Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Give it up for Painter

Colts20593

The completion percentage is ugly, but he kept us in the game. Made some big throws and didn't throw any picks (though it was close)

Offense was much better than last week rhythm wise, but they gave up on the run after the 1st quarter, no way that should of happened.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When he gets protection the guy CAN make the passes! Seen him make plenty while at Purdue - really wanted to see him pull this one out so that the haters would give him some props!

First career start - and he had some bumps - most due to bad pass protection, but its clear he does have the ability to play! He just needs to get some experience - and yes he will only get better!

The completion percentage is ugly, but he kept us in the game. Made some big throws and didn't throw any picks (though it was close)

Offense was much better than last week rhythm wise, but they gave up on the run after the 1st quarter, no way that should of happened.

I was saying that on the thread of how the running game is gonna be so much better when peyton comes back.... It wont.. not unless they commit to the run, and the colts didnt in this game..

Painter had an OK game there were some throws that he shouldnt have made but all in all it was a good game for him.

gave up on the run, coaches!

He played as well as we could have expected. Avoid injuries... you know, the six or seven we suffered in one game! (Anthony, Iljana, Foster, Nevis to name a few) + Diem + Moala didn't even suit up, can Caldwell/Coyer/Clyde to some extent (Seriously, it is 3rd and inches... RUN!). If you don't get it it... RUN AGAIN!

Has my vote.

early drops by Garcon and a couple of whiffed blocks by Addai and Brown on blitzes didn't help either. I thought he played well all things considered. I was also hoping to see him lead the team to a win but he didn't get enough help to do so. Yes he threw a couple of bad passes but that's not uncommon for a young QB...especially one with so little in-game experience.

Well, Painter did better than expected! But todays game is still no reason to cheer. 13/30 (44%) is bad without a doubt. 281 yards and 2 TD looks good BUT a lot of these yards thanks to huge runs from Pierre Garcon. At least no interception. So jury is still out let's see how he plays in the next games

He's far from great but he's better than Collins. He played decent. Hit some nice passes but also missed some. I think he gives us our best chance to win. Tonight was the best game all year for the offense and they didn't look out of sync like they have looked with Collins. I think we just stick with Painter he's our best bet and you'll him get better. He really needs to work on facing a blitz though with our young line he was going to see a lot of it rather he struggled against it or not (and he does) and the only way you get a team out of it is to throw them out of it.

He kept them in the game, but the only reason he looked "good" was cause the bar was set so low.

Really, the 2nd TD was all Garcon....it helped pad Painter's stats, but really Garcon made that a 55+ yard TD.....it easily could have been a meaningless 2 yard catch had the play not been ran and blocked perfectly.

Happy he didnt throw any pics (although could have had 3 or 4) and much like the week before, they could have won the game but fell short at the end....that's really about all you could ask of him.

If you take two exceptional passes out of his total (both of which involved 60 yards after the catch) the man put up 140 yards of passing.

He led us to scoring 24 points in less than 5 quarters. Considering the condition of the o-line, the drops and all that has come against us, he far exceeded what we had going into last Sunday's game.

We made a fateful mistake not starting Painter in week 1.

Something stinks with Coyer. We gave up the inside intermediate routes completely. TB attacked our Tampa 2 garbage scheme and made fools of us. 3rd and 15 and you could see it coming. Dump it off on a crossing route and let him run for the first.

He led us to scoring 24 points in less than 5 quarters. Considering the condition of the o-line, the drops and all that has come against us, he far exceeded what we had going into last Sunday's game.

Something stinks with Coyer. We gave up the inside intermediate routes completely. TB attacked our Tampa 2 garbage scheme and made fools of us. 3rd and 15 and you could see it coming. Dump it off on a crossing route and let him run for the first.

yea, that (or those) crossing route(s) were killing us --- brutal. 3rd and whatever seemed easy for them.

yea, Painter is suddenly our savior. he stinks and is win-less, let's call a spade a spade.

Painter played very well. He is surrounded by incompetence. Caldwell drops a INT in the TB endzone, surrendering points. Saturday casts an errant snap that leads Vinny's kick astray. Thats 6 points difference.

Caldwell stands foolishly absent minded and doesn't challenge an obvious fumble. That leads to a TD scored. Thats 13 points of incompetence. None of which Painter can be blamed for.

He was just OK. I'll be impressed if he can play in a NFL game without fumbling the football.

meh...Painter even appointed Addai to pick up that blitzer, and Addai whiffed, the defender launched through Addai's block and hit Painter with ridiculous speed. Peyton is one of the few that may not have fumbled on a hit like that.

