Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay quotes in USA Today (merge)

The Old Crow

Do you think Peyton will use this article as bulletin board fodder ?

Yeah, you're not obsessed with Irsay at all...

Peyton might use this as bulletin board material, but it doesn't really matter. He was released. If he's got a problem with Irsay or the Colts, it goes a lot deeper than these comments.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WELL, I GUESS SINCE WE DIDNT PUT A DEFENSE AROUD MANNING, WE SHOULD ASSUME THAT WE NEED TO TAKE OUR NEWEST THROUGHBRED AND USE HIM AS A PLOW HORSE! Use Luck as the manning he is and get a defense! Pass to score, run to win. Use one yard a carry Richardson at the end to seal a victory.........GET RID OF HAMILTONS HIGH SCHOOL OFFENSE.

Yeah, you're not obsessed with Irsay at all...

Peyton might use this as bulletin board material, but it doesn't really matter. He was released. If he's got a problem with Irsay or the Colts, it goes a lot deeper than these comments.

The guy fascinates me with tributes to opposing players , tweets, and articles before a game. I think I would have waited a week later to do that article with USA Today, although I found it interesting. The beauty of it is you can read many things into those quotes and comments.

If it doesn't really matter , and he was released, why the tribute ?

WELL, I GUESS SINCE WE DIDNT PUT A DEFENSE AROUD MANNING, WE SHOULD ASSUME THAT WE NEED TO TAKE OUR NEWEST THROUGHBRED AND USE HIM AS A PLOW HORSE! Use Luck as the manning he is and get a defense! Pass to score, run to win. Use one yard a carry Richardson at the end to seal a victory.........GET RID OF HAMILTONS HIGH SCHOOL OFFENSE.

Based on last night, do you think you have the defense around Luck that you need, or is this going to be more like the Manning years with Luck carrying the team and poor defenses ?

When people wanted for the Colts to go for it on fourth down because they couldn't trust the defense, is that an indictment on Grigson and Irsay's defensive model ?

Some interesting questions, but it was only one game. It's still a long season , and many questions will be answered.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, October 16, 2013 - response to removed post
Hidden by shecolt, October 16, 2013 - response to removed post

Classless owner doing what he does best, spread lies to put himself in a favorable light.

Irsay is actually insulting to anyone with any intelligence what so ever.

Classy Peyton keeps his mouth shut... Just like he did in March.

We all know who is going where when judgement day comes.

I hope in the future posts (hopefully I miss them) you read and re-read what the definition of class is.  You do not know class.

In addition, I really like your new show Sleepy Hollow....you must only come out at night.....such a sad face.....:(

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, October 16, 2013 - response to removed post
Hidden by shecolt, October 16, 2013 - response to removed post

Irsay is actually insulting to anyone with any intelligence what so ever.

Did you know that "whatsoever" is a single word, not three separate words? Intelligent men like Mr Irsay know this.  Why not you?

Based on last night, do you think you have the defense around Luck that you need, or is this going to be more like the Manning years with Luck carrying the team and poor defenses ?

When people wanted for the Colts to go for it on fourth down because they couldn't trust the defense, is that an indictment on Grigson and Irsay's defensive model ?

Some interesting questions, but it was only one game. It's still a long season , and many questions will be answered.

You are right. It was only one game. A game where the Colts' best pass coverage LB went out with a concussion. Look back at SF and SEA where the D did its job and did it quite well. Last night was almost a "throw away the film" game but this team is too young for that.

As for this Irsay stuff, he is right. I still think it was directed more at the Polians in general than Manning in specific, but it is bad timing to say the least. Who knows? Maybe that interview was done months ago and published this week just to stir the pot

Why can it not be a win-win.  Irsay wanted to build the team differently that process usually take 3-5 years.  Manning, who only had 3-5 left, wanted to win a SB.  Irsay's best chance of building the team differently was to release Manning and use that money at other positions.  Manning's best chance at winning another SB was by going to a team that was a QB away from being a SB contender.  That is a win-win.

That is what I have said all along... that Manning's release was as much a function of Manning not wanting to be part of a rebuilding process as Grigson/Irsay wanting to go in a different direction.

