Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts rookie camp day one: Mewhort snapping

BlueShoe

Front page of the website shows a video of Mewhort snapping.

Mewhort will likely play guard and Grigson said he believes Mewhort's ceiling is at guard. Doesn't change the fact that he will be (at the very least) somewhere on the unofficial depth chart as a backup center.

He seems pretty comfortable snapping the rock.

I have been wondering what we'll do for a backup center since Costa retired. I guess we'll stay in house with Austin, or the Harrison kid from Florida. Or I guess we could go with one true center on the roster in Holmes, and let Thomas and/or Mewhort be the backup center. As far as Mewhort goes I think he's going to be a guard and a fine one at that.

Interesting...and wasn't Donald Thomas thought to be an emergency center? Another sign that he may not be ready for the start of the season.

He can snap the ball in a pinch he can play all 5 line spots We signed a pretty good UDFA from Florida you are going to see him snapping the ball too. Grigs Pag like guys that can play every where would not read too much into this except he can snap the ball. Which is good. Versatility is a big asset in the NFL most teams dress like 9 linemen

Holmes is getting first crack at it Coach has come out and said Holmes is the starting C if things are going well Mewhowrt will be at Guard.

Forget who said it but one of the NFL talking heads said the night we drafted him the Colts saw him as a center.

Mike Mayock said there are some people in the league who believe Mewhort's best position is at center.

This guy will be a monster in the NFL.  I predict he will be a starter 2/3 through the season because he earned it.  he is big, nasty, strong, and has a great Olinemen name :)

You could be wrong? He might be a starter from the start of the season if he has a good camp and plays well in pre-season. From what I hear he has a nasty streak in him so that all good. :number1:

If he can play center well it all the better. Someone needs to keep a fire lit under Holmes so he doesn't take it for granted.

Remebering how bad Satele was and how often he started I don't think it really matters. It's not that I don't agree with what you're saying, it's just the body of evidence that I see from this staff would make me believe that they pick a starter and ride him until he gets injured. Doesn't necessarily mean he's better.

Just my opinion.

Grigs drafted 2 players who have played all the positions on the line.  With all the different combinations the Colts used on the O line last year, it's good to see them trying Mewhort at center in rookie camp.  Find out if he would be an acceptable backup.  Fans tend to get their shorts in a bunch over these things.  I hope they try him a center, guard and both tackle spots.  It's in his pedigree, give the man some opportunity to see if what he could do in college, he can do in the pros.  

Coach 'em up, Pagano.  Good job.  

Grigs drafted 2 players who have played all the positions on the line.  With all the different combinations the Colts used on the O line last year, it's good to see them trying Mewhort at center in rookie camp.  Find out if he would be an acceptable backup.  Fans tend to get their shorts in a bunch over these things.  I hope they try him a center, guard and both tackle spots.  It's in his pedigree, give the man some opportunity to see if what he could do in college, he can do in the pros.  

Coach 'em up, Pagano.  Good job.  

It's always a good thing to have players who can play different positions. Like you said- COACH EM UP!!

If Mewhort becomes ours center, then Holmes better be an awesome guard. 

I have a feeling that Mewhort will play guard. I got that idea from hearing Pagano's press conference. It's is nice to Know he can play center if needed but lets hope it don't come to that point.

It sounds to me like Mewhort is going to be a guy that can play any position on the offensive line.  

However I think he'll likely start at guard.  

So I see him as a starting guard but also a backup center and a backup offensive tackle.  

its amazing how opinions change after the draft

:lol:

Indeed it is. Like we all know, if we don't take players people know it's automatically a bad draft

Now all of a sudden everyone's looking forward to/speaking positively of our draft picks haha

Don't you just :heart: the :colts: forum?

:lol:

Indeed it is. Like we all know, if we don't take players people know it's automatically a bad draft

Now all of a sudden everyone's looking forward to/speaking positively of our draft picks haha

Don't you just :heart: the :colts: forum?

I love it when people guarantee that we will not draft a certain position, and then watching them squirm when they are wrong. :) 

Im lookin forward to seeing what he can do in a game, I think he could be a dominant Center actually but I'd have to go back to see what some of the physical demands were on the Center position in our scheme to be sure, I dont think Mewhort will ever be that guy that will be exceptional or really good at getting to the 2nd level or being able to Pull well but being able to straight up maul someone I like him alot after watching much more of his game tapes from Ohio State, He dont blow anyone off the snap but when he gets a hold of ya most dont go anywhere after that