Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Brown on Trich

tony1287

I was watching the pre game show for the fame tonight and Jim Brown pretty much dogged trent in every way when asked what he thought about the trade. No disrespect intended towards brown since he is one of the all time greats but I don't know what his problem is with trent. Rich was projected as the best rb to come out since peterson and he has all the intangibles to be great. Am I missing something here???

I was watching the pre game show for the fame tonight and Jim Brown pretty much dogged trent in every way when asked what he thought about the trade. No disrespect intended towards brown since he is one of the all time greats but I don't know what his problem is with trent. Rich was projected as the best rb to come out since peterson and he has all the intangibles to be great. Am I missing something here???

Jim Brown may be the best all time RB in history but his personal choices and judgement is very questionable. Naturally he is going to rag on TRich since he don't want to put himself in dire straights with the Browns being he is trying to get his gig back with them. After all not too many ex players can draw a check just for advising. 

Brown hasn't been a fan of Trent.  He has called him an average RB and said trading him was a brilliant move for the Browns.  He didn't want the Browns to take him so high coming out of college.  I think he said he didn't see anything special on film.  There's the small possibility that Brown was jealous that a new, young RB could have taken a lot of his thunder.  Regardless, it's just one person's opinion.  Grigson and Pagano have a different opinion and that matters more to our team

3.9 per carry for 20 games is what you're missing?

There are lots of reasons but its a results-based league..

So far, Jim Brown is just being honest speaking his mind....like we do here

Jim Brown was honored during the half time of the first ever game I was brought to as a child.  He was still playing for the Browns and they brought him out during the half time to give him awards.  Can you imagine that happening in today's game?  But that's how much he was worshiped in Cleveland at the time.  He was the greatest of his generation, there's not argument about that.

All that being said, if you followed him since he retired, he's hardly been a role model.  He physically abused women, he gave horrendous career advice to young players sometimes ruining their future, and was never exactly a pillar of the community.

I couldn't care any less what Jim Brown thinks about anything.

I'm really confused about this because last week on Inside the NFL he stated he called Trent because "he's a friend," and said it was beneficial to both teams. Then went on into an explanation by saying something to the extent that, first it will make both players have less to put on their shoulders thus making the team better.

Doesn't really make much sense eh??????????????

I did like what I heard from Trent today on 1070 am.

He said:

1. The100 yard games will come, he emphasized the plural sense.

2. He stated himself the teams have "stacked the box," contrary to what some posters think the opposite of. I'll go with his words on this one, sorry guys. He also said that when teams stack the box, it gets the passing game going w Luck.

3. Bob Lamey said its very hard for Trent learn the playbook. This makes sense considering some other players aren't even used to it yet and they had camp, preseason, and plenty of time to study it.

I really like this kid.

This. I never understood why 3.5 ypc was bad for this very reason. You're essentiallg saying a first down every 3 plays isnt good enough.

NFL average YPC is 4.2. That's why. 

No player gets his YPC exactly every single run. So it's not like you're automatically going to get a first down every time you give him the ball 3 times.

He could break of a 12 yards run on first down and then get 3 carries in a row where gets only 2 yards and then we have to punt and he's still averaging 3.5 YPC.

NFL average YPC is 4.2. That's why.

No player gets his YPC exactly every single run. So it's not like you're automatically going to get a first down every time you give him the ball 3 times.

He could break of a 12 yards run on first down and then get 3 carries in a row where gets only 2 yards and then we have to punt and he's still averaging 3.5 YPC.

You just described an average of 4.5.

Perhaps a compelling argument why that number is a little overrated lol.

You just described an average of 4.5.

Perhaps a compelling argument why that number is a little overrated lol.

12+2= 14

14/4= 3.5.

Looking at it now, I can see how what I wrote was confusing. I mean he got 3 carries for a total of 2 yards.

Trent pretty much gets a free pass with me this year. I will say after the bye week I would like to see some progression but I'm not worried. If by next year we aren't seeing that next level of running say that a Foster or Lynch can do I would say I will be dissappointed.....but who knows...if we don't open wholes it may never matter.

I also heard Jim Brown say nice things about Richardson on Inside the NFL. It's a bit weird that he would say something different during tonight's game. But I've read that he's hypercritical about today's RBs, that they don't gain yards like he used to and they cheat by running out of bounds.

