Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fox bugged by Irsay's comments [Merge]

Narcosys

85 members have voted

1. 1. How do you perceive Irsays comments to mean?

• Mostly directed at Manning
    • Mostly directed to the team
    • A slight jab at Manning
    • Directed at noone, just frustrated in general

So i guess John Fox had a little something to say about Irsays comments to USA Today.  He is insenuating that it was about Manning.  I think it was more about the situation and not being about the team.  Heres the article speaking of John Fox's comments:  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9830976/john-fox-calls-jim-irsay-comments-peyton-manning-cheap-shot

Heres the original USA Today article:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2013/10/15/indianapolis-colts-jim-irsay-no-regrets-peyton-manning/2984615/

Here's Irsays Comments: 

"We've changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these," Irsay says, flicking up his right hand to show his Super Bowl XLI championship ring.

"(Tom) Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these," Irsay adds. "Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

"You make the playoffs 11 times, and you're out in the first round seven out of 11 times. You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin (Harrison) and Reggie (Wayne). Mostly, you love this"

Though i believe John Fox is taking the comments out of context.  Because later in the article he states that it was because they were able to run the ball and stop the run is what helped them to win their first Superbowl.  Sounds nothing like a finger at Manning to me.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted this in another thread, but it deserves to be here too:

Anyone who honestly believes Irsay took a shot at Manning please self-check into the insane asylum.

IF anything it's a shot at Polian and even then that's a stretch. Honestly all Irsay was saying was changing our game plan. He believes the best way to win a Super Bowl is with a team that can play great defense, be great running the ball, and still be able to throw the ball as well (like the Pats, Ravens, Steelers SB years). Instead of solely relying on the passing game.

Stop this nonsense.

I take it as a shot towards Peyton.  I think Irsay is saying that Peyton should have won more superbowls, as if winning one superbowl isn't an impressive feat in itself, and he's the reason they didn't win multiple championships.  I do think it's also a condemnation of the time of team that was built during Peyton's time, but I definitely think his comments have some anti-Peyton sentiment underlying them.  That's not to say that Irsay doesn't like Peyton or isn't somewhat appreciative of what Peyton accomplished here in Indy, but I definitely think he's taking a shot at his former QB.

It's anything but a shot at Peyton.  Irsay is saying "Hey, we tried the throw all your eggs into the quarterback and toys for the quarterback method and it got us 1 ring.  Other teams with worse quarterbacks and better other players were more successful than us when you judge based on number of rings.  Now we've got another once in a generation quarterback talent and I'll be damned if I'm going to make the same mistake twice and waste a second chance at a dynasty."

It probably is a shot at Polian.  It's not a shot at all at Peyton.

Posted this in another thread, but it deserves to be here too:

Anyone who honestly believes Irsay took a shot at Manning please self-check into the insane asylum.

IF anything it's a shot at Polian and even then that's a stretch. Honestly all Irsay was saying was changing our game plan. He believes the best way to win a Super Bowl is with a team that can play great defense, be great running the ball, and still be able to throw the ball as well (like the Pats, Ravens, Steelers SB years). Instead of solely relying on the passing game.

Stop this nonsense.

Ah sorry, only looked into the colts section and didnt see it.  My bad.

I think pretentious people who refuse to realize that Irsay didn't just say .*-you to Peyton see it as an insult. I had never even seen it that way, and I still don't see it. People are narrow-minded and seem to just take their interpretation as truth based on their prior biased opinions. If you even know a slight amount of football you would realize that we would not have been able to build a team around Peyton with the salary cap and his massive hit. Take one sentence out of context and you can make a child's role playing a game sound like they were plotting to become terrorists and destroy the world. Read the other quotes from the interview and it is completely obvious his intentions. 

Edited by Nadine
masked profanity

I think pretentious people who refuse to realize that Irsay didn't just say *-you to Peyton see it as an insult. I had never even seen it that way, and I still don't see it. People are narrow-minded and seem to just take their interpretation as truth based on their prior biased opinions. If you even know a slight amount of football you would realize that we would not have been able to build a team around Peyton with the salary cap and his massive hit. Take one sentence out of context and you can make a child's role playing a game sound like they were plotting to become terrorists and destroy the world. Read the other quotes from the interview and it is completely obvious his intentions. 

great post.  People that want to see a dig at Peyton are going to see a dig at Peyton where there was none.  If anything, I would be willing to bet that Peyton agrees with what Irsay said about building a team in a different way, not so reliant on spectacular QB play game in and game out.  A more balanced team that can run the ball, throw the ball and play defense.  I didn't even consider that this could have been a shot at Peyton until people started saying "OMG did you see what Irsay said about Peyton?????"

