Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A couple FA updates.

Dustin

Impending free agent OG Mike McGlynn is not expected back with the Colts.

The Colts' interior line was a trainwreck this season, and McGlynn was a big reason why. McGlynn looked overmatched playing out of his natural center position. Rotoworld has McGlynn ranked as the 16th best free agent center.

ESPN Colts reporter Mike Wells expects the team to prioritize re-signing free agent FS Antoine Bethea.

Having spent his entire career with Indianapolis, Wells considers Bethea the "backbone of the secondary." Bethea turns 30 before next season, but is still playing at a reasonably high level and the Colts lack a viable in-house replacement. Pro Football Focus gave Bethea a positive 2013 run defense grade, but considered him slightly sub-par in coverage. Bethea is Rotoworld's No. 4 free agent safety, behind Jairus Byrd, T.J. Ward, and Donte Whitner.

The Indy Star says the odds favor the Colts moving on from free agent ILB Pat Angerer.

Even though the Colts have a hole next to Jerrell Freeman at inside linebacker, they don't appear to believe Angerer is the answer. The 2010 second-round pick has missed 10 games over the last two seasons and Josh McNary/Kelvin Sheppard have been just as effective. Angerer's market will be cool.

ESPN Colts blogger Mike Wells believes it's "highly unlikely" free agent Ahmad Bradshaw is re-signed.

Donald Brown is a higher priority amongst the Colts' in-house free agents, while Vick Ballard (torn ACL) expects to be ready for OTAs. Trent Richardson is "set" as the Colts' "starter." Bradshaw was effective before a neck injury ended his 2013 in Week 3, but simply can't be trusted to stay healthy. Although he's still only 28 (in March) Bradshaw is unlikely to find any guaranteed money in free agency.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realistically we do need to move on from all of those guys.  We could maybe justify keeping Bethea around for another year or 2 as a stopgap until we can find a younger safety that is better in coverage.  

I don't think you can justify keeping the rest of those guys around.  

Unless that is you wanted to go cheap and just get a new guard, move McGlynn to Center, dump Satele and dump the rest of the money and the draft picks into an entirely new defense.  

Or you could get a new center, stick with Thorton as your starter at guard and dump the rest of the money on the defense.  

The only FA that is a lock to be re-signed is Vontae Davis. The market will be high for him but Grigson gave up some draft picks to bring him here and he is high on him and won't let him walk away.  Plus Vontae wants to stay here.. I think he likes being close to his alma mater.

Naturally, I hope Pat is a lock too. And I'm all in favor of letting him try kicking and punting both. On Madden for my franchise team I made him Kicker and Punter and he has performed greatly for me so since it worked in madden it has to work in real life. *Sarcasm intended for those who take things a little too literally*

The only FA that is a lock to be re-signed is Vontae Davis. The market will be high for him but Grigson gave up some draft picks to bring him here and he is high on him and won't let him walk away.  Plus Vontae wants to stay here.. I think he likes being close to his alma mater.

Naturally, I hope Pat is a lock too. And I'm all in favor of letting him try kicking and punting both. On Madden for my franchise team I made him Kicker and Punter and he has performed greatly for me so since it worked in madden it has to work in real life. *Sarcasm intended for those who take things a little too literally*

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise that you were talking about McAfee, not Angerer!  :jump:

Ehh you have to have a kicker on the roster too because he doubles as the backup punter.

Think of it this way.  You make Pat the kicker and the punter and he gets injured.  Then we have to try and finish a game with neither a kicker or a punter. 

That said I would be ok with giving him some longer range shots that maybe Adam V doesn't have the leg for.  Assuming we re-sign him.

I think we should bring Bradshaw on an incentives contract. If he gets hurt again, he doesn't get paid what he could if he's playing. 

When he played, he did very well for us. 

Brown doesn't deserve a big pay day from us, and that's what he'll be looking for. Keep Herron and Choice. 

I think we should after another safety in FA. I like Bethea a lot in run coverage, but he's lost more than a step in pass Coverage. 

Good bye Angerer. Not sad about that. 

I think McGlynn should be kept but only as backup Center. Or maybe even start if Holmes doesn't pan out. All I know is Satele should be parking cars in a garage anywhere except Indy. 

