Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Give it up for Painter

Colts20593

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am confussed how did the Bucs penalty yards effect Painter?

They helped move the ball

Again, he did ok against the Bucs and (so far) the Chiefs. In spite of throwing no less than 3 passes which should have been picked VS TB.

Get a little pressure on him and he doesn't just struggle (which most/all QB's do) he completely collapses. This game isn't over, either. It wouldn't surprise me if he makes some critical error in the waning moments to cost us the game.

We'll see how he does VS a team that isn't as inept as ours. That being said if he helps us beat the Patriots I don't care if he's good or not. He'll be my frickin' hero.

Edited by Moose Of Woe

Again, he did ok against the Bucs and (so far) the Chiefs. But get a little pressure on him and he doesn't just struggle (which most/all QB's do) he completely collapses. This game isn't over, either. It wouldn't surprise me if he makes some critical error in the waning moments to cost us the game.

We'll see how he does VS a team that isn't as inept as ours. That being said if he helps us beat the Patriots I don't care if he's good or not. He'll be my frickin' hero.

He's made two critical error's in his career. Both came on big misses by the o-line that any QB is going to fumble in that situation. Collins made what four in three weeks? Even Peyton Manning and Tom Brady struggle if you put heat on them. Painter is doing pretty well for a BACK UP QB. He's doing just what you would ask one to do. Have enough of a passing game to keep the other team honest and keeping us in the game and giving us a chance to win games. He had over 200 yards in the first half. Collins struggled to have 200 yards in the game vs. the Browns another lowely team. Painter is clearly our better option at QB right now which is what people are doing.

You are also seeing people come back and take their crow for ripping on Painter and saying how awful he was during the pre-season and saying hey give the dude credit he is better than I thought. What's wrong with that?

No one is saying he's a super star or our next great QB. They are saying he's doing a good job based on what is being asked of him, he's doing better than most fans expected, and that he is a better option than Kerry Collins.

Also for those flags you threw out there, alot of those yards came when the Bucs were on offense with holding calls. That has zero impact on the Colts offense.

Edited by GoColts8818

He's made two critical error's in his career. Both came on big misses by the o-line that any QB is going to fumble in that situation. Collins made what four in three weeks? Even Peyton Manning and Tom Brady struggle if you put heat on them. Painter is doing pretty well for a BACK UP QB. He's doing just what you would ask one to do. Have enough of a passing game to keep the other team honest and keeping us in the game and giving us a chance to win games. He had over 200 yards in the first half. Collins struggled to have 200 yards in the game vs. the Browns another lowely team. Painter is clearly our better option at QB right now which is what people are doing.

You are also seeing people come back and take their crow for ripping on Painter and saying how awful he was during the pre-season and saying hey give the dude credit he is better than I thought. What's wrong with that?

No one is saying he's a super star or our next great QB. They are saying he's doing a good job based on what is being asked of him, he's doing better than most fans expected, and that he is a better option than Kerry Collins.

Also for those flags you threw out there, alot of those yards came when the Bucs were on offense with holding calls. That has zero impact on the Colts offense.

Don't get me wrong - he's certainly better than Collins. But is that REALLY a compliment to his level of play?

Hmmm... first of all, the Bucs aren't exactly a cupcake team. Also, Painters game against the Bucs (his first NFL start) aren't that far off statistically from what Manning did his first game.

Second, that wasn't exactly his first good game against a good defense. He did the same thing against the Packers in the preseason. True, it was preseason. But it was the 3rd preseason game, which historically teams prepare and play for like a regular season game. I think that was a pretty accurate precursor to what he's done this game so far and last against the Bucs.

Honestly, the Colts should've stuck with Painter after the Packers game, regardless of the Collins signing. Several fans (including me) were saying this. Painter is just getting better every game. If they would have done that, we probably would've been 1-3 at this point (beating the Steelers), and potentially 2-2.

Edited by Mouthfire

Don't get me wrong - he's certainly better than Collins. But is that REALLY a compliment to his level of play?

and no one is saying it is, they are saying it's better and he is giving us a chance to win. What do you want us to go back to Collins? No one is saying he's a world better. They are saying he's our best QB right now. Do you disagree with that statement?