....this the kind of thing that makes me say again:

I cant wait until Sunday is over..and I hope these two teams don't meet again after Sunday.

No good can come of this week...

Fro the Indy Star 10-15-`3

DENVER - Peyton Manning’s coach John Fox accused Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay of taking a “cheap shot” at Manning in a story published Tuesday in USA TODAY Sports.

Fox, on his weekly SiriusXM NFL Radio appearance, said the Colts owner sounded “ungrateful” by saying his team only won one Super Bowl ring during Manning’s 14-year tenure in Indianapolis. Manning returns to Indianapolis on Sunday for the first time since he was released by the Colts in 2012.

“To me, in my opinion, they were disappointing and inappropriate,” Fox said. “I mean, Peyton would never say anything. He’s too classy to do that. But they sounded a little ungrateful and unappreciative to me for a guy that has set a standard, won a Super Bowl, won division titles, won four MVP awards. I’d be thankful with that one Super Bowl ring because there’s a lot of people that don’t have one.”

Fox’s comments are particularly interesting because of his normal measured approach to the media. Fox rarely publicly says anything controversial and is extremely conscious of saying anything that could provide any sort of bulletin board material or a competitive advantage. That he fired back at Irsay shows just how much Irsay’s comments irked him and others in the Broncos’ organization.

Manning will meet with reporters on Wednesday, when he will certainly be asked to respond to Irsay’s comments, which included praise from the Colts’ owner for the success Manning has found in Denver, and a recounting on a conversation in which Manning told Irsay he would be crazy not to draft Luck.

But in the same interview, Irsay also said the Colts, in releasing Manning before he was due a $28 million bonus, was a conscious effort to change the franchise’s business model, to build a team that was better suited to win in January than put up what Irsay called “Star Wars numbers” in the regular season.

“(Tom) Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these,” Irsay told USA TODAY Sports’ Jarrett Bell, showing off his 2006 Super Bowl ring. “Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated. You make the playoffs 11 times, and you’re out in the first round seven out of 11 times. You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin (Harrison) and Reggie (Wayne). Mostly, you love (the ring).”

Irsay should have NEVER made those comments, at least not the one's pointing to other players and multiple rings. And the Star Wars numbers, wha????  Why even go there, and we are talking about Peyton Manning who would NEVER say anything negative.....Why start this Jim?  The other thing that was inappropriate is repeating what Manning told Jim in private quarters, "[Manning] said, 'You've got to take Andrew,' " Irsay told USA Today Sports. " 'You have to. You're crazy if you don't.' "  THAT SHOULD HAVE STAYED BETWEEN THEM.  Sorry, I'm a HUGE Irsay guy (supporter), but C'MON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny thing is, Irsay is just saying look, I did what I thought was best with the players I had.  I surrounded Peyton with as many weapons as I could and while we had some pretty outrageous numbers, we only got 1 ring.  I learned my lesson from that experience and I know realize that it takes a more balanced approach.

Thats it, thats all he is saying.  Heck if its a jab at anyone, its himself simply for the fact that it all stops with him, he has the final say.  

Talk about blowing something COMPLETELY out of proportion.  Way to stir the pot USAToday

If we're going to have multiple Topic Posts on the same subject, I'll post it again here:

Irsay should have NEVER made those comments, at least not the one's pointing to other players and multiple rings. And the Star Wars numbers, wha????  Why even go there, and we are talking about Peyton Manning who would NEVER say anything negative.....Why start this Jim?  The other thing that was inappropriate is repeating what Manning told Jim in private quarters, "[Manning] said, 'You've got to take Andrew,' " Irsay told USA Today Sports. " 'You have to. You're crazy if you don't.' "  THAT SHOULD HAVE STAYED BETWEEN THEM.  Sorry, I'm a HUGE Irsay guy (supporter), but C'MON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we're going to have multiple Topic Posts on the same subject, I'll post it again here:

I think it's just brinkmanship on Irsay's part trying to get in Manning's head before the game.  We need whatever advantage we can get after getting our butts handed to us last night.  You think Woodhead had a good night against our defense?  Welker is much better than Woodhead. 

