Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Chappell's final 53!

BrentMc11

Saw Ryan Lankford in one of the pictures.  I didn't even realize we signed him.  He was one of the guys I liked as a 7th/UDFA, so I'm kinda glad to see we picked him up.  Not to encouraging that he got cut by the Dolphins though. 

True, but I have seen them make a few head scratching decisions...both in cutting and additions.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you know? Another article that explains a situation where Mewhort plays center. :)

Who would have guessed this was possible. Oh yeah. Me! :)

That Mewhort is one of the 2 players who would be considered to slide over to play center does speak to his projected versatility, but it does not speak to whatever point you are trying to conclusively support.

Mewhort among the options to play center in crisis is common knowledge.

What do you know? Another article that explains a situation where Mewhort plays center. :)

Who would have guessed this was possible. Oh yeah. Me! :)

I am not sure it is a situation that we want. I think most knew he could and has played C but ideally he is not our C this year or that will more than likely mean our O Line is in shambles AGAIN.

I am not sure it is a situation that we want. I think most knew he could and has played C but ideally he is not our C this year or that will more than likely mean our O Line is in shambles AGAIN.

I disagree that most people here thought he could play center. In fact most said no way, because he was too tall.

Good thing the staff will do what is best.

That Mewhort is one of the 2 players who would be considered to slide over to play center does speak to his projected versatility, but it does not speak to whatever point you are trying to conclusively support.

Mewhort among the options to play center in crisis is common knowledge.

Why would it be a crisis?

We have worked him at center since day one, so evidently the possibility has always been there for Mewhort to play center. 

Only player on his 53 that I don't think makes the team is Harvey(And I like his ability to get penetration, He just has not shown the ability to cover worth a crap) and I expect Havili to make the team

They want him on special teams, and Havili has had nagging injuries.  Harvey was never hurt before last season, but he did hurt some people on special teams.

Chappell did not even list him as an LB.

Chappell also said he would not be surprised if Havilli beat him out.

Only player on his 53 that I don't think makes the team is Harvey(And I like his ability to get penetration, He just has not shown the ability to cover worth a crap) and I expect Havili to make the team

He doesn't need to cover or penetrate - he's a fullback now. Just needs to block and play special teams. He has shown he can do one half, Havili can kind of do the other plus catch. It'll be an interesting battle.

Cameron White is also hypothetically battling for that position, but he is a regional combine player and has PS eligibility, which is like where he'll end up at best (unless he shows great things).

I disagree that most people here thought he could play center. In fact most said no way, because he was too tall.

I know he can play center if needed, but since it his '3rd' position on the line I feel it will be just as an emergency.

Harrison makes the practice squad...for extreme emergency.  Mewhort will do whatever Joe Gilbert and Coach Pagano needs.

haha sounds amazing! Unfortunately, she's a Pack fan and that means we would be traveling to Wisconsin right afterward. We always keep it balanced, which is why we drove straight from the Colts Chiefs playoff game that night to Green Bay for the Packers 49'ers playoff ice bowl haha. If that's what this marriage give and take is all about though, I think I can live with it lol!!!

WOW....that would have been a great doubleheader of fun!!!!  My wife is awesome at give and take too....so lucky.

Why would it be a crisis?

We have worked him at center since day one, so evidently the possibility has always been there for Mewhort to play center. 

That's a misleading statement in bold.  Mewhort has worked at LG since day 1.  He is not being "worked" at center. Conjecture from a beat writer and Filler quotes from Pagano/Grigson that Mewhort has gotten some snaps at center are not the same thing. 

Let's be transparent.  You are invested in a position around here that would be enhanced by evidence that Mewhort was drafted to play center - thus you cite Chappel's quote.  It is my opinion, which may not reflect the views of this station, that there is no new evidence to support your position.  

Mewhort playing center would be a crisis for reasons that already understood well - just as it is anytime a front-line player who has received all the first team reps goes down.  