I think's safe to say based on what people were saying about Painter during the pre-seaosn what he is doing is surpassing expectations which is what people are giving him credit for. For a BACK UP QB he is doing a good job. Don't confuse that for people saying he's a great QB.

Well, here's his chance to show his merit. Need a TD with 5 to go.

Edit: A should be INT on 3rd and long. 4th and 11. Punt.

Edit 2: Nope...4th and 6 now thanks to offsides.... throws to a draped Anthony Gonzalez. Turnover on downs.

FAIL.

Edited by Moose Of Woe

I wanna see what you got to say about him after the KC game....

He had some decent numbers against TB and the terrible Chiefs to start the game. Instead of getting some consistency, he completely vanished in the second half against KC. Against a terrible team. When we needed him in crunch time, he was not there.

He is not our future. If he is, the future looks bleak.

He's a backup. A serviceable backup, but a backup nevertheless. Painter is simply not good enough to lead this team to a winning season.

What do you have to say about him?

Edited by Moose Of Woe

He had some decent numbers against TB and the terrible Chiefs to start the game. Instead of getting some consistency, he completely vanished in the second half against KC. Against a terrible team. When we needed him in crunch time, he was not there.

He's a backup. A serviceable backup, but a backup nevertheless. Painter is simply not good enough to lead this team to a winning season.

Are you impyling it's Painter's fault our defense gave up a 24-7 lead?

Are you impyling it's Painter's fault our defense gave up a 24-7 lead?

It's a team loss. The defense fell to pieces thanks in no small part to the offense. The O did not get to KC's side of the field save for once off a Collie reception during the entire second half.

5 mins to go to drive for the win? Throws incomplete passes and a should be INT. The offense did _NOTHING_ for the entire second half while the D collapsed. Painter is simply not good enough to help this sorry team. How many points did the O pile on to keep ahead and keep the D off the field? ZERO.

I never thought I'd say this, but special teams played the best out of the entire team today.

Edited by Moose Of Woe

Yes, a lot of fans have hated on Painter because of the loss in our undefeated season ... they ignored the fact that he had not gotten any snaps in practices, in real games, - he truly had very very little experience.

I am from Lafayette / West Lafayette and I have seen Herrmann, Campbell, Everett, Brees, Orton, and Painter all play weekly ... Painter is better than most of those QBs. I have said it all year If Painter gets any protection at all he can make all the throws and thus far he is proving that again. I just hope that everyone else starts to come around and realize that is reality and not fantasy. Painter should be Mannings backup - all the talk about suck for luck is complete and utter non-sense!

I agree, but after today, even you have to admit the Colts are in the lead for the 1st overall pick.

Painter was good in the first half, but the second was horrible.

Not sure if it was him or coaching/scheme changes (or rather a serious lack of), but something needed to change and didnt.

Yes Clark had the dropsies, but Garcon didnt, so they offset each other, lol, usually its the other way around!

I dont lay all that on Painter, as he showed in the first half he could do really well, and against the same team, with some changes thrown in, he didnt do anything at all in the second.

Same thing last week...but for some reason worse this week, maybe because they were up by so much and it looked like they would finally win one.

Back to the bolded comment...I think even if the Colts get the #1 overall, they wont take Luck. And if they do, it will be to trade him. He could command a trade of a couple draft picks, plus a player, or some picks one year and a pick or two the following year too...so I guess you could say I dont think Luck will play for the Colts regardless of weather they pick him.

Why would I want him to fail? So we lose every game? If that gets Caldwell out of here, maybe. But no, I don't have some sort of personal vendetta against Painter. While I do hope he does well and leads us to a few wins this season, I don't see him helping us to more than four victories. Nor do I see him being a suitable future/good enough QB to carry this team.

If the overall TEAM improves, yeah, maybe he'll be able to get us to the playoffs here and there. Do I forsee the guy EVER leading a team to the SB? Let alone winning it? Especially one such as ours which simply isn't very good/well rounded at all? Absolutely not. MAYBE if you give him a team like the early/mid 2000 Patriots or the typical Steelers team. (This season being one of the few exceptions to the Steelers being good)

I mean, heck, Grossman got there with the Bears somehow.

I want the COLTS to win, and I simply don't think Painter is the man to get us all the way.

