Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Current Powerhouses wont last long...

bap1331

Seahawks: Big paydays coming for that defense. Bennet is first...then Sherman, then Thurman. Lets not forgot that Wilson deserves his share and so the recievers. That is going to eat a lot of cap space

49ers: Half the team is leaving after this year. They have to take advantage with what they have and do something this year or their dominating franchise is over...

Broncos: Maybe Peyton has reached his prime? Its going to be so hard for him to bounce back after this loss. His mentality was way in outerspace and hes not getting any younger...

Patriots: Brady is not getting any younger either...

Saints: They have absolutely no cap space. I think they have like 170,000 to spend. Not even enough to pay a kicker...This organization is going to have to do some serious restructuring...

What do you think? I think its a huge advantage for the Colts. We need to seriously put something together this year because we have a huge chance for a dynasty not only now, but definitely when Brady and Peyton retire...

We know (not personally) it's tough to get back to the SB twice. I don't see Seattle going back next year nor Denver, though I did pick both this year. Good thing about football it is different every year unlike the NBA even though this year the Pacers are going to smash the Heat in the East Finals.

You know something weird? I think in this superbowl any of the other teams in the NFl would have played better than Denver. 

completely agreed! It was so disappointing to see Denver today and I imagined all game, what would it have been like to have Luck and the Colts in the SB...

Mathis would have pressured Russell Wilson and probably turned the game around. And Luck would tire the defense out with his running and throwing to TY Hilton. Ugh...so many possibilities...

I disagree with this.

Seattle's defense is a monster and they are going to very tough in the following seasons.

The Saints are one running back, a few offensive linemen, cutting Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins away from reaching the NFC Championship again. The defense has improved drastically under Rob Ryan. They were ranked #3 overall this season and played very impressive but they still have a few problems. The main one is the fact Roman Harper (and Malcolm Jenkins) is still on the team, and besides that, they still have problems getting turnovers. The front defensive line is much improved and they got a lot of sacks this year, I was proud of them.

On offense the Saints main issue all year long was protecting Brees. That's why they struggled so much against teams that can blitz like the Jets, Rams, and Panthers. They need to improve the O-line fast, and plus they need a running back. Not that there is anything wrong with Mark Ingram, but Pierre Thomas is getting old and they need a new one. The other main problem is Brees forcing 70% of his passes to Jimmy Graham, but that's a whole other topic in itself.

I don't exactly consider the 49ers a powerhouse. Their defense has been struggling a lot when they play teams that aren't afraid to go deep. You saw it when they played the Saints, Seahawks and even the Cardinals were completing deep balls on them. Plus their offense is pretty much a joke as long as Colin "I throw the ball in triple coverage" Kaepernick is still the quarterback. I look for them to take a huge dive next season with Kaepernick.

Denver is toast. Weak schedule, terrible defense, and get annihilated when they finally go toe to toe with a real top tier team. Next year they probably have a tougher schedule, same result. I expect a first round exit in the playoffs.

I do agree with New England though but not exactly because of Brady. They were screwed before the season even started by losing Hernandez. That ultimately killed their chances from day one. Not Wes Welker, he was expendable, but losing their new coming TE, and then all the injuries stacking up, Brady has been very impressive with no one to throw to. Plus that defense is a joke when they play good teams. If anything injuries are going to kill them in the future.

You know who is going to rise up in the future? Carolina if they put more playmakers around Newton and keep improving their defense. The Rams are a few good players away from competing for the division over Seattle. I expect the Rams to be a solid team in a few years, they already have the defense in the making.

Can we all agree that the NFC has the AFC beat? It wouldn't have mattered who made it to the Super Bowl for the AFC, the same result would have happened tonight. The real Super Bowl was the NFC Championship, just like it was in 2009 and 2010.

I disagree with this.

What? It makes perfect sense if you throw out stuff like logic.

"All the teams that are good now won't be good in a couple years 'cause all their players will want big salaries! Team dismantled!"

"Yeah, we should build a really strong team!! That way we can be a dynasty for like, 10 YEARS!!"

Completely missing the hypocrisy. And obviously not knowing what crap teams now will be good in 2-3 years.

