Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne's injury killed the Colts season

Kurtis Patrick M

I realize we backed into the playoffs and took the division title (worst division in the league). We had one more good game after his departure. He was Luck's go to guy.  He also got all the attention from opposing defenses freeing up TY and other receivers down the field on occasion.  Reggie was also the veteran team leader and mentor for the youngsters, (including luck)... Not having him convert on 3rd down plays also hurt out defense big time, keeping them on the field far too long  ...

Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery Reggie...

NFC East is pretty bad too don't forget. You have to overcome losses ... RW is old and not the reason we are tanking. RW does not play defense.

While its true the defense is the reason we lost yesterday, most of the struggles have been inconsistency by the WR corp. Thats all on the loss of Wayne. Also the AFC South is miles worse than the NFC East. Its not even a question the South is the weakest division in football.

NFC East is pretty bad too don't forget.  You have to overcome losses ... RW is old and not the reason we are tanking.  RW does not play defense.

Let me make it simple.

RW on the field = more converted 3rd downs

RW on the field = offense on the field for longer periods of time

Makes it easier on your defense when you dont go 3-and-out all the time.

Can we focus on something remotely relevant? What has happened has happened. Flush it (and the prime motivation to bellyache) and refocus on what our new goals are; win the AFC, develope our current roster, fix the Oline.

Reggie Wayne is GONE for the season and has been for weeks.

My apologies, I thought this was a Colts forum where we could discuss, (all things Colts). Past, present, & of course future. :deadhorse:  :dunno:

Guest TeamLoloJones

I know this name is turning into taboo here, but I saw Rogers consistently drawing attention yesterday. Could open things up the way Wayne did down the stretch.

He will drawn plenty of attention.  He's the most physically talented player on the team.  Hilton will not be seeing the bracket coverages any longer.

I don't think we can underestimate the loss of Allen. People are ticked at Pep for not adjusting, they're calling for his job. 

Yeah, take away the top two targets from any team.  Then take away their one decent G and give him an interior line that's bottom 10 in the league (generously).  How many genius OC's could cope with that?

I know they got help from Denver yesterday, but they didn't back into the playoffs IMO. "But we are slumping! We are playing poor football!" Yeah, I know. But they won the division by beating Tennessee twice, Houston, and Jacksonville. Need I remind everyone they also beat Seattle, SF, and Denver, three teams that at one point held the title of "best team in the NFL." This is a different team now, sure, but they still WON those games to get to this point. The entire season's body of work won the South, not just Denver beating Tennessee. Had Denver lost yesterday, our boys would have clinched next week against Houston. I guarantee it.  

Yesterday the Colts really felt like they were transitioning without Reggie.  They still have three games to get in gear for the playoffs its not all doom and gloom.

Don't blame the offense for getting down by 14 or 21 points early on in every game since Denver. ^^^^ The defense comes out of the gate and gives up touchdowns and long drives nearly every game its not just because the offense cant stay on the field ^^^^.  Last week the defense played good but yesterday they were a joke.  Even with the offense scoring a ton in the second half the Colts d just moved over and let the Bengals score.

I thought the Colts moved the ball good last week and settled for field goals but got it done.  Yesterday I thought Rogers and Brazill (spelling??) played really well and gave the Colts a lot to build on.  Call me crazy but I'm excited to see those wr's get it going and open things up for the run game. 

Defense now is the time to step up and show what your made of.

I know they got help from Denver yesterday, but they didn't back in to the playoffs. "But we are slumping! We are playing poor football!" Yeah, I know. But they won the division by beating Tennessee twice, Houston, and Jacksonville. Need I remind everyone they also beat Seattle, SF, and Denver, three teams that at one point held the title of "best team in the NFL." This is a different team now, sure, but they still WON those games to get to this point. The entire season's body of work won the South, not just Denver beating Tennessee. Had Denver lost yesterday, our boys would have clinched next week against Houston. I guarantee it.

For some reason I'm encouraged by the fact that we're slumping now. Creates some real pressure to focus. I hope we cut off all the excess, whatever it is...and refocus on our fundementals/responsibilities. Coaching counts a lot right now...hopefully ours are making the right decisions, doing less not more and are seeing positives heading into the playoffs.

In some ways, it has. The lack of 3rd downs and good field position because of the constant 3 and outs add up. Reggie was always the guy that got the 3rd downs and keep drives alive.

It is up to the coaches to figure out of a way to work around injuries. 

And it is up to the players to step up their game to keep their jobs, and get to get more money the next time their contract is up for discussion.

