyone who had high hopes for the 3WR offense. I never really expected us to have three guys over 1,000 yards, so these comments don't change my opinion there. But taking these comments for what I believe they are, I really don't think they say much of anything about Nicks so far in camp. I think Pep was asked a very specific question, and his answer is very general in nature.

About the only thing I take away is that Pep isn't blown away by Nicks so far, but that jives with what we've heard out of camp (which isn't negative, just neutral). When I heard this, my reaction was "meh, we're a week and a half into camp, big deal." This hasn't affected my opinion of Nicks or my expectations about our offense in the slightest. It's just irritated me because it is yet another example of a molehill being made into a mountain. 

I agree it's being made into more than it is, IMO.  And my opinion of Nicks hasn't changed either.  You have to figure there is a reason why a former 1st round draft pick is willing to sign a one year deal, even though it's a pretty good one year deal, still there was some red flag and I just figured (looking at his career stats) that he lacks the desire to work on his game and improve it. 

I agree it's being made into more than it is, IMO.  And my opinion of Nicks hasn't changed either.  You have to figure there is a reason why a former 1st round draft pick is willing to sign a one year deal, even though it's a pretty good one year deal, still there was some red flag and I just figured (looking at his career stats) that he lacks the desire to work on his game and improve it. 

Yeah, when I saw Nicks deal, I was surprised by the structure of it. I thought he'd command more than that. A year ago, he was hoping for a multi-year deal in the $10-12m/year range. He obviously wasn't going to get anything like that, but I figured he could get at least $5m. He got basically the same money Jeremy Maclin got, and Maclin is coming off of a very serious injury and doesn't have quite the resume Nicks has.

I'm not sure it's an indication of his work ethic, but I'm definitely not projecting Nicks to play like a #1 receiver and earn a fat multi-year deal from us. That would be awesome, but it's more likely that he puts up the modest but very valuable kind of #2 numbers that we were hoping for from Avery and DHB the past two years. And maybe he has the potential to do more, in case Reggie's recovery stalls in any way (knock on wood). 

If the past is any indication, players in his situation, facing a softer market due to past injury or questionable performance, are more likely to take a one year "prove it" deal, and hope to cash in the next season. It's what Jeremy Maclin is doing (he reportedly turned down a multi-year deal from the Eagles, hoping to increase his value this season). It's what Brent Grimes and a few others did last year. We'll see how it goes for Nicks. 

Yeah, when I saw Nicks deal, I was surprised by the structure of it. I thought he'd command more than that. A year ago, he was hoping for a multi-year deal in the $10-12m/year range. He obviously wasn't going to get anything like that, but I figured he could get at least $5m. He got basically the same money Jeremy Maclin got, and Maclin is coming off of a very serious injury and doesn't have quite the resume Nicks has.

I'm not sure it's an indication of his work ethic, but I'm definitely not projecting Nicks to play like a #1 receiver and earn a fat multi-year deal from us. That would be awesome, but it's more likely that he puts up the modest but very valuable kind of #2 numbers that we were hoping for from Avery and DHB the past two years. And maybe he has the potential to do more, in case Reggie's recovery stalls in any way (knock on wood). 

If the past is any indication, players in his situation, facing a softer market due to past injury or questionable performance, are more likely to take a one year "prove it" deal, and hope to cash in the next season. It's what Jeremy Maclin is doing (he reportedly turned down a multi-year deal from the Eagles, hoping to increase his value this season). It's what Brent Grimes and a few others did last year. We'll see how it goes for Nicks. 

I agree with you...the only issue I saw was that Nicks has a LOT more chemistry with Manning and the Giants and they didn't appear to make much of a move to bring him back. Re-signing Cruz to a huge contract and spending a lot of money in free agency (albeit in other areas). It makes me wonder why they weren't seeking to bring him back on such a deal. I also know he has had a lot of little nagging injuries but that makes me wonder if he isn't putting in the necessary preparation to get his body right to deal with the rugged NFL season....or it could just be that he has been unlucky. Whatever the case I see him like you do as an upgrade to our receiving core that should help us platoon our receivers hopefully giving Wayne time to recover....Moncreif time to learn and keeping double teams off TY. We shall see.

I wonder how many people really go to camp in game shape.  I've heard many times that you can't get into game shape before playing a game.  You can train all you want, but it's different, so you won't be in game shape.  He may not have the best endurance right now, but that's one of the points of camp.  Get the guys familiar with the playbook, get their bodies used to all the work they'll have to do, get them into the routine of meetings and lifting, etc.  Not a big deal, in my opinion

My last year of football, I ran all spring and summer and worked the weight room until I couldn't walk.  I would then ride my bike to and from school. (12 miles+) I ran the gym stairs some of those days when you HAD to something later..like play baseball.  I was in the best shape of my life.

