Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Chappell's final 53!

BrentMc11

Grigson addressed the Holmes situation in the press conference where he got some flak for getting a little snippy (the "Whatsa Matter U" comment).  But what he said made sense.  He and Pagano are the ones who have watched Holmes in practice for a year.  They think he's ready.  If they're wrong, then they deserve criticism, but for the moment, they have the advantage of seeing him work.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the impending nuptials. Living in NJ I was hoping to go to the Colts/Giants this year however.......

When the schedule came out I was disappointed to find out it is Nov. 3rd.

I'm getting married on Nov. 2nd.

Simple solution....... if you were a Colts fan before you met the lady, go to the game. haha

But seriously, congratulations man :cheer:

I am not sold on the fact that Havili can catch. Let them battle it out my money is on Mario. Havili wasn't that impressive last year and he gave up the int vs the Pats. He graded out as the 5th worse lead blocker in the league. It would seem it would not take much to improve on that.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6742/stanley-havili  

Havili dropped two passes in 22 targets last year.

Grigson addressed the Holmes situation in the press conference where he got some flak for getting a little snippy (the "Whatsa Matter U" comment).  But what he said made sense.  He and Pagano are the ones who have watched Holmes in practice for a year.  They think he's ready.  If they're wrong, then they deserve criticism, but for the moment, they have the advantage of seeing him work.

I loved Grigson's comments in that presser. I didn't think he was snippy; I thought he was matter of fact, and his comments rubbed some people wrong because he threw his superior credentials in their faces. Like you said, he and the staff have watched the guy in practice for a year, they watched all the film, they scouted him, etc. This is their job; they get paid to do it. None of that means that they're above criticism, but the question he was answering was about why people should just wait and see on Holmes. And his answer was spot on, IMO.

Holmes was a highly rated prospect who struggled with injuries as a senior, was still recovering from an operation through the offseason, and then got hurt again in preseason. No catastrophic injuries, but enough to slow him down. He spent a year healing, training, practicing, hopefully getting stronger and better. And no one sees that but the people on the team.  They obviously drafted him in hopes that he'd be the starter, eventually, and now they're going to give him the chance to do that. That should say something about what they think of his development so far. He's hardly the first young player to get benched as a rookie, then be asked to play a greater role in his second year. This is normal. The blogosphere freaking out over nothing more than conjecture -- They didn't play him as a rookie, so he must suck! -- is what fails the smell test.

So yeah, I was happy with Grigson's response. Like you, I think it made total sense, and it would be smart of us (meaning the fanbase) to reserve judgment until we actually have something to evaluate. IMO

Too each his own

Whalen makes the team because he is our best punt returner (by far).  The argument on the board centers on which of the two has the most potential as a receiver. That's the wrong question.  Neither will play.  If Reggie can't play and IF Nicks can't play, we will go with more 2 TE sets, Allen, Fleener, TY and Moncrief.  I thinf the real question is whether Brazill can outshine Rogers for a "developmental" role.

Havili dropped two passes in 22 targets last year.

And personally,  I think both of those "drops",  Luck bares some responsibility....    I think his passes were too hot and too far off...

Could they have been caught?    Yes,  but they would've been very good catches and I'm not sure how much is fair to expect from a fullback (though receiving is supposed to be one of his strengths...)

Whalen makes the team because he is our best punt returner (by far). The argument on the board centers on which of the two has the most potential as a receiver. That's the wrong question. Neither will play. If Reggie can't play and IF Nicks can't play, we will go with more 2 TE sets, Allen, Fleener, TY and Moncrief. I thinf the real question is whether Brazill can outshine Rogers for a "developmental" role.

no he wont

Whalen makes the team because he is our best punt returner (by far). The argument on the board centers on which of the two has the most potential as a receiver. That's the wrong question. Neither will play. If Reggie can't play and IF Nicks can't play, we will go with more 2 TE sets, Allen, Fleener, TY and Moncrief. I thinf the real question is whether Brazill can outshine Rogers for a "developmental" role.

I 100% agree just wasnt wanting too go at it. I think Whalen is a receiver we need because of special teams and if he does get the chance hes a very good possession receiver. I like brazil, its a shame we cant keep them both but Whalen is the guy we need

And personally,  I think both of those "drops",  Luck bares some responsibility....    I think his passes were too hot and too far off...

Could they have been caught?    Yes,  but they would've been very good catches and I'm not sure how much is fair to expect from a fullback (though receiving is supposed to be one of his strengths...)

I know one of them had yardage written all over it....I blamed Havili for that one until I saw the replay.  It could have been a "catchable pass' vs a 'drop.'  It hurt us whichever way it was ruled.

no he wont

Hey Dudeski, if you are in my thread please do not make comments if you do not back them up with info.  Please explain your thought process.  

I do not think Whalen makes the cut either...but who am I...we have not put the pads on yet!!

Simple solution....... if you were a Colts fan before you met the lady, go to the game. haha

But seriously, congratulations man :cheer:

Thank you TK. I was a Colts fan LONG before I even met my fiance however, She was gonna buy me tix as a wedding gift but.......

we leave that morning for our honeymoon in Disney.

It just might be the first Monday night game I ever miss...................

Thank you TK. I was a Colts fan LONG before I even met my fiance however, She was gonna buy me tix as a wedding gift but.......

Disney?

Tell mickey mouse I said we having that apple juice feista in November.

And tell Donald Duck I want my $$ for bailing him out of jail the night him & goofy got into it haha

I 100% agree just wasnt wanting too go at it. I think Whalen is a receiver we need because of special teams and if he does get the chance hes a very good possession receiver. I like brazil, its a shame we cant keep them both but Whalen is the guy we need

but he isn't very good

its not too late to back out

but he isn't very good

And his stats are better than brazil, and he doesnt have drug probs sooo. Until you start backing up your opinions or atleast leaving more than one sentence your opinion means nothing too me

Have you ever heard of Schrodinger's cat?

Right now, Holmes can be thought of as both bad and good.  We won't know until we open the box and let him play.

Have you ever heard of Schrodinger's cat?

Right now, Holmes can be thought of as both bad and good.  We won't know until we open the box and let him play.

I said the same thing during draft season.

I can't imagine him being as bad as Satele was in 2013.

I said the same thing during draft season.

I can't imagine him being as bad as Satele was in 2013.

Or being as bad as Satele was in 2012.

In short it's not unreasonable to think he'll be better than Satele -- period.

The question becomes.......    how much better?

So,  we'll open Coffeedrinker's Box in September and find out.......