Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UPDATE: Aaron Hernandez All discussion about past and present merge)

deedub75

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pats aren't the Ravens who propped Lewis up as the symbol of character and intergrity the last 10 years. And they are not the Giants either who tried to sign Plaxico after his prison release.

I applaud the move. This is going to get ugly and they are out of it altogether. Interested to see who they sign and how much of AHs contract they can recoup...in this sense Roger will be on their side.

Who in the heck of any consequence do you think is out there to sign ? Dallas Clark ? Also reading that they are going to eat 10 mill in cap over the next two years. Brutal beat....

Who in the heck of any consequence do you think is out there to sign ? Dallas Clark ? Also reading that they are going to eat 10 mill in cap over the next two years. Brutal beat....

Gronk may or may not miss time andif does will be early, not in playoffs when needed

Ex Giant TE  Jake Ballard is quite good

Still need 1 more, Clark was most prominent name of list i read , 

Dallas Clark, Travis Beckum, Evan Moore Among Free Agent Tight Ends That Could Interest Patriots

it may be wise for the Patriots to take a look at some of these players, even though they have plenty of quality in-house options like Jake Ballard, Zach Sudfeld, Michael Hoomanawanui and Daniel Fells.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/06/dallas-clark-travis-beckum-evan-moore-among-free-agent-tight-ends-that-could-interest-patriots/

I'm pretty sure they'll get cap relief.

Did it surprise you that he had no idea what was coming..  B on the T?

The early morning group bust smacks of the old dawn raids on the gangster disciples in Chicago in the 60s and 70s

Given his antics, I think they meant to embarrass him. Their was probably steam coming out of the detectives ears when he was handed a smashed phone.

Gronk may or may not miss time andif does will be early, not in playoffs when needed

Dallas Clark, Travis Beckum, Evan Moore Among Free Agent Tight Ends That Could Interest Patriots

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/06/dallas-clark-travis-beckum-evan-moore-among-free-agent-tight-ends-that-could-interest-patriots/

Jake Ballard hurt the Patriots in those SB's.

Jake Ballard hurt the Patriots in those SB's.

& now he is healthy aand ready, as a giant he hurt them, got injured, waived and giants expected   to reclaim him but Pats swooped in even to have him on sidelines healing last year

Worked out well as of now

I'm pretty sure they'll get cap relief.

They would have to prove that Hernandez is in breach of the conduct clause in his contract. I'm not sure they can do that without seeing an outcome from the legal proceedings first. So, for now, they have a $2.5m dead hit in 2013, and a $7.5m dead hit in 2014. Until they can exercise the conduct clause.

They would have to prove that Hernandez is in breach of the conduct clause in his contract. I'm not sure they can do that without seeing an outcome from the legal proceedings first. So, for now, they have a $2.5m dead hit in 2013, and a $7.5m dead hit in 2014. Until they can exercise the conduct clause.

You'd think the CC breach would be a slam dunk?  

This is the right move by the Pats.  You do not want someone who is involved in murder investigation who was taken into custody as well hanging over your team.  Yes, they have to eat his cap hit right now, but if he is found guilty of anything they should be able to get cap relief. Even if he is not the one who murder the guy and gets a slap on the wrist for obstruction you just cannot rely on an * like this.  He will continue to put himself in bad positions and who knows when he will run into trouble again.

I appluad the Pats for doing the right thing.  Heck if Wayne or Mathis was in the same situation I would hope the Colts would part ways as well.

The division is still the pats Division. 

The dolphins are looking good on paper but they still have to get it together, they wont win it this year IMO. bills? naaa

jets? pfft

pats are winning the division anyways but lets see how they perform vs elite teams

You'd think the CC breach would be a slam dunk?  

I'm not sure. I don't know the verbiage, or how it would be ruled on by the league. But I'm assuming the Patriots would have to prove that Hernandez is in breach, and that takes time. It might even be closely related to the outcome of a trial. If the entire case against him is eventually thrown out, and it's determined that he wasn't involved (seems unlikely right now), it becomes harder for them to prove breach, I think.

And even if they can, I don't believe they would be able to do so before this coming season. So they're going to eat $2.5m in dead space for right now, at least, even if that's retroactively credited back to them.

Edit: Just looked up some details on Hernandez's contract, and it appears a portion of his base salary and a workout and roster bonus were already triggered as guaranteed, so the dead money in 2013 is $4.073m, as of right now.

First of all this is just a sad story all the way around from the murder to the possible end of what looked a promising career of young man.  

Credit to the Pats for doing the right thing.  Also what has happened to the Pats tightends this off-season is more proof of how things can change on a dime in the NFL. With that also said the Pats still have Brady and BB they will be fine. 

I'm not sure. I don't know the verbiage, or how it would be ruled on by the league. But I'm assuming the Patriots would have to prove that Hernandez is in breach, and that takes time. It might even be closely related to the outcome of a trial. If the entire case against him is eventually thrown out, and it's determined that he wasn't involved (seems unlikely right now), it becomes harder for them to prove breach, I think.

And even if they can, I don't believe they would be able to do so before this coming season. So they're going to eat $2.5m in dead space for right now, at least, even if that's retroactively credited back to them.

