Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Richardson "learning curve"

HawkeyesColts

In all honesty it will probably take him all season.  Not saying he can't be productive during that time but there is a reason why teams have OTAs and training camp and preseason.  Like my coach used to say.  Practice does NOT make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect.  His mantra was you have to practice a play 100 times to get it perfect and then you have to practice it perfectly 100 times to do it perfect in a game.  And there is just not the time to practice that during the season when practices are focused on implementing the game plan not practicing the playbook.

Now, I will say it tends to be easier for running backs but I don't expect any thing big from him until after the bye week.  And really nothing consistent until next season.

In all honesty it will probably take him all season.  Not saying he can't be productive during that time but there is a reason why teams have OTAs and training camp and preseason.  Like my coach used to say.  Practice does NOT make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect.  His mantra was you have to practice a play 100 times to get it perfect and then you have to practice it perfectly 100 times to do it perfect in a game.  And there is just not the time to practice that during the season when practices are focused on implementing the game plan not practicing the playbook.

Now, I will say it tends to be easier for running backs but I don't expect any thing big from him until after the bye week.  And really nothing consistent until next season.

I don't believe there is such a thing as perfection. I like to say "practice makes persistence".

I love this post for one reason it shows that realism doesn't have to mean pessimism. I also think your time scale is pretty accurate

I hear you, but don't agree. Like you said, RBs have it a little easier. He's been playing ball for a while, the verbiage will come quick. He'll know the lanes and responsibilities. It will take a little time to learn the linemen. I'm guessing he's fully up to speed in two weeks.

How long did Bradshaw practice? I think he's got it.

The only thing I think will take time will be learning the protections, and the hurry up / no huddle stuff. And that's fine, because we have Bradshaw and Brown, who are more familiar with the offense and the verbiage. I'm thinking his production as a runner continually ticks up this season, while he continues to yield to Bradshaw late in the half and late in the game, and on third down.

alot more will have to into it than that, He can learn all the verbage (and he will)...get familiar with all the O Linemen (and he will)...learn all the pass blocking assignments (and he will)....Learn all the hurry up/no huddle stuff(again he will).....But he has to learn to read blocks and where the hole is better to become the runner we all expect him to be.

Just watching Richardson compared to Bradshaw...Bradshaw has better, quicker lateral movement...Richardson runs a bit high, not lower and behind his pads - Bradshaw better at this...Bradshaw catches the ball very well and immediately gets going downfield - Richardson is not as good a receiver (more drops) and takes more time to turn around and get going.

Just watching Richardson compared to Bradshaw...Bradshaw has better, quicker lateral movement...Richardson runs a bit high, not lower and behind his pads - Bradshaw better at this...Bradshaw catches the ball very well and immediately gets going downfield - Richardson is not as good a receiver (more drops) and takes more time to turn around and get going.

Trent was also only with the team for 3 days. Not taking away anything from one game.

Not exactly sure what his learning curve is or should be. But I'll judge his performance at the end of the season. He didn't have an off-season or pre-season with us and jumped in cold-turkey. I'm going to give him a lot of latitude and COMPLETELY disregard any criticism born from his time in Cleveland...the same way I disregard any criticism of DHB from his time in Oakland.

this is very accurate and was a big discussion in cleveland. if he could or couldnt change his running style. he runs high and not behind his pads another problem is stopping his momentum in or before the hole. the nfl is a one cut and up-field league. trent has a habit of hopping and jump cutting multiple times.

this is very accurate and was a big discussion in cleveland. if he could or couldnt change his running style. he runs high and not behind his pads another problem is stopping his momentum in or before the hole. the nfl is a one cut and up-field league. trent has a habit of hopping and jump cutting multiple times.

I am hoping all this gets cleared up with experience and learning a few things from Bradshaw.

I believe he will have the run plays down by Jacksonvile. There are maybe 8 base run plays and some teams focus on 5. He should have some of the protections down because he learned a lot in Cleveland. and I would give him 2 more weeks to perfect it. He has to get the timing down and learn a few pass plays. He said he goes to practice an hour early and leaves an hour after practice. Between game 6 and midseason I believe he will be comfortable.

He's a hell of a football player.  I look for him to make steady progress and become a key cog in this offense.  First thing he needs to improve is catching an Andrew Luck heater.  First game looked like maybe he was used to Weeden throws and Luck's throws seemed to be on him before he was ready.  I really think he could become a monster contributer on this team this year.

I hear you, but don't agree. Like you said, RBs have it a little easier. He's been playing ball for a while, the verbiage will come quick. He'll know the lanes and responsibilities. It will take a little time to learn the linemen. I'm guessing he's fully up to speed in two weeks.

How long did Bradshaw practice? I think he's got it.

Bradshaw had all the OTAs, training camp and preseason.  He may not have been playing all that time but he was getting the plays, watching the line, who picks up whom and where, versus the different formations and defenses.

