Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Richardson "learning curve"

HawkeyesColts

Nice try? You yourself admitted it was a subjective measure. Perfection to one man, may not be for another. Your getting a little too philosophical on this.

Not so different then the classification for art and beauty. You couldn't give me "tangible" definitions for either, but they both exist. And they are all different for everyone.

Just because in your mind perfection doesn't exist doesn't make that truth. That's just your truth.

If I'm shooting a target, and hit exactly where I aimed, and exactly where I wanted. I would call that perfection.

If Peyton Manning ran a play, and dropped the ball precisely where he wanted it to be, and the reciever was in the exact right spot where he planned. Peyton would likely call that a perfect play.

I could give you a tangible definition of "beauty" but that doesn't mean that we would apply that definition to the same thing. Saying that something is beautiful isn't an absolute and complete statement. Two things can be beautiful yet one could be more beautiful than the other. Perfection, on the other hand and by its very definition, must be absolute. One perfect thing cannot be more perfect than another (I managed to get that sentence down to two "perfects", having started with 5 :L).

Maybe perfection does exist, I'm not completely opposed to the concept, however, I would suggest that it certainly doesn't exist on the level that you discussed. A play in which Peyton Manning combined with his receiver in a manner so efficient that he could not have been a single millimeter more accurate and the receiver could not have been a single millimeter better positioned would be the rarest of events. Similarly, if you were to shoot a target so accurately that you wouldn't desire to move your bullet even the width of an atom in any direction (were that possible) then, again, this would be the most rare of events.

As a philosophical phenomenon, sure, perfection may exist. But I don't believe that any real life event or occurrence, any work of art or fiction, any combination of skills and traits, anything that we can tangibly do or see can be sincerely described as perfect. 

I could give you a tangible definition of "beauty" but that doesn't mean that we would apply that definition to the same thing. Saying that something is beautiful isn't an absolute and complete statement. Two things can be beautiful yet one could be more beautiful than the other. Perfection, on the other hand and by its very definition, must be absolute. One perfect thing cannot be more perfect than another (I managed to get that sentence down to two "perfects", having started with 5 :L).

Maybe perfection does exist, I'm not completely opposed to the concept, however, I would suggest that it certainly doesn't exist on the level that you discussed. A play in which Peyton Manning combined with his receiver in a manner so efficient that he could not have been a single millimeter more accurate and the receiver could not have been a single millimeter better positioned would be the rarest of events. Similarly, if you were to shoot a target so accurately that you wouldn't desire to move your bullet even the width of an atom in any direction (were that possible) then, again, this would be the most rare of events.

As a philosophical phenomenon, sure, perfection may exist. But I don't believe that any real life event or occurrence, any work of art or fiction, any combination of skills and traits, anything that we can tangibly do or see can be sincerely described as perfect.

You could give me your tangible definition of beauty, but the application of that would be useful only to you. Because you set the standards. :)

Just because something is rare, doesn't mean it doesn't exists. Only that it's rare. I didn't say Peyton's thrown dozens upon dozens of perfect passes, and similarly perfect catches, but I'm sure he has a few he thinks of as perfection. Similarly I have instances in my life where I've achieved something absolutely the way I intended, and it couldn't have been better.

But here we are again to it being a subjective measures as opposed to an imaginary one. Everyone has their own standards. Mine don't have to agree with anyone else's to be true. And the same goes for yours.

You could give me your tangible definition of beauty, but the application of that would be useful only to you. Because you set the standards. :)

Just because something is rare, doesn't mean it doesn't exists. Only that it's rare. I didn't say Peyton's thrown dozens upon dozens of perfect passes, and similarly perfect catches, but I'm sure he has a few he thinks of as perfection. Similarly I have instances in my life where I've achieved something absolutely the way I intended, and it couldn't have been better.

But here we are again to it being a subjective measures as opposed to an imaginary one. Everyone has their own standards. Mine don't have to agree with anyone else's to be true. And the same goes for yours.

I just think you're throwing that phrase around far too easily. What have you ever done that you can literally and sincerely say could not have been improved upon? Even by a fraction of a second, or a fraction of a millimeter, or by some other measurement that is so minuscule that it almost cannot be measured?

I just think you're throwing that phrase around far too easily. What have you ever done that you can literally and sincerely say could not have been improved upon? Even by a fraction of a second, or a fraction of a millimeter, or by some other measurement that is so minuscule that it almost cannot be measured?

I think your too stingy, and it appears our debate has reached an impasse :)

You play much tennis lol? It's a game of the worlds smallest margins, and huge amounts of error. I'm certainly not the only tennis player to hit a perfect shot. They're rare, but watch the best in the world and you'll see them.

Same with pro football.

I think your too stingy, and it appears our debate has reached an impasse :)

You play much tennis lol? It's a game of the worlds smallest margins, and huge amounts of error. I'm certainly not the only tennis player to hit a perfect shot. They're rare, but watch the best in the world and you'll see them.

Same with pro football.

I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse here but I'll take one last shot!  :jump:

Do you not agree that, in a game of tennis, every shot can be improved upon? Even if it is by a margin that is so tiny that it is almost immeasurable. Can you really look back at a game winning shot by Roger Federer and say "That shot literally could not have been better"? The ball could not have been hit one millisecond later, one millimeter higher on the bounce, the ball could not have been placed even one millimeter closer to the baseline or the tram line, there could not have been 1/100th of a rotation more forespin on the ball.

If you believe that hitting a shot in that manner is not only possible but has actually occurred numerous times already then your mind works in a wonderful way and you must be a very happy man!

In any case, I've enjoyed our little debate here tonight. This is the last place I thought I'd be arguing with someone over the existence of perfection!  :jump:

I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse here but I'll take one last shot! :jump:

Do you not agree that, in a game of tennis, every shot can be improved upon? Even if it is by a margin that is so tiny that it is almost immeasurable. Can you really look back at a game winning shot by Roger Federer and say "That shot literally could not have been better"? The ball could not have been hit one millisecond later, one millimeter higher on the bounce, the ball could not have been placed even one millimeter closer to the baseline or the tram line, there could not have been 1/100th of a rotation more forespin on the ball.

If you believe that hitting a shot in that manner is not only possible but has actually occurred numerous times already then your mind works in a wonderful way and you must be a very happy man!

In any case, I've enjoyed our little debate here tonight. This is the last place I thought I'd be arguing with someone over the existence of perfection! :jump:

Your definition of perfection is not achievable because the variables your taking into account are immeasurable, or don't exist in many circumstances.

My definition is a feeling and a result that couldn't have gone off better. And if the only way to improve it is at the microscopic level, that's negligible.

Fun debate, but as I said. Clearly we've reached an impasse.

However, if there was a single human who ever hit a perfect tennis shot. It's Roger Federer :).

Wow this went in a very different direction!

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to see it, is it still a flop?

Sorry. Allow me to get us back to regularly scheduled programming.

"FIRE PEP!!!!!!!"

"WHY DID WE TAKE A RB WITH A FIRST ROUND PICK!!!!?!?"

"I MISS PEYTON. LUCK EATS FARTS!!!!!!!!"

Your definition of perfection is not achievable because the variables your taking into account are immeasurable, or don't exist in many circumstances.

My definition is a feeling and a result that couldn't have gone off better. And if the only way to improve it is at the microscopic level, that's negligible.

Fun debate, but as I said. Clearly we've reached an impasse.

However, if there was a single human who ever hit a perfect tennis shot. It's Roger Federer :).

Now that's a statement that I'm happy to agree with!