Edit: Just looked up some details on Hernandez's contract, and it appears a portion of his base salary and a workout and roster bonus were already triggered as guaranteed, so the dead money in 2013 is $4.073m, as of right now.

Interesting. Thanks.

The loss of Gronkowksi, Hernandez and Wes Welker from last year has to affect NE..early

They have 2 months to the season begins and with the O-line they have and Tom Brady at QB....

.....its hard to think they wont eventually have another winning season...

and In the eventual playoff matchups with Houston and Denver.......in January...  the Pats can recover by then

Would have thought they would wait for the outcome of the trial.  But it doesn't bother me that they released him.  

Doing so certainly showed more character then the Raven's showed with Ray Lewis.  

They didn't have to wait for the outcome of the trial to release him.  That could take a long time seeing how long murder trials drag out.  On the other hand, Goodell would likely have suspended anyway based on the charges and the player conduct rule.  Patriots just went ahead ripped the bandaid off instead of just of having to deal with the media circus. 

Would have thought they would wait for the outcome of the trial.  But it doesn't bother me that they released him.  

Doing so certainly showed more character then the Raven's showed with Ray Lewis.  

This is good for them in the long run. At this point in time Aaron Hernandez is radioactive and anybody caught around him would be infected with what is going on. IF, and I am stressing 'if' here but, IF the Pats want to take him back after the dust settles.... they could. I doubt any team would be willing to take him on their roster by Thursday. 

That is all speculative seeing as we don't know if there will be any jail time at this juncture. If there is jail time... we will get the typical NFL feel good story down the road about how AHern had time to reflect and change in prison and will get a second shot at the NFL yada yada yada.

They didn't have to wait for the outcome of the trial to release him. That could take a long time seeing how long murder trials drag out. On the other hand, Goodell would likely have suspended anyway based on the charges and the player conduct rule. Patriots just went ahead ripped the bandaid off instead of just of having to deal with the media circus.

I would also blindly speculate that the Pats may have had someone with the police sharing a rough outline if the evidence against AH over the last week, enough for them to prepare a response well in advance of his arrest...?

I can only imagine these cops aren't immune to being fans of their local team, or immune to wanting to act in a manner that protects that franchise.

it may be wise for the Patriots to take a look at some of these players, even though they have plenty of quality in-house options like Jake Ballard, Zach Sudfeld, Michael Hoomanawanui and Daniel Fells.

Considering Gronks injury history , this release and the Wr's the Pats have in fold , this is a probably , without doubt the worst receiving crew in the NFL. Not really what I would be looking to give Tom Brady at 36 years old for a SB run. The only reason I mention the age is that I believe QB's often "fall off a cliff" at around 38. So IMO , the window is short.

Meh; the world is a lot different than it was in 2000. This Hernandez issue would have been a much bigger distraction for the Pats than Ray Lewis was for the Ravens.

Not saying the Patriots didn't do the right thing, just saying it's a different decision now than it was thirteen years ago.

I guess I am in the minority here. I see the move at this time as quesitonable when it comes to reputation. So players are released for being arrested for obstruction? He was already sighted for destroying evidence and having his tracks cleaned. This is very shady from the standpoint of the Pats trying to look right about this....if that is what they are doing.

My own feelings? He's guilty....big time....that is my gut feeling. If I was making that decision and franchise reputation was my motivating factor, then I would have released him long before this. It smells of not puting what he did over their need for his contributions for the team, as long as he might not get charged. Once they saw that charges are pretty inevitable, now it's about making a statement.

I would have respected them making this move when it was discovered that he broke his phone, erased his video footage, and had his home wiped. After passing on that opportunity, any move prior to conviction seems like damage control.

Considering Gronks injury history , this release and the Wr's the Pats have in fold , this is a probably , without doubt the worst receiving crew in the NFL. Not really what I would be looking to give Tom Brady at 36 years old for a SB run. The only reason I mention the age is that I believe QB's often "fall off a cliff" at around 38. So IMO , the window is short.

I think they're offense will be fine. To me, the question is the same as it has been the last three years: Can the defense hold its own and make plays? If so, the Patriots have as good a chance at a Super Bowl as anyone else, because of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. They were up 21-3, on the road, in the 2006 AFCCG, with a much worse receiver corps. Assuming Brady is healthy, the offense will be fine.

Also, Rob Gronkowski is being written off by a lot of people, but he might be ready to go by the start of the season. Even if he takes it slow and comes back in October, he's still one of the best tight ends in the league. That's a significant upgrade for them.

All this really means is that the Patriots don't have the best tight end tandem in the league anymore. I'm sure they'll adjust.

I guess I am in the minority here. I see the move at this time as quesitonable when it comes to reputation. So players are released for being arrested for obstruction? He was already sighted for destroying evidence and having his tracks cleaned. This is very shady from the standpoint of the Pats trying to look right about this....if that is what they are doing.

My own feelings? He's guilty....big time....that is my gut feeling. If I was making that decision and franchise reputation was my motivating factor, then I would have released him long before this. It smells of not puting what he did over their need for his contributions for the team, as long as he might not get charged. Once they saw that charges are pretty inevitable, now it's about making a statement.

