Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worried we might have too much for Pep and Chud

you all fail

half back= running back/tailback/3back

or am i misunderstanding you? (honest question)

i dont think were going to put out TE in at the HB position to run the ball, maybe the FB, 2 positon to block

Sorry H-Back as the 1st poster was describing. Figured you would get that.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooo Andrew wasn't in shotgun 80%+ of the time? That's a spread offense. He was throwing the ball 40+ times a game. At least 30 of the throws were from the shotgun

I don't think being in shotgun is the determining factor of whether or not we're in a spread.

If I'm wrong,  fine.    But I'd like to read some other posts saying that.

He never had this kind of talent @ wr and te. Last yr, they forced too many of those rinning formations. We need to accept being a pass first team and not wait till we're behind dbl digits.

And who cares abou Havili's blocking. Allen is a good blocker when healthy

Who cares about Havili's blocking!? What is in the water around here lately? I have seen a lot of lunacy around here the past couple of days and it makes me think that some of us can't appreciate a good thing for what it is.

We have a good thing going and people are concerned about personnel packages!? How about we just be thankful we have personnel to put into packages as we see fit and for how the game dictates at that moment in time? 

If the Oline plays as stout as we would like... we don't need to worry about who is on the field because they are all playmakers.

I don't think being in shotgun is the determining factor of whether or not we're in a spread.

If I'm wrong, fine. But I'd like to read some other posts saying that.

Everyone knows that Arians offense is high risk high reward offense. You can either call it a spread or a air raid offense. We had 3 WR's or more on the field most of the time. That's a air raid or spread offense

But anyway all that is besides the point. The real situation here is how the OP managed to turn the good things Grigson has done into a problem. Since when was there a such thing as "too much talent". A few days ago, we didn't have enough, now we have too much

(The following statement is intended as an example & is not directed to inflict any negativity towards the female members of this great forum)

This forum is like women, no matter what you do.... YOU JUST CAN'T SATISFY THEM!

:rantoff:

Sorry H-Back as the 1st poster was describing. Figured you would get that.

no need to be sorry i always assumed h-back was Half back and vice versa as i explained above because of the missuse in youth football, and it made me feel like a # ha. if you wouldve said h-back im not gonna lie i might have asked the same thing because i assumed they were the same, maybe i wouldnt have but i doubt it. 

if i wouldve known what it meant to begin with i wouldve understood what you mean, just a misunderstanding,  but to my credit i thought the way you guys were talking it wasnt the same position thats why i said i might be misunderstanding, cheers

I really do not understand the logic behind this thread.  Since when is depth and versatility a bad thing?

There is no logic behind this thread! It's almost concerning to me when I read posts or threads that are this dumb. It really makes me wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have.

I don't think anybody should ever worry about having too much depth or talent on a team.  If anything, in that type of situation it should be about their chemistry and if their personalities/ego's can coexist, which I don't believe will ever be a problem in the Colts locker room considering the leadership of the front office.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

*Reports you as Spam*

I am glad you are not the one who looks at talent for the Colts.

-5.6 Blocking from PFF, One of the lowest grades... Learn your facts before you judge. I'm not for this "No FB Thing"  but Havili is clearly more of a athletic FB then a pounder blocking FB.

CWRPzcM.png

-5.6 Blocking from PFF, One of the lowest grades... Learn your facts before you judge. I'm not for this "No FB Thing"  but Havili is clearly more of a athletic FB then a pounder blocking FB.

CWRPzcM.png

So blocking is the only thing Havili does? I guess his catching ability don't count? Stats don't tell the whole story. If stats told the whole story was Luck a bad QB because of his inteception stats?

CWRPzcM.png

So blocking is the only thing Havili does? I guess his catching ability don't count? Stats don't tell the whole story. If stats told the whole story was Luck a bad QB because of his inteception stats?

Im not saying that Havili is a bad FB! I'm saying he's not a good blocker. As I pointed out, he's a very athletic talented FB, just not the best blocker that is all.

IMO, the addition of Chud means the Colts are not sold on Pep as OC.  Last year was not an easy year to be the OC, with so many injuries to key people.  This year will be the year to have this question answered. 

I don't think that is the case at all. As you point out, last year was very difficult with the injuries and the FO being hell bend on running the ball with out the proper support.

Chud is brought in to relieve and help Pagano with the offensive side, so he can concentrate more on defense. It is going to be great.  :thmup: 

I think its time to ditch the fullback thing and make Allen an H Back. 2 TEs that need to play. 5 solid WRs. Im including DaRick. Only trouble spots could be the rb position. And Center

I just think the 3 best wr should be on the field as much as possible

:slaphead: Enough already. :groan:

There is no logic behind this thread! It's almost concerning to me when I read posts or threads that are this dumb. It really makes me wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have.

You and me both. It's actually down right scary at times.