Even if Mewhort were to some day be our starting center and our center of the future, you'd still be wrong today, based on the facts that are available today.

I knew he could they had him take reps at Ohio State just in case of an emergency while he was there. He never actually played C other than practice at OSU but he can definitely can play the position.

If he is better than Holmes he should be our C. I was basing our line would be in shambles again on the fact that all the talk all off season was how Holmes was the starting C. I was assuming injury. I am all for training camp battles.  I was guessing Mewhort may start at G. I really don't think Thomas is going to be back at 100% but what do I know.

My hope is that somehow someway get an O Line that can actually block. Right now there are certainly more questions than answers it would seem. I think it will help that Luck has more say in what happens at the line of scrimmage. It looked for a while like Pep would run on 1st and 2nd down vs a 4 foot brick wall last year 

He doesn't need to cover or penetrate - he's a fullback now. Just needs to block and play special teams. He has shown he can do one half, Havili can kind of do the other plus catch. It'll be an interesting battle.

Cameron White is also hypothetically battling for that position, but he is a regional combine player and has PS eligibility, which is like where he'll end up at best (unless he shows great things).

I am not sold on the fact that Havili can catch. Let them battle it out my money is on Mario. Havili wasn't that impressive last year and he gave up the int vs the Pats. He graded out as the 5th worse lead blocker in the league. It would seem it would not take much to improve on that.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6742/stanley-havili  

They want him on special teams, and Havili has had nagging injuries.  Harvey was never hurt before last season, but he did hurt some people on special teams.

Chappell did not even list him as an LB.

Chappell also said he would not be surprised if Havilli beat him out.

Forget Jack Doyle.

Erik Swoope better take his job.

I am not sold on the fact that Havili can catch. Let them battle it out my money is on Mario. Havili wasn't that impressive last year and he gave up the int vs the Pats. He graded out as the 5th worse lead blocker in the league. It would seem it would not take much to improve on that.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6742/stanley-havili  

I think Harvey has a great shot to make it over Havili -- I think he can be a better blocker, he is by far a better ST'er, can provide emergency LB depth if needed, and apparently he can catch (scroll ~1/2 way through this article): http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/6/11/5801496/colts-ota-notes-t-y-hilton-gives-colts-a-scare

For those saying to dump Doyle and bring on Swoope -- let's not forget Swope has never played a down of competitive football in his life -- and not to be offensive, but he was not a very accomplished college b-ball player (his senior year he averaged 18.1 minutes per game, 2.7 rebounds per game, and 5 points per game -- hardly outstanding numbers for a forward). From some interviews, it sounds like Pagano thinks he is athletic and has a high ceiling, but from Swoope's interview post-signing he said his goal this year is to make the practice squad and learn the game more.  He needs to bulk up (~40 lbs) and learn the game of football (not too unlike Adongo last year).  At this point, I think Swoope is a lock for the P.S. but a very long shot to make our 53.

Anyway, I know Pep likes that Spider Y Banana and to have a good receiving FB -- which, I don't think Havili is.  I think we are better off if we keep Harvey to be a blocker and ST'er and then use Doyle or Saunders at FB on occasion as they can both block and catch.  By replacing Havili with Harvey, it gives us more flexibility at another position on our roster since Harvey can be a special team's beast whereas Havili cannot.

Great read. There are several areas I will be watching closely.

1.) Chapman and Hughes clogging the middle. Personally, I don't see them using Jones primarily in the middle. I could see it in pass rush situations; however, I would prefer to see him man the end/ tackle spot opposite Redding. Still though, I hope that Chap and Montori look like monsters in there. I would love to see a front 3 of Redding, Chap, and Jones, with Hughes and RJF getting significant minutes in the rotation.