As far as the he's been playing ball for a while, he's been in one system in the NFL one year, he's not a veteran.  But I will leave you one thought, if T.Rich does well this year but then has a monster year in 2014, what would be the reason for his getting better?

Bradshaw had all the OTAs, training camp and preseason.  He may not have been playing all that time but he was getting the plays, watching the line, who picks up whom and where, versus the different formations and defenses.

As far as the he's been playing ball for a while, he's been in one system in the NFL one year, he's not a veteran.  But I will leave you one thought, if T.Rich does well this year but then has a monster year in 2014, what would be the reason for his getting better?

Better decision making behind the O Line, he seems to seek out contact, not a bad thing at his size but I think he could make better decisions at times running the ball

Better decision making behind the O Line, he seems to seek out contact, not a bad thing at his size but I think he could make better decisions at times running the ball

i dont know if its just me...but this yr i dont care about trent stats all i care about is winning everyone lets not forget this is not trent team but andrew lucks team but i agree with you on that bradshaw looks quick in his decision making and finishing runs hard, but a contract yr will do that,  bradshaw leads the charge this yr and trent and bradshaw next if vick ballard is not right after this injury 

I'm not arguing with you, I think he will get better but it will be in more subtle ways.  Which may not be noticed too much.  I don't think his yards will increase that much next year simply because he'll probably have the same number of touches.

Don't forget, he played for a pro team for two years before he joined the Browns.

He also said that some of the verbiage is the same as the Browns.  They are both west coast offenses and he was a coach under Norv Turner so I can see there will be a lot of similarities. That should help speed it up but he won't be completely up to speed for a while.

I think  it important to clarify the WCO moniker.  The original West Coast offense was Don Coryell's  pass first alternative to the then popular Pro Set. It is now known as the Vertical attack (or Air Coryell) and Norv (who learned it from Coryell asst Ernie Zampese) is indeed is a disciple of that.  2013 is his first  OC gig since HC of Chargers. But the WCO moniker didn't stick, because-

It was Bill Walsh' genius efficiency offense that was coined the West Coast Offense in a Sport Illustrated article in the early eighties, and it has stuck ever since.  The two have different philosophies and likely verbiage. Pat Shurmur was the Browns head coach in 2012 and Brad Childress the OC. Both are disciples from the Walsh WCO coaching tree. I'll bet that terminology TRich learned last year is closer to Pep's hybrid "No Coast" O scheme here.  And Trent has more experience in that as you allude to.

Coryell coaching tree notables-  Norv Turner, Al Saunders, Cam Cameron, Tom Moore (via Sid Gillman, like Coryell was), Mike Martz, and Bruce Arians, (and Tony Dungy via Chuck Knoll)

Bill Walsh coaching tree notables - Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, Mike Smith, Marty Morhninweg, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Joe Philiben

These aren't the only ones, but a representative sample.

I believe he will have the run plays down by Jacksonvile. There are maybe 8 base run plays and some teams focus on 5. He should have some of the protections down because he learned a lot in Cleveland. and I would give him 2 more weeks to perfect it. He has to get the timing down and learn a few pass plays. He said he goes to practice an hour early and leaves an hour after practice. Between game 6 and midseason I believe he will be comfortable.

I would go with your answer.

These guys are all learning together and much of what PEP did Sunday was very fresh stuff.

I think Andrew only threw one ball beyond 15 yards. And the heavy pkg with Reitz was used a lot.

We will get better at the Reitz pkg and running it down their throat. Teams will have to adjust to stop it.

And then, they open up for our long ball. And that is just one reason to like a good running game. :36dancing:

I would go with your answer.

These guys are all learning together and much of what PEP did Sunday was very fresh stuff.

I think Andrew only threw one ball beyond 15 yards. And the heavy pkg with Reitz was used a lot.

We will get better at the Reitz pkg and running it down their throat. Teams will have to adjust to stop it.

And then, they open up for our long ball. And that is just one reason to like a good running game. :36dancing:

Exactly!  Can you imagine if the Vikings had Peyton?  (I'm not saying our RBs are AP, nor that Luck is Manning)

We'll strive to be more like the Patriots were last year, a very good running team with a deadly passing attack that would destroy you if you start putting 9 in the box.

haha! Nice try! :jump:

If you can't define perfection absolutely then how can it tangibly exist?

Nice try? You yourself admitted it was a subjective measure. Perfection to one man, may not be for another. Your getting a little too philosophical on this.

Not so different then the classification for art and beauty. You couldn't give me "tangible" definitions for either, but they both exist. And they are all different for everyone.

Just because in your mind perfection doesn't exist doesn't make that truth. That's just your truth.

If I'm shooting a target, and hit exactly where I aimed, and exactly where I wanted. I would call that perfection.

If Peyton Manning ran a play, and dropped the ball precisely where he wanted it to be, and the reciever was in the exact right spot where he planned. Peyton would likely call that a perfect play.