Seahawks: Big paydays coming for that defense. Bennet is first...then Sherman, then Thurman. Lets not forgot that Wilson deserves his share and so the recievers. That is going to eat a lot of cap space

49ers: Half the team is leaving after this year. They have to take advantage with what they have and do something this year or their dominating franchise is over...

Broncos: Maybe Peyton has reached his prime? Its going to be so hard for him to bounce back after this loss. His mentality was way in outerspace and hes not getting any younger...

Saints: They have absolutely no cap space. I think they have like 170,000 to spend. Not even enough to pay a kicker...This organization is going to have to do some serious restructuring...

What do you think? I think its a huge advantage for the Colts. We need to seriously put something together this year because we have a huge chance for a dynasty not only now, but definitely when Brady and Peyton retire...

Don't forget about Earl Thomas for the Seahawks.

The Seahawks will have to pay some players and there will be the usual churn that all teams go through, but this team was built largely on lower round picks and UDFAs. GM John Schneider is a genius at finding overlooked players who fit the profile they are looking for (fast, physical, hungry) and they are then coached up by Carroll and his staff to get the most out them. That's a recipe for sustained success.

I don't know who's contracts are running out with the Seahawks but they might be able to hold this team together next year but the year after that it's gonna be tough.  

Percy Harvin's cap hit increases next year from 4.9 million to 13.4 million.

Sherman's on a contract year next year.

To be frank it's very difficult to hold a championship team together for very long in this league.  

The salary cap ensures that in order to get that team together you generally have to draft well and even if you've done that you can't keep that team you've drafted together for very long because they all want to get paid and you can't afford to pay them all. 

The Seahawks only have 3 million in cap space for 2014 and have several free agents.  They will either have to let them all go and fill those spots with someone else or they will have to cut some of their bigger contracts in order to keep these guys.

I actually look at this Seattle team like the old Patroits...Russell Wilson the new Tom Brady. Just ice water in his veins...and a defense that is physical, hard hitting, talented, and tackles well. They have a few pieces they will lose but my gosh they are soo loaded it isn't funny...and imagine Percy Harvin with 16 games??? They are going to be around for a long time. They can stagger the contracts in a couple years to stay cap friendly....to be honest what is eating up their cap...are people that aren't even big contributors like TE and a couple of their rotational DL guys. They are good for a repeat or even 3 peat. It will be interesting if they face any adversity next year to some of their leaders like their safeties or sherman or Wilson...if they keep that core healthy and suspension free..they will have a great chance to be back. I think people are kidding themselves if they think they will suddenly lose everyone to FA...this team could have much the same guys for the next 3-4 yrs easily and a lot for the next 5-7yrs.

I actually look at this Seattle team like the old Patroits...Russell Wilson the new Tom Brady. Just ice water in his veins...and a defense that is physical, hard hitting, talented, and tackles well. They have a few pieces they will lose but my gosh they are soo loaded it isn't funny...and imagine Percy Harvin with 16 games??? They are going to be around for a long time. They can stagger the contracts in a couple years to stay cap friendly....to be honest what is eating up their cap...are people that aren't even big contributors like TE and a couple of their rotational DL guys. They are good for a repeat or even 3 peat. It will be interesting if they face any adversity next year to some of their leaders like their safeties or sherman or Wilson...if they keep that core healthy and suspension free..they will have a great chance to be back. I think people are kidding themselves if they think they will suddenly lose everyone to FA...this team could have much the same guys for the next 3-4 yrs easily and a lot for the next 5-7yrs.

They are good for a repeat or 3 peat? Doubtful....although I am sure they will contend for several years to come. I like Wilson, but comparing him to Brady is over the top. He didn't play particularly well in the previous two playoff games and the team had a 28 point lead in the SB before he even broke the century mark.

We know (not personally) it's tough to get back to the SB twice. I don't see Seattle going back next year nor Denver, though I did pick both this year. Good thing about football it is different every year unlike the NBA even though this year the Pacers are going to smash the Heat in the East Finals.

It's usually because other teams will pick their coaching staff apart for hirings.

The Seahawks look to be good for a while.

Sounds like sour grapes.

Sounds like jealousy.

Sounds like someone's hating!!

And why is everyone comparing QB s to Wilson. All the disparaging remarks. Trying to discredit him as ssub par???

Wilson did what he had to do. He did his job. He didn't throw any picks and he answered the lone broncos score.