2.) All of our linebackers haha. Im curious to see if Newsome plays the joker role or what. It seems he lined up a bit at DE in addition to OLB. I would like to see some flashes with him, as he is an intriguing prospect. Werner sounds like he is impressing players and coaches with his progress. He was a stud at FSU, and he sounds like he has been the consummate professional. From all accounts, his approach is all business in the complex. RM just needs to keep sippin from that fountain of youth!

3.) The secondary. I think Vontae can make even more strides in his development. I an a firm believer that we really haven't seen his ceiling yet. I hope Toler stays healthy, but I'm curious to see what Qua Cox can do. He sounds like a total gamer. Maybe we could develop our own little honey-badger, only without the devastating injury. At safety, I will be pleased to see anyone step up. I like Howell's potential. He showed flashes last year. Hopefully we find a bit more consistency, and again hopefully he stays healthy. (Insert opinion here: please let Landry play in the box. His coverage is shaky, and I'd prefer to see him lay down the hammer). If Mike Adams contributes in a positive way at all, I will be thrilled.

4.) Mario Harvey v.s. Havili at FB. Should be a fun battle. I am intrigued by Harvey's potential given his athleticism and grit. He can be a mean man bulldozing people!

5.) WR's!!! This group has me very excited. I can't wait to see what Reggie, TY, and Nicks can do together. I really hope they take the leash off of Moncrief if he impresses as much at TC as he did at the minicamp. His potential has me salivating. As for DR, GW, and LB, may the best 2 men win. I look forward to a heated battle. I hope Rogers has worked as hard as the reports I have read seem to indicate.

6.) the O-Line. I think this group COULD be vastly improved. Thomas needs to keep working on his rehab. Mewhort has looked impressive and I love his grit and tenacity!!! I hope to see him contribute in a big way. I also believe that we will see a totally different Thornton. I think that he may exhibit some impressive growth (at least I'm really hoping!) lance Lewis should be solid depth. The real ? is Holmes. It's time to see what he can do.

7.) Luck's growth and development. For the first time in his pro career, he has the advantage of maintaining the same system 2 years in a row. Take the leash off and let him go wild. Great WR's and an improved line (hopefully) should equate to big things. Should be a great year!!!

Go Horseshoe!!!!!!!!!!

Well done

Even if Mewhort were to some day be our starting center and our center of the future, you'd still be wrong today, based on the facts that are available today.

Wrong. Stop making stuff up.

I never said Mewhort would be our center. I just said it is possible he could be. We have worked him out at center since day 1. Pagano had mentioned this a few times already.

Yet somehow people can't get the car keys out of their ears.

I knew he could they had him take reps at Ohio State just in case of an emergency while he was there. He never actually played C other than practice at OSU but he can definitely can play the position.

If he is better than Holmes he should be our C. I was basing our line would be in shambles again on the fact that all the talk all off season was how Holmes was the starting C. I was assuming injury. I am all for training camp battles. I was guessing Mewhort may start at G. I really don't think Thomas is going to be back at 100% but what do I know.

My hope is that somehow someway get an O Line that can actually block. Right now there are certainly more questions than answers it would seem. I think it will help that Luck has more say in what happens at the line of scrimmage. It looked for a while like Pep would run on 1st and 2nd down vs a 4 foot brick wall last year

I mostly agree. That said, it doesn't really matter what name is on the jersey of the player snapping the ball, so long as he is the best player we have at the position.

My point all along is that I would not be surprised if it turned out that Mewhort is the best player we have for the position.

I think Harvey has a great shot to make it over Havili -- I think he can be a better blocker, he is by far a better ST'er, can provide emergency LB depth if needed, and apparently he can catch (scroll ~1/2 way through this article): http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/6/11/5801496/colts-ota-notes-t-y-hilton-gives-colts-a-scare

For those saying to dump Doyle and bring on Swoope -- let's not forget Swope has never played a down of competitive football in his life -- and not to be offensive, but he was not a very accomplished college b-ball player (his senior year he averaged 18.1 minutes per game, 2.7 rebounds per game, and 5 points per game -- hardly outstanding numbers for a forward). From some interviews, it sounds like Pagano thinks he is athletic and has a high ceiling, but from Swoope's interview post-signing he said his goal this year is to make the practice squad and learn the game more.  He needs to bulk up (~40 lbs) and learn the game of football (not too unlike Adongo last year).  At this point, I think Swoope is a lock for the P.S. but a very long shot to make our 53.

