Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fox bugged by Irsay's comments [Merge]

Narcosys

85 members have voted

1. 1. How do you perceive Irsays comments to mean?

• Mostly directed at Manning
    • Mostly directed to the team
    • A slight jab at Manning
    • Directed at noone, just frustrated in general

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes

Wrong, very wrong.  I am a Jim Irsay supporter and have been since he took over.  He has been very willing to make changes that other organizations would have never made. He's taken a once frazzled franchise and made it whole.  Hate is a strong word and doesn't apply here as it relates to me.  I leave the keg of Hateraid for others to guzzle.

But suppose Manning did an interview this week that Irsay didn't put the balanced team around him to win more Super Bowls . Suppose he said Irsay and Polian's draft failures cost him Championships. Maybe if he said the owner and GM's model from 1998. - 2012 disappointingly allowed the team to win only one Super Bowl, pointing to his ring , how would people feel ? This is hypothetical because Manning has intelligently kept his mouth shut, didn't tweet , and avoided the media , thus far .

Who cares how people feel when someone is just stating the truth? I don't get how sensitive people get over some of these comments.

Wait. So your telling me every time a poster on here said "We need a more complete team, and not rely 100% on the QB" they were taking a shot at Peyton?

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

It's the truth. It's not even controversial. It's what we've all thought for the past decade.

Because there is no reason we should only have won 1 ring with Peyton as QB. But we did because our system and design was flawed.

So the owner says they recognized the problem, and don't want to make the same mistakes, and fans are mad?

Really? Get a grip.

If Irsay didn't want his comments to be quesitoned or taken for a shot at Manning..he should have included in  there that

I Fudged up....I let Polian run the show, we should have built a more-balanced team during Manning's tenure.

Because offense can carry you into the playoff, but defense wins championship. During the PO the formula was keep Manning off the field... and it worked.  Bend don't freaking break does not work in the playoffs. 

The game against the Chiefs and the Ravens, were won by our defense.  No first down allowed in the first half...AMAZING.

As Phil Simms once said "Manning was the band-aid that covered up the Colts flaws."

Geez Irsay - took you 12 years to realize that a balanced team was better????

CBS 

Jim Irsay comments slap in Manning's face

Peyton Manning's return to Indianapolis on Sunday night was supposed to be joyous for everyone involved. And somehow, with just a few flippant quotes, Jim Irsay's managed to sour the whole thing.

Spice might be a more appropriate word for the rest of us -- the drama surrounding Manning's matchup against the Colts is getting cranked up by the day. But an emotional day for Manning might be a little bittersweet now with Irsay taking potshots at Manning's playoff ability and lack of Super Bowl rings.

http://http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24088940/nfl-stock-watch-jim-irsays-comments-slap-in-face-to-peyton-manning

Wait. So your telling me every time a poster on here said "We need a more complete team, and not rely 100% on the QB" they were taking a shot at Peyton?

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

It's the truth. It's not even controversial. It's what we've all thought for the past decade.

Because there is no reason we should only have won 1 ring with Peyton as QB. But we did because our system and design was flawed.

So the owner says they recognized the problem, and don't want to make the same mistakes, and fans are mad?

Really? Get a grip.

We are mad because Irsay takes "ZERO" of the blame in those comments.  He should've said, I didn't support the best QB in History properly. But remember, with alcoholics, it is never their fault.....ever.

We are mad because Irsay takes "ZERO" of the blame in those comments.  He should've said, I didn't support the best QB in History properly. But remember, with alcoholics, it is never their fault.....ever.

Jim Irsay @JimIrsay 2h

My comments meant if we gave Peyton better SP Teams n Def,we would have won more than 1 Sup/Bowl,instead of asking Peyton 2do too much

He did so move on.

If Irsay didn't want his comments to be quesitoned or taken for a shot at Manning..he should have included in  there that

I Fudged up....I let Polian run the show, we should have built a more-balanced team during Manning's tenure.

Because offense can carry you into the playoff, but defense wins championship. During the PO the formula was keep Manning off the field... and it worked.  Bend don't freaking break does not work in the playoffs. 

