Donald Thomas Goes Down Today

kansascolt

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is for you also Jvan1973

Well I'm trying to imply that if we did trade our first rounder for something we actually need ( a dependable solid lineman) that people would flip s*** over it becuase of what has happened with Richardson so far.

The basic fans wouldn't be happy with it what so ever.

I'm not a very good comedian. I get nervous on forums! ;)

gotcha

On  a more positive note the Colts are very used to having one of the worst O-line's in the league so it's not like this is something new the team has to worry about.  I suppose a more serious question is if this is fair to Andrew Luck.  I certainly wouldn't blame Luck if he sought another team in two years. This one certainly cannot provide the protection that a QB of his abilities deserves. It just keeps taking chances with one of the best young quarterbacks in the game.

On  a more positive note the Colts are very used to having one of the worst O-line's in the league so it's not like this is something new the team has to worry about.  I suppose a more serious question is if this is fair to Andrew Luck.  I certainly wouldn't blame Luck if he sought another team in two years. This one certainly cannot provide the protection that a QB of his abilities deserves. It just keeps taking chances with one of the best young quarterbacks in the game.

Do you really think Luck has any intention of leaving Indianapolis?

Do you really think Luck has any intention of leaving Indianapolis?

I honestly don't know, I do know it's not right for a franchise to gamble with one of the best young stars in football by putting him behind a horrible offensive line three years in a row and that is exactly what the Colts are doing.  I hope that he doesn't get injured but this team is gambling with his future.

Day three of training camp and two guys on the 53 man roster are gone already.

If that is luck then it better change quickly or we will have water boys and

equipment managers on the roster by week 8.

All teams have injuries. Google it

Day three of training camp and two guys on the 53 man roster are gone already.

If that is luck then it better change quickly or we will have water boys and

equipment managers on the roster by week 8.

Two guys that are coming off major injury. The odds were against them from the get go.

through multiple staffs? No, it's bad luck

Multiple/new training staffs doesn't mean they are using the most progressive training methods rather than the same old "proven" football training methods.  I am not saying luck does not play a factor and I think DT was a risk from the get go, but consistently being a team that is among the teams that lead the league in injuries makes me at least wonder.  At a certain point "bad luck" is no longer a legitimate explanation.

Multiple/new training staffs doesn't mean they are using the most progressive training methods rather than the same old "proven" football training methods. I am not saying luck does not play a factor and I think DT was a risk from the get go, but consistently being a team that is among the teams that lead the league in injuries makes me at least wonder. At a certain point "bad luck" is no longer a legitimate explanation.

A multi billion dollar league is using the most effective training methods available I'm sure It's not like Nick Riviera is running our medical and training staff

ESPN reports he is expected to undergo an MRI tonight could be tomorrow I think the injury is confirmed they are looking to see how bad it is. If it was going to happen now is the time. We need to get the 5 guys starting as much time together as possible.

All 3 of Grigs picks will most likely be our starting interior O Line let's hope he got it right and this is the first of many years together.

Our 3 interior O Lineman would have 1 year and 12 snaps combined of NFL experience. Has anyone ever started a year that young and inexperienced?

If memory serves me correct, that would have been the 1989 Dallas Cowboys. They went on to do great things. That said it was an ugly first year for Aikman.

I honestly don't know, I do know it's not right for a franchise to gamble with one of the best young stars in football by putting him behind a horrible offensive line three years in a row and that is exactly what the Colts are doing.  I hope that he doesn't get injured but this team is gambling with his future.

He'd be well within his right to consider leaving if the protection remains as bad as it's been the last 2 seasons. Not only does it risk his health but it hinders his performance, and it does so by a wider margin than many seem to think. That said, if we can stay healthy with the 5 guys we got we might be able to have an average O-line (as long as Holmes and Mewhort are not busts, and Thornton makes the expected progress from year 1 to 2). From left to right: Castonzo, Mewhort, Holmes, Thornton, Cherilus. Should be better than last year if we can keep them healthy. We still have Reitz and Louis for depth.