Ehh you have to have a kicker on the roster too because he doubles as the backup punter.

Think of it this way.  You make Pat the kicker and the punter and he gets injured.  Then we have to try and finish a game with neither a kicker or a punter. 

That said I would be ok with giving him some longer range shots that maybe Adam V doesn't have the leg for.  Assuming we re-sign him.

That is true. Maybe after Vinatieri retires we don't sign such a high profile kicker though. Just someone who could fill in in a pinch.

Pat (McAfee for those confused.. Seriously lets just quit talking about Angerer because he really isn't even worth coming up in conversation) may be unbreakable though. I mean the guy lays the wood 

Bethea should not be resigned, he's a good in the box safety but he can't cover and doesn't have ball awareness. One play that comes to mind is against the Texans when Andre Johnson ran a post route and Bethea had a running start on him by 5 yards, but he still let the ball go over his head and Johnson caught it for a TD. That play was the last straw for me, we need a safety that has range and Bethea doesn't have it.

Bethea should not be resigned, he's a good in the box safety but he can't cover and doesn't have ball awareness. One play that comes to mind is against the Texans when Andre Johnson ran a post route and Bethea had a running start on him by 5 yards, but he still let the ball go over his head and Johnson caught it for a TD. That play was the last straw for me, we need a safety that has range and Bethea doesn't have it.

I'd love to get Byrd so we could finally have a ball hawk S but it will never happen

Why can't we just let Donald walk and keep Bradshaw as our third guy.

Because that is really only 2 1/2 guys. No faith at all in Bradshaw staying healthy.. everyone keeps saying he is solid and yea he is but he hasn't ever shown he can be healthy. And with Richardson doing what he did and Ballard coming back from ACL then we need a solid guy who can take a workload for a "just in case" scenario that Richardson doesn't pan out like everyone hopes

If we were to get Byrd i think we would be the co favorites to make it to the superbowl in the AFC. He's just that great of a player but he'll cost a lot, unlikely to happen but you never know with Grigson.

I'd love to get Byrd so we could finally have a ball hawk S but it will never happen

If we were to get Byrd i think we would be the co favorites to make it to the superbowl in the AFC. He's just that great of a player but he'll cost a lot, unlikely to happen but you never know with Grigson.

That's what I'm sayin I'd go after him a C and a guard and grab a D Linemen and CB in the draft

That's what I'm sayin I'd go after him a C and a guard and grab a D Linemen and CB in the draft

Hmm I wonder how much cap space would likely be eaten up if we signed say Byrd, Brian De La Puente, and Travelle Wharton? It's fun to imagine, but we'd still have to sort out the ILB situation somehow. 

Why can't we just let Donald walk and keep Bradshaw as our third guy.

I guess you didn't see any of the 2013 Season?!?

You can sign-up for to watch replays at your convenience over at NFL.com...

Once you see our season,  you'll know why there's interest in Brown and much, much less (if any?) in Bradshaw.

Hope this helps....

Because that is really only 2 1/2 guys. No faith at all in Bradshaw staying healthy.. everyone keeps saying he is solid and yea he is but he hasn't ever shown he can be healthy. And with Richardson doing what he did and Ballard coming back from ACL then we need a solid guy who can take a workload for a "just in case" scenario that Richardson doesn't pan out like everyone hopes

If he is our third option he should be able to stay healthy of he's not the main guy.

Unless he's made of glass.

Once you see our season,  you'll know why there's interest in Brown and much, much less (if any?) in Bradshaw.

Hope this helps....

I'm not into throwing big money at Brown.. He had one good season after three failures. Hell get paid somewhere else and get buried in the depth chart.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise that you were talking about McAfee, not Angerer!  :jump:

Angerer kicking kind of made me chuckle in class just now. In reality, I hate to see him go. I had high hopes for him after the lost season, the just never materialized

Hope this helps....

There are a lot of backs that can do what Brown did for us last year. I'm happy that he had a decent year, but it's okay to move on.

I'd rather have Bethea and Bradshaw resigned, Bethea is a key part of the secondary when he's playing well and Bradshaw plays like a beast when healthy.

When he is playing well? chuckle

Antoine has NEVER been a Positive against the pass.

