Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Give it up for Painter

Colts20593

Oh yes, god forbid I have an opinion that doesn't include optimism to the most extreme.

Painter is king.

Painter is god.

We should release Manning now, we've no need for him.

He have Painter.

We. Are. SAVED.

Again, a straw man.

I'm not criticizing you because you aren't on the Painter bandwagon. I'm not on the Painter bandwagon. Read what I've said about him. I think we're better with him than with Collins, which is really what the decision is at this point. Unless you think we should be bringing in Brett Favre or David Garrard, Painter is the clear choice, despite his deficiencies.

I'm pointing out the fallacy in your argument. Just because Rex Grossman isn't an MVP candidate doesn't mean the offense isn't better with Curtis Painter. It is. And Rex Grossman still isn't an MVP candidate. Luckily, that has no bearing on our offense.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, a straw man.

I'm not criticizing you because you aren't on the Painter bandwagon. I'm not on the Painter bandwagon. Read what I've said about him. I think we're better with him than with Collins, which is really what the decision is at this point. Unless you think we should be bringing in Brett Favre or David Garrard, Painter is the clear choice, despite his deficiencies.

I'm pointing out the fallacy in your argument. Just because Rex Grossman isn't an MVP candidate doesn't mean the offense isn't better with Curtis Painter. It is. And Rex Grossman still isn't an MVP candidate. Luckily, that has no bearing on our offense.

So because Painter is the best we've got I'm supposed to lower my standards and worship him for not turning it over every time he touches the ball?

Erm, no. I'm not going to be content with Painter and pretend he doesn't suck simply because that's the best we've got.

So because Painter is the best we've got I'm supposed to lower my standards and worship him for not turning it over every time he touches the ball?

Erm, no. I'm not going to be content with Painter and pretend he doesn't suck simply because that's the best we've got.

C'mon John. Give the kid some kinda love for not squatting an egg on MNF.

Do it!

Doooo it now.

Hey, many of his harsher critiques (You) thought he was going to darn near burst into flames on national TV, didn't cha? Nobody expects him to be worshiped as the second coming of Manning. Speaking of which, I could fill this thread with numerous instances of Manning messing up big time, blowing games, fumbling and chucking INT's.

I think the biggest point is that Painter is presenting himself as a viable back-up going forward. Something we direly need, and something that we should all be happy about as Colts fans if he keeps it up.

If Painter has done well then Rex Grossman is a legitimate MVP candidate, and that is a world I really don't want to live in...

John we are in H..... E...... DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS for 12 more weeks bro. I have accepted it and just look for what little bright spots I can

I don't think anyone is saying you should do that. I think people are just saying he's the best of what we have right now. It doesn't mean people think he's great, it just means people think he gives us our best chance to win right now.

C'mon John. Give the kid some kinda love for not squatting an egg on MNF.

Do it!

Doooo it now.

Hey, many of his harsher critiques (You) thought he was going to darn near burst into flames on national TV, didn't cha? Nobody expects him to be worshiped as the second coming of Manning. Speaking of which, I could fill this thread with numerous instances of Manning messing up big time, blowing games, fumbling and chucking INT's.

I think the biggest point is that Painter is presenting himself as a viable back-up going forward. Something we direly need, and something that we should all be happy about as Colts fans if he keeps it up.

Well if he continues to improve he can be a solid backup, this season should mold him into that backup. He will get plenty experience.

I have to give Painter some credit. He did not have a great completion percentage, but like people said, he kept us in the game and didn't throw an INT. I had told one of my brothers that I thought he would throw 2 TD's and 2 INT's, so he proved me wrong in that regard. I think you have to stay with Painter for awhile and see what he can do, even if Collins is good to go.

Maybe a healthy medium, JW. I'm not asking you to bow at his feet. I'm not asking you to do anything. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. He doesn't have to be the greatest thing since sliced bread in order to not totally suck. And he didn't totally suck last night. Like I said, nothing to get excited about, but the offense is better with Painter.

I don't think anyone is saying you should do that. I think people are just saying he's the best of what we have right now. It doesn't mean people think he's great, it just means people think he gives us our best chance to win right now.

And that is the point isn't it? This team has a very iffy backup quarterback who is struggling terribly. For as great as Polian is supposed to be and God knows how happy he'll be to tell you how great he is the bottom line is that he has built a hollow shell of a football team. Without Manning this team is a complete mess and sitting around playing Susie Sunshine won't change that. Polian needs to be held personally accountable for this season.