Anyway, I know Pep likes that Spider Y Banana and to have a good receiving FB -- which, I don't think Havili is.  I think we are better off if we keep Harvey to be a blocker and ST'er and then use Doyle or Saunders at FB on occasion as they can both block and catch.  By replacing Havili with Harvey, it gives us more flexibility at another position on our roster since Harvey can be a special team's beast whereas Havili cannot.

Not to mention we will go with more 2 TE sets and get our best players/weapons on the field!!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:   More Allen and Fleener together more so than Saunders and Doyle IMO.

I mostly agree. That said, it doesn't really matter what name is on the jersey of the player snapping the ball, so long as he is the best player we have at the position.

My point all along is that I would not be surprised if it turned out that Mewhort is the best player we have for the position.

He was an all American center in high school

This was a great choice for us { Mewhort }  because of his ability to play 3 positions and the smarts to pick them up.Most people fall behind when they switch ,don't think for 1 second this kid will.

Absolutely. 

I am not really understanding the negativity (not from you) on this board about Mewhort playing center if he indeed ends up there. The best player will play in the right spot, or the best linemen will see the field and that can mix things up a bit too. I trust the coaches, and they obviously are interested in Mewhort's ability to play center, or they would not keep bringing it up.

Absolutely. 

I am not really understanding the negativity on this board about Mewhort playing center if he indeed ends up there. The best player will play in the right spot, or the best linemen will see the field and that can mix things up a bit too. I trust the coaches, and they obviously are interested in Mewhort's ability to play center, or they would not keep bringing it up.

Whatever the coaching staff can do to get our top 5 linemen on the field.  

I personally expect to see him at guard but whatever works.  

Not to mention we will go with more 2 TE sets and get our best players/weapons on the field!!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:   More Allen and Fleener together more so than Saunders and Doyle IMO.

I agree -- I am just thinking if we go with a 'big' package -- Fleener and Allen lined up as the TE's with a Saunders/Doyle at FB (if Harvey doesn't turn out to be great at catching the ball).

I agree -- I am just thinking if we go with a 'big' package -- Fleener and Allen lined up as the TE's with a Saunders/Doyle at FB (if Harvey doesn't turn out to be great at catching the ball).

The occasional Allen there as well...although I personally do not want him back in the H or fullback position.

Pagano is right. Making the final cuts for our roster will not be easy. I just hate losing good athletes to other teams especially inside the AFC South. Yes, I know that it comes with the territory as part of the HC/GM job description, but it's still tough to let guys go that gelled in our camp. Major bummer. 

But, like Grigs always says, the fact that other squads want our casts off very quickly means that INDY is doing something right & creating something special. [Championship Bound hopefully.] 

About Havili; I've posted two comments in various threads saying I don't think he will be on the 53.  I think Havili may have a concussion history, and lead blocking/special teams is tough for a guy with that problem.

I don't know how many he has had, but I think more than one since he has been here.

I think Chappell had Harvey as the FB.  Which tells me HE thinks the colts may use more of a ZB OL scheme rather than power man.....FB really just a short yardage blocker when the situation calls for it.  That's just pure speculation on my part.

It's killing me! I have my own wedding on July 12th, yet I can't keep the Colt's off my mind haha. Build the Monster!!!

Congrats on the impending nuptials. Living in NJ I was hoping to go to the Colts/Giants this year however.......

When the schedule came out I was disappointed to find out it is Nov. 3rd.

I'm getting married on Nov. 2nd.