Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking news: Colts trade for Trent Richardson (((merge)))

NCost12

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank goodness this was only one pick. I HATED the Dickerson trade when it happened, all the way through his career in Indy, and to the current date. One of the most absurd trades in NFL history, and the common element is Jim Irsay. On the heels of some of his recent tweets, that's precisely why I'm a bit uncomfortable with the Richardson trade. If just feels more an impulsive reaction than a stepping stone to building a better team.

Hope I'm wrong.

I can honestly say that this is the 1st time I've been really disappointed in a Grigson transaction. You would think as a former O-lineman, he would know that the running game starts up front with the O-line and Trent Richardson IS NOT going to help with our running game. The RB position is SOOOOO over rated it's pathetic and I hate giving up a 1st rder. for one.

I'll be honest with you guys , I would take Bernard Pierce , a third round pick of the Ravens, over Trent Richardson. However, that doesn't mean it's a bad deal for the Colts. He was a #3 1st round pick, but injuries and a 3.6 yards per carry would bring him into a mid-range first round pick , or a high second for him currently in a trade. The Colts have a need , and the Browns want to rebuild . Had I been the Browns and I had heard Irsay previously tweeting that he was going to trade for a running back, I would have squeezed Irsay for an additional third round pick. But then again, that is why they are the Browns.

rhe deal was already done when irsay started tweeting.

The browns must not believe in Richardson and that worries me. With weeden out now they are all but guarenteed a top 5 pick and there is a good potential crop of QB's this year. Thire new QB could have T-rich, one of the better o-lines, Jordan Cameron, Josh gordon and a really solid defense. I just don't understand it.

They are tossing away this season.  Richardson was their biggest trade chip.  I get where you're coming from, but it makes far less sense for the Browns than it does the Colts.  I can't help but think that this works for both teams.  We just can't know for sure until a year from now, probably more.

I can honestly say that this is the 1st time I've been really disappointed in a Grigson transaction. You would think as a former O-lineman, he would know that the running game starts up front with the O-line and Trent Richardson IS NOT going to help with our running game. The RB position is SOOOOO over rated it's pathetic and I hate giving up a 1st rder. for one.

It is overrated, unless you find that guy that stays with your team for 6-8 years like S-Jax, AP, MJD.  He doesn't have to be a top 3 RB to make it worthwhile.  He just has to be good enough to compensate for the passing game in games where the opposing teams run D is weaker than it's secondary.  Have faith man!

He was all pro for the Ravens after Torrey Smith burned him for 2 touchdowns in the playoff game . By the way , Denver brought in Bailey to beat the Colts with Manning in the playoffs, which they never could. Finally , Elway just brought in Manning himself.

Good god, Bailly is 36 years old. Denver couldn't beat the colts because they had jake plummer

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 19, 2013 - profanity
Hidden by Nadine, September 19, 2013 - profanity

What meltdown? Some people seem furious that they are so obviously giving up on this season. Many of them are pleased with it. Mixed reaction just like here.

Sadly I didn't see any that seemed to be mourning the loss of what he's given them on the field - just the "value" lost based on his having been a high draft pick.

This is just a few from the board:

wth??????

This makes ABSOLUTELY NO F***ING SENSE!!!!!!!!!

wow. thought it was a joke at first.

wow.

This is the dumbest f***ing thing I've EVER heard.

We had a back that we could root for in Richardson. Young. Hungry. TALENTED... on a talentless team. YO! WHY? yo?

Just a few. Yes they're totally calm over there.

Trent Richardson rookie stats 2012

267 carries 950 yards. 3.6 average

Richardson passes the eye test... some of the runs he broke off last year were mind boggling... He looked impossible to tackle at times. He will make something out of nothing on many plays, not to mention, his nose for the endzone is going help us improve our efficiency in that dept...  Health is the major concern.. He played 15 games last year, but he was hurt for most of them...

This is just a few from the board:

Just a few. Yes they're totally calm over there.

I said it was mixed.

I could copy posts myself that rationally accepted it, and some which were thrilled.

OR people could go over there and read it themselves.

rhe deal was already done when irsay started tweeting.

He tweeted when Ballard went down that Grigs was going to wheel and deal. Knowing how bad Irsay panders to the fans and wants to be loved, Cleveland should have held our for an additional third round pick. Had they done that , I would have liked the trade better for the Browns.

I was shocked to hear of this trade, and only that we only gave up a first round pick! T-Rich helps us establish the run, not to mention his monster presence and physical style of play which we now need.

Richardson does nothing to establish our running game...unless he's going to block for himself too. Sorry, but I think your going to be disappointed in his value to the team. We need O-line help to establish any kind of consistent running game.

