Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Miami wins in the 1 pm ET slot, we should be rooting for the Bengals simultaneously in the 1 pm slot

chad72

If the Dolphins win in the 1 pm ET slot, that eliminates both the Steelers and Chargers (since Dolphins have tie-breakers over both of them).

Then, we could play either the Chiefs (if Ravens lose) or Ravens (if they win vs Bengals, we are #3 and they are #6 - Ravens own tie-breaker vs Dolphins). Ravens play in the 1 pm ET game vs Bengals at the same time.

I'd prefer the Chiefs any day of the week as the #4 seed, so I will be rooting for the Bengals to win simultaneously.

Thoughts???

Err, if the Dolphins win, and the Ravens and Chargers win, we'd play the Dolphins, not the Ravens.

OTOH, if the Dolphins lose at 1PM, they're out, and we'd get either the Ravens, Chargers, or Steelers.

So I'd be more likely to root for the Bengals if the Dolphins lose than if they win, since I'd rather play the Dolphins than the Chargers.

Err, if the Dolphins win, and the Ravens and Chargers win, we'd play the Dolphins, not the Ravens.

Are you sure? Both Dolphins and Ravens are 8-7, and if they both win, they are 9-7. Head-to-head is first tie-breaker, and Ravens beat Dolphins earlier 26-23. Something does not jive.

Are you sure? Both Dolphins and Ravens are 8-7, and if they both win, they are 9-7. Head-to-head is first tie-breaker, and Ravens beat Dolphins earlier 26-23. Something does not jive.

Because if the Chargers win they're 9-7 too.

Look at it this way:

Miami wins at 1:00, the 6 seed is the Dolphins or Ravens.

Miami loses at 1:00, the 6 seed is the Ravens, Chargers, or Steelers

There's a different tie-breaker if 3+ teams have the same record. 

Rather play the Ravens with a hobbled Joe Flacco.

5 years in the playoffs, no 1-and-dones for Flacco but this might be the year he does go one-and-done.  That is because of the "1 out of 6 deviates from the norm" principle that I observed.

(First 6 Brady games vs Broncos 1-5, First 6 Wimbledon finals for Bjorn Borg, lost the 6th one to McEnroe, First 6 Wimbledon finals for Roger Federer, lost the 6th one to Nadal, Nadal who has been unbeatable almost at French Open, however could not win 6 straight because he lost to Robin Soderling; the only one to beat him at the French Open, First 6 AFCCG games for Brady as a #1 or #2 seed, won 5 and lost the 6th one last year, Broncos lost 5 straight games to Ravens before winning the 6th one in the regular season vs Ravens last year though they lost in the playoffs after that, Peyton being 1-5 vs Chargers from 2005-2010, Peyton lost 5 out of 6 games where he had back-to-back vs Pats and Chargers in 2007, 2010 and 2012 before coming back from 0-24 in 2012....I could go on and on :), this is just a small sample space but convincing enough for me ;), Peyton's teams have lost 4th qtr. leads in 5 straight playoff games...yet to be determined :))

I don't know what to do

Grab your favorite drink & snack.

Sit back and watch some good football.

When the Colts are done playing watch a different game.   :)

Unfortunately, all of our hoping, wishing, and game day superstitions will have no impact on the outcome of any of these games.

Enjoy!

5 years in the playoffs, no 1-and-dones for Flacco but this might be the year he does go one-and-done.  That is because of the "1 out of 6 deviates from the norm" principle that I observed.

(First 6 Brady games vs Broncos 1-5, First 6 Wimbledon finals for Bjorn Borg, lost the 6th one to McEnroe, First 6 Wimbledon finals for Roger Federer, lost the 6th one to Nadal, Nadal who has been unbeatable almost at French Open, however could not win 6 straight because he lost to Robin Soderling; the only one to beat him at the French Open, First 6 AFCCG games for Brady as a #1 or #2 seed, won 5 and lost the 6th one last year, Broncos lost 5 straight games to Ravens before winning the 6th one in the regular season vs Ravens last year though they lost in the playoffs after that, Peyton being 1-5 vs Chargers from 2005-2010, Peyton lost 5 out of 6 games where he had back-to-back vs Pats and Chargers in 2007, 2010 and 2012 before coming back from 0-24 in 2012....I could go on and on :), this is just a small sample space but convincing enough for me ;), Peyton's teams have lost 4th qtr. leads in 5 straight playoff games...yet to be determined :))

Maybe yuo're the person to explain VITAS GERULAITIS, on breaking a 16-match losing streak to Bjorn Borg in the late 1970s, uttered the immortal line: “Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row.”

Only thing I care about is if the Colts play the early wildcard game next Saturday. I work Saturday mornings and have a 4.5hrs drive to get to the LOS. I'd have to start work at midnight to make that game. The 2 seed would fix that cause I'm on vaca that weekend.

Seems that a lot of people want to play the Ravens instead of the Chiefs. I disagree. I would much rather play the Chiefs...or the Dolphins.

In any case, though, I think the Chargers are getting in:

-I see KC resting their starters since they have nothing to play for. SD wins that game.

- An injured Flacco isn't going to lead his team past the Bengals in Cincy.

- The Jets want to play spoiler and save Rex Ryan's job. Down goes Miami.

We also have to win the game. The Jags have been sneaky vs. us in the past in Indy and we may not have the urgency we have sometimes against better opponents.