The game against the Chiefs and the Ravens, were won by our defense.  No first down allowed in the first half...AMAZING.

As Phil Simms once said "Manning was the band-aid that covered up the Colts flaws."

Geez Irsay - took you 12 years to realize that a balanced team was better????

This is good stuff

We are mad because Irsay takes "ZERO" of the blame in those comments. He should've said, I didn't support the best QB in History properly. But remember, with alcoholics, it is never their fault.....ever.

He is taking the blame by saying they've changed the system because it wasn't working. It was the design he signed off on, and it failed. How is that assuming no responsibility?

He never said "Peyton was the reason we didn't win more SBs." Top to bottom, the structure was flawed.

Because he and the front office fell in love with the gaudy numbers Peyton was putting up, and forgot to address the D and run game.

Only winning 1 ring with Peyton is/was a disappointment. Who on earth would despute that?

Funny how people keep glossing over this quote;

"I think it's perfect," Irsay says. "What's happened is what Peyton and I hoped would happen. The desire was for him to get well and get to a team that has a chance to win another Super Bowl before his career ended. And our desire was to be able to transition to Andrew."

But yeah, he's really got it out for Peyton and Peyton alone.

Irsay should have NEVER made those comments, at least not the one's pointing to other players and multiple rings. And the Star Wars numbers, wha????  Why even go there, and we are talking about Peyton Manning who would NEVER say anything negative.....Why start this Jim?  The other thing that was inappropriate is repeating what Manning told Jim in private quarters, "[Manning] said, 'You've got to take Andrew,' " Irsay told USA Today Sports. " 'You have to. You're crazy if you don't.' "  THAT SHOULD HAVE STAYED BETWEEN THEM.  Sorry, I'm a HUGE Irsay guy (supporter), but C'MON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Star Wars numbers bugged u or u didn't understand what he meant? 

He mentioned the run defense so if anyone got called out it was them not a particular player. 

I just wonder why John Fox is inventing bulletin board material...scared any??

Why would you even comment about Polian or Manning ? I wouldn't be taking any shots at all before the Denver game , I would be just be lying low. You don't need to be firing the other team up for a game , when you just keep quiet and let things pass.

The point is, the comments can be taken one way or another through interpretation. That is why you don't make them. I don't get his comments, or especially the timing of them.

I hear a lot of Colt fans saying the last thing they want is all this Manning drama. Unfortunately, your owner is fanning the flames. Manning is as silent as a Charlie McCarthy dummy.

I'm sure the media had dying questions about Manning and/or Polian. Whatever Irsay said here the media went all over his comments, and I think they made what he said worse than what I thought they would be. As you said, people interpret them in a different way, and I interpreted them as shots at Polian. I can't take back Irsay's comments, only he can, and it only makes this game more dramatic than it already is. What I can do is sit back and watch the Colts perform on Sunday.

Who cares how people feel when someone is just stating the truth? I don't get how sensitive people get over some of these comments.

I question whether you are married.  There's a popular saying that I always remind myself of before I say something truthful to my wife:  "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?"

Thankfully for Irsay's sake, him and Manning aren't under the same roof.  But the thing is, sometimes guys say things, whether its' venting or meant with good intentions nad the media twists it COMPLETELY out of proportion.  Remember when there was that whole debacle before we released manning when Irsay told Manning to keep it "in-house" calling him a politician?  Yeah, it's not as bad as it seems and I guarantee you these two have already had a quick conversation ergarding what's been put out in the media.  For 2 men who knew each other for 12 years, I'm sure that regardless of how the media spun it, Manning knew what Irsay meant.

Irsay wasn't taking shots at peyton manning. All Jim was saying was what I pointed out in my post titled "don't make the same mistake with luck as we made with manning", which is to build a team totally dependent on the passing game and devaluing the merits of the run game and good defense. Jim was saying that Manning and Harrison and James put up other worldly numbers but because the defense was so weak at the time those 3 were together they couldn't win it all. By the time Peyton was playing is last 3 years here the run game was so weak that they had no choice but to throw 50 times a game in order to move the ball.

