Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Complete Colts FA List (w/Ages)

NewColtsFan

This list is from ESPN.com Colts beat writer Mike Wells.....

And this list is... Long!

Here's a quick list of the Colts' free-agent players. General manager Ryan Grigson will have some decisions to make because there are several players on the list who have been fixtures in the organization, so he'll have to decide if he wants to bring them back at a reduced price or cut ties with them. 

Seems like Antoine BetheaAdam VinatieriPat McAfeeDonald BrownVontae Davis and Sergio Brown will be the toughest for Grigson to decide on. And keep in mind that the Colts don’t have a first-round draft pick this year, either. 

Position/name: Age

<p>

Here's a quick list of the Colts' free-agent players. General manager Ryan Grigson will have some decisions to make because there are several players on the list who have been fixtures in the organization, so he'll have to decide if he wants to bring them back at a reduced price or cut ties with them.

Seems like Antoine Bethea, Adam Vinatieri, Pat McAfee, Donald Brown, Vontae Davis and Sergio Brown will be the toughest for Grigson to decide on. And keep in mind that the Colts don’t have a first-round draft pick this year, either.

Davis and Pat are locks to be signed

• Antoine Bethea: 29 - Only bring him back if it's a cheap deal.  I don't see him being re-signed though

• Adam Vinatieri: 41 - I'm indifferent on this one.  I love Vinny for all he's done, but he's 41.  I wouldn't mind us bringing in a new kicker this offseason

• Pat McAfee: 26 - Bring him back!!

• RB Donald Brown: 26 - Tough decision, but I say we should bring him back. 

• WR Darrius Heyward-Bey: 26 - Bring him back only for very, very cheap.  He played well on special teams and he has good character, so I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

• Mike McGlynn: 28 - Return if cheap, good depth

• RB Ahmad Bradshaw: 27 - I don't think he returns

• CB Vontae Davis: 25 - Sign him!

• G Jeff Linkenbach: 26 - Let him go

• CB Cassius Vaughn: 26 - Not a big fan of this guy.  I don't even like him as a depth guy.  I wouldn't re-sign him

• LB Pat Angerer: 26 - Injury prone, but a tackling machine.  Bring him back if cheap

• DT Aubrayo Franklin: 33 - Let him go

• DE Fili Moala: 28 - I wasn't very impressed by him.  I wouldn't bring him back

• LB Kavell Conner: 26 - Bring him back if cheap

• Sergio Brown: 25 - Good special teams guy, I'd re-sign him

• DE Ricardo Matthews: 26 - Indifferent

• LB Lawrence Sidbury: 27 - Indifferent

• CB Josh Gordy: 26 - I would like to see him back

• LB Scott Lutrus: 25 - Indifferent

• OL Joe Reitz: 26 - I wouldn't bring him back

• LB Cam Johnson: 23 - Re-sign to a cheap deal

• LB Justin Hickman: 28 - Re-sign if cheap

• DT Jeris Pendleton: 30 - Let him go

I'd ditch them all except McAfee, Davis, and Bethea. I'd like to keep Donald Brown, but with how good he's been playing, I bet he will be too expensive for the amount of depth we have.

We need to find a way to make Trent Richardson work. It sucks, but it has to be done.

Seems like Antoine BetheaAdam VinatieriPat McAfeeDonald BrownVontae Davis and Sergio Brown will be the toughest for Grigson to decide on. And keep in mind that the Colts don’t have a first-round draft pick this year, either. 

• Antoine Bethea: 29 - He's been Mr. Dependable most of his career.  I'd keep him.
  • Adam Vinatieri: 41 - 1 or 2 year deal
  • Pat McAfee: 26 - long term deal
  • RB Donald Brown: 26 - he's going to want money, if he comes back on a 3 year 10 mil contract, I'd go with that
  • WR Darrius Heyward-Bey: 26 - sorry DHB, this was your last chance unfortunately
  • Mike McGlynn: 28 - signed if moved to C
  • RB Ahmad Bradshaw: 27 -most likely not signed with the injury
  • CB Vontae Davis: 25 - definitely sign to a 3, 4 year contract
  • G Jeff Linkenbach: 26 - sign for depth
  • CB Cassius Vaughn: 26 - a lot of people say cut, but I wouldn't mind a cheap contract
  • LB Pat Angerer: 26 - I like him, but its up to the Colts
  • DT Aubrayo Franklin: 33 -veteran presence, could resign  
  • DE Fili Moala: 28 - doesnt't really matter
  • LB Kavell Conner: 26 -they don't seem to want him anyways
  • Sergio Brown: 25 - 10 year, 100 mil contract; jk probably like a 2 year, 2.5 mil deal
  • DE Ricardo Matthews: 26 -adds depth, but not necessary
  • LB Lawrence Sidbury: 27 -give him one more chance on a very cheap deal  
  • CB Josh Gordy: 26 - a 2 year, $2 million would be ok if they had to 
  • LB Scott Lutrus: 25 - doesnt need to be signed
  • OL Joe Reitz: 26 - out with the old and in with the new, let him walk
  • LB Cam Johnson: 23 - not a bad ST player, likely a resign
  • LB Justin Hickman: 28 -injury bug has struck him, only a cheap deal
  • DT Jeris Pendleton: 30 old, but anything less than 1 mil would be okay