The Seahawks were hands down the best team in the league this year. Will they stay that way forever...

No... Nothing lasts forever. Everything will perish. Even the sun and along with it.... The Earth.

So what's the point of these threads?

All I know is the Colts beat the best teams of the league! We are on a good path!

All I know is the Colts beat the best teams of the league! We are on a good path!

Colts were the hardest to figure out last year. Beat the two SB teams and a couple other good ones. Got blown out a couple times by playoff and non-playoff teams. Erases one of the biggest deficits in postseason history, gets stomped the next week. Quarter by quarter, half by half, week by week, you never knew what Colt team was gonna show up.

Your QB is a good analogy for the whole team. Luck is as likely to throw 5 picks as he is to throw 5 TDs. It's weird.

I didn't realize the Seahawks were in such a tight spot capwise. They are actually projected over the cap right now, and they have at least 6 contributors hitting FA this year. Bennett, McQuistan, Tate, Hauschka, Thurmond, McDaniel, Baldwin, Robinson... It's a good thing they made it happen this year, because they won't be as deep and loaded as they are right now.

They'll probably restructure Harvin, who is due $11m in base salary, maybe release Sidney Rice and Zach Miller (that's an extra $9m in cap space right there), maybe restructure Okung's deal... They have some moves they can make, but that's a really tough situation they have.

I didn't realize the Seahawks were in such a tight spot capwise. They are actually projected over the cap right now, and they have at least 6 contributors hitting FA this year. Bennett, McQuistan, Tate, Hauschka, Thurmond, McDaniel, Baldwin, Robinson... It's a good thing they made it happen this year, because they won't be as deep and loaded as they are right now.

They'll probably restructure Harvin, who is due $11m in base salary, maybe release Sidney Rice and Zach Miller (that's an extra $9m in cap space right there), maybe restructure Okung's deal... They have some moves they can make, but that's a really tough situation they have.

were you get this information from? would like to look at other teams and that i can belive how cheap they are gettin kam chancellor talk about bargain

I was just thinking.  Anyone else think the rookie wage scale has actually hurt teams in this salary cap era.  I mean a team signs rookies for cheap.  Now they can play them more and not worry about losing big money from it.  These rookies perform and when it comes time to pay them, the rookies have more legs to stand on to demand these bigger pays.  Plus you then have the veterans who know, now that rookies get paid cheap, there is more money to go around.  Its sort of a salary cap inflation.  More money means teams can and will probably spend a little more than they were use to, to get a player of a certain calibre.  Indy is an extreme, but prime example.  You now have to deal with these vets that have inflated contracts and rookies that are coming off of their rookie contracts.  Its good at first, but bad in the end because you have to restructure a lot or gut some key positions.

were you get this information from? would like to look at other teams and that i can belive how cheap they are gettin kam chancellor talk about bargain

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Seahawks&Year=2013

treat-to-self-2.jpg

Kam Chancellor is in the first year of a pretty pricey extension. The cap hit this year wasn't that high, but he's making $7m/year, which is more than we signed Landry for.

I was just thinking.  Anyone else think the rookie wage scale has actually hurt teams in this salary cap era.  I mean a team signs rookies for cheap.  Now they can play them more and not worry about losing big money from it.  These rookies perform and when it comes time to pay them, the rookies have more legs to stand on to demand these bigger pays.  Plus you then have the veterans who know, now that rookies get paid cheap, there is more money to go around.  Its sort of a salary cap inflation.  More money means teams can and will probably spend a little more than they were use to, to get a player of a certain calibre.  Indy is an extreme, but prime example.  You now have to deal with these vets that have inflated contracts and rookies that are coming off of their rookie contracts.  Its good at first, but bad in the end because you have to restructure a lot or gut some key positions.

You have to think longer term, actually. The rookie wage scale prevents holdouts from younger players, so you'll have star players not reaching free agency until Year 4 of their careers, many of them will be 25-27 years old, and they'll only hit free agency once in their careers. And with the limited earning for rookies suppressed, a little extra to vets will be fine. But so far, that hasn't been the case. Yes, some guys get overpaid, but teams have been sort of restrained with their spending the past couple years, partially because the first year of wage scale draftees hasn't hit free agency yet. 