And that is the point isn't it? This team has a very iffy backup quarterback who is struggling terribly. For as great as Polian is supposed to be and God knows how happy he'll be to tell you how great he is the bottom line is that he has built a hollow shell of a football team. Without Manning this team is a complete mess and sitting around playing Susie Sunshine won't change that. Polian needs to be held personally accountable for this season.

yeah just throw out the last 10 years where the Colts have been the NFL model for winning...

Some of the fans need to lay off just the blind Polian hate.

No. I will not give it up for Curtis Painter.

Or Collins, Caldwell, Coyer, Polian's decisions the past 5 or so years, the front office, Lacey, Terrence Johnson aka the second coming of Tim Jennings #23, the O-line, the defensive scheme, the entire special teams unit across the board sans Pat McAfee and Blair White who at least can fair catch, Unreliable Garcon, Anthony Gonzalez.... .... ... to name a few.

I WILL give it up for the usual contributers to the team Freeney/Mathis, Clark, Wayne, Addai, Pat ANGERER and the newbie Carter. Seriously if any one else wants to pull their own weight feel free to help these guys out.

Painter played very well. He is surrounded by incompetence. Caldwell drops a INT in the TB endzone, surrendering points. Saturday casts an errant snap that leads Vinny's kick astray. Thats 6 points difference.

Caldwell stands foolishly absent minded and doesn't challenge an obvious fumble. That leads to a TD scored. Thats 13 points of incompetence. None of which Painter can be blamed for.

Saturday isnt the long snapper, Snow is...its very clear in the replay that was on right after.

The ball hits McAfee in the hands, he is the one who muffed it or mishandled it or whatever you want to say.

They even mentioned that after it happened too...

I also dont think, regardless of what Gruden said, that you can expect your DBs to catch everything that hits them in the hands. He kept the opposing player from catching it. Thats his only job, and he did it. Heck, the Colts receivers dont catch everything thrown at them...how can you expect a guy who isnt a receiver to?

Sure it would have been nice if he had caught it, but again, he did his job on that play.

The fumble was more than foolish...you are being kind there.

Ill give Painter one more game before I decide, but last game, play wise, was no better than Collins. Garcon happened to show up last night where he didnt with Collins. Thats the ONLY thing that kept us in the game.

The one good thing about Painter is that the team rallies around him more so than with Collins. One of the blog writers mentioned that alone was worth keeping him in the starting spot over Collins, and he just might be right.

He also allows the offense to be run a bit more like it was with Manning. The no huddle, he is better at the audibles, etc. So there are a number of good things there too....

Ill give Painter one more game before I decide, but last game, play wise, was no better than Collins.

Did you simply view the game stats and see 13 for 30 and say oh boy he was not very good? If you consider all the dropped passes, the rushed throws and the one fumble due to poor pass protection, the guy was a whole lot better than Collins has been.

First start's

Peyton Manning's

Home against Miami 21-37-3 302 YDS 1 TD Loss 15-24

Chris Painter's

On the road against Tampa 13-30-0 281 YDS 2 TD's Loss 17-24

Not too bad for a first start.

Let's see how he does this week.

Did you simply view the game stats and see 13 for 30 and say oh boy he was not very good? If you consider all the dropped passes, the rushed throws and the one fumble due to poor pass protection, the guy was a whole lot better than Collins has been.

Nope. I didnt look at the stats at all. I watched the game.

The difference is, as stated before by many, including myself, is that he allows the offense to be the Colts offense. The players rally around him more so than Collins (I believe thats in my other post if you look).

If you want to talk numbers, fine, but you cant do it without allowing for Garcons efforts.

Garcon showed up last Monday. Collins hit him in the hands too, and he dropped it. More than once.

I said Id give it another game because its foolish to judge someone on ONE performance, which is what a LOT of people are doing here.

If he can repeat the TDs and good throws fine, but if its a turnover fest in the 4th quarter again, then what? What if the drop plagued Garcon shows up this week?

Again, Ill give it more time...you can have the one week performance savior if you want, but Ill wait and see what happens.

Nope. I didnt look at the stats at all. I watched the game.

The difference is, as stated before by many, including myself, is that he allows the offense to be the Colts offense. The players rally around him more so than Collins (I believe thats in my other post if you look).

If you want to talk numbers, fine, but you cant do it without allowing for Garcons efforts.

Garcon showed up last Monday. Collins hit him in the hands too, and he dropped it. More than once.

I said Id give it another game because its foolish to judge someone on ONE performance, which is what a LOT of people are doing here.

