Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Secret Superstar: Dwayne Allen

Dustin

Our two TE's had 71 catches collectively in their rookie year...    Allen 45,  Fleener 26.

I'm expecting both to have roughly 15 more each this season.     Allen 60,  Fleener 40.    100 catches for the two tight ends.   That will really open things up for the rest of the offense.

I'd be surprised if this doesn't happen.....

Well.... after the first season they both had, what did you expect??

I'm just saying going into the season, it was all about the Stanford connection between Luck & Fleener.

Now here we are a season later, it's like Fleener doesn't even exist to these writers that drool over Allen

I'm just saying going into the season, it was all about the Stanford connection between Luck & Fleener.

Now here we are a season later, it's like Fleener doesn't even exist to these writers that drool over Allen

True.....   but that's what happens when one pick exceeds expectations, and the other doesn't live up to them.

This should all even out over time.....   I'm not worried....

I feel like we made a point to say our TEs MUST be able to block.  Dwayne Allen clearly had a head start on Fleener in that area.

Not that Allen was bad at the receiving side of being a TE, but I think Fleener is better in that area.  

Now we see which one can improve more in their weaker area and become a superstar.  

Im hoping its both of them  ;)

I feel like we made a point to say our TEs MUST be able to block. Dwayne Allen clearly had a head start on Fleener in that area.

Not that Allen was bad at the receiving side of being a TE, but I think Fleener is better in that area.

Now we see which one can improve more in their weaker area and become a superstar.

Im hoping its both of them ;)

Allen is the most complete TE out of the 2. He did it all at Clemson

WR, TE, & FB. Dude was a monster everywhere

Not one that is giving up on Fleener by any means.. Think they will both thrive in Indy for years to come. I do like Allen a little more right now just because how passionate he seems to be about the game( not to say Fleener is not )

I feel like we made a point to say our TEs MUST be able to block.  Dwayne Allen clearly had a head start on Fleener in that area.

Im hoping its both of them  ;)

So far, Allen is better at blocking AND receiving...he has natural fluid movement doing both.

I loved what I saw from Allen all year long. And loved what I saw from Fleener at the end of last year. No doubt Allen had the better year but don't underestimate Fleener. His size is incredible and he used it very well after he came back from injury last year.

Love Allen like Fleener. Sorry guys but Fleener played soft last year. Very soft. I'll give him a pass though he was a rook. I expect better things from Fleene next year.

For sure, I like Fleener alot but Allen was always coming through when needed. I loved everything about him. If you HAD to pick on TE right now to stay on the team no one in their right mind would pick Fleener.

I think with Pep coming in we will see a lot more of Fleener. It's not unusual for a rookie to struggle at all. 

For sure, I like Fleener alot but Allen was always coming through when needed. I loved everything about him. If you HAD to pick on TE right now to stay on the team no one in their right mind would pick Fleener.

Are you even suggesting that Fleener should not be retained on the team? If so you need to rethink your opinion. Fleener was a rookie and did have a set back with injury. Fleener was not picked with the 1st pick in the 2nd round to not be on the roster. With Pep taking over I think you will see a great improvement from Coby. The Colts will more than likely keep 4 or 5 TEs on the roster as the TE position is used a lot in Pep's offense. Yes Allen did have better numbers but part of that was due to the fact that Luck used him as a safety net because of being rushed big time. You give Luck the right amount of time for all of the receivers to run through their routes and Coby.s catches will improve. I cant believe the thought of Fleener not being a Colt even entered your mind.

I agree, but don't sleep on Fleener this season. He just might explode under Pep.

I think you will be right before it's all said and done. With Luck being under constant pressure Allen caught a lot of dump off passes. With an improvement in the O-line and Luck having more time in the pocket we should see an increase in catches. Fleener should have more catches with Luck having more time to find him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts keep 4 or 5 TEs on the roster. 

I think with Pep coming in we will see a lot more of Fleener. It's not unusual for a rookie to struggle at all.

Are you even suggesting that Fleener should not be retained on the team? If so you need to rethink your opinion. Fleener was a rookie and did have a set back with injury. Fleener was not picked with the 1st pick in the 2nd round to not be on the roster. With Pep taking over I think you will see a great improvement from Coby. The Colts will more than likely keep 4 or 5 TEs on the roster as the TE position is used a lot in Pep's offense. Yes Allen did have better numbers but part of that was due to the fact that Luck used him as a safety net because of being rushed big time. You give Luck the right amount of time for all of the receivers to run through their routes and Coby.s catches will improve. I cant believe the thought of Fleener not being a Colt even entered your mind.

A little reading comprehension on your part would go a far way, he wasn't saying fleener Dosent belong on the team. He is saying if you ha to choose one right now it wouldnt be fleener .

I think you will be right before it's all said and done. With Luck being under constant pressure Allen caught a lot of dump off passes. With an improvement in the O-line and Luck having more time in the pocket we should see an increase in catches. Fleener should have more catches with Luck having more time to find him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts keep 4 or 5 TEs on the roster. 

For right now, I've got the Colts penciled in for 3 TE's....

So,  I'll be surprised if we keep 4....   and I'll be more than stunned or shocked if we keep 5.     I think there is a near zero percent chance on that number.

So, Fleener is going to have more TDs than good blocks.

I don't expect us to have Fleener man blocking this year. He's just not strong enough for it. The most I wanna see him blocking is if he's gonna chip a DE to help our Tackles a bit. Other than that, I want him as our receiving TE where he got his rep from

Seems like everyone is liking Allen more than Fleener

of course they like Allen better. I know that Fleener missed a few games but he didnt play very well. Allen did everything better including blocking. Fleener dropped balls or got out of his routes waaaaay too much. Still too soon to say but Fleener would be the bust out of an otherwise steller draft.

of course they like Allen better. I know that Fleener missed a few games but he didnt play very well. Allen did everything better including blocking. Fleener dropped balls or got out of his routes waaaaay too much. Still too soon to say but Fleener would be the bust out of an otherwise steller draft.

Fleener a bust? What about Justin Anderson? Tim Fugger? They haven't even played in the NFL. At least Fleener played

It's wayyy too early to label Fleener as a bust

Fleener a bust? What about Justin Anderson? Tim Fugger? They haven't even played in the NFL. At least Fleener played

It's wayyy too early to label Fleener as a bust

Obviously calling Fleener a bust at this point is way too early, but why are you comparing the 34th pick to 7th rounders?

I don't exclude anyone. They were all drafted, so therefore they're all apart of the draft class imo

Well most reasonable people place different discussions on players based on where they were drafted.

24 catches 389 yards 2 TDs----------26 yards per game

26 catches 281 yards 2 TDs------23 yards per game

33 catches 368 yards 2 TDs---------23 yards per game

35 catches 347 yards 1 TD------------23 yards per game

Anyone calling Fleener a bust should look at the first years of many of the top TE's in the league.

1 of the guys above is Fleener and the other 3 are almost locks for the HOF.

A little reading comprehension on your part would go a far way, he wasn't saying fleener Dosent belong on the team. He is saying if you ha to choose one right now it wouldnt be fleener .

The problem with that is the 'if' word. Fleener will be a Colt.  The hypothetical question means nothing.