Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay quotes in USA Today (merge)

The Old Crow

We've changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these , flicking his right hand to show his Super Bowl win.

Brady never had consistent numbers , but he has three of these. Irsay adds, Pittsburgh , the Giants , and Baltimore have two, and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

You make the playoffs 11 times and you're out in the first round seven times. You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin and Wayne, but mostly you love this, holding up his Super Bowl win again.

Can anyone honestly say that Irsay would be happy for Manning and Denver winning a Super Bowl ? It's apparent he's obsessed with another ring. The release was a business decision that Irsay did in the Colts best interests , and his own , make no mistake about it.

Last quote, What happened is what Peyton and I hoped would happen.

How can you both be satisfied when what both of you hope happens, is that your team wins a Super Bowl ? If Denver wins, is that what you hoped would happen for Peyton 'a sake. If Indy wins, do you think Peyton wouldn't be crushed again. This isn't a win, win, somebody has to lose.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's apparent he's obsessed with another ring. The release was a business decision that Irsay did in the Colts best interests , and his own , make no mistake about it.

How can you both be satisfied when what both of you hope happens, is that your team wins a Super Bowl ? If Denver wins, is that what you hoped would happen for Peyton 'a sake. If Indy wins, do you think Peyton wouldn't be crushed again. This isn't a win, win, somebody has to lose.

1.) Isn't everyone obsessed with the SB win?

2.) What he's saying is that both wanted to win another sb.  Peyton wanted to go where he had a better shot and the Colts wanted to rebuild to have another shot

Their goals were the same.......their chosen means different.  So, of course neither will be satisfield unless they are the ones with the ring.

How is this problematic for you?

Please use quotes. I'm having a hard time telling if it's you speaking or Irsay. Is the whole thing an Irsay quote?

Sorry about that , I was in a rush. Only the bottom paragraph is my comments. Check out the rest of the article in today's USA today. It is very interesting. It gives a larger context to the quotes, but highlights why Irsay had to make the decision, and his hopes for a Super Bowl.

1.) Isn't everyone obsessed with the SB win?

2.) What he's saying is that both wanted to win another sb. Peyton wanted to go where he had a better shot and the Colts wanted to rebuild to have another shot

Their goals were the same.......their chosen means different. So, of course neither will be satisfield unless they are the ones with the ring.

How is this problematic for you?

Their goals are the same, but for different teams now. I just think both guys would be bothered if the other guy won a Super Bowl , as competitive as both these guys are, that's all.

Their goals are the same, but for different teams now. I just think both guys would be bothered if the other guy won a Super Bowl , as competitive as both these guys are, that's all.

Exactly

Neither has any regrets about what they've chosen........but they both want to win now.  There will be 1 winner and 31 disappointed teams.

Exactly

Neither has any regrets about what they've chosen........but they both want to win now. There will be 1 winner and 31 disappointed teams.

He had an interesting take on Brady. I'm sure AM Football won't agree with those comments. Lol. I wonder how Peyton will receive this article ? I think it's a fair article, but you can see Irsay's frustration coming through due to only winning one Super Bowl during that era. You know Peyton feels it too. That is what makes this game so intriguing.

I think you're reading a bit too much into it (or maybe i misinterpreted).  I don't think it's so much that he doesn't want Manning to win another ring.  I think it's like the rest of us fans who still like Manning.  Colts first, Manning second.  Would he rather Cotls win a superbowl?  Of course, but if not us, then I think he'd be thrilled that Manning won, even though he'd be a bit disappointed that it wasn't us.

He had an interesting take on Brady. I'm sure AM Football won't agree with those comments. Lol. I wonder how Peyton will receive this article ? I think it's a fair article, but you can see Irsay's frustration coming through due to only winning one Super Bowl during that era. You know Peyton feels it too. That is what makes this game so intriguing.

The interesting part to me was what manning said http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2013/10/15/indianapolis-colts-jim-irsay-no-regrets-peyton-manning/2984615/

"He said, 'You've got to take Andrew,'" Irsay recalls during an interview with USA TODAY Sports. "'You have to. You're crazy if you don't.'"

He was right. Peyton knows talent. Maybe he thought at the time it could be a Favre/ Rodgers deal for a couple of years. You know I think Irsay was right in what he did, but you can see the angst both men are facing this week.

We've changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these , flicking his right hand to show his Super Bowl win.

Brady never had consistent numbers , but he has three of these. Irsay adds, Pittsburgh , the Giants , and Baltimore have two, and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

You make the playoffs 11 times and you're out in the first round seven times. You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin and Wayne, but mostly you love this, holding up his Super Bowl win again.

Can anyone honestly say that Irsay would be happy for Manning and Denver winning a Super Bowl ? It's apparent he's obsessed with another ring. The release was a business decision that Irsay did in the Colts best interests , and his own , make no mistake about it.

Why can it not be a win-win.  Irsay wanted to build the team differently that process usually take 3-5 years.  Manning, who only had 3-5 left, wanted to win a SB.  Irsay's best chance of building the team differently was to release Manning and use that money at other positions.  Manning's best chance at winning another SB was by going to a team that was a QB away from being a SB contender.  That is a win-win.

That is what I have said all along... that Manning's release was as much a function of Manning not wanting to be part of a rebuilding process as Grigson/Irsay wanting to go in a different direction.

He was right. Peyton knows talent. Maybe he thought at the time it could be a Favre/ Rodgers deal for a couple of years. You know I think Irsay was right in what he did, but you can see the angst both men are facing this week.

Lots of angst for everyone who is a colts fan

Most of us want to see manning do well.........just not here! 

I cant wait until this week is over and I sincerely hope Indy and Denver don't meet in the post-season..

Colts should win the division, there is a good chance they might play in the playoffs.

