Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict the biggest free agent bust this season.

Dustin

Speak of the Devil and he will appear :) If anything you encouraged me, but just having a little good old-fashioned ribbing fun.

I certainly wasn't out for blood lol.

Are you like "Bloody Mary" and if I say your name three times in the mirror, you appear?!?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bradshaw has missed 8 games in 5 seasons.

I would check the injury history and the types myself if I had access to my laptop but just go to the Giants board and see what they have to say about him. The guy is good on the field but he misses a lot of practice and has been known to spend plenty of time in the tub. Plus like I said I still see the Colts as a pass first team and if he's splitting carries with two other guys it usually doesn't bode well. Of course I could be.wrong but this whole thread is just about theories and opinions. No one is wrong.

I certainly wasn't out for blood lol.

Are you like "Bloody Mary" and if I say your name three times in the mirror, you appear?!?

Yep. I do it to myself sometimes, as my avatar is certainly the face you want to see in the mirror.

Yep. I do it to myself sometimes, as my avatar is certainly the face you want to see in the mirror.

Way of topic, and I don't know how much you actually follow her, but shame Maria won't be playing the US Open this year lol.

Way of topic, and I don't know how much you actually follow her, but shame Maria won't be playing the US Open this year lol.

Yeah sucks. She's only played in one major since Wimbledon and she dropped out of that one too if I'm not mistaken. She's had strange injury luck ever since I put her picture up....I think I've jinxed her with my own bad luck haha I hope she'll get back to showing off on the court soon, I'm tired of hearing about Serena and Azarenka.

So how do we measure a bust? Is it remuneration against production? 

Purely for what you will get out of him for your buck it's Wallace for me, though he liked quite sharp the other night against (dare I mention?!) the Texans. Case is there for Harvin too but that's just because of the injury, same stick can be used somewhat with Reed if he's for any serious amount of time .

For those who've suggested Bradshaw/DHB I'd argue their contacts are so low risk to the teams it will be hard for them to be considered a bigger bust then some FAs. 

I would check the injury history and the types myself if I had access to my laptop but just go to the Giants board and see what they have to say about him. The guy is good on the field but he misses a lot of practice and has been known to spend plenty of time in the tub. Plus like I said I still see the Colts as a pass first team and if he's splitting carries with two other guys it usually doesn't bode well. Of course I could be.wrong but this whole thread is just about theories and opinions. No one is wrong.

why would splitting Carries on a pass first team be a bad thing as far as injuries are concerned?

why would splitting Carries on a pass first team be a bad thing as far as injuries are concerned?

It isn't. I was talking two separate points. Splitting carries when there are two other backs means less production and less fulfillment of the big expectations I'm sure the FO had when they first signed him. Of course a RB doesn't necessarily need massive carries to be considered good but I'm sure when he was signed the FO had more in mind for him than just pass pro on third down. Plus, like receivers, though to a lesser extent, RBs want touches too. If the offense actually sticks to what was first implied by the OC when he came aboard, then I don't think Bradshaw will have any problems. Unless he gets hurt again.

I'll go with Greg Jennings. Five year deal worth over $40 million, coming off some injuries, and is catching passes from Ponder instead of Rodgers. I wanted the Patriots to make a run at him but he got way over-paid by Minnesota.

Im not 100% sold on the Mike Wallace hate. Sure, he got a large contract. But Im not sure that makes him a future bust, or over paid. 5-60 ( $12m yr)

He's right in the same ball park, as guys like Sidney Rice 8.2m, Bowe 11.2m,  Santonio 9m,  Garcon 8.5m.....Nearly every single one of those guys got a 11-15m signing bonus. Including Wallace. ....The guy was on a run first team, and put up some pretty solid numbers.

Excluding his rookie year, he avgd 65rec/1095yds/8+tds a season, which is significantly more than all of those other WR.  (Garcons BEST single season was 70/947/6).

My pick would probably be Kruger, someone I think was signed to reach the upper echelon of DEs, and probably wont be.

I'll go with Greg Jennings. Five year deal worth over $40 million, coming off some injuries, and is catching passes from Ponder instead of Rodgers. I wanted the Patriots to make a run at him but he got way over-paid by Minnesota.

Ooo, good call, I didnt think of that one. 

That would be my defensive pick too. They paid starter money to a backup. 

The Dolphins went balls out with their contracts and signings this year. They really are trying to unseat the Patriots, but I still don't see it. Wouldn't be surprised if they managed to get a wild card though.

It isn't. I was talking two separate points. Splitting carries when there are two other backs means less production and less fulfillment of the big expectations I'm sure the FO had when they first signed him. Of course a RB doesn't necessarily need massive carries to be considered good but I'm sure when he was signed the FO had more in mind for him than just pass pro on third down. Plus, like receivers, though to a lesser extent, RBs want touches too. If the offense actually sticks to what was first implied by the OC when he came aboard, then I don't think Bradshaw will have any problems. Unless he gets hurt again.

i don't think the front office expects pro bowl stats from Bradshaw. it will be rb by committee unless he or Ballard significantly are head and shoulders over the other

Avril was signed to a low-risk contract to be a situational pass-rusher on a packed defense... I don't see how he busts.

His cap hit is 4M this year. That's pretty big, but not huge. It's not low risk, imo.

A bust is a person that doesn't perform and live up to expectations. There are a lot of expectations on him in Seattle, and I don't think he'll live up to them, especially if he only has a rotational pass rushing role. 

