Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we sign Bob Sanders?

Probably a very silly idea but if he can play FS and not get injured I would be fine giving him a look. His current Nfl status is "free agent" not retired so it seems to be a decent idea.

Probably a very silly idea but if he can play FS and not get injured I would be fine giving him a look. His current Nfl status is "free agent" not retired so it seems to be a decent idea.

Not a decent idea. In fact a really bad idea that has less than zero chance of happening.

Maybe we could get Bickett and Freeny back to just to get us thru Mathis suspension Bickett has really been resting and I hear Freeny will be cut

I don't think the coaches see S as big as a hole as the board does.

As one of Bob's biggest fans, I don't think he will play another snap in the NFL.  His body couldn't handle it and he's 33.  I would love to see him on the Colts as a positional coach or something, but he won't be playing.

Yeah, sign him as a coach or front office guy. But his career is over.

I'm a Sanders fan, he's an Iowa guy too which is one of the first things I liked about the Colts.  (The Polian era Colts gave a lot of Iowa guys a shot.)

But he's old in NFL terms and he hasn't played in a few years.  On top of that he was an injury risk when he was young.  

It just doesn't make much sense to try to bring him back as a player.   

I loved watching Big Bob lay down the boom but with that style of play your body can only go on doing it for so long . In some off chance we did sign him I would not want to see him on the field until the playoffs then let him go wild .

Personally I would love it and from a business perspective, bringing a colt hero back for 1-2 more years would sell tickets and even jerseys. He would probably give the colts more revenue then his total contract would be worth. Bob Sanders will always be my favorite player to ever play in the nfl. Even if we signed him for a cheap back up role to help mentor the young guys I would be fine with that.  

• 2 months later...

people the last time bob sanders was relevant was 7 years ago. let it go

Can we make a GIGANTIC billboard in gold leaf lettering that says that? Amen Brother Amen. 

Bringing Bob Sanders back, a great safety for us in his day, is like bringing whacky 80 hairstyles back. You can do it sure, but some things must fade away gracefully and completely for good reason. They ran their course and must disappear forever now NFL wise. 

• 2 weeks later...