I get to football practice feeling great.  I go at it as hard as I can.  I feel good all the way through.  I wake up the next morning, I felt like my thy's had fallen off or were going to...my butt hurt...you name the muscle and I hurt.  I told myself:  "I am never gonna kill myself getting reday for football if I feel like THIS on the first day"

I do not think a single player can tell you they are in game shape the first day.  Adam Vinateri was awful the first day of camp, and now he is doing smooth 60 yarders.  Just one example of probably every player on the roster.  :)

I honestly don't have a problem with a veteran saving his body for the rigors of a long

NFL season as long as he knows the playbook.

I'm not worried at all about Nicks. At this point, it's up to him to perform. We have Luck, Allen, Fleener, Wayne, T.Y. and Moncrief (waiting in the wings). That is ruling out all RBs/FB who, other than Bradshaw, I have little faith in. If the Oline is adequate (BIG if) we'll be fine offensively. Honestly, I'd like to see Moncrief as #3. But if Nicks can perform, it allows Dante time to learn as a rookie. If Nicks sucks, put in Dante. He'll produce. And if Nicks was sand-bagging in NY...he better wake up quick. Another bad year and he'll probably be out of the league.

I'm not worried at all about Nicks. At this point, it's up to him to perform. We have Luck, Allen, Fleener, Wayne, T.Y. and Moncrief (waiting in the wings). That is ruling out all RBs/FB who, other than Bradshaw, I have little faith in. If the Oline is adequate (BIG if) we'll be fine offensively. Honestly, I'd like to see Moncrief as #3. But if Nicks can perform, it allows Dante time to learn as a rookie. If Nicks sucks, put in Dante. He'll produce. And if Nicks was sand-bagging in NY...he better wake up quick. Another bad year and he'll probably be out of the league.

I think if a team is willing to sign DHB after last year that Nicks will be on an NFL roster next year. Hopefully ours!

Comments from Kevin Bowen about this whole Hakeem Nicks thing:

Shawn Stuffel, Lafayette, IN: I have seen articles about pep Hamilton not happy with Hakeem Nick's conditioning and performance thus far through camp. was wondering your thoughts about this and if there’s a reason for it. does he not feel comfortable with the playbook, is he injured or his way of preventing injurying, or even no motivation???

Bowen: Personally I thought the quote was taken a bit out of context and now has turned into a bigger story than it really is. It seemed to me that Hamilton said he hadn’t had enough time to make a firm evaluation yet on Nicks. On several occasions, Nicks has openly admitted that it’s a work in process of him trying to get on the same page with Andrew Luckicon-article-link.gif. That’s the most important goal for Nicks this camp and he’s been a consistent presence during practice. Sure,T.Y. Hiltonicon-article-link.gif and Reggie Wayne are clearly on a different level right now in terms of comfort with Luck, but Nicks has proven throughout his career that he shows up on some of the largest of stages.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-mailbag/Colts-Mailbag-How-Is-Hakeem-Nicks-Progressing/c6e8629e-c189-41d4-bba8-feb2b698aab6

I hadn't even considered that angle. Pep might have simply been saying that he didn't know enough about Nicks, that it's too early to really form an opinion of him. 

And on the opposite end of the spectrum: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2152493-the-biggest-nfl-training-camp-disappointments-so-far/page/2

Reports from Colts training camp this week, however, indicate Indianapolis might have some concerns about the return they will get on that investment.

Regardless of why Nicks is performing below par, he could continue to slide down the depth chart if he doesn’t start meeting expectations.

It's amazing how I can both love and hate the Internet at the same time...

Hakeem Nicks to me on questions on his conditioning level: "I'm in the best shape I've ever been in...I came in weighing 209 when I was supposed to come in weighing 212. After Pep came to me to clarify, he said that he (meant) everybody's getting into game shape right now--it's the beginning of camp. He came apologizing to let me know he wasn't just singling me out."

Nicks added, "I think that I have been performing well. They tell me the same thing. We're grown men. They would tell me if I was lacking. "Like coach Pep told me, he said 'if I felt like you were lacking in any area I would come straight to you.' You know, Pep and I have history from Charlotte."

Hakeem nicks to me on his goal for this season: "My mentality is I'm shooting to be the best in the league at my position this year. I'm not trying to make headlines. I do stand on that, but I know it's going to take teamwork. Once you put the team first, everything else falls into place."

First, let's analyze why this comment was made. Coach did not call a presser, so this was asked information that was likely "reluctantly" given because reporters are more highly recognized when they uncover controversial material than when they just get safe facts. Bill B from the Pats gets roasted for saying essentially nothing to reporters, but it is reporters like this, and interpretations like this, and fans that perpetuate this rumor like this very thread, that perpetuate his silence. For the record, I despise the man, but I don't blame his approach to this in the least.

The average fan wants controversy.