Lots of moving parts and things that haven't quite been figured out yet, but I don't think this will lead to inflated salaries at all. I think it will help hold them in check, actually, with the exception of the really premium players at premium positions (QBs, WRs, pass rushers, etc.)

We'll see

You have to think longer term, actually. The rookie wage scale prevents holdouts from younger players, so you'll have star players not reaching free agency until Year 4 of their careers, many of them will be 25-27 years old, and they'll only hit free agency once in their careers. And with the limited earning for rookies suppressed, a little extra to vets will be fine. But so far, that hasn't been the case. Yes, some guys get overpaid, but teams have been sort of restrained with their spending the past couple years, partially because the first year of wage scale draftees hasn't hit free agency yet. 

Lots of moving parts and things that haven't quite been figured out yet, but I don't think this will lead to inflated salaries at all. I think it will help hold them in check, actually, with the exception of the really premium players at premium positions (QBs, WRs, pass rushers, etc.)

Guess it will just be interesting to see how it plays out.  Its like back when there wasnt a salary cap.  Those teams with enough money were handing it out.  We did it, just not to players that deserve it.  Im sure it will even back out, but i think its going to cause some ripples for sure when its first starts out.

The Seahawks look to be good for a while.

Sounds like sour grapes.

Sounds like jealousy.

Sounds like someone's hating!!

And why is everyone comparing QB s to Wilson. All the disparaging remarks. Trying to discredit him as ssub par???

Wilson did what he had to do. He did his job. He didn't throw any picks and he answered the lone broncos score.

The Seahawks were hands down the best team in the league this year. Will they stay that way forever...

No... Nothing lasts forever. Everything will perish. Even the sun and along with it.... The Earth.

So what's the point of these threads?

Sounds like you are reading way to much into this discussion. The cap is designed to prevent a dynasty. Nobody is hating on Seattle.

We'll see

Guess it will just be interesting to see how it plays out.  Its like back when there wasnt a salary cap.  Those teams with enough money were handing it out.  We did it, just not to players that deserve it.  Im sure it will even back out, but i think its going to cause some ripples for sure when its first starts out.

Lots of unanswered questions at this point. I'm anxious to see what the Panthers do with Newton. They have a 5th year option on him that they have to exercise this year, or they can do a long-term extension. We'll be in the same spot with Luck next year.

The drafted players from the first year of the new CBA aren't free agents until next year. We'll have a lot more information after that.

Something I'm still trying to wrap my mind around is last year's free agency. There were some weird situations with certain players and certain positions, leading to some claims of collusion. I don't think there was actual collusion, but I do think there was something weird about the way team's approached free agency. I wonder if that will carry over to this year.

Lots of unanswered questions at this point. I'm anxious to see what the Panthers do with Newton. They have a 5th year option on him that they have to exercise this year, or they can do a long-term extension. We'll be in the same spot with Luck next year.

The drafted players from the first year of the new CBA aren't free agents until next year. We'll have a lot more information after that.

Something I'm still trying to wrap my mind around is last year's free agency. There were some weird situations with certain players and certain positions, leading to some claims of collusion. I don't think there was actual collusion, but I do think there was something weird about the way team's approached free agency. I wonder if that will carry over to this year.

Certain positions i can understand because teams may have been fine in those positions.  But other ones got serious paydays.  Didnt OLine have a big year this year as far as contracts? 

I disagree with this.

Seattle's defense is a monster and they are going to very tough in the following seasons.

The Saints are one running back, a few offensive linemen, cutting Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins away from reaching the NFC Championship again. The defense has improved drastically under Rob Ryan. They were ranked #3 overall this season and played very impressive but they still have a few problems. The main one is the fact Roman Harper (and Malcolm Jenkins) is still on the team, and besides that, they still have problems getting turnovers. The front defensive line is much improved and they got a lot of sacks this year, I was proud of them.

On offense the Saints main issue all year long was protecting Brees. That's why they struggled so much against teams that can blitz like the Jets, Rams, and Panthers. They need to improve the O-line fast, and plus they need a running back. Not that there is anything wrong with Mark Ingram, but Pierre Thomas is getting old and they need a new one. The other main problem is Brees forcing 70% of his passes to Jimmy Graham, but that's a whole other topic in itself.

