Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay quotes in USA Today (merge)

The Old Crow

Why, because I make sense. I can't believe all the posts where they would think these comments were a smart thing. It defies logic.

haha  You may "think" that you make sense and that the opinions of others defies logic, but all I see is a Baltimore Colt's/Raven's fan determined to find trouble. 

And after reading through your numerous, lengthy posts; I find it amazing that you  

just 

can't  

let  

it 

go. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haha  You may "think" that you make sense and that the opinions of others defies logic, but all I see is a Baltimore Colt's/Raven's fan determined to find trouble. 

And after reading through your numerous, lengthy posts; I find it amazing that you  

just 

can't  

let  

it 

go. 

I wish there was a big enough like button to go with this

tumblr_lo2zqb6h5P1qzsyre.gif

That is kind of the point. Other than Jerry Jones and Dan Synder, I am not seeing a lot of owners tweeting, or giving ill advised interviews to reporters before an emotional game. You know how I feel about the tribute, it's going to be awkward. If I were Jim , no tribute and no comments to reporters all week. I'm just heading to my owners box game day. Maybe you send him a private letter or something , wishing him good luck outside the public eye, the week of the game. That way , you're just concentrating on a Colts victory without further distractions.

The questions is why do you care about the tribute though?

How many other team's forums do you post on?

Yeah, no axe to grind.

I don't really know why Irsay feels the need to give Peyton more incentive to play the game of his life this Sunday...

I don't think Irsay gave PM anything to make Manning have more incentive. Manning prepares himself exactly the same no matter who the opponent is. He has prepared for this game just like every game he has ever played. To the best of his ability and knowledge. He has always had a routine he follows and nothing has changed in that. No need to buy into this story and fall into the media circus.

He should not only have walked away from the media, he should have ran ! The USA Today story and tribute do nothing for you. No owner, player, or team official should ever give the other team fodder if they can help it. You just keep quiet , and let the game be played. In most colleges , coaches ban tweeting because the kids say stupid stuff. What do you do with an owner that won't stop tweeting , and gives ill advised interviews when you know dang well any comments will be examined in a fish bowl. Why would you feel that this was a good time to do an interview any time within the last month on Manning or the Denver game ? It should be a no comment and quick trip to your owners box.

Can I see your Public Relations Degree Certificate?

Gotta love it when the owner gives up bulletin board material.  smh

So you are falling into the media circus as well? I read the article and took nothing out of it that would give Manning any more motivation that he already has. He is preparing for this game just like he has his whole career. To the best of his ability and knowledge.

I do not agree. 

//

"We've changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these," Irsay said, pointing to his Super Bowl ring.

"(Tom) Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these," he continued. "Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated."

"You make the playoffs 11 times, and you're out in the first round seven out of 11 times. You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin (Harrison) and Reggie (Wayne). Mostly, you love this [pointing to ring]"

//

These can all be understood as shots on Peyton, and quite appropriately.  Denver is one of the least dramatic teams in the NFL.  Coach Fox plays the humble and 'avoid answering controversial issues' card just like Peyton does, so for him to publicly defend Manning, it obviously got to someone there.

There werre good reasons to go with Luck over Peyton (like age).  But this was a cheap shot. 

It's only a cheap shot if you think and act like a media hound. It's all just nonsense anyway. It won't matter one way or another once the ball is kicked off. The winner will be the team that plays the best and all of this crap means zero.

He should not only have walked away from the media, he should have ran ! The USA Today story and tribute do nothing for you. No owner, player, or team official should ever give the other team fodder if they can help it. You just keep quiet , and let the game be played. In most colleges , coaches ban tweeting because the kids say stupid stuff. What do you do with an owner that won't stop tweeting , and gives ill advised interviews when you know dang well any comments will be examined in a fish bowl. Why would you feel that this was a good time to do an interview any time within the last month on Manning or the Denver game ? It should be a no comment and quick trip to your owners box.

Do you know a different tune? You have taken your own personal agenda too far and now you have exposed yourself.

haha You may "think" that you make sense and that the opinions of others defies logic, but all I see is a Baltimore Colt's/Raven's fan determined to find trouble.

And after reading through your numerous, lengthy posts; I find it amazing that you

just

can't

let

it

go.

My point on this is why stir it up before a big game ? If Steve Bisciotti started saying he released Ed Reed and changed his defensive model because he was frustrated he didn't win more than one Super Bowl with Ed right before the Texans game , I would question why he said that, and the timing. As I said earlier , I would never give him a tribute in a Texans uniform. Why give an opposing team any edge or something to play for , when you can just keep mum. You can question the Baltimore Colts /Ravens stuff , but I'd say the same thing if my owner spouted off.

Anyone who honestly believes Irsay took a shot at Manning please self-check into the insane asylum.

IF anything it's a shot at Polian and even then that's a stretch. Honestly all Irsay was saying was changing our game plan. He believes the best way to win a Super Bowl is with a team that can play great defense, be great running the ball, and still be able to throw the ball as well (like the Pats, Ravens, Steelers SB years). Instead of solely relying on the passing game.