He tweeted when Ballard went down that Grigs was going to wheel and deal. Knowing how bad Irsay panders to the fans and wants to be loved, Cleveland should have held our for an additional third round pick. Had they done that , I would have liked the trade better for the Browns.

how do you know they didn't do that?

maybe grigson originally offered a 2nd.

I like the trade. Whoever we were going to pick in the draft, or whoever the browns draft, is not going to be a sure thing. Nobody outside the top 10 is. And for those of you who say he is injury prone: he missed ONE game last year. Yes he had injured ribs pretty much the whole season, but doesn't that speak to how good he is considering he ran for nearly 1000 yards and scored 11 touchdowns? And ALL running backs get injured. Bradshaw is known to get injured. Ballard just tore his ACL. AD tore his ACL. Every running back will miss a game or two every year. Watch the guys college highlights and you'll be impressed. I promise you he is good, not AP good, but maybe like a better version of Frank Gore, and he's 22 years old so stop complaining. If it doesn't work out and he sucks, you can complain in 2-3 years because you won't know for sure until then. And RBs are valuable. Look at all the best teams. SF, SEA and super champion ravens. All have good RBs. Imagine an elite QB with a great RB, and that's what we have now. And if you point out his YPC from last year, consider he was playing injured the whole season, with an awful offense around him, and 3 of the best defenses in the league (BAL, CIN and PIT) in his division.

I would think Richardson is thrilled to be coming to a first rate organization with a lot of good, young players.  He was excellent in college and already has a year of NFL experience.  Sure he's had injuries, but who doesn't in their first couple years in the NFL.  It's a man's league and a lot of what worked for the boys in college gets you hurt in the NFL.  I think durability is a learned trait and Trent Richardson will fine tune his game to minimize his injury potential in the future.  I like the move. 

how do you know they didn't do that?

maybe grigson originally offered a 2nd.

Maybe they did but if I was the Browns GM , I would have played poker with Grigson and held out for a 1 and 3 in the hopes that Irsay would interfere and make additional concessions. The Browns are done anyway , and Irsay wants to win badly this year and are desperate for a running back. The Browns should have had the upper hand, and if they didn't get a 1 and 3 , not just make the move. Because he is young and a former top 5 first round pick, that is how I would have played it.

Browns forum having a meltdown (as I would be as well) *mod edit*

Yes, I have family members that are long time Browns fans, and they are furious.  My niece just told me she was going to sell all her Browns stuff.   haha  I said   "don't expect to get much for it"   :facepalm:    

I don't blame them for wanting to give up...  seriously.

I think its a mistake to give up a No,.1 for a running back when you have 2 and you badly need O-line help which is best drafted

..and RBs just do not have high value or long shelf life

BUT

I'm glad my team isn't afraid to gamble, make trades,  free agents..

..They want to go to the Super Bowl THIS YEAR...

They want to be good NOW....not someday

...as a fan..I appreciate that....

A lot of people complained about Irsay's tweet because it supposedly could ruin a trade or scare teams away...  

I was just thinking... It is possible we thought we had zero chance at Richardson but because of Irsay's tweet, the browns came to us with the trade...  just kinda sayin it goes both ways.

My dream come true. I love this trade and think even more of Grigson. People laugh at Jshipp but it looks like he was right about Lacy from the reports I have read and I think he was right about us needing a top back. The oline will be squared away soon and very soon and when it is, we will have a dominant offense in every way imaginable. It doesn't matter if we get the backs first or the line first as long as we get them and we will.

A lot of people complained about Irsay's tweet because it supposedly could ruin a trade or scare teams away...

I was just thinking... It is possible we thought we had zero chance at Richardson but because of Irsay's tweet, the browns came to us with the trade... just kinda sayin it goes both ways.

It is possible , but you don't want to look desperate for a trade , or tip your hand. Not many other teams , I don't believe , we're on need of a running back.

Sigh. Is this really worth quoting each other 500 times?

You stated people could over there and read the positive posts about the trade and how it benefits the Browns. I'm saying people can go over there and read the negative posts and how it hurts the Browns.

Sorry, I said "huh" because your "it goes both ways" comment made absolutely no sense to me. And now I know why.

I wasn't saying that people could go over there and read the positive posts, I suggested that people could go over there and read all of the posts themselves and draw their own conclusions.

You made a blanket statement that suggested uniform hatred bordering on mental breakdown from Browns fans. I only replied to point out that you were exaggerating substantially. To copy over the comments of four people to "prove" your point is really pretty silly - as is this conversation (something that we seem to agree on).

The reality is that some fans are extremely upset, some fans are extremely happy, and some fans are scratching their heads trying to make up their minds. Reactions all over board - just as you would expect - just like on here.

what are you going to give up? Trent is 1st Rd material and a beast. You can get OL in rds 3,4,5 for that matter.