Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Spikes and Talib Say Patriots Put Out False Injury Reports

HtownColt

Brandon Spikes and Aqib Talib have both said since leaving New England in free agency that when they were on the Patriots last year, the team gave them injury designations that weren’t accurate. Spikes ended last season on injured reserve with a knee injury, and there were reports that Patriots coach Bill Belichick actually put Spikes on IR because Spikes had shown up late to practice. Spikes seemed to confirm that in an interview on WGR in Buffalo.

“I heard they put me on IR and stuff like that. That was just a false report,” Spikes said, via ESPN.com. “That’s just how things go there. Almost like what happened with Talib and his hip.”

Talib was on injury reports last season with hip injuries, but after signing with the Broncos he said he never had a hip injury.

“The Patriots have their way of reporting stuff, but I haven’t had a hip problem since Tampa,” Talib said. “The injury I had was actually a quad injury. It was reported as a hip injury, but that’s how they do things.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/spikes-talib-say-patriots-file-false-injury-reports/

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question what advantage is gained by falsely reporting injuries?  Especially in the case of Talib and saying his quad injury was a hip injury?

I can see how there might be some benefit in putting someone in IR when they are not injured.  

So that it doesn't get targeted by an opposing team. If I report that a guy has an ankle injury on his left leg then there's the chance that the next team you play targets his already injured ankle in an attempt to injure him. 

False reports seems a bit of a stretch with both players. Talib missed multiple games both seasons and the injury was noted as a hip. He says it was a quad and that his hip issues were only in Tampa. Not sure how or why the Pats would want to mis-categorize his injury. Either way he was out and missed games. I think his comments were to try to settle the talk that he is injury prone with a reoccurring hip issue. I hope for Denver's sake it was a new injury and not the same one that has plagued him most of his career. Time will tell.

Spikes was hurt at the end of last year. He was limping through most games from about week 10 on. He missed chunks of games that stretch and when he was in, he was not very effective. His issue seems more with the IR designation ending his season. He was clearly not 100 percent and wanted to keep playing and then it came out that he was late to meetings and that was the final straw. The Pats put him on IR to keep him from being picked up by another team in the post-season as that is what could have happened if they released him. He signed a one year 3 mil deal with Buffalo. So it appears no team wanted to take a long term flyer on him.

I think it was the Browns or maybe the Miami game that Talib limped off and it sure looked like a hip pointer. Spikes was squirming on the ground and had to gather himself before limping off with his injuring. Spikes stopped practicing and Talib was limited for the rest of the season until bailing out of the Denver game. 

Could care less.

Don't you guys have some crowd noise to pump into your arena?

I'd agree if that were true, but it was confirmed this didn't happen. CBS took responsibility for the incident.

CBS-TV and the NFL said the mistake was not the Colts', but rather the network's. "CBS has informed the NFL that the unusual audio moment heard that fans might have heard during the Patriots-Colts telecast was the result of tape feedback in the CBS production truck and was isolated to the CBS broadcast," a league spokesman said Monday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d803f1ce4/article/cbs-takes-responsibility-for-crowd-noise-discrepancy-at-indy

Back to the topic, this doesn't surprise me the Pats do this. The Pats lack respect for their players. They consistently cut veterans early, there was the cutting Underwood before the Superbowl fiasco, there was Belichick mouthing off Welker (real professional, coach), I could go on. Cant wait until Brady/Belichick retire so they can go back to the laughing stock they once were in Tecmo Bowl.

They didn't care enough to make an issue of it at the time.

Would you yell at your boss while you are working for him/her ( of course you would if you don't care about getting fired ) ?.

They are humans like us. Thats their JOB. They need to support their family and themselves. They waited for the right opportunity, found another job and now they say it.

Would you yell at your boss while you are working for him/her ( of course you would if you don't care about getting fired ) ?.

They are humans like us. Thats their JOB. They need to support their family and themselves. They waited for the right opportunity, found another job and now they say it.

Your point was if they were worried about finding new jobs, in that case who cares about current boss.

I'm sure prospective teams do due diligence on prospective signings who I'm guessing would own their medical records.

Sorry I know your feelings towards the Pats but like I said I'm sure a lot of teams do this so let's not go all high horse just because it's our NE friends :)

Your point was if they were worried about finding new jobs, in that case who cares about current boss.

I'm sure prospective teams do due diligence on prospective signings who I'm guessing would own their medical records.

Sorry I know your feelings towards the Pats but like I said I'm sure a lot of teams do this so let's not go all high horse just because it's our NE friends :)

Oh yeah you know my feelings towards Pats?. I like how you twist and divert this topic and make it personal.