Our offense is at it's best when we run the spread like we did against jacksonville and KC (playoffs). Pep figured that out later in the season and our offense looked rejuvenated. With all of these WR's and TE's at our helm we are perfectly fit for the spread offense. All we need to do is shore up our O line.

you all fail

half back= running back/tailback/3back

or am i misunderstanding you? (honest question)

i dont think were going to put out TE in at the HB position to run the ball, maybe the FB, 2 positon to block

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1596720-breaking-down-what-the-h-back-position-is-all-about

The Cliff notes version on it, interestingly Stanford used some H Back stuff in a non spread offense. For some reason I always think of Henry Hynoski when someone says H back.

Cause Arians runs a spread offense. At Clemson he lined up in the backfield too cause that's a spread offense. We're a west coast (no coast according to coaches) offense. I don't think a TE would be in our backfield unless Havili gets injured.

Scheme doesn't matter.. The H-back role atays the same.

Who cares about Havili's blocking!? What is in the water around here lately? I have seen a lot of lunacy around here the past couple of days and it makes me think that some of us can't appreciate a good thing for what it is.

We have a good thing going and people are concerned about personnel packages!? How about we just be thankful we have personnel to put into packages as we see fit and for how the game dictates at that moment in time? 

If the Oline plays as stout as we would like... we don't need to worry about who is on the field because they are all playmakers.

Who cares about Havili's blocking?    The coaches do.    The GM does.

We're trying to run a power based running game.    A fullback helps that immensely, and Havili can block and he can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Now, maybe with Chud,  the fullback disappears and Havili is cut.    Maybe.

But he was traded for and kept on the roster all season and is still on the roster.    So, until he's no longer on the roster, then I'm going to assume that the team wants him......   even if some here don't understand way.......

Who cares about Havili's blocking?    The coaches do.    The GM does.

We're trying to run a power based running game.    A fullback helps that immensely, and Havili can block and he can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Now, maybe with Chud,  the fullback disappears and Havili is cut.    Maybe.

But he was traded for and kept on the roster all season and is still on the roster.    So, until he's no longer on the roster, then I'm going to assume that the team wants him......   even if some here don't understand way.......

You may have misunderstood my post. I am in agreement with you. I was replying to someone who also thought that Havili and his blocking was a waste(because they want to see more 3 WR sets with all the options we have in the pass game now).

So you and me, we cool!

You may have misunderstood my post. I am in agreement with you. I was replying to someone who also thought that Havili and his blocking was a waste(because they want to see more 3 WR sets with all the options we have in the pass game now).

So you and me, we cool!

Oh.....  sorry for the mis-read!      My bad!

Appreciate you setting that straight!      :thmup:

We do have a lot of depth right now at WR and TE. I think you are going to see Josh Lenz (WR) cut. I admit I did not even know he was on the team. That saves 420K, and you may see Wesley Saunders, Mr. irrelevant cut. Saves us 645K, and he is going into his 3rd year, so if he is not in our plans to sign him after this year, might as well take the cap savings. Total of 1M cap savings never hurts.

OP has a point. We wasted a lot of possessions and telegraphed way too much every time Havili was on the field. And if the plan is to try and be a "ground and pound" team again next year, I'm going to be livid, because so far all of Grigson's moves on offense have been for that of a spread attack. Locking up another receiver before even attempting to address our biggest weakness, and most vital aspect of our offense that determines success, in the interior line. Really?

We're going out making sure the hood ordament is nice and shiny, when the engine doesn't even work yet.

"Run the ball, stop the run"

What a joke

Its called situational Football, im pretty sure pep will designate specific players in on different formations and packages. Im not worried at all, its better to have more weapons than few weapons (not to mention that pesky injury bug that plagues us on a yearly basis).

• 3 weeks later...

We do have a lot of depth right now at WR and TE. I think you are going to see Josh Lenz (WR) cut. I admit I did not even know he was on the team. That saves 420K, and you may see Wesley Saunders, Mr. irrelevant cut. Saves us 645K, and he is going into his 3rd year, so if he is not in our plans to sign him after this year, might as well take the cap savings. Total of 1M cap savings never hurts.

I hear they really like Lenz but need to develop him more.  At the very least, I think they'll keep him on PS.

OP has a point. We wasted a lot of possessions and telegraphed way too much every time Havili was on the field. And if the plan is to try and be a "ground and pound" team again next year, I'm going to be livid, because so far all of Grigson's moves on offense have been for that of a spread attack. Locking up another receiver before even attempting to address our biggest weakness, and most vital aspect of our offense that determines success, in the interior line. Really?

We're going out making sure the hood ordament is nice and shiny, when the engine doesn't even work yet.

"Run the ball, stop the run"

What a joke

Well, HBA.....   given this post of yours, I'm expecting you to be livid this year -- a lot!

Grigson and Pagano have already come out and said they plan to continue our power based running game.   We won't run more than we throw,  but the idea is to run enough to make the defense respect it and slow them up from going after Luck.

And I think Superman has repeatedly squashed the idea that you have to fix priorities during an off-season in some sort of order.

The order they get fixed in doesn't matter.    As long as they get fixed.

Hey,  I wanted Alex Mack.    Not going to happen.

