Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Today is playoff blackout deadline

chad72

Does seem there are tickets but its hard finding ones affordable that you could actually "SEE" the game. If I found some reasonable prices I would spend the night with my brother in Indy and me and my wife would go...but we can't justify $300 a piece tickets or more after spending over a grand on Christmas and with our most recent vet bills that was just as much as Christmas but still worth every single penny "God rest his little soul". $300 for the two in a section worth watching it from and I would be there but otherwise its hard to justify leaving a great seat in front of a 65" tv.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a big part of it is Indiana is still and always will be a basketball town first, All things being equal...Colts winning......Pacers winning.....Game on same day then Pacers win out, The prices hurt to, someone can get excellent seats for $150.00 bucks for Pacers game

Yeah, I am sure we could win a whole bunch of Super Bowls, and still, Indy would be a basketball town. 

I think a big part of it is Indiana is still and always will be a basketball town first, All things being equal...Colts winning......Pacers winning.....Game on same day then Pacers win out, The prices hurt to, someone can get excellent seats for $150.00 bucks for Pacers game

And whether anyone wants to admit it or not....we all know for a LOT of fans the Peyton Manning show was a lot more enjoyable than the grind it out football....come on...I know people are thinking it. (Please don't turn it into a PM vs Luck)

Its like who would you rather watch...Wisconsin basketball or UNLV (in the day).

It's not getting blacked out.  WTHR will buy the remaining tickets because they need the game on tv for advertising revenue.

Look for last minute media panic to scare fans into buying as many as possible so that WTHR has to spend as little as possible.

That sounds smart. I was just thinking (before reading your post) that the Television contract to the NFL pays them big bucks and they will lose lots of rating points by them not being shown locally.They should put a clause in the TV contract that protects them in these situations. Reg season, thers other games to show to put their commercials on but not playoff time.

And whether anyone wants to admit it or not....we all know for a LOT of fans the Peyton Manning show was a lot more enjoyable than the grind it out football....come on...I know people are thinking it. (Please don't turn it into a PM vs Luck)

It was but the Andrew Luck show is turning out pretty good as well......and will hopefully only get better and better, I think it has to do with price of tickets if you compare them more then anything

so much complaining about free markets and public funded stadiums. the nfl has a right to televise it's games or not, and to set ticket prices and policies for whatever reason it decides. fans have the right to buy tickets or not. if people don't buy tickets the price will come down, that's how the free market works. as far as cities paying for stadiums, businesses are given deals all the all the time to entice them to relocate or stay. why shouldn't a sports team have the same option? indianopolis wouldn't even have a team if this didn't take place when the colts left baltimore. all of this is the free market working the way it's supposed to and what made this country the best in the world!! stop complaining.

so much complaining about free markets and public funded stadiums. the nfl has a right to televise it's games or not, and to set ticket prices and policies for whatever reason it decides. fans have the right to buy tickets or not. if people don't buy tickets the price will come down, that's how the free market works. as far as cities paying for stadiums, businesses are given deals all the all the time to entice them to relocate or stay. why shouldn't a sports team have the same option? indianopolis wouldn't even have a team if this didn't take place when the colts left baltimore. all of this is the free market working the way it's supposed to and what made this country the best in the world!! stop complaining.

Then they need to build their own stadium. I'm not sure how much taxpayers paid for the Luke, but they should have some say in what goes on there.

big, cheap, high definition tv's and high prices have hurt attendance at games. but don't worry, the nfl is going to come after those peoples money also with pay per view. could people chose not to pay and have a generation of kids not growing up watching "free" football and kill their fan base? could greed kill the golden goose? decisions in the free market, love this country!

Then they need to build their own stadium. I'm not sure how much taxpayers paid for the Luke, but they should have some say in what goes on there.

why should they? if someone said they would build your dream house for you and a job for a 20 year lease at $1 a year, would you take it? it's a free market for everyone.