I would keep them

What if Pat Mac makes big money? Is it worth it for a punter with so many holes to fill? I haven't followed Pat's stats this year, but it seems he's under-performed a bit lately. Was he just a middle of the road punter this year? I know he's a good guy and good in the community, but punter would be my last priority, especially if the price tag goes up.

R=Release, K=Keep

This will be the list. We have enough quantity on our team - it is time for some quality.

There's a reason only one Colt is a Pro Bowler. We need more Redding and Freeman guys (not overpaid but performing well) and less Ricky Jean-Francois and LaRon Landry (over paid, and not performing)

I like Pendleton but forgot he's already 30.  Franklin could possibly be back on another cheap 1 year deal for depth but I tend to doubt it.  I'm iffy on Ricardo Matthews.  He's show flashes of being able to get a pass rush from the 3 tech so I could see them bringing him back if they don't think they can find someone better, plus he's been very durable in his time here so that definitely works to his advantage.

I would like to see Sidbury brought back on another one year contract to see what he can do.  Maybe he can be that other pass rusher that a lot of people were hoping for.

This will be the list. We have enough quantity on our team - it is time for some quality.

There's a reason only one Colt is a Pro Bowler. We need more Redding and Freeman guys (not overpaid but performing well) and less Ricky Jean-Francois and LaRon Landry (over paid, and not performing)

RJF has been performing and has earned his contract thus far.  If Landry can stay healthy he can still make an impact.  Neither of these guys will be going anywhere this offseason.

RJF has been performing and has earned his contract thus far.  If Landry can stay healthy he can still make an impact.  Neither of these guys will be going anywhere this offseason.

And I didn't say so. But they haven't earned their pay check. Not RJF's $22M, nor Landry's $24M.

We need more quality without it being stars wanting +$40M. Like Redding and Freeman.

And I didn't say so. But they haven't earned their pay check. Not RJF's $22M, nor Landry's $24M.

We need more quality without it being stars wanting +$40M. Like Redding and Freeman.

OK just for poops and giggles, what parts of RJF's responsibilities specifically has he failed at?

The five big ones Grigson has to figure out is what he does with Davis, Bethea, Brown, McAfee, and Adam. 

He can franchise one and while I don't think he's worth the tag I think the guy that's going to get the tag is Davis to keep him off the open market followed by a long term deal to keep him here.  You might see them tag Adam just because a tag for a kicker is going to be about what you are paying Adam anyways and Adam is to the point in his career you can go year-to-year with him if you want to keep him.  Still I think Davis gets the tag because I don't think they can afford to let Davis leave because if you do you are going to have replace him with someone else.  So they will probably end over paying him a little bit to keep him here. 

I think Bethea feels like he's gone.  He's a Polian guy which is always a strike against you with a new GM.  Also I think he'll get more on the open market from another team than the Colts would be willing to pay to keep him.  Also it doesn't help him that they have another hard hitting safety in Landry already committed too.  I think you'll see them look for more of a pass coverage safety either in the draft or free agency.  Could very well be our second or third round pick. 

Brown you might get a home town discount on if the Colts are interested in keeping him.  He's made it known he likes living in Indy and has said even when he's done playing this is where he's going to live.  I also don't think Brown had a good enough season that other teams are going to be tripping over themselves to sign him.  I tend to be leery of signing guys who did nothing till their contract years but in Brown's case I think I would make an exception to that.  I think he's a very different kind of back than Ballard and T-Rich and the three of them are a very good backfield and I think you see us the Pats model of running back by committee going forward and feeding the hot hand each week.

