Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Toler vs Giants

Smonroe

Toler looked great.

He got beat a few times but on those plays Eli Manning had all day to throw.

Yeah, that's probably what I was seeing.  Eli had a lot of time on most plays.  I don't think he ever threw at Davis as far as I can remember.

Yeah, that's probably what I was seeing. Eli had a lot of time on most plays. I don't think he ever threw at Davis as far as I can remember.

there was one to Nicks in the first quarter where Manning had all day, and Davis got beat, but I didn't see any others.

I really like our top three cb's in Davis, Toler, and Butler. We are horrible past that hopefully those guys can stay healthy. 

Yep, me too. I am a bit scared of the cheap shots Pete Carroll and his Seahawks fellas can subject us to. Golden Tate and the other WRs do cut blocks and go low on CBs all the time during run plays. Jim Harbaugh does not coach that way, however.

It was really amazing though, what Dungy endured with Jeff Fisher's dirty Titans and JDR's dirty Jags. There was more than a fair share of chippiness and the Colts' mental fortitude saw us through so many years of those. My admiration for Dungy does go up when I see how many things were done the right way in hindsight, though the playoff wins disappointed.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Toler will get better, he seemed to be getting beat off the line, and out of breaks, but his closing speed was remarkable.  He just needs a little more work and he'll be fine.

Yep, me too. I am a bit scared of the cheap shots Pete Carroll and his Seahawks fellas can subject us to. Golden Tate and the other WRs do cut blocks and go low on CBs all the time during run plays. Jim Harbaugh does not coach that way, however.

It was really amazing though, what Dungy endured with Jeff Fisher's dirty Titans and JDR's dirty Jags. There was more than a fair share of chippiness and the Colts' mental fortitude saw us through so many years of those. My admiration for Dungy does go up when I see how many things were done the right way in hindsight, though the playoff wins disappointed.

Well, their offensive line coach is a wife beater

Just nit picking here, but if the ball was way behind Cruz (which I totally saw it that way too) then it should have been deemed uncatchable thus nullifying the PI penalty

It usually has to be severely uncatchable for them to rule that

I'll go back and re-watch the first half later. It looked like he was getting picked on to me.

That's what went through my mind. I think they threw to Davis' side once and then they started pickling on Toler after that.

He looked to be playing off at first but later started pressing more. Great read on the pick. He had a pretty solid game tonight.

Butler also looked good in flashes. Overall, not a bad game by the Corners.

I have to agree with BOTT on this one.  Thats like saying, meh Ariel Castro worked hard and seemed like a cool guy, who cares he kindnapped 3 lil girls and held them for 10 years.

Not really. Those two things are about as similar as the Pacific Ocean and the local fishing hole. Yeah, both are bodies of water, but....

Castro is clearly guilty of heinous wrongdoing (I'm the biggest "innocent until" guy around, but it's pretty obvious what's going on there). Cable was accused, never charged, tried nor convicted. Some of the accusations were strange, and one of the women who supposedly was accusing him later released a statement saying she never accused him and the accusations weren't true. 

Also, the comment being responded to wasn't about the Seahawks offensive line, or their offensive line coach.

I'm not trying to start anything, and I apologize for derailing the thread, but I think the comment was out of place, to say the least.

I'm watching it right now. Had to record it while I was at the Sabbath concert...anyway...Davis is looking pretty much like a shutdown CB right now. Toler is definitely getting picked on. I agree with some of the concerns, but he isn't giving up any big plays. A lot of slants and quick stuff as well as throws in which Eli has a lot of time.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I'm watching it right now. Had to record it while I was at the Sabbath concert...anyway...Davis is looking pretty much like a shutdown CB right now. Toler is definitely getting picked on. I agree with some of the concerns, but he isn't giving up any big plays. A lot of slants and quick stuff as well as throws in which Eli has a lot of time.

Ok here is my Davis-Toler concept...just a thought nobody yell at me for this.   Davis is Revis-like (you just don't throw it at him)

Toler is Cromartie-like (almost pretends to get beat so the qb throws it and he jumps it) Now Davis and Toler are no where near the talent level of Revis-Cromartie, but the style of play seems very similar at this stage...just a thought

Ok here is my Davis-Toler concept...just a thought nobody yell at me for this. Davis is Revis-like (you just don't throw it at him)

Toler is Cromartie-like (almost pretends to get beat so the qb throws it and he jumps it) Now Davis and Toler are no where near the talent level of Revis-Cromartie, but the style of play seems very similar at this stage...just a thought

I think that's a fair thought. Davis certainly is not Revis, but in our CB pairing he is definitely the guy that won't be thrown at much. I just haven't seen Toler enough, here or in AZ, to predict what he will be like. I think the two of them have the potential to be a scary combo.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I think that's a fair thought. Davis certainly is not Revis, but in our CB pairing he is definitely the guy that won't be thrown at much. I just haven't seen Toler enough, here or in AZ, to predict what he will be like. I think the two of them have the potential to be a scary combo.

I just was watching the Toler pick, and as soon as I rewatched it I thought "that is Cromartie's move"...like I said take that analogy with a grain of salt, but it is nice to romanticize about a duo like that...by the way...your picture is my favorite on the forum.

Ok here is my Davis-Toler concept...just a thought nobody yell at me for this. Davis is Revis-like (you just don't throw it at him)

Thanks, it's a great picture that sums him up pretty well. But yeah, it certainly would be nice if Davis-Toler could be like Revis-Cromartie. I want a tandem that teams are legitimately worried about.

I thought the DBs played pretty good myself. It was their first game together and it does take time for these guys to gel. They will get coached up and study some tape and more than likely play better with more reps. We cant forget who they were playing. The Giants are a very good team. There are times when they make defenses look bad. All in all I thought the Colts played pretty good considering what went down last week.  :colts:

My Colts/Jets comparison rears its ugly head once again

Did he look a bit tentative?  Even on the INT, it looked like he was beat but made a great recovery.

I think he'll be fine and is an upgrade.

I think he did get beat for a split second on the INT but immediately rectified it and made a great recovery.

I thought he was good overall tonight. One of the positives i took away anyway.

He played well throughout the game, did get beat on one play but showed great closing speed and picked off Eli. Toler is at his best when he's just playing man coverage, he's not a press CB like Vontae Davis. I also thought Davis played great this game Eli rarely looked his way and Butler was good in coverage as well.

We'll get a better feel once the season starts, when we're giving more than vanilla looks on D, and Landry is back there striking fear into hearts of WRs/TEs. The whole package should look pretty good, things looked a lot better last night in a preseason game where a few defensive starters were missing and we weren't going to show anything exotic on D

Just nit picking here, but if the ball was way behind Cruz (which I totally saw it that way too) then it should have been deemed uncatchable thus nullifying the PI penalty

I agree with you here.  I mean, it may have been "catchable" because it was in teh same zip code, but for all intents and purposes, it wasn't a catchable ball...by anyone.