Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Official Re-Sign Darius Butler Thread

BlueShoe

We all know the front office reads this board so maybe we can throw our weight around a little. Judging from the responses to several posts over the past few years; it is my belief that most Colts fans would pound the table to see Darius Butler get a long-term deal. 

Darius Butler is an unrestricted free agent following the 2014 season. The only move I cared about in 2013 was to bring Butler back, and I believe the best move we made in 2013 was re-signing him. I am sure many will agree.

If he is willing to sign a reasonable extension now then why wait until next year?

It is my opinion (and others) that he is one of the best nickle corners in the NFL. I would like to see him in our long-term plans. 

I do not want to watch him walk out the door, because we let his deal run out. He has proven his worth to us, and revitalized his career in Indy. If we offered him a reasonable deal then he would likely take it. He fits what we are doing and we obviously fit him.

In football money, he is well worth the 3-4 million a year that the market dictates. If we let him go, we may never find another one like him.

Pay The Man!

I have to agree. Butler has been huge for us, and I think he's one of the better nickel corners in the league. He'll probably end up starting next to Vontae around week 5 when Toler goes down.

We should have given Butler the deal we gave Toler. It is easier to say that looking back at it now though.

I have to agree. Butler has been huge for us, and I think he's one of the better nickel corners in the league. He'll probably end up starting next to Vontae around week 5 when Toler goes down.

Lol this is probably going to happen but man do i hope it doesnt, he is so much better as a nickel

They made that mistake already. it will be Gordy unless someone beats him.

I don't think we should be giving him a long term deal given his age (28).  

A 2 year contract after this year should suffice.  Similar terms to the contract he's currently on.  

He just turned 28 a few months ago. A 4-year deal keeps him in Indy through the age of 31.

He just turned 28 a few months ago. A 4-year deal keeps him in Indy through the age of 31.

2014 - 28

2015 - 29

2016 - 30

2017 - 31

2018 - 32

No thanks.  If he's willing to take a short contract then give him a short contract.  The Colt's have to look out for the Colts.  And short contracts benefit the Colts as long as the player is willing to sign them.  

2014 - 28

2015 - 29

2016 - 30

2017 - 31

2018 - 32

No thanks.  If he's willing to take a short contract then give him a short contract.  The Colt's have to look out for the Colts.  And short contracts benefit the Colts as long as the player is willing to sign them.  

Signing Butler to a 4-5 year deal is in the Colts best interests.

As far as age, there really is not a lot of miles on his tires. He was out of football for a short while, and he has only played 5 years. 

I could easily see him get a better offer from another team. Which is why I doubt he will be willing to re-sign before he sees the market.

Especially with the cornerback market booming the way it is. 

That is why we need to lock him up now. We should have locked him up sooner. 

I could easily see him get a better offer from another team. Which is why I doubt he will be willing to re-sign before he sees the market.

Agreed.  We can make an offer, but with how he has played and the corner market booming there is no way he would sign anything from us.  Play well this year and with the market the way it is he could get a nice fat contract.

Was going to like it but I don't I do agree

3 year deal with 2 year guaranteed money would be good for both sides.  If let go in 2 years when he is 30, he will be at an age where he is likely get another short term contract.  Colts also will have him off the books in time for younger replacements to step up.  Grigson will probably sign him to a 5 year $20 million dollar contract and $15 guaranteed...lol

Yes we should give him a long term deal with out question!

I'm not sold on L.L. and G.T. at all. They still need to prove they can stay healthy and perform at a higher level.

I think G.T. can play good football,but needs to stay healthy.

L.L. did not impress me for the amount of money he was payed?

If the front office reads this that would be awesome, but what i wonder is what if Mathis is telling other players to read the forum and maybe Butler is reading this right now. lol if he is not someone should tweet him or something.

This may be the first time on our forum so many people have agreed on the same thing.

Sorry to rain on the parade... :)

I didn't think Butler had that good of a year last year. I thought he was inconsistent early in the year, and then when he took over on the outside for Cassius Vaughn, I didn't think he was that much better. Had a couple of really good ones, but most of the time I was a little underwhelmed. He was healthy all year, though, so that's a big plus.

I'm not trying to get rid of him or anything, as I think he's a solid player and a decent fill-in in case of injury, but I'm not in any hurry to throw a new deal at him, either. I hoped we would draft someone that could compete for slot corner duties this year, and maybe take his spot moving forward.

JMO

Sorry to rain on the parade... :)

I didn't think Butler had that good of a year last year. I thought he was inconsistent early in the year, and then when he took over on the outside for Cassius Vaughn, I didn't think he was that much better. Had a couple of really good ones, but most of the time I was a little underwhelmed. He was healthy all year, though, so that's a big plus.

I'm not trying to get rid of him or anything, as I think he's a solid player and a decent fill-in in case of injury, but I'm not in any hurry to throw a new deal at him, either. I hoped we would draft someone that could compete for slot corner duties this year, and maybe take his spot moving forward.

JMO

I agree. I think his play on the field will either make or break his chances of getting a new deal with us.

However.. The guy is a play- maker.