Stop this nonsense.

I feel and hope this way too. OTOH, I know I have made statements before that were taken wrong- IE: what recipient inferred was not what I was implying.  I hope this doesn't occur here as well.  I am really hoping Peyton comes back to Indy after he hangs 'em up to sign the one day contract and retire as a Colt.

So you are falling into the media circus as well? I read the article and took nothing out of it that would give Manning any more motivation that he already has. He is preparing for this game just like he has his whole career. To the best of his ability and knowledge.

I don't know, maybe I'm extrapolating too much from my high school football days.  Coach used to invent the silliest stuff to fire up the squad.  This was real and it'll be looped repeatedly for the rest of the week.  Media will be questioning players about it in the locker room on a daily basis.  Maybe it's true pros shouldn't need that kind of reinforcement, but maybe it makes a few guys spend an extra couple hours looking at film.  Who knows?  

It seemed to work at that level, maybe it's meaningless to professionals though.  :shrug:  We'll find out Sunday night.

The game of the year IMO is upon this Sunday night. Manning returns to Indy and Irsay is going to honor Manning. And shockingly, Irsay is tweaking Manning before the big game.

Here are his comments from USA Today:

In a recent interview with USA Today Sports, Irsay said he was "frustrated" that the Colts won only one Super Bowl despite reaching the playoffs 11 times with Manning.

Irsay also explained the Colts' decision to release Manning and draft Andrew Luck prior to last season, telling USA Today, "We've changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one [super Bowl ring]." http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9832784/tony-dungy-jim-irsay-comments-peyton-manning-jim-making-personal

Ouch!! Manning has to be burning with these comments. Perhaps this also explains Pep's penchant for running the ball as much as he is.

How does everyone see this playing out on and off the field? Looks like Irasy is still trying to justify his release of Manning even though Manning is having a historical year.

Gotta love it when the owner gives up bulletin board material.  smh

One step closer to being a younger Jerry Jones and the laughing stock of the NFL.... Nice work Jim, this kind of publicity isn't needed and definitely not good, for you , the team or the sport.

Oh look. This thread again.

I guess he was really tweaking him when he said;

"I think it's perfect," Irsay says. "What's happened is what Peyton and I hoped would happen. The desire was for him to get well and get to a team that has a chance to win another Super Bowl before his career ended. And our desire was to be able to transition to Andrew."

I agree with you on this. Fox should have just kept his mouth shut, as he has nothing to gain for his team by chiming in. Fox was more like Fred Mertz, when he lost the game to the Ravens last year. A lot of bad moves.

Fred Mertz......HA HA...looks a little more like him...:)

Fred+Mertz-dantania-blogspot-com.jpg

Oh look. This thread again.

I guess he was really tweaking him when he said;

"I think it's perfect," Irsay says. "What's happened is what Peyton and I hoped would happen. The desire was for him to get well and get to a team that has a chance to win another Super Bowl before his career ended. And our desire was to be able to transition to Andrew."

The other quotes I posted from Irsay were biting.

I forgot this little nugget too, "[Tom] Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these [rings]," Irsay told USA Today. "Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated."

Wow. That is inflamatory. This is the stuff WE talk about up here as fans. Shocking it came from the Colts owner right before playing Manning.

I forgot this little nugget too, "[Tom] Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these [rings]," Irsay told USA Today. "Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated."

Wow. That is inflamatory. This is the stuff WE talk about up here as fans. Shocking it came from the Colts owner right before playing Manning.

how dare he wish we won more than 1 super bowl with the greatest QB of all time...

Irsay's comments are stunning. Why on earth would you poke Manning before this game?

He didn't. I know you are trying to stir the pot, but stop it. If these comments make Peyton angry then

A. He has the mentality of a 5 year old girl who didn't get his Twilight Sparkle My Little Pony for Christmas. (which he doesn't)

2. It's distracting Peyton from focusing on facing the Colts (which is a good thing)

D. This lowers the % of new Papa Johns opening in the Denver area this week. (can't cut the ribbon if Peyton is in Hulk smash mode)

^^^^^Home Alone reference for October.

He didn't. I know you are trying to stir the pot, but stop it. If these comments make Peyton angry then

A. He has the mentality of a 5 year old girl who didn't get his Twilight Sparkle My Little Pony for Christmas. (which he doesn't)

2. It's distracting Peyton from focusing on facing the Colts (which is a good thing)

D. This lowers the % of new Papa Johns opening in the Denver area this week. (can't cut the ribbon if Peyton is in Hulk smash mode)

^^^^^Home Alone reference for October.

Irsay is stirring the pot - Big Time.

Irsay is stirring the pot - Big Time.

No. And if it does bug Peyton then you know what? Life's tough so wear a helmet. You know what is stirring the pot?

Irsay "We moved on from Peyton because we were tired of our annual tradition."

USA Today reporter "Christmas? Halloween? Boxing Day?"

Irsay "Peyton playing the regular season in God mode, and playing like a dumpster fire in the Playoffs."