This is typical of communication in general, especially written communication. There is just way too much open to interpretation. The thing that I did take from the USA Today comments tho is that Jim is committed to winning more rings.

This topic is actually aggravating me.  Im reading the comments on the ESPN articles and people are absolutely clueless.  Either they have no clue what they are talking about saying that Irsay used free agents, waivers, and nobodys to put a team together, or they make comments that blatantly show they have not read the entire article.  HECK even the ESPN people didnt read all the USA Today article and are making comments that show it.  Saying that didnt see anything about defense or special teams in his comments.  BUT IRSAY EXPLICITLY MENTIONS THEM later in the article.  Holy smokes people need to use their own brains.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9835393/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-declines-comment-jim-irsay-thoughts

this is all media crap...i jsut watched the albert breer irsay interview...he didnt say a bad thing to manning...i also saw the tweets from irsay...exactly what i concluded from the interview

the sad part seems to be, that manning is buying the media crap.

You know, Fox wants to act all rear end hurt about Irsay's supposed disrespect of Peyton. This comming from a guy that told Peyton to take a knee with 45 seconds left in regulation of a playoff game that the ended up losing when all they needes to win was a field goal? Talk about disrespect. Hey Fox, people who live on glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I've tried to not comment on this but I will throw my opinion in. I have no clue what is in irsay's heart and mind...I will say I do know whats in his mouth....and that is his foot. In a weekend that was suppose to HONOR 3 of the greatest Indianapolis Colts we have ever had or possibly will have WHY would you take a shot at them? I say a shot because it wasn't like he was saying we should have won more...we should have surround Peyton and Marvin and Edge with a better defense....better special teams...but what did he say....lets compare Peyton to BRADY'S 3....HIS INCONCISTANCIES BUT CHAMPIONSHIPS....the stats (which we know refer to Peyton) are meaningless without the rings. Irsay knows the knock on Peyton was all stats and little bling...and he went there....intentionally or not he directly went there and I have a huge problem with it. We all wanted more rings....we all agree we should have given him more help on D but really....really the very week we are honoring the guy we are bringing up the failures of him and the very people we are honoring....no one see the issue with that?? Peyton said it..winning is hard...and Irsay hasn't won anything....these hard working players and coaches won that ring for him...and that is how he should have left it. If he wanted to bring up that issue....there was a time and place. He created the drama....to bring the attention....plain and simple. I love my Colts....love Peyton...unfortunately I just put up with our owner.

I've tried to not comment on this but I will throw my opinion in. I have no clue what is in irsay's heart and mind...I will say I do know whats in his mouth....and that is his foot. In a weekend that was suppose to HONOR 3 of the greatest Indianapolis Colts we have ever had or possibly will have WHY would you take a shot at them? I say a shot because it wasn't like he was saying we should have won more...we should have surround Peyton and Marvin and Edge with a better defense....better special teams...but what did he say....lets compare Peyton to BRADY'S 3....HIS INCONCISTANCIES BUT CHAMPIONSHIPS....the stats (which we know refer to Peyton) are meaningless without the rings. Irsay knows the knock on Peyton was all stats and little bling...and he went there....intentionally or not he directly went there and I have a huge problem with it. We all wanted more rings....we all agree we should have given him more help on D but really....really the very week we are honoring the guy we are bringing up the failures of him and the very people we are honoring....no one see the issue with that?? Peyton said it..winning is hard...and Irsay hasn't won anything....these hard working players and coaches won that ring for him...and that is how he should have left it. If he wanted to bring up that issue....there was a time and place. He created the drama....to bring the attention....plain and simple. I love my Colts....love Peyton...unfortunately I just put up with our owner.

This isn't an overreaction in the slightest.

So i guess John Fox had a little something to say about Irsays comments to USA Today.  He is insenuating that it was about Manning.  I think it was more about the situation and not being about the team.  Heres the article speaking of John Fox's comments:  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9830976/john-fox-calls-jim-irsay-comments-peyton-manning-cheap-shot

Heres the original USA Today article:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2013/10/15/indianapolis-colts-jim-irsay-no-regrets-peyton-manning/2984615/

Here's Irsays Comments: 

"We've changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these," Irsay says, flicking up his right hand to show his Super Bowl XLI championship ring.

