Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Thomas Goes Down Today

kansascolt

Not sure why we haven't got a new training staff yet, ours is deplorable. Need to fire these people and get a whole new staff. No one gets more injuries than us.

a training staff can't prevent injuries. geez

Not really

do you understand what the training staff does?

That job description doesn't exist. 

Jared is not necessarily incorrect. Part of a training staff's purpose is too insure players are working out properly in order to prevent injuries. And many of the decisions a training staff team will make, take into consideration the risk of possible injury. However, I'm not sure how much input they have on Training Camp drills and their participation. But between the Training Staff and the Medical Staff, someone tells the GM & position coaches which players are at what percentages - and sanity would say that information should translate into deciding which drills can be performed. With all of that said, the coaches may have made a decision to put DT out there and see how he held up. If so, they got their answer.

And this from Mike Wells: "...a team source confirmed Thomas re-injured his right quadriceps — which was torn last season and cost him the final 14 games — and was scheduled to undergo an MRI Wednesday night."

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"and was scheduled to undergo an MRI Wednesday night."

An MRI to confirm what the injury is? Or an MRI already set up prior to him getting injured again? Im assuming an MRI to confirm the injury...Which would make the most sense but it legitimately could have been just an MRI to see how the Quad has progressed

Who of note "reported" that he was not yet ready?

I thought there was a report or article of staff (posted on the website here)saying he was coming along slow and may not be ready come the regular season opener or preseason

ESPN reports he is expected to undergo an MRI tonight could be tomorrow I think the injury is confirmed they are looking to see how bad it is. If it was going to happen now is the time. We need to get the 5 guys starting as much time together as possible.

All 3 of Grigs picks will most likely be our starting interior O Line let's hope he got it right and this is the first of many years together.

Our 3 interior O Lineman would have 1 year and 12 snaps combined of NFL experience. Has anyone ever started a year that young and inexperienced?

Thomas was our primary back up C as well. Harrison probably just got a good boost at the 53 man roster. I didn't really expect Thomas back either. Looks like the future might be now Mewhort-Holmes-Thorton. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/133354/donald-thomas-to-have-mri-on-quad

3 with almost zero experience, shades of or worse than last year. we need some proven free agents, if there are any left, hard to start rookies on the 0-line to blow holes and protect the franchise qb. we need help. grigs work some magic

ESPN reports he is expected to undergo an MRI tonight could be tomorrow I think the injury is confirmed they are looking to see how bad it is. If it was going to happen now is the time. We need to get the 5 guys starting as much time together as possible.

All 3 of Grigs picks will most likely be our starting interior O Line let's hope he got it right and this is the first of many years together.

Our 3 interior O Lineman would have 1 year and 12 snaps combined of NFL experience. Has anyone ever started a year that young and inexperienced?

I know the Dolphins have a whole new O-Line this year. Brandon Albert has experience, but the other 4 may be rookies, can't remember. They are at least very similar to us with Pouncey gone.

Not a ton of experienced depth either

Jared is not necessarily incorrect. Part of a training staff's purpose is too insure players are working out properly in order to prevent injuries. And many of the decisions a training staff team will make, take into consideration the risk of possible injury. However, I'm not sure how much input they have on Training Camp drills and their participation. But between the Training Staff and the Medical Staff, someone tells the GM & position coaches which players are at what percentages - and sanity would say that information should translate into deciding which drills can be performed. With all of that said, the coaches may have made a decision to put DT out there and see how he held up. If so, they got their answer.

And this from Mike Wells: "...a team source confirmed Thomas re-injured his right quadriceps — which was torn last season and cost him the final 14 games — and was scheduled to undergo an MRI Wednesday night."

pilates, builds core strength and long flexible muscles that don't tear as easily as short bulked up muscles

This is a tough situation because of hard it is for someone on the O-Line to make a big impact their rookie year. Signing a free agent that was just drafted and cut may not work so well and also there isn't a lot left in free agency as far as veteran players. This injury makes me angry because it puts us between a rock and a hard place. Someone like Lance Louis should make the team now, but I don't know how much I neccessarilly trust him.

Until someone produces the voodoo doll collection, I don't know what else makes any sense.

I don't think you can say with any degree of certainty that the staff is getting bad info. Injuries progress. It's laughable that all us message board doctors could be better informed about Donald Thomas' status than the coaching and training staff. Just because we didn't think he'd be ready doesn't mean the team made a mistake in clearing him. That's very, very specious, at best.

And again, it's a no-win for the staff. People have been complaining for a week about the seeming over-abundance of caution with Richardson, Davis and Landry. Then when Thomas gets hurt again, it's about how we rushed him back.