If he can repeat the TDs and good throws fine, but if its a turnover fest in the 4th quarter again, then what? What if the drop plagued Garcon shows up this week?

Again, Ill give it more time...you can have the one week performance savior if you want, but Ill wait and see what happens.

It's just as foolish, imo, to judge a guy on only 2 starts as it is to judge him after 1. If a team judged their QB after only 2 starts then there'd a lot more QB turnover than there already is.

It's just as foolish, imo, to judge a guy on only 2 starts as it is to judge him after 1. If a team judged their QB after only 2 starts then there'd a lot more QB turnover than there already is.

we wont have painter long our o-line will get him killed, next man up, but he did not do bad with zero protection

With hardly any protection, not throwing any INTs, and throwing some accurate fast balls. I gotta give him some props. He's got all the tools he just needs to continue improving his decision making. he's getting better about not turning over the ball over but with some of the sacks last week he had opportunities to throw the ball away.

No. I will not give it up for Curtis Painter.

Or Collins, Caldwell, Coyer, Polian's decisions the past 5 or so years, the front office, Lacey, Terrence Johnson aka the second coming of Tim Jennings #23, the O-line, the defensive scheme, the entire special teams unit across the board sans Pat McAfee and Blair White who at least can fair catch, Unreliable Garcon, Anthony Gonzalez.... .... ... to name a few.

I WILL give it up for the usual contributers to the team Freeney/Mathis, Clark, Wayne, Addai, Pat ANGERER and the newbie Carter. Seriously if any one else wants to pull their own weight feel free to help these guys out.

That alone just says you dont know what your talking about.... Carter hasnt even scored a TD yet how is he a usual contributor?... your just mentioning ppl you like thats all.............. So yes give it up for painter, even if you dont like him.

With hardly any protection, not throwing any INTs, and throwing some accurate fast balls. I gotta give him some props. He's got all the tools he just needs to continue improving his decision making. he's getting better about not turning over the ball over but with some of the sacks last week, he could've thrown the ball away.

Well, not quite as foolish (but Id agree it is none the less but thats my prerogative, as it also would be to give him 3 or 4 or more), as should he do the same as he did in the first, it would at least indicate a trend, based on very limited info, but you cant have a trend at all based on only one performance....but you can with two performances.

I watched the first half of the game last night on NFL Rewind before I fell asleep. I'll have to finish the game tonight. Painter did well when he got protection - that's a big WHEN. He was being pummeled constantly. He made some really fine throws, threading the needle.

Come on COLTS if there's anytime to get your first win, tomorrow is the day. Beat KC :-) You can do it!

That alone just says you dont know what your talking about.... Carter hasnt even scored a TD yet how is he a usual contributor?... your just mentioning ppl you like thats all.............. So yes give it up for painter, even if you dont like him.

Right. Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about. Dude, please... Before you insult someone's intelligence - it might be wise to read more carefully.

"I WILL give it up for the usual contributors to the team Freeney/Mathis, Clark, Wayne, Addai, Pat ANGERER and the newbie, Carter."

There, I underlined the important part. How is Carter contributing? Sure, he doesn't have a TD. How many people on our team do? He lowers his head and RUNS HARD.

As for mentioning people I like - well, yes! I like them because unlike 80% of our players, and pretty much all of the coaching staff, they're not dead weight.

And no - I still will not give it up for Curtis Painter.

You're.

Isn't.

Don't.

Edited by Moose Of Woe

Right. Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about. Dude, please... Before you insult someone's intelligence - it might be wise to read more carefully.

"I WILL give it up for the usual contributors to the team Freeney/Mathis, Clark, Wayne, Addai, Pat ANGERER and the newbie, Carter."

There, I underlined the important part. How is Carter contributing? Sure, he doesn't have a TD. How many people on our team do? He lowers his head and RUNS HARD.

As for mentioning people I like - well, yes! I like them because unlike 80% of our players, and pretty much all of the coaching staff, they're not dead weight.

And no - I still will not give it up for Curtis Painter.

You're.

Isn't.

Don't.

I think you need to revise what you said, Carter did not make any big conversion, catch any big pass, much less any TD.. if you wanna talk about his yards.. you might as well talk about jennings solo stop on a 3rd down on a screen play in the steelers game... he too has contributed. So he isnt a usual contributer even for a newbie.

If you are considering painter as dead weight then you are obviously blind. By todays game the guy will have more yds and TD's than collins in just two games... end of.