I would have respected them making this move when it was discovered that he broke his phone, erased his video footage, and had his home wiped. After passing on that opportunity, any move prior to conviction seems like damage control.

It's been a week. There was still a possibility that new facts would come to light that would clear Hernandez. I know people want instant results in this day and age, but who's to say that the Patriots weren't already leaning toward releasing him before his arrest?

I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt here. And maybe more; I'm not certain that every team in the league would have released Hernandez now, like the Patriots did. Seems unfair to criticize their timing.

No doubt is a setback, Amendola will have to step up big tiime, I suspect they will be looking to add weapons where they can find them

still dont rule out weird trick Tebow plays

May rely heavily on run too, they have a good run game if want to use it more

And what if they would have found out he was found innocent but yet released him earlier like you said, sounds like they could not have won in your eyes no matter what they did. To me they did the right thing, they waited to see if he was going to be arraigned. You dont release a good player who is not charged with anything, If your not charged that means they dont have enough to pin it on you.

It's been a week. There was still a possibility that new facts would come to light that would clear Hernandez. I know people want instant results in this day and age, but who's to say that the Patriots weren't already leaning toward releasing him before his arrest?

I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt here. And maybe more; I'm not certain that every team in the league would have released Hernandez now, like the Patriots did. Seems unfair to criticize their timing.

I am simply saying that his actions by destroying evidence, was the beginning of harm to the reputation of the Pats. That was enough to be released were I in that situation. I am not jumping on the haterade bandwagon, I just think that if you wait after knowing he was covering his tracks, then wait until he is convicted.

And what if they would have found out he was found innocent but yet released him earlier like you said, sounds like they could not have won in your eyes no matter what they did. To me they did the right thing, they waited to see if he was going to be arraigned. You dont release a good player who is not charged with anything, If your not charged that means they dont have enough to pin it on you.

Is that the Patriot stance? Only release when charged? Or is it a case by case basis. Again...I am not saying they should or shouldn't release him....I am saying that reputation and harm to the image of the team is not based on arrest and/or conviction.

In the NorthEast, they don't believe in Innocent until proven Guilty

More like they want to cut ties with the massive distraction. Hernandez is no saint either, he has had repeated cases of gun related violence or crimes, dating all the way back to his college days. Some teams didn't even have him on their draft boards at all and he fell in the draft because of his character issues.

The Patriots also probably had some inside info, as they were commenting on NFL Network today that just about every single NFL team has former FBI agents and detectives working the security of their stadiums and they get information through the grape vine.

Nice to see a Colts fan trying to spin this into a negative Patriots topic though, per usual. They just got rid of a hoodlum that has had problems his entire life and is creating a mass media distraction that is going to be NATIONAL news, covered not just by ESPN and NFL Network, but by CNN, Fox News, MSNBC etc. Kraft didn't want his name or the Patriots name constantly being used in the same sentences as things like a murder investigation.

Maybe your holier than thou Colts will sign him right up.. He is in fact on waivers, so the Colts can go pick him up if they believe so much in "innocent until proven guilty." You want to bet $500 that the Colts don't even touch him with a 50 foot pole?

Go drink some more haterade.

Losing one great player (assuming he is) does not equate to a worse record just as having one great player does not guarantee a playoff or SB. 

Too many people get hung up on one or two players being the difference and that's just not accurate. I would only except a great QB or maybe impact D player.

Yea I dunno, losing Vince Wilfork would be a total disaster for us. He is the only one I would feel that way about on the defensive side of the ball though at this particular moment in time. Could make a small case for Mayo, and Chandler Jones might become a player like that in the future but he isnt there yet.

But I'm told the Patriots schedule is easy year after year? That's it's the only reason they win so many games?

You should save that quote for later on in the season, because like clock work they will refer to the Pats "easy" schedule to justify them being in the playoffs yet again lol

worst case scenario cap wise is that they have to eat his $2.5 million cap hit this year, but they certainly won't be eating any more than that. I bet they'll even be able to get the $2.5 million back, but it will take awhile and it will probably just be added into their cap next year.

I am simply saying that his actions by destroying evidence, was the beginning of harm to the reputation of the Pats. That was enough to be released were I in that situation. I am not jumping on the haterade bandwagon, I just think that if you wait after knowing he was covering his tracks, then wait until he is convicted.

I just don't think there's anything wrong with waiting for more information before deciding whether to release him. It's been a week. It's possible that, instead of him being arrested today, the police could have come out and said that he's not considered a suspect, they are clearing him of suspicion, and the investigation is centered on someone else. The evidence that was supposedly destroyed at his home might have been linked to someone else, and Hernandez might just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

That obviously didn't happen. But waiting for more information seemed prudent.

And now that more information is available, and Hernandez is further implicated in some sort of wrongdoing, it makes sense for the Patriots to act on this new information. That's just from a matter of principle -- they don't want a player who is definitely implicated in a murder investigation on their team.

Aside from the principle of the matter, there's the distraction that comes from all this. And that's obviously something the Patriots want no part of.