But I'm not blaming the signing of Hakeem Nicks to a sub-$4mill contract on whether or not we fixed the Center position.   I'd have been * if we didn't sign Nicks because we hadn't fixed the Center yet.

I've made a number of posts saying Grigson is putting his job at risk.   If we get substandard interior line play, that puts Luck AND the running game in jeopardy.....  for a 3rd straight season.     The first year was understandable -- $80 Mill payroll.   But the last year year and this year -- not so much.    So, while I love me some Ryan Grigson, I'm no apologist.

That said....   under tremendous restraints, he's put together two teams that have won 23 games in just two years.   That earns him some credibility.    So, if he's willing to bet on Khalid Homes at Center,  then I'll back him.   But either Holmes or Costa have to deliver.

Protecting Luck is job one.   But generating a running game to make the passing game as effective as it can be is job two. (on offense)

We'll save defense for another day/post.   This one is long enough.   Apologies it went so long......

Well, HBA.....   given this post of yours, I'm expecting you to be livid this year -- a lot!

Grigson and Pagano have already come out and said they plan to continue our power based running game.   We won't run more than we throw,  but the idea is to run enough to make the defense respect it and slow them up from going after Luck.

And I think Superman has repeatedly squashed the idea that you have to fix priorities during an off-season in some sort of order.

The order they get fixed in doesn't matter.    As long as they get fixed.

Hey,  I wanted Alex Mack.    Not going to happen.

But I'm not blaming the signing of Hakeem Nicks to a sub-$4mill contract on whether or not we fixed the Center position.   I'd have been * if we didn't sign Nicks because we hadn't fixed the Center yet.

I've made a number of posts saying Grigson is putting his job at risk.   If we get substandard interior line play, that puts Luck AND the running game in jeopardy.....  for a 3rd straight season.     The first year was understandable -- $80 Mill payroll.   But the last year year and this year -- not so much.    So, while I love me some Ryan Grigson, I'm no apologist.

That said....   under tremendous restraints, he's put together two teams that have won 23 games in just two years.   That earns him some credibility.    So, if he's willing to bet on Khalid Homes at Center,  then I'll back him.   But either Holmes or Costa have to deliver.

Protecting Luck is job one.   But generating a running game to make the passing game as effective as it can be is job two. (on offense)

We'll save defense for another day/post.   This one is long enough.   Apologies it went so long......

I know what Grigson and Pagano have been saying, and they'll continue saying it. What I'm saying is, their actions thus far this off-season are not indicative of a team coming off back-to-back seasons of some of the worst interior line play in the league. A team which is also supposedly going to be a power run scheme once again. Their approach is essentially "addition by subtraction" by getting rid of Satele and McGlynn. If our interior line issues were as simple a fix as getting rid of those 2, it really only highlights the total ineptitude of the coaching that went on along the line, seeing as how those two were almost locks to start every game the past 2 seasons. 

When I look at teams desperate to improve their line play because something obviously isn't working, I look at the moves by the Giants and Falcons and I see organizations legitimately trying upgrade the talent in their greatest area of weakness. They've gone out and signed proven veterans with quality starts under their belt (Schwartz, Asamoah, Brown, Walton) and i'm willing to bet they invest a draft pick or 2 to further add to their overall depth. The Giants have similar issues as us along the line. Question marks at starting positions, be it from injuries to key starters (Beatty, Snee) or just a lack of talent at other positions. What have they done? They signed a pro bowl caliber guard in Schwartz, and a decent center and left tackle in Walton and Brown. They will have a legitimate competition for their starting LT and guard positions now, because they've at the very least acquired more players with starter potential.

What have we done? We got rid of Satele and McGlynn and are essentially HOPING that Holmes is a capable starter, and if he isn't that Costa will somehow raise his level of play with us and turn into a starting caliber center. We are HOPING that Hugh Thornton takes the next step in his development and plays at starter level this year. We are HOPING that Donald Thomas is fully recovered from 2 serious injuries and returns to the high level of play he exhibited before those injuries, and if he doesn't, we're HOPING that one of the other low-level starter/high level back-ups can step up and fill his shoes.

For an organization that has come out time and time again saying that protecting Luck is the top priority, with "run the ball, stop the run" as their mantra, that mission statement should not be based around hope that the stars align right this year. It should be based on actions to improve the talent pool around Luck, which will in turn lead to the results desired.

This may all end up working out, and Holmes will be a quality starter, Thornton will improve and Thomas will be fully recovered. It may all very well work out. All I'm saying is, nobody here can deny that what Grigson is doing right now is a big gamble on a unit that is our most urgent area of need. I don't like that at all, especially when the plan is to continue to "impose our will" on our opponents with the power run scheme. If he hasn't nailed it this off-season with the line, the ramifications of his choice to basically ignore it could result in more 2.9 YPC and league-leading hits on QB ratio for a 3rd straight season. If that happens, he's lost a ton of credibility, in my opinion, when you look at the totality his poor decisions over the past year 1/2