I don't exactly consider the 49ers a powerhouse. Their defense has been struggling a lot when they play teams that aren't afraid to go deep. You saw it when they played the Saints, Seahawks and even the Cardinals were completing deep balls on them. Plus their offense is pretty much a joke as long as Colin "I throw the ball in triple coverage" Kaepernick is still the quarterback. I look for them to take a huge dive next season with Kaepernick.

Denver is toast. Weak schedule, terrible defense, and get annihilated when they finally go toe to toe with a real top tier team. Next year they probably have a tougher schedule, same result. I expect a first round exit in the playoffs.

I do agree with New England though but not exactly because of Brady. They were screwed before the season even started by losing Hernandez. That ultimately killed their chances from day one. Not Wes Welker, he was expendable, but losing their new coming TE, and then all the injuries stacking up, Brady has been very impressive with no one to throw to. Plus that defense is a joke when they play good teams. If anything injuries are going to kill them in the future.

You know who is going to rise up in the future? Carolina if they put more playmakers around Newton and keep improving their defense. The Rams are a few good players away from competing for the division over Seattle. I expect the Rams to be a solid team in a few years, they already have the defense in the making.

Can we all agree that the NFC has the AFC beat? It wouldn't have mattered who made it to the Super Bowl for the AFC, the same result would have happened tonight. The real Super Bowl was the NFC Championship, just like it was in 2009 and 2010.

Actually their running back is going to be fine, did you see the last game of the year?

Khiry Robinson looks like a beast, now the Saints are wishing they had played him more often throughout the year. The guy does not lose yards, he falls forward each carry. 

I do agree the Saints need to fix that O-Line or Drew Brees will be retiring next year...he gets hit way too many times.

Seattle is going to be the powerhouse for another year until contracts come up this upcoming year.

Don't forget they are not paying an arm and a leg for a QB for another year I believe. I'm sure Russell knows that he is not worth 20 mil a year, he is not going to get a big payday because that organization knows they will be fine with any QB's at helm to get them into the playoffs. That defense is going to be that good.

Everyone keeps forgetting about the Cardinals, that team is going to be very good this upcoming year, this last year they were impressive, but next year both the 49ers and the Seahawks need to watch out for this team.

Every season has a new story. Right now the NFC is all the rage and quite frankly the Broncos beatdown makes the AFC look horrible. But, when the Colts were healthier and playing physical football they managed to beat BOTH SF and Seattle. Not saying we win a rematch....it can happen though. You can't play patty cake with those guys though.

I expect the NFC to have more contending teams in it again, absolutely. In the AFC right now I favor NE (if they get weapons for Brady developed or find them somewhere) and then the Colts. Just getting Allen back at TE alone is going to change the dynamic of our offense as well as Wayne. We have a lot of loose ends....but I think if we can get a bye week in the playoffs we have a legit shot. It will come down to me on if we are seeded under or over the Patriots again.

I don't think Denver will go back. They have too many physical teams on their schedule and the SB loser just about never makes it back. An x factor team or two will have to emerge in the AFC. I am not high on Cincy either and they lost coaches. Steelers might be the X factor team right now for me.

If the Saints get homefield they are the one team who could break up the Seattle/SF love affair. Anyone else I don't have much hope in for right now outside of maybe Arizona and even the Rams are a team to watch out for, that division is loaded. GB seems like a lost cause every year again until proven otherwise and the NFC East is a joke. Carolina maybe can do it too.

They are good for a repeat or 3 peat? Doubtful....although I am sure they will contend for several years to come. I like Wilson, but comparing him to Brady is over the top. He didn't play particularly well in the previous two playoff games and the team had a 28 point lead in the SB before he even broke the century mark.

I think he meant "Brady 2001", which is a point that I've been thinking about today.

If Wilson plays exactly the same way that he did today and the Panthers win three in a row, how is everyone going to respond to the "he's the best QB in history - all that counts is rings" comments.

For Colts fans it will be Brady/Manning all over again. :sigh:

Pats fans won't like it much either. ;)

For now I'm somewhat happy for Seattle. I like Wilson and the city has been starved for champions. I just remind myself - with all the dynasty talk - that I liked the Patriots in 2001 too. :omg:

Certain positions i can understand because teams may have been fine in those positions.  But other ones got serious paydays.  Didnt OLine have a big year this year as far as contracts? 