Painter looked like he belonged last night and that is all we needed from him. He did a good job managing the game and even did some audibles to try and get us into a better position. Sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't, but he ran the offense much more effectively then Collins. There is absolutely no reason to see Collins the rest of there unless it is a sideline shot or Painter gets hurt.

Painter just didn't get enough help tonight. AV, Jamaal Anderson, and Caldwell all let him down in this game. The offensive line was left in shambles at the end of the game and DB tried to get him killed.

It makes you wonder what this season would look like had we rolled with Painter from the start.

Well, Painter did better than expected! But todays game is still no reason to cheer. 13/30 (44%) is bad without a doubt. 281 yards and 2 TD looks good BUT a lot of these yards thanks to huge runs from Pierre Garcon. At least no interception. So jury is still out let's see how he plays in the next games

You are where I'm at Austria....

The ball has to go downfield.....The Tampa defense was not good to let us break that little screen..

Remember..you dont get better necessarily from week to week because now..they have tape of you....

He did well enough to start again Sunday....but I hope Collins is ready...in the bullpen..

Its not either or.

WE didnt adjust defrnsively and I dont know why except that our safety was a rookie and all our backs seemed to fear the deep ball..

Curtis was OK...but he wasnt great...If we'd have started him week one he'd be on the IR now....

I wish he'd play with more confidence..He seems scared

He was just OK. I'll be impressed if he can play in a NFL game without fumbling the football.

That's about right..just OK...

He does not exude confidence, does he???

The ball has to come out of his hand quicker...it simply has to.

Lets be honest..tampa dropped 4 interceptions..

But he kept us in the game.

Who cares where the yards came from he got the yards didnt he, there were some errant passes, like the pick he almost threw to talib, and the other pass to wayne... i think with time that will be corrected because he will only get better.

WE didnt adjust defrnsively and I dont know why except that our safety was a rookie and all our backs seemed to fear the deep ball..

Curtis was OK...but he wasnt great...If we'd have started him week one he'd be on the IR now....

I wish he'd play with more confidence..He seems scared

I did not see that at all, the man was in there TAKING HITS!! AND MAKING THROWS WHILE PLAYERS WERE ON HIM. ie the pass to collie?

It did better than I thought he would, but he wasn't all that. As already mentioned, he could have been picked off multiple times. He once again fumbled, I understand that it wasn't his fault, the RB just let the guy run right past him, I believe it was Brown, go figure, but still. Every game he has been in, he has fumbled I believe. Last week, it gave Pittsburg the TD.

With our line troubles up in the air now, with two going down last night and us already having issues there, I just don't think it will get any better. He does need time to make plays, last night the couple sacks, he needed maybe 1 or 2 more seconds to make a throw and he couldn't get it.

We need to committ more to the run and stop going away from it. WE AREN'T A PASSING TEAM RIGHT NOW. Sorry, needed to get that off my chest. All week, our line should practice running the ball. We have Addai and Carter, who both have actually done well when given the chance.

Heh.... it seems like people are never happy. The man played the QB spot well enough to beat both the Bucs and the Packers, as well as keeping us in the game against the Steelers. The rest of the team just didn't play well enough last night.

The guy definitely knows the playbook, throws the ball a velocity, runs the no huddle well, and was able to complete many passes with defenders in his face. With all respect to Collins, Painter is light years ahead of him.

People seem to get hung up on the completion percentage and inaccuracies. Who cares? The guy has practically no real game experience, playing behind Manning for years. That will get a lot better as he gets more experience.

Sigh.... sometimes I think people are just spoiled by having Manning for so long.

It did better than I thought he would, but he wasn't all that. As already mentioned, he could have been picked off multiple times. He once again fumbled, I understand that it wasn't his fault, the RB just let the guy run right past him, I believe it was Brown, go figure, but still. Every game he has been in, he has fumbled I believe. Last week, it gave Pittsburg the TD.

With our line troubles up in the air now, with two going down last night and us already having issues there, I just don't think it will get any better. He does need time to make plays, last night the couple sacks, he needed maybe 1 or 2 more seconds to make a throw and he couldn't get it.

We need to committ more to the run and stop going away from it. WE AREN'T A PASSING TEAM RIGHT NOW. Sorry, needed to get that off my chest. All week, our line should practice running the ball. We have Addai and Carter, who both have actually done well when given the chance.

That was actually addai, but i do agree the colts need to run the ball more... its just something the really need to be consistent on.. although addai had a positive avg they didnt run as much as they did with collins, and we all know why but still they need to be a bit more balanced especially since peyton isnt playing.