Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts in talks for Alex Mack (mega-merge)

vitoaf27

He was the same dancing into tackles player that he was last yr. Only difference was he had a lot of tds. All of them were no doubt under 15yrds.

I just dont think Mack is drastically better than other Cs available

Top 3 longest runs of his career so no, all of his runs weren't under 15 yards

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the Browns have more money than the Colts. Sure, the Browns could decide it's not worth it, but there's no amount the Colts could offer that the Browns couldn't match.

Sure the Brown's can outbid us, that's always on the table here. No way around it unless Mack really wants to make that much noise about it. Colts just have to come up with a number they are comfortable with, a high signing bonus strategy is probably best, as it would force them to spend a bigger chunk of that giant salary cap they have, and cross their fingers.

You know, I think whatever happens with Mack will result in a forum explosion second only to the Peyton Manning being cut day...

you clearly missed week 16 in 2009. That easily holds the number spot behind Peyton.

Honestly I think Davis got a bigger reaction than Mack will either way.

Are you agreeing that its a long thread or are you really expecting us to get Mack? Unless they come up with some crazy bizarre language in the contract that would somehow prevent Cleveland from matching and still not breaking the rules(almost impossible BTW) there's virtually ZERO chance this happens.

i was being hopelessly optimistic.   

Without going through all 8 pages, with what Mack's agent is saying about structuring a contract that the Browns won't want to match, it sounds to me like Mack doesn't want to play in Cleveland.  Otherwise he wouldn't be talking about ways he could craft an offer that the browns can't match.  

Without going through all 8 pages, with what Mack's agent is saying about structuring a contract that the Browns won't want to match, it sounds to me like Mack doesn't want to play in Cleveland.  Otherwise he wouldn't be talking about ways he could craft an offer that the browns can't match.  

Or he could simply be trying to get several teams making offers to drive up the price...

Just grab Costa. He's young, cheap and pretty good.

Is he really?  I have no idea about the guy.  I just know that the Cowboys disliked him so much that Big Jerry used a #1 to draft his replacement.  Not sure if that is just a sign of Jerry's supreme intelligence or Costa's lack of ability.  Probably a little of both I guess.  Anyone else think he is a good option?

That was pre-CBA info. I'm not sure how the CBA has affected the Transition Tag, or the ability to insert a poison pill, though.

I think it's been removed judging on some replies here, but still, some of the terms teams came up with were pretty funny/clever I thought. 

Wherever you have a system of control or restriction, people will see to circumvent it, that's human nature for you. 

Based on that my guess is that the agent is looking at their cap and thinking of a deal which might put a big cap hit in a year when they could least afford it.  And probably do it in a way to where there is a lot of guaranteed money that year too so they can't cut him or trade him to clear up the cap space.

Personally I think we should just go hard on any remaining centers that are any good.  Are EDS and BDLP still available.  Go hard at them.  Make them an offer they can't refuse.  

Based on that my guess is that the agent is looking at their cap and thinking of a deal which might put a big cap hit in a year when they could least afford it. And probably do it in a way to where there is a lot of guaranteed money that year too so they can't cut him or trade him to clear up the cap space.

Personally I think we should just go hard on any remaining centers that are any good. Are EDS and BDLP still available. Go hard at them. Make them an offer they can't refuse.

tumblr_m3u7gaYfHb1qhno78o1_500.jpg

As much as I want Mack here, this scenario is what concerns me. We put an offer in on Mack. The Browns fart around for 5 days before deciding to match it.

In the meantime, our back up plans (eds, bdlp) sign with other teams and now we're rolling into the 2014 season with Holmes or a rookie as our starter. Some people I've seen posting are for that. It scares the hell out of me.

As much as I want Mack here, this scenario is what concerns me. We put an offer in on Mack. The Browns fart around for 5 days before deciding to match it.

In the meantime, our back up plans (eds, bdlp) sign with other teams and now we're rolling into the 2014 season with Holmes or a rookie as our starter. Some people I've seen posting are for that. It scares the hell out of me.

You would assume a contingency is in place.

That was pre-CBA info. I'm not sure how the CBA has affected the Transition Tag, or the ability to insert a poison pill, though.

They cannot.  The Seahawks/Vikings debacle of 2006 virtually ended that.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-steelers-free-agency/2014/3/3/5467612/jason-worilds-nfl-transition-tag-poison-pill-clause-deal-seahawks-vikings-steve-hutchinson-2006

Is this poison pill?

Colts and Mack agree on lets say 7 mil. per year, 50 % guaranteed, for five or six years. If team doesn't earn playoff spot in first year, contract is 100% guaranteed.

Nope, because it equally applies to both sides, as each team has an equal opportunity to make the playoffs. Just REALLY ballsy. Say Luck goes down and we miss the playoffs, we eat the entire contract.

A poison pill is like what the Vikings did to Seattle with Steve Hutchinson. If he wasn't the highest paid o-lineman on the team (Walter Jones had a huge contract), his contract was guaranteed.

Is this poison pill?

Colts and Mack agree on lets say 7 mil. per year, 50 % guaranteed, for five or six years. If team doesn't earn playoff spot in first year, contract is 100% guaranteed.

Wow. That could establish a brutal precedent for top teams trying to lure talent away from weaker franchises. Of course it only matters if the team used the transition tag instead of the franchise tag. And if the player really wants to leave his current franchise enough to sign the deal.

"Saturday & Manning" : "Hack & Luck" I like "Hack N Luck" better. (Hackenbush, Hackensack, No sack with Hack, If it weren't for Hack luck I ain't got no Luck at all)

The crowd goes wild (applause)

You're welcome all viewers for this entertaining bit of wit.

Nope, because it equally applies to both sides, as each team has an equal opportunity to make the playoffs. Just REALLY ballsy. Say Luck goes down and we miss the playoffs, we eat the entire contract.

A poison pill is like what the Vikings did to Seattle with Steve Hutchinson. If he wasn't the highest paid o-lineman on the team (Walter Jones had a huge contract), his contract was guaranteed.

Bigger risk for Browns. They have 3 better opponents in division.

I agree. That's really a scary scenario.

I would assume Grigs would call around and say, "Hey EDS' agent, here's the deal...blah blah blah, wel pay you more if the browns ruin this for us, so give us 5 days b4 u sign."

"Saturday & Manning" : "Hack & Luck" I like "Hack N Luck" better. (Hackenbush, Hackensack, No sack with Hack, If it weren't for Hack luck I ain't got no Luck at all)

The crowd goes wild (applause)

You're welcome all viewers for this entertaining bit of wit.

fail

I'm all for going after EDS. He is ranked right behind Alex Mack in most of the Free Agency Rankings for Center, and the pay difference between Mack and EDS is going to be significant. I just don't think for that much more money, Mack is going to give you that much more production.

I'm all for going after EDS. He is ranked right behind Alex Mack in most of the Free Agency Rankings for Center, and the pay difference between Mack and EDS is going to be significant. I just don't think for that much more money, Mack is going to give you that much more production.

You'll pay more for Mack, but EDS only has one NFL season under his belt at Center, so you're taking a bigger risk on EDS. Fluke season at C or just that good?