Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prize for worst 1st round pick

I'll say give Jacksonville the slight edge over the Pats ? A noodle armed QB with bad mechanics at 3 seems to be a little worse than an undersized DT -DE with 14 ACL surgeries at 29. Talk about teams reaching for need….

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say give Jacksonville the slight edge over the Pats ? A noodle armed QB with bad mechanics at 3 seems to be a little worse than an undersized DT -DE with 14 ACL surgeries at 29. Talk about teams reaching for need….

When I read "noodle armed" you lost every single ounce of credibility. Lol.

To answer your question, I didn't see any pick as bad today. The Bills have up too much for Watkins.

Yeah, Bortles dont have a noodle arm. Thats just ridiculous, Easley is also a first round talent who is as disruptive as hell and 1 of the 2 quickest interior D Linemen in this draft off the snap

Dominique Easley, Blake Bortles and Dee Ford, IMO were head scratchers for different reasons.

But if I had to choose, Blake Bortles. The Univ. of Rice DC played against Manziel, Bridgewater and Bortles and out of those 3, he felt Bortles made the worst decisions under pressure that were mind boggling.

I'm going with Detroit....and their selection of Eric Ebron at #10.

It's not that Ebron isn't talented, but they have more tight ends than a Hawaiian Tropic bikini contest.

Yeah, I totally overlooked that one. What was Jim Caldwell thinking here?

Hold your breath on the Bortles pick.

The ones that I'd call a reach or say didn't make too much sense were Buccannon, Ford, Benjamin, and Easly.

Edit: Yeah the above poster reminded me James seemed like a bit of a reach too. 

Im gonna go with the Cowboys selecting Martin over Pryor and Dix, Also I know the Panthers need a WR but I would not have touched Benjamin in the 1st, Slow, not a good route runner, does not get of press coverage consistently well, Has the body of a TE

James the OT who went to.....   I forget where....   but he's not a first round guy....

And Smith who Philly took in the 20's....  and he's not a first round guy.....

Those were the two biggest head scratchers for me....

Just because a player is PROJECTED to go in such and such round...DOES NOT mean...they will. Team's big board are different from the ones we view on-line.

Just because a player is PROJECTED to go in such and such round...DOES NOT mean...they will. Team's big board are different from the ones we view on-line.

You're very new here.    I've been preaching that since the day I arrived two years ago.

That doesn't mean those are good picks.    They may be.    But they may also be a sign that the board for those teams are  screwed up.     It'll take years for anyone to know....

Panthers. They should have taken Cody Latimer over Benjamin. Not as big, but overall a better prospect. But I saw that one coming and had it penciled in on my first round mock.

I'll give the prize to the Lions. So many directions they could've gone and they over stack on TEs and its not as if he was known for 2 TE sets in Indy or Baltimore, so I'm not sure what the thinking was there except for "they can't cover 2 6'5" guys". They could've got ASJ or Amaro in the 2nd anyways.

Im gonna go with the Cowboys selecting Martin over Pryor and Dix, Also I know the Panthers need a WR but I would not have touched Benjamin in the 1st, Slow, not a good route runner, does not get of press coverage consistently well, Has the body of a TE

Zach Martin is going to be a beast though inside next to Frederick

When I read "noodle armed" you lost every single ounce of credibility. Lol.

To answer your question, I didn't see any pick as bad today. The Bills have up too much for Watkins.

He is not noted for having a strong arm and you lost your credibility in your last 4000 or so posts.  BTW… what does "have up too much mean ? " 

Well you're wrong in your evaluation dw49. The Jags needed a QB and got one with a giant ceiling. The Pats did relatively well with Easley (although I thought Jernigan was the better choice).

There were some reaches. I think the Dolphins getting Ja'Wuan James as surprising, and I'll give them the worst 1st round pick.

You got Jordan Matthews, Donte Moncrief, Devante Adams still sitting on the board and you go and take Kelvin Benjamin in the first round?  I didn't agree with that one very much at all

Well you're wrong in your evaluation dw49. The Jags needed a QB and got one with a giant ceiling. The Pats did relatively well with Easley (although I thought Jernigan was the better choice).

There were some reaches. I think the Dolphins getting Ja'Wuan James as surprising, and I'll give them the worst 1st round pick.

We will see if I'm wrong on Bortels. He's a big guy that pushes the ball down field , no real zip. Time will tell. The 3rd pick in the first round in a strong draft should be able to start for a rebuilding team with no QB. So we should be able to grade him a bit this year. If I'm right , most of you will hide and make excuses. But it will be easy to find this thread again as I know the date. I will revisit and eat crow if I'm wrong.

He is not noted for having a strong arm and you lost your credibility in your last 4000 or so posts. BTW… what does "have up too much mean ? "

Yes he is, lol.

Oh, what a burn. Great job. Lol.