I wouldn't say we are the worst division in the league....every team in our division played the nfc west, and afc west. 4 of those teams are considered the absolute tops in the league. The Texans just played a heck of a team in the Pats and took them to the limit. They have underperformed, but I don't think we are the worst division

Reggie was the straw that broke the camel's back metaphorically speaking. A team can only absorb so many losses on offense before it really screws things up. Case in point: The Pats without Hernandez and Gronk. Not nearly as potent. Lost to the Bengals too. Better coaches (can't argue that Belichick isn't one of the best) and a long tenured, HOF QB in Brady are the main reasons they scuttled along, pulling out games they really shouldn't have won (like us). They get Gronk back and get rolling again. Now he's lost for the season. Look at their offensive numbers with and without him. Much worse without. It's the most similar case I can come up with. Reggie was the last skill guy we could afford to lose. Hopefully the emergence of Rogers and Brazill wasn't a fluke and we can get them up to speed for the playoffs.

Who's Reggie Wayne?

This issue has been hashed so many ways, it's beyond redundant now.

The o-line is rough and the D forgot to keep the opposition out of the endzone. 

I'm more confused about the D, because most of the pieces are in place and it's not pretty. 

I disagree.

The Camel's back was broken last year. And unfortunately was not adequately addressed this past offseason with better Oline talent. Any offense that hinges on a specific WR is an offense that hasn't been built correctly.

It was broken when  Grigson brought in Mcglynn and Satele to start

I remember when a certain QB went down and we blamed the GM and coaching staff for our failures. Is this a similar scenario with Reggie? I don't believe so. I think we tried to fill those vacancies at WR the best we could. Next year we should solidify that position...At least I hope

Who's Reggie Wayne?

This issue has been hashed so many ways, it's beyond redundant now.

The o-line is rough and the D forgot to keep the opposition out of the endzone.

I'm more confused about the D, because most of the pieces are in place and it's not pretty.

The problem with the defense is 100% Manusky. Hes doing incredibly silly things with the personelle like not shadowing top recievers in man coverage and putting Angerer against wideouts. He refuses to call a zone to save his life.

The problem with the defense is 100% Manusky. Hes doing incredibly silly things with the personelle like not shadowing top recievers in man coverage and putting Angerer against wideouts. He refuses to call a zone to save his life.

I saw this cat drop Josh Chapman into coverage yesterday. -____-

Seriously? I definitely missed that

It was pretty lulzy. I largely give Pep a pass this year because of the injury situation and hes learning on the job. He seems to be trying new things more and more as well.

Manusky is just laughable as a DC at this point. He mismanages the personelle so very badly. I dont see how hes back next year.

I remember when a certain QB went down and we blamed the GM and coaching staff for our failures. Is this a similar scenario with Reggie? I don't believe so. I think we tried to fill those vacancies at WR the best we could. Next year we should solidify that position...At least I hope

Week 9. We had just defeated the Broncos, then a bye week, and things were looking good. We went into a game against the Texans with....

CB Josh Gordy - Out

CB Delano Howell - Out

CB Greg Toler - Out

Although we won the game, we now know that the Texans were truly struggling and we barely won that game. Then the next week we had the same three CB's out but also had.......

CB Josh Gordy - Out

CB Delano Howell - Out

CB Greg Toler - Out

NT Josh Chapman - Out

LB Robert Mathis - Shoulder

LB Cam Johnson - Knee

We got destroyed by the (Now we know pretty good) Rams team.Next week we played the Titans at their house with the same three secondary out. 

CB Josh Gordy - Out

CB Delano Howell - Out

CB Greg Toler - Out

We barely eek out a win. Then we go to Arizona to face a budding Cardinal team and former head coach....and we know how that turned out.

During these times, we are adjusting to the loss of RW and the effect that has had on offense....and we all know how offense and defense can affect each other. A defense that is trying to adjust to losses in the secondary and front seven, has an even harder time when they have to keep returning to the field because the offense can't move the chains. I am not making excuses, I am pointing out facts. 

I don't think we can underestimate the loss of Allen. People are ticked at Pep for not adjusting, they're calling for his job. 

Yeah, take away the top two targets from any team.  Then take away their one decent G and give him an interior line that's bottom 10 in the league (generously).  How many genius OC's could cope with that?

Yes, Allen's loss was huge...he was the 3rd down converter when Reggie was covered...he was our #1 TE.

Can we focus on something remotely relevant? What has happened has happened. Flush it (and the prime motivation to bellyache) and refocus on what our new goals are; win the AFC, develope our current roster, fix the Oline.

Reggie Wayne is GONE for the season and has been for weeks.

Why not skip this thread in favor of one more to your liking rather than stopping in to be rude?