Certainly Luck is being given a much weaker O-line than all the other QBs of teams who made it to the divisional round (except Carolina, our O-line situation is better than theirs) and our defense is not among the scariest in the NFL (although I think Arthur Jones will be a difference maker) but he's got several pretty good young WR/TEs to work with in Indy and we'll be able to offer him a nice pay check.

A multi billion dollar league is using the most effective training methods available I'm sure It's not like  is running our medical and training staff

I doubt every team in the NFL is using the exact same training techniques. I am sure there are training staffs who have much more progressive ideas and philosophies and are much more willing try new "unproven" things; while many other staffs stick more to the "tried and true" training methods and don't add new regimens until they are 100% proven.

This is true of physicians practicing in any field of medicine; some are trailblazers who like the use the newest techniques, instruments, and procedures, while others prefer the to stick with things that have had 100's of studies and are proven ... I am sure sports physicians/trainers are not any different.

Consistently one of the most injured teams year in and year out is a trend and a

bit more than bad luck.

Couldn't it have something to do with the organization gambling on players with significant injury histories? We should know the risk when signing guys like Thomas, Toler, Bradshaw, Nicks, Landry etc...

Btw, I didn't mean this to be a shot at Grigs in anyway. It doesn't bother me if he wants to take a gamble on guys like them, as long as we have quality depth behind them in the event that an injury does occur (Which I believe we do). Losing Thomas definitely hurts, but it's not a huge surprise to me, and I don't think it is a huge surprise to our staff.

My point is that when you have a lot of guys on your roster with long injury histories you pretty much have to expect some of them to go down (and plan for it accordingly).

A bit of a defeatist attitude, don't you think?  The Colts have put significant resources into the OL in the last two drafts -  a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 4th in the last two years, all on the interior.  The OTs are pretty decent.  To me, it's way early to call them one of the worst OLs.  I think they could be a bit above average if there are no more season-ending injuries in the near future...

I don't know if you can blame the training staff for injuries.  But when a player who was reported to be progressing slowly enough to question whether or not he would be ready for TC, injures the exact same quad during TC, you can make a pretty strong assumption that the staff overlooked something.

And I believe that Mewhort's durability in college was very good.  Something that was probably noticed by Grigs and valued since he knew Thomas was struggling to recover.

A bit of a defeatist attitude, don't you think?  The Colts have put significant resources into the OL in the last two drafts -  a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 4th in the last two years, all on the interior.  The OTs are pretty decent.  To me, it's way early to call them one of the worst OLs.  I think they could be a bit above average if there are no more season-ending injuries in the near future...

I agree don't think anyone really expected Thomas to be back at a 100% those were serious injuries. It all still hinges on the same thing to me can Holmes be effective at C?

We have Mewhort Louis Reitz, Nixon, Harrison, Walker all kinds of guys who can play LG.

If Thomas doesn't pull a superman in time for the season. I just want to see the 3 best players out there if it is the young guys then go with the young guys. No more McGylnn and Satale play the best players

I agree don't think anyone really expected Thomas to be back at a 100% those were serious injuries. It all still hinges on the same thing to me can Holmes be effective at C?

We have Mewhort Louis Reitz, Nixon, Harrison, Walker all kinds of guys who can play LG.

If Thomas doesn't pull a superman in time for the season. I just want to see the 3 best players out there if it is the young guys then go with the young guys. No more McGylnn and Satale play the best players

In all honesty I have a feeling that is why Mewhort is a Colt.

Holmes has been named the starter at C he has 12 snaps

Thorton is the starter at RG he has a year

Reports are that Mewhort is moving into take DT's spot at LG he has zero experience.

That would equal one year and 12 snaps of NFL experience. I am not saying it is bad it could work out well. The most important thing is continuity getting time together.