I too am happy for C-Paint & feel he is our better option right now. No I didn't feel this way at first, I agreed with bringing collins in, but I see that as something that was risked & just didn't work, not a bad decision. Curtis has showed promise RECENTLY something he had to work his way up too. Happy & proud of him hope it continues.

I would just like to say props and grats to Painter for finally getting the job he should of had to begin with.It was just plain disrespectful for them to sign Collins over Painter.Course this is also the same management team that threw away the perfect season,so go figure,lol/

I think you need to revise what you said, Carter did not make any big conversion, catch any big pass, much less any TD.. if you wanna talk about his yards.. you might as well talk about jennings solo stop on a 3rd down on a screen play in the steelers game... he too has contributed. So he isnt a usual contributer even for a newbie.

If you are considering painter as dead weight then you are obviously blind. By todays game the guy will have more yds and TD's than collins in just two games... end of.

Against, what, Tampa Bay who had over 100 yards in penalties and Kansas City?

Although I will say he looked good on the opening drive against KC. We'll see if he can keep it up.

Although I will say he looked good on the opening drive against KC. We'll see if he can keep it up.

I wanna see what you got to say about him after the KC game.... you and all the haters..... Who would think a guy who isnt an NFL QB would be able to play like he has so far smh

I wanna see what you got to say about him after the KC game.... you and all the haters..... Who would think a guy who isnt an NFL QB would be able to play like he has so far smh

I'll say exactly what I just said. "Against, what, Tampa Bay and 1-3 (Possibly 1-4 to come) Kansas City?"

He's looked good on the opening drive. We'll see if he can keep it up VS a team that doesn't SUCK and get some consistency going.

Edited by Moose Of Woe

Yes, a lot of fans have hated on Painter because of the loss in our undefeated season ... they ignored the fact that he had not gotten any snaps in practices, in real games, - he truly had very very little experience.

I am from Lafayette / West Lafayette and I have seen Herrmann, Campbell, Everett, Brees, Orton, and Painter all play weekly ... Painter is better than most of those QBs. I have said it all year If Painter gets any protection at all he can make all the throws and thus far he is proving that again. I just hope that everyone else starts to come around and realize that is reality and not fantasy. Painter should be Mannings backup - all the talk about suck for luck is complete and utter non-sense!

So if Painter does pan out does that mean fans have to lay off Polian for bringing in a shakey back up like Painter and trusting him for the past three years? I would agree I think we paniced some and got Collins but if people remember the talk of getting a vet back up started with Irsay maybe he stuck his nose where it didn't belong a little bit?

I'll say exactly what I just said. "Against, what, Tampa Bay and 1-3 (Possibly 1-4 to come) Kansas City?"

He's looked good on the opening drive. We'll see if he can keep it up VS a team that doesn't SUCK and get some consistency going.

Whatever makes you sleep at night mate, first ppl were saying how the bucs made the falcons look bad now your trying to down play tampa and the cheifs as well... . i dont think its too much to say that youd rather see the dude fail so you can be right that actually admitting the guy is a good back up AND an NFL QB.

I am confussed how did the Bucs penalty yards effect Painter? It's not like Painter got credit for his throws because of the flags. They helped move the ball but make no mistake Painter played pretty well for a guy making his first start on the road against a fairly good defense. He's playing well and has since getting over the first two drives vs. the Steelers. The kid is showing me he has some talent. The key is we have to block well for him because he struggles against pressure but so do most QBs in the NFL that's why teams try to get heat on them.

Whatever makes you sleep at night mate, first ppl were saying how the bucs made the falcons look bad now your trying to down play tampa and the cheifs as well... . i dont think its too much to say that youd rather see the dude fail so you can be right that actually admitting the guy is a good back up AND an NFL QB.

Why would I want him to fail? So we lose every game? If that gets Caldwell out of here, maybe. But no, I don't have some sort of personal vendetta against Painter. While I do hope he does well and leads us to a few wins this season, I don't see him helping us to more than four victories. Nor do I see him being a suitable future/good enough QB to carry this team.

If the overall TEAM improves, yeah, maybe he'll be able to get us to the playoffs here and there. Do I forsee the guy EVER leading a team to the SB? Let alone winning it? Especially one such as ours which simply isn't very good/well rounded at all? Absolutely not. MAYBE if you give him a team like the early/mid 2000 Patriots or the typical Steelers team. (This season being one of the few exceptions to the Steelers being good)

I mean, heck, Grossman got there with the Bears somehow.

I want the COLTS to win, and I simply don't think Painter is the man to get us all the way.

Edited by Moose Of Woe