That is the best and most simplest comment made to explain the whole situation. I read those long drawn out mini novels (some I have been guilty of) trying to explain or find reason but you break it down.

i highly doubt he is lying. But if he is, it will come out

I just have a hard time believing that Peyton Manning would willingly offer his recommendation of his INDY replacement Jvan. I will admit that I have no proof on this. I wasn't in the room that's true. However, if your boss is about to fire you from the only NFL job you have ever known, do you seriously think you would offer your boss genuine feedback about what person should replace you? I highly doubt that.

Do you think Peyton will use this article as bulletin board fodder ?

No, Peyton has a new home now. Yoda is only consumed with emerging victorious this Sunday. Peyton is too classy to lower himself to mindless gossip & outside noise which means absolutely nothing. Win, lose, or draw 18 is class personified. 

The guy fascinates me with tributes to opposing players , tweets, and articles before a game. I think I would have waited a week later to do that article with USA Today, although I found it interesting. The beauty of it is you can read many things into those quotes and comments.

If it doesn't really matter , and he was released, why the tribute ?

I don't understand the question.

I just have a hard time believing that Peyton Manning would willingly offer his recommendation of his INDY replacement Jvan. I will admit that I have no proof on this. I wasn't in the room that's true. However, if your boss is about to fire you from the only NFL job you have ever known, do you seriously think you would offer your boss genuine feedback about what person should replace you? I highly doubt that.

No, Peyton has a new home now. Yoda is only consumed with emerging victorious this Sunday. Peyton is too classy to lower himself to mindless gossip & outside noise which means absolutely nothing. Win, lose, or draw 18 is class personified. 

I was laughing at your suggestion that Irsay would lie about that quote. I think Irsay and Peyton have a very special relationship that goes well beyond owner and employee. Peyton is no fool, he knows this business very well. He also knows our  man Andrew and the prospect that he is. Just because you think he did not say it, doesn't make Irsay a liar.

i highly doubt he is lying. But if he is, it will come out

The context of why he said it would completely change the meaning. If after he knew it was over I can see him saying this, but no way in "hockey sticks" Peyton is saying this when he is trying to keep his career in Indy.

The context of why he said it would completely change the meaning. If after he knew it was over I can see him saying this, but no way in "hockey sticks" Peyton is saying this when he is trying to keep his career in Indy.

Right. At a certain point, it became pretty clear what was going to happen. I'll never forget the video of Irsay and Manning hugging at the airport. I'm pretty sure they had discussions after the decision was final.

Peyton doesn't need any bulletin board material for this game. We all know he circled this one as soon as the schedule came out. He had his off game last week against Jacksonville. He's going to come into Indy ready to roll up the points like he does every week. The Broncos are averaging 44 points per game, even after their off day against Jax. Now that they have Von Miller and Champ Bailey back the defense should be back to normal, which was 3rd best in points allowed last season. If Indy doesn't bring their A game, this one could get ugly.

Peyton doesn't need any bulletin board material for this game. We all know he circled this one as soon as the schedule came out. He had his off game last week against Jacksonville. He's going to come into Indy ready to roll up the points like he does every week. The Broncos are averaging 44 points per game, even after their off day against Jax. Now that they have Von Miller and Champ Bailey back the defense should be back to normal, which was 3rd best in points allowed last season. If Indy doesn't bring their A game, this one could get ugly.

I expect the Colts to play much better all around than they did against the Chargers. But you're right, Manning had his ears pinned back well before Irsay started talking.

Some people seem to want the owner to just shut up and write the checks. I don't get it. 

I was laughing at your suggestion that Irsay would lie about that quote. I think Irsay and Peyton have a very special relationship that goes well beyond owner and employee. Peyton is no fool, he knows this business very well. He also knows our  man Andrew and the prospect that he is. Just because you think he did not say it, doesn't make Irsay a liar.

Even the great Peyton Manning is not that magnanimous. Forgiveness has it's limits & so does offering feedback on your NFL successor. Next, you're gonna tell that there is such a thing as an "amicable divorce" too. Yeah right. Nice try Franklin. Pride does matter. We're not talking about Nelson Mandela or Mother Theresa here. Thank you. 

It wouldn't be the 1st time that an owner expressed a desire for revisionist history or a recollection of a distinct event in their favor. Are both the Colts & Broncos better off? Sure they are, but don't tell me with a straight face that after a tearful cry Manning said "Jim, take Luck if you don't want me running the show in INDY anymore." LOL! 