Yeah, my phone corrected gave to have. Wow good job your English skills are far superior to mine wow. *claps*

Do us a favor and stop pretending to know anything.

it's a tie between manziel, bridgewater, and richardson. i thought cleveland was turning things around in their front office with the richardson trade and the trade down, but they just can't help making bad moves. i remember when the colts were in this position, thank god for bill polian and some luck!!!

Oh gosh, I never realized the Bills gave up 2 first rounders to the Browns for Sammy Watkins.

Browns still have 2 first rounders for the 2015 NFL draft and at least one of the Browns and the Bills may be picking in the top 10 again, for all we know. If it ends up being both, then yeah, good deal for the Browns in the long run, IMO.

Oh gosh, I never realized the Bills gave up 2 first rounders to the Browns for Sammy Watkins.

Browns still have 2 first rounders for the 2015 NFL draft and at least one of the Browns and the Bills may be picking in the top 10 again, for all we know. If it ends up being both, then yeah, good deal for the Browns in the long run, IMO.

Browns just won't quit stockpiling picks. This has been going on for a while now. 

I definitely think the Bills got TAXED to move up for Watkins. They'll love having him, but to move up five spots, they gave up a first rounder? Ouch. (Still better than the Richardson trade, and not as steep as the Julio Jones trade.)

And I don't understand why the Browns moved back up (and surrendered a future third, for one spot today), to draft Gilbert. I don't think Minnesota wanted Gilbert, and even if they did, so what? I don't think Gilbert is that special. Don't get why they felt they had to get back up in front of the Vikings for a corner.

Goodness, I forgot about the Lions. Ebron will be a nice player, but not special enough to warrant being picked at #10, IMO. They could have taken a game-wrecker on defense, like Shazier or Mosley. Or even Aaron Donald, since they declined Fairley's option. I guess they want to make sure they get their money's worth out of Stafford. I just don't see the value or the need.

Browns just won't quit stockpiling picks. This has been going on for a while now.

I definitely think the Bills got TAXED to move up for Watkins. They'll love having him, but to move up five spots, they gave up a first rounder? Ouch. (Still better than the Richardson trade, and not as steep as the Julio Jones trade.)

And I don't understand why the Browns moved back up (and surrendered a future third, for one spot today), to draft Gilbert. I don't think Minnesota wanted Gilbert, and even if they did, so what? I don't think Gilbert is that special. Don't get why they felt they had to get back up in front of the Vikings for a corner.

& did Cleveland skip Cincy & San Diego to grab Manziel???

That was a head scratcher to me...

I guess if you have a movie out about your draft day goings ons, then I guess you had better show up big...

Goodness, I forgot about the Lions. Ebron will be a nice player, but not special enough to warrant being picked at #10, IMO. They could have taken a game-wrecker on defense, like Shazier or Mosley. Or even Aaron Donald, since they declined Fairley's option. I guess they want to make sure they get their money's worth out of Stafford. I just don't see the value or the need.

I had Detroit taking Gilbert at 10 originally, But then when the Browns took him at 8 I still thought the Lions would go for one of the Safeties that went in the 1st

The Lions already invested a 1st round pick about 3 years back on a TE from Okla St.   And now Ebron?

Lewan was there,  and Detroit's OL could use some help.    Martin was there.

And that defense needs help everywhere.     As you noted, Donald was there.    The LB's were there, the safeties were there and most of the corners!   

But they succumbed to temptation. 

There are going to be lots and lots of high scoring games for the Lions.

They're still a *t organization. No matter how much money they have or picks they get, they will still *t the bed. How many top-10 picks have they had in the last decade? And how many winning seasons have they had in that span? Same ole', same ole'... I have to give Browns fans credit for continually dealing with it.

The Lions already invested a 1st round pick about 3 years back on a TE from Okla St.   And now Ebron?

Lewan was there,  and Detroit's OL could use some help.    Martin was there.

And that defense needs help everywhere.     As you noted, Donald was there.    The LB's were there, the safeties were there and most of the corners!   

But they succumbed to temptation. 

There are going to be lots and lots of high scoring games for the Lions.

Pettigrew is ok, but he doesn't have the ability to stretch the field like Ebron can. I still believe it was a wasted pick and Detroit should have gone another route (no pun intended). That was almost reminiscent of the Colts in Polian's early years with Manning. S/DB/OL should have been a higher priority, at least in my opinion.

I don't think any team picked a bad player but the Browns trading up to get a corner was a head scratcher. Don't think the Vikes were going to take him anyways.

In terms of the Pats, I like Easley but yet another player with injury concerns. He should have plenty of time to heal though given he will be third on the depth chart behind Vince and Kelly. Although he could see some action at other spots given he can play up and down the line so the versatility is good and they certainly need guys that can bring the heat on the QB. I was hoping they would take the TE Amaro with the first pick but rarely does Bill take a skill spot in the first round.