Well mate it sure sounds like that, painter did enough for the colts to win.. this was on the defense.. i believe this is a repercussion of picking up low end players and lacey is the prime example.

*My viking laugh* bahahahaha... are you blaming painter for the colts loss today?.... you moose of woe you

*My viking laugh* bahahahaha... are you blaming painter for the colts loss today?.... you moose of woe you

I'm blaming the entire terrible team from top to bottom. I'm saying he's not good enough to be of any help.

Even if he's not part of the problem, he's certainly not part of the solution. The only way we'll go back to a winning season is:

1: Get a top tier QB. And even then if it's not Manning, it probably won't be enough..

OR

2: Seriously overhaul a great deal of positions on this team.

3: Get a coach who is not useless.

4: Ditch the Tampa 2 and get a D that can win/close out games instead of trying to hold on. (Also coincides with #2 and #3)

5: Any combination of the above.

This team, though I wish I didn't have to blatantly state it, sucks. We've always had a poor D and terrible special teams. Between 2000-2005/2006 we at least had a terrific offense and an OK coaching staff. Now those are gone as well. We have a mediocre offense at best overall without PM out there.

Painter isn't the worst QB I've ever seen, but he's NOT GOOD ENOUGH to help as we are.

Edited by Moose Of Woe

Curtis clearly played well enough to win today. He was spot on for pretty much the whole game. There was one pass that sailed over Clark's head, but everything else was dead on accurate. For those who are going to point out those two passes into coverage late in the 4th, I'll have to watch the game again, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't anyone open.

Really, today's collapse was the result of:

1) Poor conservative offensive play calling by the coaches. Run, run, pass... Really? Painter had the game won in the first half, why are you putting the game in Donald Brown's hands?

2) Too many drops by the receivers. Dallas? Come on....

3) Defense couldn't stop anyone. CB's really need an upgrade in the off season.

I'm blaming the entire terrible team from top to bottom. I'm saying he's not good enough to be of any help.

Even if he's not part of the problem, he's certainly not part of the solution. The only way we'll go back to a winning season is:

1: Get a top tier QB. And even then if it's not Manning, it probably won't be enough..

OR

2: Seriously overhaul a great deal of positions on this team.

3: Get a coach who is not useless.

4: Ditch the Tampa 2 and get a D that can win/close out games instead of trying to hold on. (Also coincides with #2 and #3)

5: Any combination of the above.

The team, sucks. We've always had a poor D and terrible special teams. Between 2000-2005/2006 we at least had a terrific offense and an OK coaching staff. Now those are gone as well. We have a mediocre offense at best overall without PM out there.

Painter isn't the worst QB I've ever seen, but he's NOT GOOD ENOUGH to help as we are.

Painter is definitley part of the solution, you are suppose to put a QB on the field that can drive your team down the field, and fans saw that he can do that.. with more reps the guy is gonna be a pretty good QB.

The only thing the colts need to do is get some better players for example in the secondary, im with ppl on that lacey sucks.. you dont see powers getting picked on like that and as soon as powers is gone they go for a TD on rucker.. the colts need some good corners.

Painter is definitley part of the solution, you are suppose to put a QB on the field that can drive your team down the field, and fans saw that he can do that.. with more reps the guy is gonna be a pretty good QB.

The only thing the colts need to do is get some better players for example in the secondary, im with ppl on that lacey sucks.. you dont see powers getting picked on like that and as soon as powers is gone they go for a TD on rucker.. the colts need some good corners.

Don't forget our new stud CB - THE CURSE OF TIM JENNINGS #23, Johnson! He makes Lacey look like a Pro Bowler.

Today wasn't his fault......at least not very much.

I'd probably give him an A+ in the 1H. That half was Manning like......then he turned back into himself in the 2nd half and really didnt look very good. However, he put his team in a postion to win....which is about all you can ask from him (or any back up QB)

Don't forget our new stud CB - THE CURSE OF TIM JENNINGS #23, Johnson! He makes Lacey look like a Pro Bowler.

Tbh im kinda thankful for this season, cause it shows the colts the gaps they need to fill... unfortunately it comes with losses but now the colts can think about suring up that defense....... One person who was a non factor was dallas clark... what on earth happened to him.