Even the great Peyton Manning is not that magnanimous. Forgiveness has it's limits & so does offering feedback on your NFL successor. Next, you're gonna tell that there is such a thing as an "amicable divorce" too. Yeah right. Nice try Franklin. Pride does matter. We're not talking about Nelson Mandela or Mother Theresa here. Thank you. 

It wouldn't be the 1st time that an owner expressed a desire for revisionist history or a recollection of a distinct event in their favor. Are both the Colts & Broncos better off? Sure they are, but don't tell me with a straight face that after a tearful cry Manning said "Jim, take Luck if you don't want me running the show in INDY anymore." LOL! 

rofl  you sure are entertaining

So, to simplify: You don't believe it, therefore, it didn't happen.

You are assuming Von Miller is going to come back like he never missed a down? That doesn't happen. Bailey is a liability now more than anything. As someone who has been a fan of Manning for more than one season I can tell you he's not immune to consecutive bad games. The same goes for Denver if they play like they played Jacksonville or Dallas and Indy plays like it did against SF, Jax, and Seattle the Broncos are looking at loss number one.

I expect the Colts to play much better all around than they did against the Chargers. But you're right, Manning had his ears pinned back well before Irsay started talking.

Some people seem to want the owner to just shut up and write the checks. I don't get it.

That is kind of the point. Other than Jerry Jones and Dan Synder, I am not seeing a lot of owners tweeting, or giving ill advised interviews to reporters before an emotional game. You know how I feel about the tribute, it's going to be awkward. If I were Jim , no tribute and no comments to reporters all week. I'm just heading to my owners box game day. Maybe you send him a private letter or something , wishing him good luck outside the public eye, the week of the game. That way , you're just concentrating on a Colts victory without further distractions.

Right. At a certain point, it became pretty clear what was going to happen. I'll never forget the video of Irsay and Manning hugging at the airport. I'm pretty sure they had discussions after the decision was final.

Okay sure about their families, about their tenure together, & and about the role each person played in the other one's NFL Legacy...About who the next INDY QB would be...Sorry, SW1 just can't take that preposterous leap of faith. Not in a million years Superman. 

So, to simplify: You don't believe it, therefore, it didn't happen.

I 'm sorry care to show me definite proof of your thesis Superman?  I will accept a personal phone call from Peyton Manning to end this little controversy. Let me know if you can arrange it. SW1 has been wrong before, but your hypothesis is equally as flawed or as plausible as mine is with all due respect. 

What proof do you have at your disposal to document your version of events as you believe they unfolded exactly? Where you on the plane sitting next to Peyton Manning & Jim Irsay? I'd love to hear that tale word for word. Go ahead...

There is enough here if you want to take it as Irsay slapping Manning in the face you can.  The key is how you take it.  Honestly knowing Irsay the way he has been covered in Indianapolis I don't think he was trying to attack Manning.  He was saying what many of the members of the forum have said over the years.  That the Colts didn't win as much as we would have liked in the playoffs.  I don't think he holds Peyton as the only person responsible for that.  I think what he is doing as saying hey we got a second chance to do it again with another star QB so we are doing it a different way because the way we tried it last time didn't work.  You know what they say about the definition of insanity is?  To keep trying something that you know doesn't work hoping for a different out come. 

Of course, Irsay prefers rings to stats!  Stats are useless to him!  I imagine Irsay as a showman that wants to flash two fists full of championship bling.

Oddly, I don't care for Irsay as a person- actually, I don't care for anyone that is a billionaire(you don't make that much money without being disgustingly greedy!)- but I do like Irsay as the owner of my favorite team.  He is competitive and, I think, cares about Colt fans showing up at games(even though it's in his selfish best interests to do so).

Most people on this forum are probably old enough to remember Old Man Irsay.  You have to admit Jimmy's much better than that old curmudgeon!

That is kind of the point. Other than Jerry Jones and Dan Synder, I am not seeing a lot of owners tweeting, or giving ill advised interviews to reporters before an emotional game. You know how I feel about the tribute, it's going to be awkward. If I were Jim , no tribute and no comments to reporters all week. I'm just heading to my owners box game day. Maybe you send him a private letter or something , wishing him good luck outside the public eye, the week of the game. That way , you're just concentrating on a Colts victory without further distractions.

Ill advised in your mind (which, again, is more concerned with the behavior of the Colts owner than that of most Colts fans).

