Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Delano Howell [Merge]

coltsguy510

I think he meant if we lose Bethea in FA.

I hope so and even I don't see the point in doing it. Unless bethea gets offered some absurd contract (Hey Jacksonville Jaguars this pretty much means you, you and you) we're set at safety for 3-4 years. Bethea is only 29, Landry is 28 that's pretty good combo for the next 3-4 years at minimum.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Howell played like a 5 year vet today, hard hitting and tackling. He looks like he'll be a starter for us down the road.

What I want to see is some 3 safety sets.  Put Howell in Landry's spot and bring Landry down as our nickel linebacker.  Our pass defense would be hard to deal with on 3rd downs if we use that package.  

resign Bethea for 2-3 years at most, Howell is not a FA until 2015 so he has 1 more year after this one, Which he will be 24, After those two years then you look the situation over again(after signing Howell to another short term deal with the possibility of renegotiating to a long term deal) and if Howell continues to impress then let Bethea walk for what will be a younger potentially just as good player, Of course if Landry gets a case of the serious injury bug then perhaps you can trade him for a mid to late draft pick to, alot of things are possible right now that were not prior to Howells solid play, Whether they remain possible in the future remains to be seen

I think we have found something Howell.  I know it was just the pre-season but he played really well when asked to start in the pre-season and then backed it up by playing extremely well today.  I don't know if he can slide over and replace Bethea like some have suggested in other threads if we let Bethea walk at the end of the year.  I think he's more suited to play the safety position he plays.  He's more like Landry.