Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Delano Howell [Merge]

coltsguy510

Guest TeamLoloJones

resign Bethea for 2-3 years at most, Howell is not a FA until 2015 so he has 1 more year after this one, Which he will be 24, After those two years then you look the situation over again(after signing Howell to another short term deal with the possibility of renegotiating to a long term deal) and if Howell continues to impress then let Bethea walk for what will be a younger potentially just as good player, Of course if Landry gets a case of the serious injury bug then perhaps you can trade him for a mid to late draft pick to, alot of things are possible right now that were not prior to Howells solid play, Whether they remain possible in the future remains to be seen

I really hope we resign Bethea.  I want 3 quality safeties.  Not just for depth and injuries, but so we can use some 3 safety defenses that seem to cause alot of offenses problems this year.  The saints have been running that defense and it is doing wonders for them.

Howell was very impressive yesterday. He is physical, doesn't back down from anybody and he plays fast. He was good in the preseason and he continues to get better. I feel much better about the safety position if Howell has to fill in. He will be a future starter and probably replace Betha. I love the way he lays the wood. Once he makes his read he gets to the ball carrier like a bolt of lightning.

resign Bethea for 2-3 years at most, Howell is not a FA until 2015 so he has 1 more year after this one, Which he will be 24, After those two years then you look the situation over again(after signing Howell to another short term deal with the possibility of renegotiating to a long term deal) and if Howell continues to impress then let Bethea walk for what will be a younger potentially just as good player, Of course if Landry gets a case of the serious injury bug then perhaps you can trade him for a mid to late draft pick to, alot of things are possible right now that were not prior to Howells solid play, Whether they remain possible in the future remains to be seen

Howell is only on a two year deal as you say but he is not a FA until 2017 . We still own his rights for 4 years like any other rookie. We just have to make qualifying offers to keep him. They will be a little on the high side as he was not drafted so there is no minimum offer that guarantees the round he was drafted in as compensation.