I have a feeling it won't be blacked out but having the biggest IU game of the season on in Bloomington & a Pacers game probably doesn't help. Factor in pricing, crappy cold, snowy weather today and tomorrow may unmotivate many who would normally buy tickets to not.

They were playing for the division at that point. The chiefs haven't beat a good team all year, that won't change Saturday

Yep losing 5 out of their last 7 isn't a great way to enter the playoffs. That being said I do think it will be a tough game, hopefully it won't. The ONLY players as a fan I'm worried about are Jamaal Charles and McCluster on ST.

why should they? if someone said they would build your dream house for you and a job for a 20 year lease at $1 a year, would you take it? it's a free market for everyone.

The leasing contract shouldn't include the option to block those same taxpayers the opportunity to view the game if all the tickets aren't sold.

Why should someone who lives all the way in Ft. Wayne have to travel over 100 miles to watch their home team play?

Not to mention the price of tickets compared to average income is ridiculous all while there is no option to lower the price.

There are several factors at work here keeping this game from being sold out.

1.  When the tickets went on sale for season ticket holders it came during the part of the season where the Colts were just playing like crud and people here were calling for people to be fired no one was thinking a deep playoff run was possible at that point so I am sure more than one person said I don't want to pay for one and done.

2.  The rule you had to buy two playoff games at once.  I don't think this was a big factor but when you factor in the above I am sure it did have a role as it just made that investment that much more.  Also I've heard it reported if you bought playoff tickets you had to commit to buying season tickets for next season in order to get a refund if the playoff game was not played.  I don't know if that's true or not as I just heard someone call in on the radio about that one.  Come to think of it he might have been talking about the Pacers season tickets policy on that one. 

3.  The fact IU and the Pacers also have home games that day that conflicts with the Colts game.  Odds are people had those tickets long before they knew the Colts were going to be in the playoffs and odds are some of those people would be buying Colts playoff tickets if they didn't already have the Pacers/IU tickets.

4.  It's right after the holidays.  People are strapped for cash.

5.  People just want to be comfortable watching the game and are waiting for others to buy tickets so they can watch it on TV.  I've heard more than one person say this week "for the price of tickets I can buy a big screen and just watch it from home." 

6.  Secondary markets have cheaper tickets you can get than buying them at face value from the Colts.  I was lucky enough to get two Colts tickets for my birthday for Sunday but they came from the fan ticket exchange on the Colts webpage.  Those tickets were cheaper than tickets that were left being sold on ticket master on the Colts webpage.  The difference is the later helps lift the blackout while what I did does not as I am just buying tickets that were already sold and I am just buying them from someone else who is selling them.  When you get tickets from stubhub, circlecitytickets or some place like that they don't help left the blackout as those tickets have already been sold and are just being re-sold.  Nothing wrong with that so don't get me wrong, again I did it myself, but that's part of the reason why tickets are struggling to be sold. 

7.  Weather and a holiday week.  People are out of town for the holidays or have been trapped by snow making buying tickets just that much more physically difficult. 

8.  Not knowing who or even when the Colts or what weekend they would play till this weekend.  I think this has also impacted the Bengals and Packers as well.  In the Packers case they didn't even know they were going to be in the playoffs till late on Sunday and in the Bengals game they were hoping for a buy and to not be playing this weekend. 

All and all like EVERYTHING in football it's normally never simple it's a combination of a whole lot of factors that has created this perfect storm.

With that said I think this game either sells out by tomorrow or it gets down to a level where WTHR will step up and buy what's left of the tickets. 

Indy is no longer a basketball city and Indiana is no longer a basketball state.

I would agree with Indy no longer being a basketball city.  I would however disagree without the rest of the state.  The further you get away from Indianapolis the more important basketball is. 

I would agree with Indy no longer being a basketball city.  I would however disagree without the rest of the state.  The further you get away from Indianapolis the more important basketball is.