YOU/we have watched him make a lot of tackles because we had weak to poor tackles and Freeney and Mathis getting abused against the run in front of him.

Antoine ONLY got acclaim because he was on TV a lot and road the coattails of a popular team.

He is decent at best as a SS and a Rookie could be playing better than him as a FS by the last half of the season.

YES, we will keep him and pay HIM Millions more than is necessary for a good replacement.

Our GM went after Satele, McGlynn, made Cherilus the highest paid, gave Toler $5M though he had a mixed prior career with never having played more than 12 games etc. 

We could go on at length about our knucklehead GM.

There are a lot of backs that can do what Brown did for us last year. I'm happy that he had a decent year, but it's okay to move on.

You really think that?    Seriously?

Wow,  this is going to be a rare disagreement for us.

I don't think there are more than a handful of guys who can do that for the Colts and the rest of them are signed with other teams.    If you think it won't be hard to replace Brown with another guy who can do the same for less money,  I'd sure like to know who those guys are?!    I don't see them out there.

Are they free agents?   How old are they?   Are they on the upside or downside of their career?

Don't get me wrong, if DB wants too much, then I'm willing to let him go.   But I'm also willing to pay him decent money to keep him and use him as we did last year....  as a 1a to TR's 1.  (or Ballard as the 1 if need be)

But I think Brown -- when used properly -- can be a key part to our offense.

I don't see him as an easily replaceable guy.....

sergio brown then great

No to donald

Perfect.

The guy I've responded to doesn't answer my post to explain his thinking.   But he clicks the "like" button to approve of your response, which also doesn't explain the reasoning.

Oh....... Kay.................      Whatever..........

These are just opinions by RotoWorld people...They dont mean nothing folks. Dont take them as facts. Its humorous that Wells considers Bethea the backbone of the Secondary though

These are just opinions by RotoWorld people...They dont mean nothing folks. Dont take them as facts. Its humorous that Wells considers Bethea the backbone of the Secondary though

Well....

They may not be facts,  but this is a lot more than opinions of Rotoworld people....

There are also opinions of people who cover the team for ESPN.com as well as IndyStar.     So, there's more there than just fantasy people spouting off....

I'd rather have Bethea and Bradshaw resigned, Bethea is a key part of the secondary when he's playing well and Bradshaw plays like a beast when healthy.

Key words for Bradshaw "when healthy"

Although I'll give him a pass this year cause that hit Whitner put on him would've injured anyone. That hit could've paralyzed him. I say give him another 1 year deal

When he is playing well? chuckle

Antoine has NEVER been a Positive against the pass.

YOU/we have watched him make a lot of tackles because we had weak to poor tackles and Freeney and Mathis getting abused against the run in front of him.

Antoine ONLY got acclaim because he was on TV a lot and road the coattails of a popular team.

He is decent at best as a SS and a Rookie could be playing better than him as a FS by the last half of the season.

YES, we will keep him and pay HIM Millions more than is necessary for a good replacement.

Our GM went after Satele, McGlynn, made Cherilus the highest paid, gave Toler $5M though he had a mixed prior career with never having played more than 12 games etc. 

We could go on at length about our knucklehead GM.

Yes, Bethea's best days are behind him but he was still very much a key part of the old Colts/the defense right now no matter how terrible he was this year. Grigs is a good GM but yes I do agree he overpaid some of these guys that he signed and half of them this year just didn't turn out well but I have faith he will build a team that's damn great.

Key words for Bradshaw "when healthy"

Although I'll give him a pass this year cause that hit Whitner put on him would've injured anyone. That hit could've paralyzed him. I say give him another 1 year deal

He picked apart the Niners before he got injured and I applauded that. He runs hard when it counts and yes I'd like to keep him as a special back in situations but I think he deserves a starting job somewhere, he's a good back like I said, "when healthy." I'd also give him one more year but I doubt he'll be resigned, he's not as big as a priority to resign compared to Vontae Davis and such.

I really hope we release Bethea and sign Byrd. Miles and miles of differences at the FS postion. I can't imagine a secondary with Byrd, Landry, Davis, and even Toler. Legion of Boom in Indy?? Dare to dream tho, we will probably just sign mediocre players and pay them 4-8 million a year. Makes perfect sense smh  :thmup: