Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Spikes and Talib Say Patriots Put Out False Injury Reports

HtownColt

Of course, I remember that.   But I also remember he did in fact have injured ankles.

I am still NOT understanding  WHY report a phantom injury., and set your player up to be targeted..??  Still makes ZERO sense.   Maybe I need a :cheers:

Right which kind of makes the claims of Talib in particular silly. He was injured and sat out multiple games. Like I said, I think he just wanted to quiet the talk that he has a bum hit so he figured the least path of resistance would be to say the Pats mis-categorized his injury. Yet he said nothing for the last year and a half when he was on the injury report a ton for a hip.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I've had that :cheers:       haha

I will re-phrase my question.   The above story aside......    Many posters have stated that ALL teams file these false injuries, from time to time....  My Question is STILL  ~  what would be a benefit of reporting a false injury..??    Still makes a no sense a to me   :scratch:

Okay, I've had that :cheers:       haha

I will re-phrase my question.   The above story aside......    Many posters have stated that ALL teams file these false injuries, from time to time....  My Question is STILL  ~  what would be a benefit of reporting a false injury..??    Still makes a no sense a to me   :scratch:

I'll take a stab at this, but bear in mind that I should have been born a blonde.

Let's say you and I are on opposing teams.  You have a bum left leg, but your team files a false report saying that it is your right arm because they don't want anyone targeting your left leg. 

I want to take you out of the game, so I target what I think is your bum right arm.

Of course, you and your team run the risk that I could also injure your right arm leaving you with a bum left leg and a bum right arm.

However, it would be more likely that I could further injure your already bum left leg rather than injure your healthly right arm had I know that it was your left leg that was injured.

Now, if you were perfectly healthy and your team said that you had a bum anything; I agree that would make no sense and I can't imagine why any team would file a false report saying that a player had an injury when they had none.

But  could someone tell me what would be the "benefit" of false reporting of injuires...??

I can think of 1 reason, because if the opponent knows the exact muscle/joint/bone etc thats injured, the person they'll be matched up against can study their tendencies and say "hmmm, well he drives off this foot whenever he falls back into zone" or "he usually plants this foot and leads with his right arm when jamming WRs at the line" and things of that nature and actually design a 1 on 1 game plan to try and execute certain routes/coverages etc that they know require a lot of lateral movement, acceleration or leverage and try to exploit the injury to make the player have to play through pain as much as possible or potentially have him reaggrivate/reinjure themself in the process.

You can break the strategy level of football right down to the tiniest detail, and im sure that opponents study the injury report just like they study every single little eyebrow twitch, head jerk, eye movement and habit that a player has when on the field and how they respond to certain situations.  From that data, you can employ a micro strategy to try and gain a strategic advantage over the other person/team.

I can see how this concept can be lost on casual fans or people who aren't as into the X's & O's and the more in depth detail of the game, but it definitely happens.  Every team after every game hands out perfectly edited DVDs of their next opponents plays and tendencies.  Brady and other players have been witnessed countless times studying their next opponent on their laptops watching a DVD of all of their plays etc..  Its part of the business of football and routine, standard operating procedure of every organization in the league.  They're are staff members whose job is to gather this data and edit it down to a viewable product with a low turn around time of hours. 

There is game tape of every single play, from every single angle of every single game for every single team by midnight on Sunday across the entire NFL.  Which is why I find it so cackingly hilarious to read posts from people that still grasp onto a 7 year old media-driven story like a binky so that they can pretend the reality that Tom Brady and the Patriots that were able to pull off a really hot run of games and create a dynasty in the salary cap era is just really some fantasy world that doesn't exist.  Here we are, 7 years after the fact, and the Patriots have had 2 more Super Bowl appearances, 4 AFC Championships, 7 Division Titles, had a historic offense that lead to a perfect 16-0 regular season and 2 NFL MVPs. 

Yea, those Patriots truly are some "has beens."  LOL

I can think of 1 reason, because if the opponent knows the exact muscle/joint/bone etc thats injured, the person they'll be matched up against can study their tendencies 

I can see how this concept can be lost on casual fans or people who aren't as into the X's & O's

Thanks,   I edited your quote, because your first sentence,  combined with what Shecolt had posted actually answered what I was asking.     

I get it now.  

It was actually $250,000 for the team.

This is a good source for sifting through the Spygate stuff and getting to the actual facts:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extras/askreiss/05_13_08/

Personally I have no problem if someone believes the worst of it. As Belichick would say, "it is what it is." I just hope that anyone in that category would take the time to educate themselves before reaching that conclusion, that's all. Pretty fair I think.  :thmup:

So you hand pick just one website and ignore the others?

He didn't read it. He can handle the truth. I'm still waiting for him to tell us what the other owners said?

For your information I did read the article. Do you honestly think a Boston related article would totally unbiased? I have yet to read or seen an article that would go negative with anything related to the Pats or BB. As far as what the other owners said it is pretty obvious with the highest fine in NFL history. Goodell only does what he is told to do by the majority of the owners. He is paid real well to be the mouthpiece for them. He also is well paid to take the heat for their unpopular decisions as far as the media and the fans.

So you hand pick just one website and ignore the others?

I don't understand your obvious aggression here. The source I linked to isn't favorable or slanted, it's just a good one-stop summation of the entire fiasco. If you want to share links too then go for it. 

You made an error in your initial post (the amount the team was fined), which is why I thought you might find it interesting. But if you'd prefer to go through life making your judgments and decisions on erroneous information, I apologize for interjecting with, you know, correct information.   :thmup:

Fact is, at this point, most people don't know jack about Spygate. They think they do, but they stop listening at "the Patriots broke the rules" and don't bother learning more.

For your information I did read the article. Do you honestly think a Boston related article would totally unbiased? I have yet to read or seen an article that would go negative with anything related to the Pats or BB. As far as what the other owners said it is pretty obvious with the highest fine in NFL history. Goodell only does what he is told to do by the majority of the owners. He is paid real well to be the mouthpiece for them. He also is well paid to take the heat for their unpopular decisions as far as the media and the fans.

Goodell doesn't get direction from owners in situations like these. 

Do you actually know how any of this works? 

i don't know, i guess he got a huge fine for nothing

How's that make him questionable? He was right in the open and upfront about everything. He's probably the most trustable guy in the league if not he's right there at the top of the list.

You're going to need another roll of Tinfoil.

So please I'm dying to hear what the other owners said?

I dont care if what Pats did were right or wrong, all i care is the fines imposed on the Pats were right or wrong?. Two different things.

The fines were right. Every team was notified to stop the practice and Bill got cute. He got his hand slapped. It wasn't the largest monetary fine in NFL history and draft picks have been taken many times.  

The fines were right. Every team was notified to stop the practice and Bill got cute. He got his hand slapped. It wasn't the largest monetary fine in NFL history and draft picks have been taken many times.

It was the largest fine ever given to a head coach

Post Spygate they've been the winningest team in the NFL. They've been to two more SB that they very easily could have won. I Bill was such an evil doer and Spygate was the secret to SB victory would he just continue garnering the same info in the one of the 50 or so legal ways to do it?

Goodell doesn't get direction from owners in situations like these. 

Do you actually know how any of this works? 

The owners pay him. If you think he is independent with his decisions without owners input then I think you could be very uninformed. The owners are his boss and pay him to do what they want. If not he would be fired. The NFL is a business and Goodell is paid to run that business. There is too many subject's to list what his duties are but no businessmen is going to hire anyone that goes out of line with what they want. 

Brandon Spikes and Aqib Talib have both said since leaving New England in free agency that when they were on the Patriots last year, the team gave them injury designations that weren’t accurate. Spikes ended last season on injured reserve with a knee injury, and there were reports that Patriots coach Bill Belichick actually put Spikes on IR because Spikes had shown up late to practice. Spikes seemed to confirm that in an interview on WGR in Buffalo.

“I heard they put me on IR and stuff like that. That was just a false report,” Spikes said, via ESPN.com. “That’s just how things go there. Almost like what happened with Talib and his hip.”