I chalk it up to being old and crotchety. The game just isn't going to be the same as when he played.

Side note: how many times is Cleveland going to honor Jim Brown?

I did like what I heard from Trent today on 1070 am.

He said:

1. The100 yard games will come, he emphasized the plural sense.

2. He stated himself the teams have "stacked the box," contrary to what some posters think the opposite of. I'll go with his words on this one, sorry guys. He also said that when teams stack the box, it gets the passing game going w Luck.

3. Bob Lamey said its very hard for Trent learn the playbook. This makes sense considering some other players aren't even used to it yet and they had camp, preseason, and plenty of time to study it.

I really like this kid.

To the bolded part...

I have stated this numerous times now and if people watched the game, and not just Richardson, they would notice that the majority of the run plays that are called are in a power/jumbo formation. The Colts Pep just isn't helping Trent get into space. The defenses have this figured out and they are stacking the box when these formations are used. I don't think its any coincidence that when the Colts, towards the end of the game Sunday, went with a 4 wide - single back set, with Richardson, he rips off a 12 yard gain. I have no issues with the Colts wanting to run the football, but that doesn't mean they need to telegraph it just to prove a point. Once they start mixing Richardson in to the spread formations, or at least running out of them, he's going to be hard to stop. I highly doubt the guy would have been tackled on the draw play that Brown had. I just don't see a DB or the majority of safety's being able to tackle him on their own. Frsutrating to watch, however the job is mostly getting done  and that's all that really matters.

Jim Brown was honored during the half time of the first ever game I was brought to as a child.  He was still playing for the Browns and they brought him out during the half time to give him awards.  Can you imagine that happening in today's game?  But that's how much he was worshiped in Cleveland at the time.  He was the greatest of his generation, there's not argument about that.

All that being said, if you followed him since he retired, he's hardly been a role model.  He physically abused women, he gave horrendous career advice to young players sometimes ruining their future, and was never exactly a pillar of the community.

I couldn't care any less what Jim Brown thinks about anything.

he is the combination of Jesse Jackson & Jimmy Swaggert of football.  His incendiary remarks are ridiculous.and not too many people even pay attention to him (thank goodness).

I'm really confused about this because last week on Inside the NFL he stated he called Trent because "he's a friend," and said it was beneficial to both teams. Then went on into an explanation by saying something to the extent that, first it will make both players have less to put on their shoulders thus making the team better.

Doesn't really make much sense eh??????????????

It makes a lot of sense when your two faced. 

He was drafted by Mike Holmgren, whom Jim Brown has a personal vendetta against.

100% correct. Brown was getting a check cut to him every month for being a 'special advisor'. When Holmgren was GM he questioned why Brown was being paid for being a 'special advisor' since that was not done by other teams and was Brown just collecting money for nothing. Brown was seeing his cash cow disappear right in front of his eyes and developed a hate for Holmgren. Every since then Brown has been talking positive about everything the Browns do no matter if it's good or bad. He is not going to be negative on anything the Browns do because his cash cow might go dry. 

As Patrick Daugherty of Rotoworld pointed out, Richardson simply isn't finding and hitting holes quickly enough, and it's ended in far too many runs for no gain. 

But there's a flip side to the argument, as the Colts haven't put Richardson in the best situations to succeed. During a film study of the Jacksonville game, I found that Richardson ran behind a fullback on 15 of his 20 carries. On those carries, the Jaguars' defense tended to play the run first, and Richardson gained just 2.5 yards per carry.

On the five carries that he obtained without a fullback, Richardson averaged 4.5 yards per carry. 

While the circumstances don't excuse Richardson for poor vision and decisiveness at times, they do give us a hint as to how the Colts are using him: to set up defenses. Defenses become much more wary of the run with a fullback in the game, and the Colts are taking advantage of that. 

With a fullback on the field, the Colts averaged 10.4 yards per passing play, while just 6.3 without against Jacksonville. Whether it was using play-action or not, the Colts were able to have a lot of success through the air when the fullback was on the field, and Richardson's ability/willingness to take a beating on the ground is a part of that.

from bleacher report tells abit bout him