Who do you think our starting interior o lineman will be? Maybe Louis wins a spot. I hope he wins it because he is the best player not because he has experience. If the 3 young guys are our best O Lineman than roll with the young guns. We already sat through a year of McGlynn and Satale I will pass on experience. Play the best players.

I missed the 1 year.

I suppose a more serious question is if this is fair to Andrew Luck.  I certainly wouldn't blame Luck if he sought another team in two years. This one certainly cannot provide the protection that a QB of his abilities deserves. 

What? That may be one of the oddest statements I have ever read on here.

PowerO on Stampede Blue has a good posting on a possible explanation for the Colts injury woes.   http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/7/23/5931297/the-new-school-of-thought-on-injury-prevention

Whether it is the conditioning program or the turf or the players we select, I beliieve there is an explanation why the Colts consistently have the most injuries in the league.

I was never one of the people who suggested we've been overcautious during camp, so don't lump me in with that group. Also, Grigson was very guarded about answering questions about Thomas' progress just a few months ago. The vibe of it was not very encouraging. Even you are on record as saying as much about Grigson's comments regarding him.

It was obvious he was at a higher risk of getting re-injured yet they rushed him back anyways. This is why I said we should've signed a quality veteran along the interior line during free agency, because it was more than plausible to expect this to happen -- and now it did. But I'm sure you and others will be right there with more excuses when this line struggles for a 3rd straight year because our GM wants to be cute and try to make lemons into lemonade, or heavily rely on young unproven talent

Who is saying that they rushed him back? How can you make that determination from your keyboard, when the team doctors cleared him? And how does that fit with the overwhelmingly cautious approach the team has been taking with injured players? 

As for Grigson's comments about Donald Thomas, none of that means that he wasn't medically ready. (Matter of fact, I'm not really sure it was Grigson's comments that made me feel that he wouldn't be ready. I think it was more Grigson's silence. I emailed Bowen and he responded with a generic "we'll see how Thomas looks at camp" kind of comment, and that's when I decided that it was unlikely that he'd be ready for camp. By the way, I am entirely unqualified to make that determination. As is everyone else here.)

By the way, I have yet to see anyone say exactly what happened to Thomas. Was there contact? Did he twist his leg? Did someone roll up on it, or step on his foot? All I've seen is that he went down, screamed, and eventually got taken in. 

Also, once again, this argument about whether we should have signed another lineman is so tired that I yawn just reading this post. You've said the same thing for four months now, and I've responded the exact same way for four months. First, it's way premature to determine that our offensive line won't be effective, even with Thomas' injury. Second, we have other linemen.

What I disagree with, and what you are endorsing, is this idea that it's someone's fault that Thomas is hurt again. "We rushed him back." "Our strength and conditioning staff needs to be fired." "The turf is too hard." Put down the pitchforks; players get hurt in this game. It doesn't have to be anyone's fault. (Of course, I'm spitting on a wildfire. People need someone to blame. It's too bad.)

Maybe we need to start letting players use HGH again... Just sayin... LOL.

Actually, I would say the Colts should look at a Chip Kelly style of conditioning program.  The Eagles were one of the least injured teams last season and it seems that the old methods of strength and conditioning (hours in the weight room) are coming up short. 

http://www.stampedeb...jury-prevention

That article shows that the Colts strength coach is a former olympic power lifter... you would have to believe his philiosophy is somewhat in line with that of an olympic power lifter... not necessarily the best for a football player... Even the Army is changing its Physical Training program to emphasize more resiliency type training... Maybe there is something to it...

But it is funny to listen to everyone call for the head of SOMEONE in regards to injury... reminds me of the old Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail skit where they are trying to burn the witch....

But it is funny to listen to everyone call for the head of SOMEONE in regards to injury... reminds me of the old Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail skit where they are trying to burn the witch....

Fetch me my scales and a duck...

The uninformed witch hunting and smug I told you so on display in this thread is amazing.