McAfee I like a great deal and want back not just because he's good at his job but also because he's so important to the city.  Punters tend to not be that expensive but they are also easily replaceable even if you have a good one.  You might very well see Grigson elect to not spend extra on McAfee even if punters are cheap by NFL standards and draft one late or get an undrafted free agent.  Still I want him back but I don't think it's the slam dunk some think. 

Adam.  If they keep him it'll be some kind of short term deal.  He said in an interview before the playoff game that he as long as he felt like he was still helping the team he wanted to play.  So I don't think he's going to hang them up.  We'll see if Grigson wants to put money towards a kicker or just again save that money which still wouldn't be a lot but some none the less and go with a younger kicker. 

Even if we only keep a couple of those guys it will eat up a good chunk of the 30 million we have to spend.  Not enough we wont be a player in free agency but depending on who we keep it could eat up as much as a third of that 30 million. 

OK just for poops and giggles, what parts of RJF's responsibilities specifically has he failed at?

Staying healthy... If he can do what he did against Arizona more consistently, I'll agree that he's earned his pay check. But it's been an up and down year for him.

Consistency is the key. Cory Redding has been consistent for a 3 year $10.5M contract. That's what I'm missing.

Staying healthy... If he can do what he did against Arizona more consistently, I'll agree that he's earned his pay check. But it's been an up and down year for him.

Consistency is the key. Cory Redding has been consistent for a 3 year $10.5M contract. That's what I'm missing.

Yes but Cory Redding is 33 and nearing or in the twilight of his career whereas RJF is just reaching his prime so still has room to improve.  Injuries happen; they cannot be predicted and unfortunately, the player's salary cannot be adjusted to reflect the number of games he missed without putting him on IR (unless I'm missing something).  Obviously, we hope he stays healthy for the rest of his career but this was his first full year as a starter.  Perhaps his body needed to get used to the extra work he is now getting?  Fortunately, he didn't have to earn the entirety of his $22 M contract THIS YEAR.

The important thing is that he improved from week one until he got hurt....had a little setback performance wise when he first returned but then again began improving.  As I said, this was his first year in THIS hybrid defense learning this system and learning to play with these players around him, and it was his first time as a full time starter.  If what we saw from him this year is his floor and he can continue to improve over the coming years then there's no reason at all to think that he won't earn every penny of his contract by the time it's up.

Yes but Cory Redding is 33 and nearing or in the twilight of his career whereas RJF is just reaching his prime so still has room to improve.  Injuries happen; they cannot be predicted and unfortunately, the player's salary cannot be adjusted to reflect the number of games he missed without putting him on IR (unless I'm missing something).  Obviously, we hope he stays healthy for the rest of his career but this was his first full year as a starter.  Perhaps his body needed to get used to the extra work he is now getting?  Fortunately, he didn't have to earn the entirety of his $22 M contract THIS YEAR.

The important thing is that he improved from week one until he got hurt....had a little setback performance wise when he first returned but then again began improving.  As I said, this was his first year in THIS hybrid defense learning this system and learning to play with these players around him, and it was his first time as a full time starter.  If what we saw from him this year is his floor and he can continue to improve over the coming years then there's no reason at all to think that he won't earn every penny of his contract by the time it's up.

In general I agree. Though I believe, that when you over 4 years are paid $22M, the time to show it is now.

My problem is, that he got injured twice this year. I want to see more consistency.

The same goes for Vontae Davis - also the reason why I'd like him to get tagged to prove himself consistently before he's signed big money over number of years.

In general I agree. Though I believe, that when you over 4 years are paid $22M, the time to show it is now.

My problem is, that he got injured twice this year. I want to see more consistency.

The same goes for Vontae Davis - also the reason why I'd like him to get tagged to prove himself consistently before he's signed big money over number of years.

The Franchise Tag for a Corner looks to be $11,279,000.00 if Spotrac has the earnings right for the top 5 Corners for the 2014 season....I think we can sign Vontae to a longer term deal for 2.5-3 mill less on average

The Franchise Tag for a Corner looks to be $11,279,000.00 if Spotrac has the earnings right for the top 5 Corners for the 2014 season....I think we can sign Vontae to a longer term deal for 2.5-3 mill less on average

Hmm... I think he'll demand a lot. And I'd only franchise tag him because he's shown great potential but is lacking consistency. You don't pay big time money over a number of years for that. He needs to prove he can do it consistently... Then pay the man.