And most probably in Mile High :).

I agree with you, i dont want to see that one.

ouch

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/15/in-moving-on-from-manning-irsay-says-he-chose-championships-over-stats/#comments

If the Colts end up losing two games in six days, they can thank in part their owner.

For starters, Jim Irsay went public last week with the plans for welcoming Peyton Manning back to town with a “great tribute.”  It may have caused some of his players to lose focus on the more pressing challenge of beating the Chargers.  (Though the impact on the players is debatable, if he had said nothing before Monday’s game, the chances of Irsay creating a distraction would have been zero.)

Now, Irsay is giving Peyton a little grist for his ever-churning Manning-face mill.

In an interview with Jarret Bell of USA Today, Irsay eventually boils the departure of Peyton down to one fact: Irsay preferred to chase team achievements, not individual ones.

“We’ve changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these,” Irsay said, referring to his Super Bowl XLI ring.  “[Tom] Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these.  Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

“You make the playoffs 11 times, and you’re out in the first round seven out of 11 times. You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin [Harrison] and Reggie [Wayne]. Mostly, you love this.”

And again, Irsay pointed to the ring.

Though buried under less inflammatory (but possibly specious) notions like “Peyton told me to draft Andrew Luck” and “we couldn’t fit both players under the salary cap,” Peyton will see it.  And Peyton will view it as a slap in the face.  And Peyton won’t be happy about it.

Then again, Peyton seems to only be happy when he’s not happy about something.

And if/when Peyton hangs 50 on the Colts, he can grab the game ball, cram it into Irsay’s midsection, and tell him to stick this in his trophy case.

This is just silly.  He lnows full well that one guy does not win a super bowl.  The old Manning chokes late in the year arguments have always been intellectually bankrupt, and the metric itself is useless.  Lots of left guards have rings too.

But he did pick a good week to give Manning some motivation....

Don't think this is a jab at Peyton. He is right, the D was shocking under Polian, the 4 3 didn't work anymore. The offense and Peyton will always do fine (hence what he was saying about stats) but the D was so poor.

In the 2-14 we only had 4 good starters imo. (mathis, freeney, angerer, bethea) The rest were sub par. At the time i didn't know what to expect, it was my first season supporting the colts and couldn't tell right from wrong (except for the fact we always lost) but looking back on previous games and looking forward to now i can see it was poor. The corners were nowhere near as good as they are now. Plus i don't think any run D will be good without atleast 1 DT. Also i think the D stands a better chance on whole with 2 good safeties.

Isn't the quote "offense wins games defense wins championships"

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, October 16, 2013 - inflammatory
Hidden by shecolt, October 16, 2013 - inflammatory

Classless owner doing what he does best, spread lies to put himself in a favorable light.

Irsay is actually insulting to anyone with any intelligence what so ever.

Classy Peyton keeps his mouth shut... Just like he did in March.

We all know who is going where when judgement day comes.

"And if/when Peyton hangs 50 on the Colts, he can grab the game ball, cram it into Irsay’s midsection, and tell him to stick this in his trophy case." "Success is the best revenge." --Frank Sinatra. 

"He said, 'You've got to take Andrew,'" Irsay recalls during an interview with USA TODAY Sports. "'You have to. You're crazy if you don't.'"

What? Peyton wanted to retire a Colt. I highly doubt he would suggest his own replacement in INDY. It sounds completely unfounded to me Jim. Do you care to revise that ludicrous statement Mr. Irsay? Just admit that you were looking 15 years ahead as opposed to the next 4-5.  I have no problem with the shift to Luck as long as you are honest with yourself & your fanbase Jim. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2013/10/15/indianapolis-colts-jim-irsay-no-regrets-peyton-manning/2984615/

"And if/when Peyton hangs 50 on the Colts, he can grab the game ball, cram it into Irsay’s midsection, and tell him to stick this in his trophy case." "Success is the best revenge." --Frank Sinatra.

What? Peyton wanted to retire a Colt. I highly doubt he would suggest his own replacement in INDY. It sounds completely unfounded to me Jim. Do you care to revise that ludicrous statement Mr. Irsay? Just admit that you were looking 15 years ahead as opposed to the next 4-5. I have no problem with the shift to Luck as long as you are honest with yourself & your fanbase Jim.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2013/10/15/indianapolis-colts-jim-irsay-no-regrets-peyton-manning/2984615/

i highly doubt he is lying. But if he is, it will come out

I don't see how this was a slap in the face of Peyton.  This all goes back to Irsay's desire to build a more complete team, and not a one man show that Polian built around Peyton.  Irsay wants a team with a tough defense and a balanced offense coupled with a power running game.  He's said that since before Grigson was hired and imo these quotes simply further that.  

Of course, the media (and some fans) want to try to infer hidden meanings that simply don't exist.  

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, October 16, 2013 - responses to removed post
Hidden by shecolt, October 16, 2013 - responses to removed post

Classless owner doing what he does best, spread lies to put himself in a favorable light.

Hahahaha...what?

You would have made quite a few friends in Salem, Massachusetts in 1692.

lmao wow.......

I mean seriously WOW.

I love the rings over stats line.  Without some kind of stats generally good stats you rarely get a ring.  You will have either defensive or offensive or both. 

I still think if we continue in the direction we are headed we will have a good defense and an offense that will never live up to its potential.  The point of any sport is to win games so you need to play to your teams strengths and your opponents weaknesses not just play a specific style for the sake of playing that style or trying to make some point about being a tough team.  Irsay needs to get that part and in my opinion our coaching staff will.  I am not angry about our current direction I just am not a fan of the stubborn mindset currently on display.  Hence the reason I am not an NFL coach.

All that said still very happy with our team and where we are so far this season.