I did not see you comment on Fox's comments, Chris...just on Irsay's

I agree with you..but if I'm FOX, I stay quiet and let Peyton speak for himself

I take it as a shot towards Peyton.  I think Irsay is saying that Peyton should have won more superbowls, as if winning one superbowl isn't an impressive feat in itself, and he's the reason they didn't win multiple championships.  I do think it's also a condemnation of the time of team that was built during Peyton's time, but I definitely think his comments have some anti-Peyton sentiment underlying them.  That's not to say that Irsay doesn't like Peyton or isn't somewhat appreciative of what Peyton accomplished here in Indy, but I definitely think he's taking a shot at his former QB.

I can definitely see your point, now knowing you're of the mind that the QB IS the team, as opposed to a part of the team.

How are you people defending Irsay? Have you no ability to think objectively? Irsay needs to shut up. Just shut up, rich boy. It's real easy. Just do like Peyton, a true professional, and shut...up. 

perhaps if you worship Peyton like a God he is a true professional, those that have the ability to not kiss his cleats realize he has not ALWAYS been the most proffesional

If Irsay wouldn't have made the comments in the first place, Fox would have nothing to respond to. Of course a head coach is going to stick up for their STAR quarterback knowing that his STAR quarterback is way too classy to say anything about it himself. I doubt Peyton even addresses it and will refuse to comment. I also do not think Peyton needs any more motivation to play this Sunday as he doesn't need motivation for any game. What I truly wonder about is will Peyton participate in the "tribute" or will Bowlen/Fox/Elway try and keep him away from the emotional aspect of it all? I have not heard a word from Peyton about the festivities planned for him. He is suppose to speak tomorrow so maybe he will address it then but I am curious to find out what he thinks about it all. Does he view it as a distraction right now as he is focused on doing his job as the quarterback for another team or does he welcome it? Was he asked before or during the planning? Or is this all being planned without his knowledge? I see both sides but I would hope that someone has informed Peyton of the events and made sure he is comfortable with it all taking place. I have heard former players are being brought in and a 22 minute tribute is planned, 22 minutes seems like a LONG time and could be distracting for someone like Peyton with such a rigid pre game schedule. He talks about his pre game schedule and it sounds like he is very strict with it. I am wondering how you all think he will take this? Is he suppose to be out there watching it or is this tribute stictly for the fans and he can do his wave when he comes out and be done?

perhaps if you worship Peyton like a God he is a true professional, those that have the ability to not kiss his cleats realize he has not ALWAYS been the most proffesional

Look man, I don't hear any rattling of the cage comin' out of PM's mouth. I haven't heard him say 1 frickin' word about it since 2012. 

You're making quite a leap between respecting PM's professionalism and "worshiping" him. That's dishonest of you. 

And who knows when this interview was even conducted? It could have been during the preseason, and sat on until now. I wouldn't put it past any journalist to pull a stunt like that. I don't think it was a shot at Peyton, more towards Polian...but Irsay has to know better. Even if what he said was 100% on the money. Which it was, btw. I love Peyton but we can't ignore the TEAM'S overall failings in the playoffs. Fox is just adding fuel to the fire...and I am sure Clueless and Screamin' A will have a field day tomorrow with this, as will the rest of the tabloid sports media. Jimmy, you know it's not 1988 anymore....

it wasn't the wisest way for irsay to put it, but i agree with what he actually meant

it's kind of like when manning was accused of throwing his o-line under the bus after the 2005 play loss to the steelers. things get taken out of context and ran with so hard everyone forgets the original intent

What bothers me, the only thing that bothered me....was the bit about Peyton supposedly saying "[irsay] would be crazy not to take Luck." That's.....mind-blowing betrayal IMO. 

Firstly, if it's true, than fine, it's true. Peyton gave Irsay the nod on that. HOWEVER...I'm assuming this comment was made privately? 

Not cool, Jim....not cool at all. If I was PM, Sunday...I'd give the crowd a long, honest heart-felt waive and then give Irsay a long, honest heart-felt middle finger. Seriously. 

Look man, I don't hear any rattling of the cage comin' out of PM's mouth. I haven't heard him say 1 frickin' word about it since 2012. 

You're making quite a leap between respecting PM's professionalism and "worshiping" him. That's dishonest of you. 

No....an oversight on your part. Remember that Egg Shell comment in 2011? Would you say thats professional? I certainly wouldn't. Irsay made a comment about how he wanted to change things up here in Indy that speaks to the interior of both Lines during the majority of Peytons years in Indy that speaks volumes about the interior of our Lines in Indy during the Peyton years....well within bounds of being discussed, Bot sides have been a bit unpro in the past but this was not one in my opinion, I did not single anyone out for being a Peyton worshiper, Sorry if you feel that way but there are clearly some that do