"(Tom) Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these," Irsay adds. "Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

"You make the playoffs 11 times, and you're out in the first round seven out of 11 times. You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin (Harrison) and Reggie (Wayne). Mostly, you love this"

Though i believe John Fox is taking the comments out of context.  Because later in the article he states that it was because they were able to run the ball and stop the run is what helped them to win their first Superbowl.  Sounds nothing like a finger at Manning to 

I would add to Irsay's comments and say he also meant that he would have to pay Peyton so much that he couldn't bring in the type players that he wanted to win the championships. .

I just wish nothing was said, just let the game play, Irsayu knows the media will jump on all things especially at such a time

Even jjust so we startr this thread ( LOL ) 

But really u r about to honor the guy , dont say anything that may be construed right or wrong about Peyton and Colts direction change just before u are to hoinor him before we play him

I am off this topic, I hate it though as many  others commented I added  my worthless 3 cents on it

Precisely Barry, just play the game & put all this media noise to bed forever. Jim Irsay & Peyton Manning aren't facing 1 another on the field Sunday evening. Just let me enjoy my fond memories. Thank you. 

Really? Get a grip.

The problem is he shouldn't have said anything even remotely close to the whole issue of letting Manning go. 

He should've talked about honoring Peyton, being glad he was coming back, how exciting this game is and left it at that. 

What was he thinking? You can try to blame the media, go ahead. Fact is, the media can't twist his statements about Manning if he isn't saying anything negative about Peyton's Colt era. 

And that's where everything went sideways. The negativity. Why? Why do that now? 

Terrible judgement. Irsay brought this on with his negative statements. 

Fair warning Collinsworth is doing the game on Sunday Night I fully expect him to harp on this every chance he gets.  This might be a listen to Bob Lamey with the sound down type of game. 

Am I the only one that admired Chris when he played? He was one of my heros.  :yes:

Am I the only one that admired Chris when he played? He was one of my heros.  :yes:

No, you aren't the only one ruksak. I do like Cris as a broadcaster too. I am just irritated at the way he always lavishes praise on the Dallas Cowboys. More SW1's problem than Cris's given my intense animosity toward the silver & blue lone star. I will freely acknowledge that. 

I am also glad that he is on the NFL HOF selection committee a darn good Bengals WR who played quite well instead of a wide array of writers who have no idea how to evaluate NFL talent at all. 

The problem is he shouldn't have said anything even remotely close to the whole issue of letting Manning go.

He should've talked about honoring Peyton, being glad he was coming back, how exciting this game is and left it at that.

What was he thinking? You can try to blame the media, go ahead. Fact is, the media can't twist his statements about Manning if he isn't saying anything negative about Peyton's Colt era.

And that's where everything went sideways. The negativity. Why? Why do that now?

Terrible judgement. Irsay brought this on with his negative statements.

I don't see anything negative about saying he wants to win more rings. That point is absolutely what is being twisted. That's the goal for any organization. And he wants to do it in a way that emphasizes great team ball, as opposed to just relying on the QB. He never blamed Peyton. He only said that the methods that he as an owner signed up for didn't have the end result they hoped it would.

This is a non-story if it isn't this week. People are trying to find a good, new angle for the match up this week. And lost their minds over nothing.

Frankly I would be * as a fan if he said "Everything about the Manning era design was perfect, and we intend to duplicate it with Andrew." Because it was a flawed system.

Not to mention the media loves to run their collective mouths over why Peyton can't win the big ones, and struggles in the playoffs all the time. And now they serve as Peyton's personal legacy protectors? Give me a break.

I liked him. He was a solid  player. He seems like a good guy but I don't care for him as a commentator.

Irsay is a tool and always has been. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and lucked into the Indy Colts, Peyton and Luck. He should be on his knees thanking Peyton for everything including that stadium and all the other great things around Indy and Indiana that came to be because of Peyton and his personality/success while there.