Lets stick to the topic, if you can. I said this in general for any player. In this scenario it happens to be Pats and if you notice i didn't start this thread.

Keeping the above in mind, re-read what i wrote. You will get a better idea.

I am sure league will address if indeed the Pats have violated any rules.

Sorry, correction. If the Pats have "misinterpreted the rules".

They never cheat or violate.  :clap:  :disco: .

Well it's posts such as these, which happened to be made by you in this topic that tend to give the impression that you don't much like the Pats, So no I wasn't really twisting things round, just responding to something you'd previously wrote. I'd also feel fairly confident that if we looked at your previous posting history regarding them there is going to be theme of anti-Patriots feelings. Now there's nothing wrong with that in the slightest but I think it would be fair at the least to say you have a bias against them. 

Oh yeah you know my feelings towards Pats?. I like how you twist and divert this topic and make it personal.

Lets stick to the topic, if you can. I said this in general for any player. In this scenario it happens to be Pats and if you notice i didn't start this thread.

Keeping the above in mind, re-read what i wrote. You will get a better idea.

I was sticking to the topic, I was merely suggesting that the opinions ventured by yourself might be influenced by your feelings regards the organisation in question. If this was another franchise I'd wager you wouldn't feel so strongly about the rights of multi-millionaires. 

In fact the only person so far to make it personal was yourself by suggesting I have issues with reading comprehension, I never intended to antagonise (it's hard to indicate tone on-line I know but I thought a smiley was the de facto for I'm not getting in your face). 

So that it doesn't get targeted by an opposing team. If I report that a guy has an ankle injury on his left leg then there's the chance that the next team you play targets his already injured ankle in an attempt to injure him. 

that's a good reason

Lol Shane is prolly one of the few guys on here that feels as close to me as possible about the patriots (don't think anyone on here hates them as much as me lol)

Lol Shane is prolly one of the few guys on here that feels as close to me as possible about the patriots (don't think anyone on here hates them as much as me lol)

You can't be a Colt's fan and not dislike them at least a little and there is no issue with that at all, just don't pretend it doesn't make you a tiny little bit biased about then now and again :P

This is a non story. Spikes especially should just shut his face.

The incident itself about misreporting I don't think is that big a deal, the real story is the story in itself in why lately so many exPats seem to have a chip on their shoulder when they leave with regards to how things are run.

It's very effective to run an authoritarian tightly controlled environment as long as authority isn't disputed, seems like not all the players were down with this style.

The incident itself about misreporting I don't think is that big a deal, the real story is the story in itself in why lately so many exPats seem to have a chip on their shoulder when they leave with regards to how things are run.

It's very effective to run an authoritarian tightly controlled environment as long as authority isn't disputed, seems like not all the players were down with this style.

I don't think Talib was grinding any axes. I think he was just saying he hasn't felt his hip has been a problem. Spikes is just running his mouth off.

Wonder why Belichick didn't want him anymore

But go on and hoist all our angry rejects on to your shoulders if it makes you feel better about your envy over our success.

:thmup:

Seriously, though... non-story. Belichick protects his players by being vague about their injuries. Like Steven A Smith said today, who is a NY fan mind you, if Spikes was man enough to play here and take pay checks from here and operate under our system, he should be man enough to leave with grace

I don't think Talib was grinding any axes. I think he was just saying he hasn't felt his hip has been a problem. Spikes is just running his mouth off.

But go on and hoist all our angry rejects on to your shoulders if it makes you feel better about your envy over our success.

"Success" = not winning a super bowl in basically a decade.

Patriots fans are the new cowboys fans. Hold onto the past for as long as you can.

living in the past is embarrassing. How many players currently on the pats were on the 04 sb team

I guarantee this story is only a thread on forums of teams that have reasons to hate the Patriots.

Nobody else cares. I could google "Cowboys forum" right now and I bet I would see nothing or a news report with 2 uninterested replies.

If I go to a colts forum, Steelers forum, Jets forum, Bills forum, Dolphins forum, Ravens forum, etc, it's probably "OMG THE EVIL PATS AGAIN"

I guarantee this story is only a thread on forums of teams that have reasons to hate the Patriots.

Nobody else cares. I could google "Cowboys forum" right now and I bet I would see nothing or a news report with 2 uninterested replies.

If I go to a colts forum, Steelers forum, Jets forum, Bills forum, Dolphins forum, Ravens forum, etc, it's probably "OMG THE EVIL PATS AGAIN"

Sounds like a good idea.   Please, go to the Cowboys forum    right now.