I don't know the extent of Reed's health issues but if he plays...he won't be a bust. He is as good a FS as there is in football. Suddenly all the players we didn't go after in FA that LOTS of people on here wanted to get (Avril, Kruger, Reed) are all going to bust since they didn't sign with the Colts. I imagine we have just as many guys on this team we signed that are just as likely to bust as the ones being pointed out....lots of question marks on those we brought in. I would prefer to focus on our own team but this is the general forum so I understand. Just looking at things obviously the Harvin transaction didn't work out well but injuries aren't his fault. I do think Greg Jennings production will go down dramatically in Minnesota due to a lot of factors and he would be the one that might be dissappointing.

The Dolphins went balls out with their contracts and signings this year. They really are trying to unseat the Patriots, but I still don't see it. Wouldn't be surprised if they managed to get a wild card though.

Offseason spending champs for sure. Problem is their O-line though. It's going to be hard for Tannehill to throw passes from his back. 

His cap hit is 4M this year. That's pretty big, but not huge. It's not low risk, imo.

A bust is a person that doesn't perform and live up to expectations. There are a lot of expectations on him in Seattle, and I don't think he'll live up to them, especially if he only has a rotational pass rushing role. 

How is there a lot of expectation on him, is this based on anything? He is arguably their third most important pass-rusher. His cap hit is nothing for a pass-rusher these days.

He was brought into be a rotational pass rusher, in a team that will get at the QB with or without him... I don't see where these big expectations come from.

If he was not expected to miss practice and games or parts of games , he would have signed a much bigger contract. Needless to say , there also would have been more teams trying to sign him. He signs a deal with the Colts for 1.25 guaranteed and another 650K in pre game roster bonuses. So you're saying he's a probable bust because he will miss time ?

Kind of like saying a team signs a journeyman guard for league minimum in order to provide some depth and then calling him a bust because he didn't start.

If he was not expected to miss practice and games or parts of games , he would have signed a much bigger contract. Needless to say , there also would have been more teams trying to sign him. He signs a deal with the Colts for 1.25 guaranteed and another 650K in pre game roster bonuses. So you're saying he's a probable bust because he will miss time ?

Kind of like saying a team signs a journeyman guard for league minimum in order to provide some depth and then calling him a bust because he didn't start.

I'm basing it more off of expectations than what figures he's getting paid. Missing time + limited carries in an already pass-happy offense could result in the term "bust" as it is being used in this offseason thread. But it's certainly not the biggest chance for a player to be a bust, as there are some out there getting paid a lot and who don't deserve it or won't live up to it. At least Bradshaw is known as a good runningback and if the offense is balanced then he will see his fair share of carries.

I'm basing it more off of expectations than what figures he's getting paid. Missing time + limited carries in an already pass-happy offense could result in the term "bust" as it is being used in this offseason thread. But it's certainly not the biggest chance for a player to be a bust, as there are some out there getting paid a lot and who don't deserve it or won't live up to it. At least Bradshaw is known as a good runningback and if the offense is balanced then he will see his fair share of carries.

Naa .. you were just breaking stones as everybody jumped on Reed. Bradshaw would never qualify for a big "bust " type player. He is what he is .. a nice RB that has injury issues. If he played in only 6-7 games , it would surprise no one and that's why he's getting paid 1.25 guaranteed. 

Let's do it this way.

Player A is a great college RB that is coming off a bad knee injury. Miami drafts him in the 6th round as teams are not sure he will pan out due to his injury . He signs a 6th round contract for peanut money. If that player just never regains form , he's not considered a "bust" as he was just a 6th round gamble. Some of the posters here call 4th round picks that don't make it "busts." They are mistaken as that is not what "football" people consider busts.

Player B is the same type player . Great RB but no injury issues. Baltimore takes him with the 3rd pick in the draft. Blair Thomas , Tommy Vardell , Bret Fullwood , Rashan Salaam , Tim Biakabutuka , D J Dozier , Curtis Ennis , Lawrence Phillips and Ki jana Carter would be examples of busts.

But like I said , you know better and it's OK to break them back a bit.

Naa .. you were just breaking stones as everybody jumped on Reed. Bradshaw would never qualify for a big "bust " type player. He is what he is .. a nice RB that has injury issues. If he played in only 6-7 games , it would surprise no one and that's why he's getting paid 1.25 guaranteed. 

Let's do it this way.

Player A is a great college RB that is coming off a bad knee injury. Miami drafts him in the 6th round as teams are not sure he will pan out due to his injury . He signs a 6th round contract for peanut money. If that player just never regains form , he's not considered a "bust" as he was just a 6th round gamble. Some of the posters here call 4th round picks that don't make it "busts." They are mistaken as that is not what "football" people consider busts.

Player B is the same type player . Great RB but no injury issues. Baltimore takes him with the 3rd pick in the draft. Blair Thomas , Tommy Vardell , Bret Fullwood , Rashan Salaam , Tim Biakabutuka , D J Dozier , Curtis Ennis , Lawrence Phillips and Ki jana Carter would be examples of busts.

But like I said , you know better and it's OK to break them back a bit.

Fair enough. :) And good examples as well.

Fair enough. :) And good examples as well.

And notice I never piled on your Reed guy during the thread. He's another guy , not entirely different than Bradshaw , that has X amount of tread left on the tires. The contract the Texans signed him to , makes for a not too painful exit if one is needed.