IMO, it has been dying since the introduction of class basketball.

IMO, it has been dying since the introduction of class basketball.

I would agree it's not what it used to be and I would also agree class basketball has played a role in that which has almost gone hand-in-hand with the Colts becoming a good team but in small towns high school basketball is still huge and IU basketball or Purdue basketball is still king to a lot of towns outside of Indianapolis but I also think most of those people are older and in a few years the rest of the state might very well mirror Indianapolis. 

They have plenty of say in what goes on at LOS. Just not the 10-12 Sundays a year when the Colts play.

Even though I think there will ultimately be no blackout due to the TV station picking up the slack, I do have one question about how the blackout works:

If a blackout happens, does it just blackout the local viewing of the game? For example, are you able to go to a place like buffalo wild wings and watch the game still? (they are able to get the game being aired in different regions)

The free market will catch up with the NFL sooner or later.  As the price of attending a game has soared, more people are deciding that it is more economical to spend the money on a 65" flat screen TV and watch the game at home.  I love going to the games and I have had season tix for about 4 years now.  Even I am getting a little burned out with paying for parking, the high concessions at the game, and fighting with traffic to get away from the game when it's over.  I enjoy the game while I'm there but I do think about the inconveniences. 

We will be paying for the stadium for years to come.  The city has increased taxes on so many things that they say only affect visitors but it affects citizens as well.  Also, the NFL has tax exempt status with the federal government.  They bring in $8B+ a year and don't pay a dime in federal taxes. 

The free market will catch up with the NFL sooner or later.  As the price of attending a game has soared, more people are deciding that it is more economical to spend the money on a 65" flat screen TV and watch the game at home.  I love going to the games and I have had season tix for about 4 years now.  Even I am getting a little burned out with paying for parking, the high concessions at the game, and fighting with traffic to get away from the game when it's over.  I enjoy the game while I'm there but I do think about the inconveniences. 

We will be paying for the stadium for years to come.  The city has increased taxes on so many things that they say only affect visitors but it affects citizens as well.  Also, the NFL has tax exempt status with the federal government.  They bring in $8B+ a year and don't pay a dime in federal taxes. 

Not quite accurate. The NFL as a whole brings in more than $8B, but most of that money gets distributed to the teams, which pay state and federal taxes. The NFL is considered a non-profit, basically a facilitator for the individual franchises. It's worth arguing whether the NFL should be considered a non-profit with tax exempt status, but the NFL isn't getting a free pass on all the revenue that's generated.

I think the theory is that at the time that season ticket holders had to make payment for the playoff tickets, the team was playing very poorly. The team requires season ticket holders to purchase the 2 highest priced games - the divisional round and the championship game. They then refund the money for any games that aren't played to next year's season tickets. Any team in the running to win its division will send invoices out and ask for payment. The Lions even mailed the tickets out after team was eliminated from the playoffs! Since the season ticket holders own most of the inventory, them backing out leaves an excess of tickets for a team to hurry and sell. Teams don't usually find out when, where, and what time they will be playing and then there is a scramble to try to hurry and sell the tickets. The same thing happened to the Packers. Rodgers went down when the invoices came out.

I am a season ticket holder and I debated about purchasing the tickets. I waited until the last day before I went ahead and bought them. I bought my 3 seats even though I knew my wife wouldn't be going and I really don't want to take my 4 year old so I'm pretty much stuck with 2 tickets that I can't sell because the Colts still have inventory.

Thank you! Makes sense.

Even though I think there will ultimately be no blackout due to the TV station picking up the slack, I do have one question about how the blackout works:

If a blackout happens, does it just blackout the local viewing of the game? For example, are you able to go to a place like buffalo wild wings and watch the game still? (they are able to get the game being aired in different regions)

If the game is blacked out, you will not be able to watch the game anywhere in the blackout area because the blackout applies to the NFL Sunday Ticket also.