Talib was on injury reports last season with hip injuries, but after signing with the Broncos he said he never had a hip injury.

“The Patriots have their way of reporting stuff, but I haven’t had a hip problem since Tampa,” Talib said. “The injury I had was actually a quad injury. It was reported as a hip injury, but that’s how they do things.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/spikes-talib-say-patriots-file-false-injury-reports/

Wait a minute..by posting this are you insinuating the Patriots are bending the rules to gain a competitive advantage??   C'..mon man ..no way!!! (insert sarcasm) ;)

Not sure why we are talking SpyGate for an Spikes/Talib injury topic.

Convincing a Pats fan that Peyton is better than Brady is equal to convincing a Colts fan that SpyGate is Holy from Heaven.

Just give it up.

haha  it happens

1959978_10151985984733314_252163130_n.jp

He doesn't.

So tell me how it all works. Goodell is hired by the owners. Do you think he then does exactly what he wants to do? If you believe that then there is nothing I could say that would inlighten you. It dont take a rocket scientist to figure out who pays Goodell and who is in charge of the NFL. Goodell is paid a very nice wage to be the mouthpiece, bad guy, good guy and anything else the owners dont want to deal with themselves. The bottom line is money runs the NFL and the owners get what they want. What other major sport is there where the owners are not obligated to pay a signed contract? You honestly think the owners dont run the show? Pretty naive of overlooking the biggest picture.

Post Spygate they've been the winningest team in the NFL. They've been to two more SB that they very easily could have won. I Bill was such an evil doer and Spygate was the secret to SB victory would he just continue garnering the same info in the one of the 50 or so legal ways to do it?

Easily have won? If it was that easy then why didn't they win? :facepalm:

Easily have won? If it was that easy then why didn't they win? :facepalm:

It seems some things just go right over your head.  His point is that they were within a miracle helmet catch and a Welker drop away from winning both of those Super Bowls..  The game could have gone either way, its not like it was the Denver vs Seattle SB where it was just an embarrassing beat down... it was an extremely competitive game that came down to the final drive.

You're just looking to pick fights with people and don't do a very good job of presenting or backing up your argument.  You just twist peoples words and play the semantics game to paint your own distorted picture.

I dont care if what Pats did were right or wrong, all i care is the fines imposed on the Pats were right or wrong?. Two different things.

Sure, the fines seemed "fair." I hated that they lost a pick (you never know who that might have been, but look at late 1st rounders and early 2nd rounders from 2008) but the punishment was just. 

I think what made it worse is that what they got caught doing was addressed specifically in a league memo. It's like if I say to one my kids, "Don't touch that!" and they immediately touch whatever it was I told them not to touch. The punishment was commensurate with the offense. 

The owners pay him. If you think he is independent with his decisions without owners input then I think you could be very uninformed. The owners are his boss and pay him to do what they want. If not he would be fired. The NFL is a business and Goodell is paid to run that business. There is too many subject's to list what his duties are but no businessmen is going to hire anyone that goes out of line with what they want. 

Love it... I only chimed in because you posted something about a $200K fine when it was actually $250K. But I'm the one who's uninformed... got it! 

Just keep living in that world where a lack of facts and information don't stop you from having an opinion.  :thmup:

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 24, 2014 - baiting
Hidden by Nadine, March 24, 2014 - baiting

Feel sorry for crazy colt he's got a pack of cheater fans teaming up on him on his own teams board. Here's an idea why don't they defend the cheaters on the cheater board??? It's not just the colts fans that can't stand the patriots pretty much every teams fans can't stand you.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 24, 2014 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, March 24, 2014 - quoting removed post

Feel sorry for crazy colt he's got a pack of cheater fans teaming up on him on his own teams board. Here's an idea why don't they defend the cheaters on the cheater board??? It's not just the colts fans that can't stand the patriots pretty much every teams fans can't stand you.

You could not be more wrong. 

If you hate another person because of their football rooting interests, that says 100% more about you than it does the person you hate. It also suggests you're either: a) A very emotional individual, b) A little too overzealous about sports, or c) 12 years old. Or all of the above. 

Just sayin'.