But whatever, it doesn't matter. I don't think anyone of this matters once the game starts. The tribute is, as several other posters have mentioned, a Colts tradition. This is what the Colts do when a former player comes back to play in Indy. To NOT do it for Manning would be more awkward, because it's breaking tradition.

As for Irsay's behavior, I don't care about him tweeting or doing interviews or the like. In the same vein as the tribute, it would be more awkward for him to go completely dark this week. This is a special week for the Colts and for Manning. I think it's completely unprecedented. (Montana never returned to SF as an opponent. The Favre return to Green Bay was a different situation.) I don't think there's anything wrong with treating it as a special week. Trying to act like it's not would kind of be a slap in the face.

Okay sure about their families, about their tenure together, & and about the role each person played in the other one's NFL Legacy...About who the next INDY QB would be...Sorry, SW1 just can't take that preposterous leap of faith. Not in a million years Superman. 

I 'm sorry care to show me definite proof of your thesis Superman?  I will accept a personal phone call from Peyton Manning to end this little controversy. Let me know if you can arrange it. SW1 has been wrong before, but your hypothesis is equally as flawed or as plausible as mine is with all due respect. 

What proof do you have at your disposal to document your version of events as you believe they unfolded exactly? Where you on the plane sitting next to Peyton Manning & Jim Irsay? I'd love to hear that tale word for word. Go ahead...

You prove it DIDN'T happen. Otherwise, it's your opinion.

I personally don't care. I doubt Irsay would make something like this up, but whatever. It doesn't matter.

There is enough here if you want to take it as Irsay slapping Manning in the face you can. The key is how you take it. Honestly knowing Irsay the way he has been covered in Indianapolis I don't think he was trying to attack Manning. He was saying what many of the members of the forum have said over the years. That the Colts didn't win as much as we would have liked in the playoffs. I don't think he holds Peyton as the only person responsible for that. I think what he is doing as saying hey we got a second chance to do it again with another star QB so we are doing it a different way because the way we tried it last time didn't work. You know what they say about the definition of insanity is? To keep trying something that you know doesn't work hoping for a different out come.

I get your point, but by continuing to talk about playoff failures when Manning was quarterback, almost makes Irsay sound like a Patriots fan , with the regular season comments, and the one ring comments. This had to be the probably the biggest scab you could pick on Manning.

Sometimes people do or say things that you just cant wrap your mind around. Irsay was quoted in an article that was published nationally. Do you really, really think he would quote PM, and LIE? If he did lie, would he not think it would be exposed? 

I know your setting there in your Darth Vader facemask saying, "Yoda would NEVER say this"   

ahh come on man....

I will grant you that since Andrew Luck went to the Manning pass academy Peyton knew how exceptional a QB Luck truly was, but to say that Manning offered up Luck as his successor is like saying that Jim Irsay talked Manning out of going to San Francisco & riding with John Elway in Denver simply because he forgave John Elway for refusing to be drafted by INDY in 1983 & Jim wanted Peyton to exchange 1 horse mascot for another. 

Also, I meant to say were vs where in the second paragraph of post #66. Proper grammar will be the death of me along with twinkies, but I digress...

Could I be wrong about the Irsay/Manning heart to heart discussion? Okay sure, but I find it ironic for INDY fans who never heard that conversation either to be so adamant/resolute that they are 100% correct & I am 100% wrong.  Just an observation. Nothing more; nothing less. 

I will grant you that since Andrew Luck went to the Manning pass academy Peyton knew how exceptional a QB Luck truly was, but to say that Manning offered up Luck as his successor is like saying that Jim Irsay talked Manning out of going to San Francisco & riding with John Elway in Denver simply because he forgave John Elway for refusing to be drafted by INDY in 1983 & Jim wanted Peyton to exchange 1 horse mascot for another. 

Also, I meant to say were vs where in the second paragraph of post #66. Proper grammar will be the death of me along with twinkies, but I digress...

Could I be wrong about the Irsay/Manning heart to heart discussion? Okay sure, but I find it ironic for INDY fans who never heard that conversation either to be so adamant/resolute that they are 100% correct & I am 100% wrong.  Just an observation. Nothing more; nothing less. 

You've got it backward. You're the one being dogmatic, insisting that it absolutely could NOT have happened.

You prove it DIDN'T happen. Otherwise, it's your opinion.

I personally don't care. I doubt Irsay would make something like this up, but whatever. It doesn't matter.

Serve & volley right back at you Superman. You proved absolutely nothing either...A stalemate then.