That is stirring the pot, what Irsay said was justification of moving on to hopefully a decade of Postseason dominance.

wish the 2 thread would merge

CBS Take

Jim Irsay comments slap in Manning's face

Peyton Manning's return to Indianapolis on Sunday night was supposed to be joyous for everyone involved. And somehow, with just a few flippant quotes, Jim Irsay's managed to sour the whole thing.

Spice might be a more appropriate word for the rest of us -- the drama surrounding Manning's matchup against the Colts is getting cranked up by the day. But an emotional day for Manning might be a little bittersweet now with Irsay taking potshots at Manning's playoff ability and lack of Super Bowl rings.

http://http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24088940/nfl-stock-watch-jim-irsays-comments-slap-in-face-to-peyton-manning

No. And if it does bug Peyton then you know what? Life's tough so wear a helmet. You know what is stirring the pot?

Irsay "We moved on from Peyton because we were tired of our annual tradition."

USA Today reporter "Christmas? Halloween? Boxing Day?"

Irsay "Peyton playing the regular season in God mode, and playing like a dumpster fire in the Playoffs."

That is stirring the pot, what Irsay said was justification of moving on to hopefully a decade of Postseason dominance.

What Irsay did say is not that much different from your parody.

My point on this is why stir it up before a big game ? If Steve Bisciotti started saying he released Ed Reed and changed his defensive model because he was frustrated he didn't win more than one Super Bowl with Ed right before the Texans game , I would question why he said that, and the timing. As I said earlier , I would never give him a tribute in a Texans uniform. Why give an opposing team any edge or something to play for , when you can just keep mum. You can question the Baltimore Colts /Ravens stuff , but I'd say the same thing if my owner spouted off.

You are entitled to your opinion.  But, I think that I have read at least 25 of your posts on this topic and it gets to the point where I have to question your motive.

Whether Colt's fan agree with what Irsay has done or not, there isn't much we can do about it now is there?  So, why carry on and on and on???  

And the situation with Ed Reed is nothing like the situation with Peyton.  So just drop that nonsense. 

Now, if you really want to make yourself useful; I would suggest that you trot over to the message boards of the 31 other teams and educate the fans on how the owner of the teams they support should handle things if they are ever put in the unique situation that Irsay was. 

Dungy thinks Irsay was deliberately trying to provoke the highly competitive Manning.

"I think that's what he's trying to do," Dungy told ESPN in a text message. "I think that's what he's trying to do. Have him make it such a big game he doesn't perform well. I can't figure any other reason to go this way."

Dungy Without Peyton, there would be no Lucas Oil Stadium. This team would be playing in LA right now. I don't understand Jim saying this.

-- Tony Dungy on Jim Irsay's criticism

of Peyton Manning

Manning's situation is familiar to Brett Favre, who has experience winning a Super Bowl with one franchise and then enduring the unique challenge of returning to play his former team in the same stadium where he was worshiped most of his career.

After retiring and then attempting to force his return to the Green Bay Packers to win his release, Favre eventually returned to Lambeau Field with the Minnesota Vikings and can relate to the conflicting emotions Manning might be feeling.

"Not that he needs any advice," Favre told ESPN. "But for me, I had never been more nervous and anxious before a game as I was then. So being able to think clearly, as my emotions were running high, was a monumental feat. But he will do fine."

So we gotta revisit everything that went into Irsay's decision a year and a half ago?  Jeez.  This is being so overblown it's not even funny.  I have little doubt in my mind that after the media took the story and ran with it, Irsay and Manning had a phone conversation.  Anyone who followed the situation with any effort at all knew that once we had the #1 pick in hand, Manning was gone.  Can't keep them both for salary cap reasons.  This whole thing is unbelievable to me. 

At worst, i'ts just a distraction from the game for the 10 seconds your reading the article.  Everyone else needs to grow some thicker skin (cough, John Fox)

haha, yeah, I was a bit baffled by that as well.  I mean, maybe they were LESS consistent in his first two superbowls (which is still questionable), there was at least some variance.  If anyone should be offended, i'ts Kraft, Belicheck, and Brady, lol. 

But in terms of Manning, did it need to be said?  No, it didn't.  But it's A) not anything that Peyton wasn't already aware of and B) media asked him the question and he answered honestly.  Maybe he was a bit too candid, but I highly doubt that the intent behind the words was in anyway an effort to undercut anything Manning did for Indianapolis or the franchise.

haha, yeah, I was a bit baffled by that as well.  I mean, maybe they were LESS consistent in his first two superbowls (which is still questionable), there was at least some variance.  If anyone should be offended, i'ts Kraft, Belicheck, and Brady, lol. 

But in terms of Manning, did it need to be said?  No, it didn't.  But it's A) not anything that Peyton wasn't already aware of and B) media asked him the question and he answered honestly.  Maybe he was a bit too candid, but I highly doubt that the intent behind the words was in anyway an effort to undercut anything Manning did for Indianapolis or the franchise.

Brady loves to be called inconsistent but a three time champion. :D   The Brady comment takes the cake in my view. He was/is trying to tweak Manning/Polian/Dungy. It was a low blow as was the rest of his comments ...