I was never one of the people who suggested we've been overcautious during camp, so don't lump me in with that group. Also, Grigson was very guarded about answering questions about Thomas' progress just a few months ago. The vibe of it was not very encouraging. Even you are on record as saying as much about Grigson's comments regarding him.

It was obvious he was at a higher risk of getting re-injured yet they rushed him back anyways. This is why I said we should've signed a quality veteran along the interior line during free agency, because it was more than plausible to expect this to happen -- and now it did. But I'm sure you and others will be right there with more excuses when this line struggles for a 3rd straight year because our GM wants to be cute and try to make lemons into lemonade, or heavily rely on young unproven talent

hard to play rookies and new draft picks on an o-line. help

3 with almost zero experience, shades of or worse than last year. we need some proven free agents, if there are any left, hard to start rookies on the 0-line to blow holes and protect the franchise qb. we need help. grigs work some magic

You're being an alarmist.  Mewhort-Holmes-Thornton should be MUCH better than last year.  McGlynn and Satele could possibly have been the worst at their respective positions in the NFL last year, and Thornton playing out of position as a rookie without a TC wasn't much better.  Night and day.  And I would go as far as saying that Louis is probably significantly better than either of our OGs last year.  Any team can suffer with enough injuries to one area, but I think one injury of unspecified severity is not a reason to panic.

seems like their qb will take a lot of hits also

Yes i agree. I was reading a dolphins forum after Pouncey got hurt because their O-Line was going to be similar to ours in that respect after Pouncey was gone and with the inexperience. Wanted to see if they were worried. They seemed pretty worried about their O-Line. I'm thinking our interior line will be better than theirs and Constanzo=Albert basically. We should be better than someone like them. I think we need at least 2 of Mewhort, Holmes and Thorton to hit this year. Grigs picked these guys and his neck is now on the line whether he realizes it or not. We'll see how well he drafted, I just wish Mewhort had a little bit of experience under his belt before being thrown to the wolves.

Yes i agree. I was reading a dolphins forum after Pouncey got hurt because their O-Line was going to be similar to ours in that respect after Pouncey was gone and with the inexperience. Wanted to see if they were worried. They seemed pretty worried about their O-Line. I'm thinking our interior line will be better than theirs and Constanzo=Albert basically. We should be better than someone like them. I think we need at least 2 of Mewhort, Holmes and Thorton to hit this year. Grigs picked these guys and his neck is now on the line whether he realizes it or not. We'll see how well he drafted, I just wish Mewhort had a little bit of experience under his belt before being thrown to the wolves.

:lol: Dolphins fans were worried about Pouncey being gone? Their line was trash when he was there!

Tannehill should be used to being hit now

Not sure who you think is starting, but that's not true.

examples bob sanders and landry, bulked up short muscles. hurt year after year, with soft tissue damage, look at injury free players as a rule no bulked up muscles, no soft tissue injurys,

Devin Hester isn't bulked up, he had injury problems

Jamaal Charles isn't bulked, had injury problems

Peyton Manning isn't bulked, injured a whole season and then some

Tom Brady isn't bulked, injury season ending

Percy Harbin isn't bulked, constantly injured

Sidney Rice not bulked, just retired due to excessive injuries

Stop me when I've made my point and proved yours invalid

Devin Hester isn't bulked up, he had injury problems

Jamaal Charles isn't bulked, had injury problems

Peyton Manning isn't bulked, injured a whole season and then some

Tom Brady isn't bulked, injury season ending

Percy Harbin isn't bulked, constantly injured

Sidney Rice not bulked, just retired due to excessive injuries

Stop me when I've made my point and proved yours invalid

these were not soft tissue

Not sure who you think is starting, but that's not true.

Holmes has been named the starter at C he has 12 snaps

Thorton is the starter at RG he has a year

Reports are that Mewhort is moving into take DT's spot at LG he has zero experience.

That would equal one year and 12 snaps of NFL experience. I am not saying it is bad it could work out well. The most important thing is continuity getting time together.

Who do you think our starting interior o lineman will be? Maybe Louis wins a spot. I hope he wins it because he is the best player not because he has experience. If the 3 young guys are our best O Lineman than roll with the young guns. We already sat through a year of McGlynn and Satale I will pass on experience. Play the best players.

I don't get it, we have our first pick... :scratch:

This is for you also Jvan1973

Well I'm trying to imply that if we did trade our first rounder for something we actually need ( a dependable solid lineman) that people would flip s*** over it becuase of what has happened with Richardson so far.

The basic fans wouldn't be happy with it what so ever.

I'm not a very good comedian. I get nervous on forums! ;)