Should be an interesting week. I have a hunch SD is in at #6 and we stay at #4 which would be fine with me since I love our chances in a KC rematch, depends on how much Miami can deliver in a must win at home vs. a division rival who has been playing better I believe in the last few weeks (vs. Cleveland/Carolina they hung tough). Miami is tough to call lately....they snuck by the Pats and it was like they won the SB and then last week skidded to a screeching halt. Miami has done well at times IMO as an underdog this year in the regular season but not as well in the "must wins".

I have a love/hate relationship with the idea of SD getting in even though if they are not playing the Colts I love to watch them at times. We wouldn't be playing them but they have the "potential" IMO with a top QB this year to go on a run......and could realistically even alter the idea of the Colts at 4 going to Denver for the divisional if we won the WC round since I could even see SD upsetting Cincy who has not won a playoff game in like forever, besides when Cincy went to SD this year they only won 17-10. Rivers scares the crap out of me this season. And if Andy Reid does anything like he does with Philly the starters won't even play for KC or they will get pulled early sometime.

If the 6th seed was Miami I have little faith at the moment they would really make any noise even if they beat the Colts/Bengals in the regular season I think they could lose to either team in a rematch with it all on the line. Not sure about Baltimore but I am not in love with them this year either. And a few of their recent wins lately were as lucky as one can get. Yes they have a strong playoff history in recent years too but I dunno.....without Ray, Ed Reed etc. I am not sure they will have the luck with it all on the line anymore. But, overall I would still prefer KC to Baltimore even though Baltimore's luck in Indy has been terrible.

It's such a long shot Pittsburgh can get in it seems I don't even want to get into it.

Last year Cincy beat Baltimore in the final week too.

If the Dolphins win in the 1 pm ET slot, that eliminates both the Steelers and Chargers (since Dolphins have tie-breakers over both of them).

Then, we could play either the Chiefs (if Ravens lose) or Ravens (if they win vs Bengals, we are #3 and they are #6 - Ravens own tie-breaker vs Dolphins). Ravens play in the 1 pm ET game vs Bengals at the same time.

I'd prefer the Chiefs any day of the week as the #4 seed, so I will be rooting for the Bengals to win simultaneously.

Thoughts???

im curious on to why you would want the chiefs?? are you saying the ravens are a better football team then the chiefs?? yes we beat the chiefs, but whats to say they dont play better their second go around, and indoors? 

We also have to win the game. The Jags have been sneaky vs. us in the past in Indy and we may not have the urgency we have sometimes against better opponents.

Should be an interesting week. I have a hunch SD is in at #6 and we stay at #4 which would be fine with me since I love our chances in a KC rematch, depends on how much Miami can deliver in a must win at home vs. a division rival who has been playing better I believe in the last few weeks (vs. Cleveland/Carolina they hung tough). Miami is tough to call lately....they snuck by the Pats and it was like they won the SB and then last week skidded to a screeching halt. Miami has done well at times IMO as an underdog this year in the regular season but not as well in the "must wins".

I have a love/hate relationship with the idea of SD getting in even though if they are not playing the Colts I love to watch them at times. We wouldn't be playing them but they have the "potential" IMO with a top QB this year to go on a run......and could realistically even alter the idea of the Colts at 4 going to Denver for the divisional if we won the WC round since I could even see SD upsetting Cincy who has not won a playoff game in like forever, besides when Cincy went to SD this year they only won 17-10. Rivers scares the crap out of me this season. And if Andy Reid does anything like he does with Philly the starters won't even play for KC or they will get pulled early sometime.

If the 6th seed was Miami I have little faith at the moment they would really make any noise even if they beat the Colts/Bengals in the regular season I think they could lose to either team in a rematch with it all on the line. Not sure about Baltimore but I am not in love with them this year either. And a few of their recent wins lately were as lucky as one can get. Yes they have a strong playoff history in recent years too but I dunno.....without Ray, Ed Reed etc. I am not sure they will have the luck with it all on the line anymore. But, overall I would still prefer KC to Baltimore even though Baltimore's luck in Indy has been terrible.

It's such a long shot Pittsburgh can get in it seems I don't even want to get into it.

Last year Cincy beat Baltimore in the final week too.

last years home loss to the jags where they scored a 50+ yard TD with like 50 seconds to go in the game still gives me nightmares lol. 

Please be careful of wishing for certain playoff matchups. It rarely works out. 

2005 was the best Colts team in Indianapolis history. (Yes, better than the 2006 and 2009 SB teams). That year they were matched against the Steelers in the AFC Divisional round of the playoffs. I remember thinking this was a great matchup for the Colts. The Steelers were playing their second consecutive road game having pulled off a major upset at the Bengals the week before. We were double digit favorites by kickoff. We had just beaten the same Steeler team 26-7 on MNF just a month ago. A game that was not even as close as the blowout score indicated.

Result?

We lost 21-18. It was the most crushing loss in the history of the Colts in Indianapolis.

In 2008 the Colts were 12-4. We actually had the second best record in the AFC and had won at Pittsburgh. (The Steelers won the Super Bowl that year.) The Colts ended up playing a Charger team that went 8-8 during the regular season and barely made it into the playoffs only because they were a division winner. By contrast the Patriots were 11-5 and missed the playoffs entirely. 

Result?

We lost.

I don't think a playoff matchup against the Chiefs, Ravens or Dolphins makes much difference. But what would be nice is having a bye week. I would concentrate on seeding and less on individual matchups. Historically, having a "good playoff matchup" doesn't work nearly as well as people think.

What we need is a Bengals loss to the Ravens. And a Patriots loss to the Bills. Of course we need to take care of business against the Jaguars too!