Not really. 2012 was the big year for offensive linemen. I think the OL contracts this year were slightly less than what people expected, but not by much. 

I think the rookie wage scale under the new CBA is perfect. You may have to pay a little more long-term, but the idea is to avoid backing up a Brinks truck to the front doors of guys like Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young. Make these guys prove they're gamers before they get $50M guaranteed. 

It's an aspect of the NFL that's really interesting to me... running a team's fiscal matters. Front offices and owners have to be smart, and doing it right gets you a competitive advantage. There are always creative ways to manipulate the cap and cap space, and how teams deal with that business side of football is now a contributing factor to success and failure. 

Every season has a new story. Right now the NFC is all the rage and quite frankly the Broncos beatdown makes the AFC look horrible. But, when the Colts were healthier and playing physical football they managed to beat BOTH SF and Seattle. Not saying we win a rematch....it can happen though. You can't play patty cake with those guys though.

I expect the NFC to have more contending teams in it again, absolutely. In the AFC right now I favor NE (if they get weapons for Brady developed or find them somewhere) and then the Colts. Just getting Allen back at TE alone is going to change the dynamic of our offense as well as Wayne. We have a lot of loose ends....but I think if we can get a bye week in the playoffs we have a legit shot. It will come down to me on if we are seeded under or over the Patriots again.

I don't think Denver will go back. They have too many physical teams on their schedule and the SB loser just about never makes it back. An x factor team or two will have to emerge in the AFC. I am not high on Cincy either and they lost coaches. Steelers might be the X factor team right now for me.

If the Saints get homefield they are the one team who could break up the Seattle/SF love affair. Anyone else I don't have much hope in for right now outside of maybe Arizona and even the Rams are a team to watch out for, that division is loaded. GB seems like a lost cause every year again until proven otherwise and the NFC East is a joke. Carolina maybe can do it too.

word on Arizona, & St. Louis...

NFC West will be a battle & it wouldn't surprise me for either of those teams to push Seattle & san Fran...

funny not so very long ago the AFC was loaded with Pats, Indy, Pitt, Balt, running the show, now it's all NFC...

The Colts just also might be in the cap space trouble in two years. Luck, TY, Allen, Fleener, Ballard, Chapman, etc. rookie contracts will run out. 

As far as I can tell thus far, Fleener, Ballard and Chapman are all productive but replaceable.  

So if we have to make tough choices I think we can let those 3 walk and be ok.  

That having been said we still have 2 more years before we can say for certain.  If Allen doesn't come back from injury well that could certainly change things for example.

The Seahawks and 49ers will both be powerhouses for the next 4 to 5 years because their young and they draft well. The Patriots will for another 2 years because their in a easy division amd their getting a lot of players back from injury. 

The Broncos are a different story i think their window of getting back to the superbowl is closed. Their an old team at key positions and are gonna lose some top players in free agency. They also have one of the toughest schedules having to play the NFC west, Patriots, Colts, Bengals, Chargers 2x, and Chiefs 2x. I don't see them winning more then 10 games this year which means they won't have a 1st round bye. I think the Patriots, Colts, and Bengals will be one of the teams that are in the superbowl from the AFC next year vs the 49ers or Seahawks,

When the power rankings come out in late August the teams you list will be ranked 1-5.

The Broncos by far have the most issues because of the FA situation and the guys they will lose and have to sign. Other then them the other teams will be right there contending. Although I would swap out the Saints for the Panthers at this point.

And how is that any difference from Brady at the start of those SB runs. By the third he was really coming into his own but the first two...he was a piece of those early championships before becoming the leader and "THE" piece. I'm not saying they WILL do it but it is very very possible in the next 3 or 4 years they run off a couple more.....Wilson is a beautiful young qb...smart, makes all the throws, strong arm, agile, moves well but doesn't run to just run rather to throw, his game may not mirror Tom Brady but his mistake free game does and he seems to make the critical throws when necessary...combine that with a top ranked defense...its very hard to imagine they don't find themselves back in the next few years. Russell just seems to be a meld of Brady and Brees and I'm extremely impressed. Early years it was the Patriots running with Dillon and company and Tom just being highly efficient. I see that in Russell is all I'm saying.